Looks like they are testing magic band stuff at DL today!

I have tried mm+ and fp+. I liked the bands themselves, but fp+ is not an improvement, imo. I did not like all the preplanning involved. I *love* that dlr requires so little planning, and will be sad if that changes.

We have tried it and didn't like it either. We stay onsite and I would not want to have the "option" of scheduling 3 in advance. I love keeping our days open and knowing that we have a blank slate every morning.

We have tried it and didn't like it either. We stay onsite and I would not want to have the "option" of scheduling 3 in advance. I love keeping our days open and knowing that we have a blank slate every morning.

Key word is option. No one has to use FP. You can always use Standby. No one is being forced to plan ahead, just opt out.

Personally, I look forward to not having to wait in line for a RSR FP, then run across to DL to get an Indy or SM FP.

Last edited:
Key word is option. No one has to use FP. You can always use Standby. No one is being forced to plan ahead, just opt out.

Personally, I look forward to not having to wait in line for a RSR FP, then run across to DL to get an Indy or SM FP.
There's ways they can eliminate going from attraction to attraction to get fp, without instituting the 60 day preplanning.

Yes, I'm aware that standby is an option. But I'm sure you knew I was aware that was an option. It's just not one I prefer to use.

And even if I choose not to use the system, the mere fact that everyone else around me is using it changes things for me. If everyone around me is scheduling ahead, FPs for same day are diminished and I have less options.

The Castmember is wrong. The only APs that Disneyland issues that have RFID chips in them are the Premier Passports.

Castmember is wrong? :rolleyes: Doesn't surprise me. He did ask for my DLAP # but it's actually the PREM # so yes, you're right, I have the premier pass and that has the RFID.

Yes, keyword is option but I prefer to choose the option of waiting a few minutes in the FP line over the 90 minute standby wait.

I loath FP+. It has really eroded the value of our vacation dollars at WDW to the point where it's the #1 reason I sold our DVC shares. There are other reasons, but simply getting charged more to do less (and that is directly related to FP+) is not what I signed up for.

Enjoy your last few months without FP+ at Disneyland because the whole experience will change once it's implemented (and it will be implemented, they didn't blow through 2 billion dollars to use it at one park).

I loath FP+. It has really eroded the value of our vacation dollars at WDW to the point where it's the #1 reason I sold our DVC shares. There are other reasons, but simply getting charged more to do less (and that is directly related to FP+) is not what I signed up for.

Enjoy your last few months without FP+ at Disneyland because the whole experience will change once it's implemented (and it will be implemented, they didn't blow through 2 billion dollars to use it at one park).

Wow, you really put your money where your mouth is. I'm sorry it got so bad you had to sell your DVC. You're not the only person feeling that strongly about the direction things have gone.

Same here. I am a DLR local and don't plan my visit months in advance. It's usually just within the week or even just the night before when I decide to go. So there's no way I can make that FP+ reservation in advance. We're planning on going to WDW next month and had to book the FP+ at 60 days (onsite stay) and that was a pain in the butt. Not everything we wanted was available and had to stalk the FP+ website for a possible cancellation...pain in the butt and giant waste of my time!!!

I see a potential problem with the FP+ at DLR. As an AP holder and not staying on site, I'll be able to book the FP+ 30 days out. Since I don't really know when I'm going until last minute, I can theoretically book FP+ for every single day (rolling 30 days) in case I decide to go. Then that means I'm taking up the FP+ from someone who's definitely going. Is this happening at WDW too?

I haven't been to DL yet (our first trip is in May) but from an outsiders perspective, I believe the increase in AP costs + the addition of FP+ seem to go hand in hand as Disney is trying to limit the number of locals since the crowd levels at DL have gotten so crazy. It's widely known as a local's park and doesn't attract as many people as WDW because no one wants to travel all the way there just to stand in 2+ hour lines (which they have to do since they won't be able to visit again).

I'm not saying it's right for Disneyland to start turning away loyal, local APHs ...that's just what it seems like they are doing, so it makes sense that they would implement FP+ there too.

I haven't been to DL yet (our first trip is in May) but from an outsiders perspective, I believe the increase in AP costs + the addition of FP+ seem to go hand in hand as Disney is trying to limit the number of locals since the crowd levels at DL have gotten so crazy. It's widely known as a local's park and doesn't attract as many people as WDW because no one wants to travel all the way there just to stand in 2+ hour lines (which they have to do since they won't be able to visit again).

I'm not saying it's right for Disneyland to start turning away loyal, local APHs ...that's just what it seems like they are doing, so it makes sense that they would implement FP+ there too.

I believe if they were to overlay FP+ into DLR the way it exists in WDW, the locals at DLR would make the issue far worse. (because of their sheer numbers being able to book things up in advance).

All I can do is hope that it will be vastly different if really comes to DLR.

I am not a local. I am one of those people who travels half way across the country. I stay onsite, eat all of our meals onsite and buy a decent amount of souvenirs. And FP+ only makes me not want to go back. All FP+ has done for me at WDW is make me use more standby lines instead of FP.

I believe if they were to overlay FP+ into DLR the way it exists in WDW, the locals at DLR would make the issue far worse. (because of their sheer numbers being able to book things up in advance).

All I can do is hope that it will be vastly different if really comes to DLR.

I am not a local. I am one of those people who travels half way across the country. I stay onsite, eat all of our meals onsite and buy a decent amount of souvenirs. And FP+ only makes me not want to go back. All FP+ has done for me at WDW is make me use more standby lines instead of FP.

I can see that...they would definitely have to make the system different at DL so that APH's don't block off all of the FPs because they "might" use them...this doesn't seem to be a problem at WDW with locals that are AP holders.

Maybe Disney is hoping that the increase in AP prices will make it less likely for locals to go anyway, and that would in itself solve that problem. Who knows...

We despise FP+. We have had 3 WDW trips with it, and in between we have had 2 DLR trips, and one of the things we like best about DLR is not having to deal with, be locked in by, or be limited by FP+. At the times we used to go to WDW we walked onto Small World, Pirates, Nemo, and Figment even in the afternoons. Now we find 20 to 30 minute waits for those rides. We feel like we run across the park back and forth with FP+, and it totally takes the flexibility out of our day. We love the ability to gauge our FP use at DLR by how the day is actually going, how the lines are that day, and where we are in the parks at any given time. In fact, DH has said for over the past year if it was not for EPCOT, and also for Food and Wine at EPCOT, he would be fine sticking to DLR and not going back to WDW and dealing with FP+.

While we would be VERY unhappy to see FP+ come to DLR, I will say there is a possibility it might not be quite as bad there, although it would still increase the standby lines. At WDW, I haven't been able to ride Rockin Roller Coaster at DHS the last 2 trips because of the FP+ tiers (TSM is a must for DD). DD won't ride it and where DH and I used to FP it and take turns, now we can't get FP for it and won't take the family time away from DD to each spend the time in line without FP. We tried to take turns single rider our last trip, but the standby line was 50 minutes, and DH took almost 40 minutes to do single rider, so I skipped it as we had already lost that much family time. Also, while DD is old enough for single rider for TT, I know other people who have kids who complain that the tiers have really caused problems in the TT/Soarin battle since you can only FP+ one, particularly when they have kids who don't agree on which one of those they want on their FP+ if they are only going to EPCOT one day. At DHS it is near impossible to get a 4th FP for another Tier 1 ride, or for anything worthwhile, and at EPCOT it is not much better. The only place FP+ is remotely close to tolerable is MK because there are so many attractions there that the use for FP+ gets spread out and you can get a 4th FP+ for decent rides and sometimes even a 5th and 6th. Since DLR and CA are so compact and do have lots of attractions, there likely would not be tiers and the selections of people could be spread out enough that while it would still be an annoyance, it would not be as trip impacting and flexibility destroying as it as at WDW. But, I would worry about the impact of the people who book things up in advance in case they decide to come to DLR that day, but then change their mind.

While we hate FP+, we do love the Magicbands. I can see them bringing those to DLR. It can totally see them providing them to resort hotel guests, and then having them for sale to anyone else, just like they do at WDW. Since the batteries only last 2 years and there are a large number of AP holders for DLR, then they know that they could get repeat sales of the bands. Plus, they are really pushing their designed Magicband patterns now (such as the HM wallpaper print), as opposed to the free single color resort ones--I had to tell DD "No- that I was not going to pay for a design magic band that she would never wear at home" about 100 times on our WDW trip a couple of weeks ago. Seems like they could create a pretty big market at DLR for those with the locals.

Last edited:

Although, if FP+ comes to DL as currently implemented in WDW, you won't be able to book FPs across parks until after you use the first 3. So, You'll have to pick whether you want to FP RSR or Indy/SM and probably, by the time you use your three FPs and hop over, then Indy/SM FP options will be gone.

I've now taken three trips with Magic Bands and FP+, and I love both. MB's for the fact that I can lock my wallet in the safe in my hotel room, and can enter the park(s) and make all food and merchandise purchases with a tap of my wrist (although to be honest - and I have no doubt that this was Disney's intent - when all you have to do is tap, as opposed to pulling out a credit card or cash, it doesn't "feel" like you are spending "real" money, which leads to significantly fewer second-thoughts at the payment counters).

And for my family, FP+'s work great. We hit the parks at rope drop and power through until noon, take a break in the afternoons and head back to the hotel pool, and then come back to the park in the evening and know that we have three guaranteed rides/parade/fireworks.

Conceptually, FP+'s work well at a place like WDW, where you have a very limited number of rides that are spread out over four different parks, so they also provide the opportunity to park hop (unlike DL/DCA, park hopping at WDW involves a heck of alot of pre-planning and a minimum 20-40 minute bus ride) and know that you will be able to ride (at least some of) what you want at the second park, even though you weren't there first thing in the morning to grab FP's (unlike DL/DCA, once the daily allotment of FP's was gone, they were gone - for some of the more popular rides, they were often gone by late morning or early afternoon).

Much of the consternation and teeth gnashing about FP+'s at WDW has been with respect to tiering, where you are only allowed to pick one headliner and then two lesser rides (for which you would never have needed FP's in the past - I'm looking at you, Captain EO). In a park like Epcot, you only have two headliners - Soarin' and Test Track - so tiering is a necessary evil in order to allow people a reasonable opportunity to hopefully ride one of them via FP, as opposed to those staying onsite with 60 day booking ability to book both, which would effectively shut everyone else out. Same story at Hollywood Studios, where you have TSMM, the Aerosmith coaster and ToT, or at Animal Kingdon, where you have Everest, the Safari and Kali River Rapids. At DL, I can't see tiering being necessary, because all of the headliners are within a 5 minute walk of each other.

Some on the WDW boards also get their backs up about the 60 day booking policy (30 day, if you're not staying onsite) for FP+'s. I'll give them that one - it seems ridiculous to have to figure out which park you want to be at, that far in advance. That being said, it's still less ridiculous than the "I hope you know what kind of food you'll be in the mood for 180 days from now" advanced dining reservation policy, because in most cases, if you don't book the more popular restaurants 6 months out, you're not getting in. In Disney's defence, I can see why they would want people to commit as far out as possible - my assumption is that once you have people committed with reservations (for food and/or rides), they are less likely to cancel their trip or decide at the last minute to spend the day offsite at Universal or Sea World.

All to say, Magic Bands are great and for some FP+ are great as well (although what makes them great at WDW, wouldn't necessarily apply at DL/DCA).

All to say, Magic Bands are great and for some FP+ are great as well (although what makes them great at WDW, wouldn't necessarily apply at DL/DCA).

And herein lies our point....WDW and DL are two different worlds; the style of touring and the type of visitors are vastly different which is why we don't think FP+ in its current WDW form would work at DL.

I sure hope it wouldn't just be hotel guests but also gns or every one. I would love to make fp+ reservations.

I'm 100% onboard with MagicBands coming to DLR. FP+...not so much. We did WDW in April, 2014 (right before they started letting you book more than three each day) and, while I made the system work, I wasn't crazy about it. I'd rather stick with the legacy FPs and get them based on what I want to do at that moment, not what I thought I MIGHT want to do 60 days previously.

This was just posted on InsidetheMagic:

Update (10/20/15): A Disneyland official reached out to elaborate on the testing following the publication of this article. According to the company representative, the test for now is just for Space Mountain, in which Disney is gauging the efficiency of using a barcode-based FastPass reader at the ride’s entrance. If the test goes well, future paper FastPasses could have bar codes printed on them for quick scanning. The Disney representative could not offer any further comment on whether the test is related to any potential inclusion of MyMagic+, MagicBands, or FastPass+ at the Disneyland Resort, only to say that they are frequently testing new technologies to see what works in the parks.

All I can say is these barcode scanners were never part of magic band testing or FP+ testing and don't make much sense for either to be honest. I think what is going on is that they may be figured out a system to go paperless. You could scan your admission at the current fastpass distribution points and then scan it when your return time is available at the ride. Once you scan you admission ticket (either regular ticket, ap, or whatever fancy thing they come up with) you can then see your return time on your app. They could save a bunch of money going paperless as I imagine paper fastpass cost adds up over time and isn't really eco friendly.

While I think that MB might be a good thing at DLR for hotel stays, park admission/in park purchases, and to keep track of ADRs, I just don't think FP+ would be a good thing.

We are AP holders that live a few hours away and visit on a very regular basis as my husband does business down there. We only know we are going to DL anywhere from a few days to a week in advance, usually only a few days. We love the fact that we can just show up at the park and decide which park and what ride we are doing at that moment! We also like being able to see wait times and FP wait times and deciding whether we will use the standby line or pull a FP. We also just fly by the seat of our pants as to what our schedule will be that day. You just can't do that with FP+! It would take away the spontaneity, and that is how we use the parks. I think most local AP holders also use the parks in this way.

We visited WDW last year for a week. We had 5 day one park per day tickets. We absolutely despised FP+. Having first to decide which park to go to on which day, and then because we weren't staying onsite, it was a pain to get rides that we wanted to do. AND we didn't do any ADRs because you couldn't get into any of the good restaurants. While we still had fun, we didn't get to do a lot of the things we had wanted to experience. It was a bummer and we decided that we didn't need to come back, at least not for a long time.

As far as ADRs at DLR, you can already schedule those ahead of time, so that wouldn't really change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter