Looks like they are testing magic band stuff at DL today!

I'm another one in the minority who love MB & FP+. The legacy FP system in DL is the only thing I dread about for my upcoming DL trip. I'm the runner for my family and I really don't want to run to get the next FP anymore--I'm getting too old for this. I keep telling myself that DL has a smaller footprint and it will not be too bad--but is it?? Just thinking about walking from Fantasyland to California Adventure then back again-- :headache:

We feel like we run across the park back and forth with FP+,
Amen! I feel like it's always said that there's less criss crossing with FP+...even earlier in this thread something like that was said. That was not what we found to be the case. At WDW we used to (and still do at DLR) tour from land to land around the park (no criss crossing), and it was always easy to pick up legacy FP as we went along. Say we'd pick up a FP for space, then we'd do other rides in tomorrowland until we could use our FP. No crisscrossing. No FP "running" at all. No sending someone ahead to get FPs either.

That wasn't what happened with FP+. Some of it was not planning well on my part, but some of it was all we were able to book (no other availability). We criss crossed far more with FP+ than we *ever* did under legacy.

All I can say is these barcode scanners were never part of magic band testing or FP+ testing and don't make much sense for either to be honest. I think what is going on is that they may be figured out a system to go paperless. You could scan your admission at the current fastpass distribution points and then scan it when your return time is available at the ride. Once you scan you admission ticket (either regular ticket, ap, or whatever fancy thing they come up with) you can then see your return time on your app. They could save a bunch of money going paperless as I imagine paper fastpass cost adds up over time and isn't really eco friendly.

I'm on board with going paperless as long as they don't change the 'rules' of how you can pull them (having to be in a park, one every two hours or when the window opens, whichever is first)

This was just posted on InsidetheMagic:Update (10/20/15): A Disneyland official reached out to elaborate on the testing following the publication of this article. According to the company representative, the test for now is just for Space Mountain, in which Disney is gauging the efficiency of using a barcode-based FastPass reader at the ride’s entrance. If the test goes well, future paper FastPasses could have bar codes printed on them for quick scanning. The Disney representative could not offer any further comment on whether the test is related to any potential inclusion of MyMagic+, MagicBands, or FastPass+ at the Disneyland Resort, only to say that they are frequently testing new technologies to see what works in the parks.

All I can say is these barcode scanners were never part of magic band testing or FP+ testing and don't make much sense for either to be honest. I think what is going on is that they may be figured out a system to go paperless. You could scan your admission at the current fastpass distribution points and then scan it when your return time is available at the ride. Once you scan you admission ticket (either regular ticket, ap, or whatever fancy thing they come up with) you can then see your return time on your app. They could save a bunch of money going paperless as I imagine paper fastpass cost adds up over time and isn't really eco friendly.

When I read this, I thought that it makes sense. Space Mountain is about to become even more popular than it already is because of the Hyperspace Mountain overlay. It is the perfect ride to test any new FP procedures on.

These are some of the ideas I agree with and have mentioned before.

I don't have a problem with an enhanced form of FP. Let's face it, technology is advancing and issuing paper FPs is definitely old school. I would welcome being able to use my phone or a kiosk to make FP reservations. And scanning myself into the FP line sounds great. I would absolutely welcome same day FPs made available in the parks by the app or by kiosk. But I would hope that DL would put in some seriously good wifi before doing this.

Definitely need to go paperless. I'm sure it's coming. I like the idea of scanning your ticket in the FP machine and having the FP "loaded" onto your ticket. I also like the idea of using the Disneyland APP to book the FP on your phone.

What I would love is FP for firework and Parades. yes please mama. I like the idea of not having paper FP's because they always get lost sweaty or wet. Id much rather scan something on the phone or magic band.

The night shows NEED some form of FP+. So many people complain about how they want this seating area or that show time and that the current FP systems for WOC and Fantasmic! do not allow for them to choose what they want.

I think that the system will definitely incorporate the Disneyland hotel guests getting to book 3 fast passes in advance per day. This not only makes sense from a business standpoint as it gives a perk to their hotel guests,

I agree. They allow those staying onsite the ability to prebook FP for the period they're onsite and have tickets for just like at WDW. This is a great way to promote their hotels.

I'm on board with going paperless as long as they don't change the 'rules' of how you can pull them (having to be in a park, one every two hours or when the window opens, whichever is first)

Yes, I think you should have to be in the park (excluding hotel guests) to reserve your FP. If they kept the same basic rules, but made it paperless (possibly app based), it would work relatively well and not be a huge learning curve for the thousands of AP holders.

I sure hope it wouldn't just be hotel guests but also gns or every one. I would love to make fp+ reservations.

I was thinking this too. We liked using the magic bands & FP+ at WDW, but we were staying onsite & booked it several months in advance. Since we live in CA, our trips to DL are usually last-minute. Besides, there are only 3 DLR hotels, compared to over 25 at WDW. We never stay onsite at DL due to the cost, and it would be a bummer to be excluded. I really don't think they will implement the magic bands or FP+ since there are so few hotels & most guests stay offsite.

This seems like a great option from what I'm reading in these posts. As an AP holder I don't always get to the park at opening. And because of that I can almost never get a fastpass to RSR. They are always out. I think because everyone that enters the park gets one since the kiosk is along a walkway (the only one I'm aware of that you don't have to walk to the ride entrance area to get one).
With FP+ I could arrange it ahead of time, then go to the park at my leisure and ride RSR.
Seems like a great idea to me. But I wonder how many people who can't get good cell reception there will even be able to check their plans they made? Maybe write it all down before you go?
I'm pretty sure the drawback of those who don't pre-arrange their fastpasses would be outweighed by the huge numbers that would and thereby make the visit much more enjoyable.
No more walking all the way to the various attractions only to find out fastpasses are all gone.

No more walking all the way to the various attractions only to find out fastpasses are all gone.

We haven't needed to do that at DLR since prior to 2011. There are cell phone apps that have had that information - both unogfficial and official ones. We used the Verizon Disney Mobile Magic app back in 2011. The info available on Touring Plans' Lines app and Mousewait was just as accurate as the official Mobile Magic app. Even the current official app now has FP return times listed. And Ask Otto has been around for a while as well, IIRC. (since 2012, according to disney parks blog)

There's no *need* to walk all the way to an attraction to check on availability.

We haven't needed to do that at DLR since prior to 2011. There are cell phone apps that have had that information - both unogfficial and official ones. We used the Verizon Disney Mobile Magic app back in 2011. The info available on Touring Plans' Lines app and Mousewait was just as accurate as the official Mobile Magic app. Even the current official app now has FP return times listed. And Ask Otto has been around for a while as well, IIRC. (since 2012, according to disney parks blog)

There's no *need* to walk all the way to an attraction to check on availability.
I don't have a Data plan for my phone, so for me, and many others there is the "need" to walk to the attractions. I am on a pay-as-you-go plan.
I'm more excited about the FP+ system the more I read about it. Guests can arrive at the park just about any time they want to and still get to ride what they want for those attractions. It could potentially reduce crowding, although I'm not an expert with that impact. But at least I for one, would not be in the park if my fastpass wasn't until a certain time. Especially happy I could finally get to ride RSR without a 90 minute wait and not have to arrive so early!

I'm another one in the minority who love MB & FP+. The legacy FP system in DL is the only thing I dread about for my upcoming DL trip. I'm the runner for my family and I really don't want to run to get the next FP anymore--I'm getting too old for this. I keep telling myself that DL has a smaller footprint and it will not be too bad--but is it?? Just thinking about walking from Fantasyland to California Adventure then back again-- :headache:

I don't understand the bolded as it pertains to this matter. With FP+ (as set up in WDW), no you won't be running between FL and DCA - because you won't even be able to get FP's for 2 different parks at the same time. Running between the two parks is a pain though - which is why we choose not to do it. If you do choose to, then it's good that you have that option imo.

I don't have a Data plan for my phone, so for me, and many others there is the "need" to walk to the attractions. I am on a pay-as-you-go plan.
I'm more excited about the FP+ system the more I read about it. Guests can arrive at the park just about any time they want to and still get to ride what they want for those attractions. It could potentially reduce crowding, although I'm not an expert with that impact. But at least I for one, would not be in the park if my fastpass wasn't until a certain time. Especially happy I could finally get to ride RSR without a 90 minute wait and not have to arrive so early!
You don't need data to use ask otto.

I understand the appeal of FP+. I like the concept in theory. Having actually experienced it in WDW, I was not a fan. I don't think it will work in DLR if they implement it as they have at WDW.

It sounds really nice to say that you won't have to walk to a ride to find out if there's FP+ available, but that very much depends on how they implement it and where they put kiosks (if you aren't using your phone). At MK they have messed around with the # and locations of kiosks constantly. We had just ridden BTMRR, and to find out if there were any more FP+ for BTMRR or Splash, we needed to walk all the way to the front of Frontierland - well past both attractions - to the kiosk located at the passage between Adventureland and Frontierland. It would have been much more convenient to be able to walk to the ride seeing as how that's where we were. But no indication at the ride as to whether or not there were FP+ available. The kiosk locations were so few in Epcot that we literally never saw an open one (the only one we saw was in the center of the Innoventions plaza, and it was closed w/covers over the machines each time we walked by).

No article I've read from EasyWDW or TouringPlans about the impact of FP+ has indicated that it has reduced crowding. I suggest looking through both of those websites and reading their articles about the impact FP+ has had. I know EasyWDW had one just recently, in the past week or so.

ETA: I completely get wanting it to be easier to get a RSR FP. However, IME, the tradeoff is not worth it. Better FP+ access for one ride is not worth - to me - what it does (or at least what it has done in WDW) to the waits and FP availability for the rest of the rides.

This was just posted on InsidetheMagic:

Update (10/20/15): A Disneyland official reached out to elaborate on the testing following the publication of this article. According to the company representative, the test for now is just for Space Mountain, in which Disney is gauging the efficiency of using a barcode-based FastPass reader at the ride’s entrance. If the test goes well, future paper FastPasses could have bar codes printed on them for quick scanning. The Disney representative could not offer any further comment on whether the test is related to any potential inclusion of MyMagic+, MagicBands, or FastPass+ at the Disneyland Resort, only to say that they are frequently testing new technologies to see what works in the parks.
FastPasses already have bar codes.
Several years ago, a CM was midway up the SM line using a handheld scanner to check fastpasses. Might have been testing another system, or perhaps looking for counterfeit fastpasses.

FP+ isn't coming to DL its already been proven to be false that it is.

They were just scanners for fast passes at Space Mountain, and honestly I think that is a good thing because there will be so many people trying to fake fast passes or shove their way through the fast pass line I am sure. Hopefully it will make things go smoother. I wouldn't mind having a fast past reader at rides because its hard for the CM to look at the pass carefully and all that.

I haven't even heard of counterfeit FP at DLR. I guess the scanning can prevent that.

If they go paperless, they better have a better app that doesn't glitch too often. I've used their app several times to check wait times and available FP and 50% of the time, I get the "-" for the wait time meaning it is having a problem with updating. Internet connection is ridiculously slow too (with both AT&T and Verizon wireless carriers). So if I have to check their app for the exact time of my FP (since I often forget), they better have a convenient way to double check the time.

I've now taken three trips with Magic Bands and FP+, and I love both. MB's for the fact that I can lock my wallet in the safe in my hotel room, and can enter the park(s) and make all food and merchandise purchases with a tap of my wrist (although to be honest - and I have no doubt that this was Disney's intent - when all you have to do is tap, as opposed to pulling out a credit card or cash, it doesn't "feel" like you are spending "real" money, which leads to significantly fewer second-thoughts at the payment counters).

And for my family, FP+'s work great. We hit the parks at rope drop and power through until noon, take a break in the afternoons and head back to the hotel pool, and then come back to the park in the evening and know that we have three guaranteed rides/parade/fireworks.

Conceptually, FP+'s work well at a place like WDW, where you have a very limited number of rides that are spread out over four different parks, so they also provide the opportunity to park hop (unlike DL/DCA, park hopping at WDW involves a heck of alot of pre-planning and a minimum 20-40 minute bus ride) and know that you will be able to ride (at least some of) what you want at the second park, even though you weren't there first thing in the morning to grab FP's (unlike DL/DCA, once the daily allotment of FP's was gone, they were gone - for some of the more popular rides, they were often gone by late morning or early afternoon).

Much of the consternation and teeth gnashing about FP+'s at WDW has been with respect to tiering, where you are only allowed to pick one headliner and then two lesser rides (for which you would never have needed FP's in the past - I'm looking at you, Captain EO). In a park like Epcot, you only have two headliners - Soarin' and Test Track - so tiering is a necessary evil in order to allow people a reasonable opportunity to hopefully ride one of them via FP, as opposed to those staying onsite with 60 day booking ability to book both, which would effectively shut everyone else out. Same story at Hollywood Studios, where you have TSMM, the Aerosmith coaster and ToT, or at Animal Kingdon, where you have Everest, the Safari and Kali River Rapids. At DL, I can't see tiering being necessary, because all of the headliners are within a 5 minute walk of each other.

Some on the WDW boards also get their backs up about the 60 day booking policy (30 day, if you're not staying onsite) for FP+'s. I'll give them that one - it seems ridiculous to have to figure out which park you want to be at, that far in advance. That being said, it's still less ridiculous than the "I hope you know what kind of food you'll be in the mood for 180 days from now" advanced dining reservation policy, because in most cases, if you don't book the more popular restaurants 6 months out, you're not getting in. In Disney's defence, I can see why they would want people to commit as far out as possible - my assumption is that once you have people committed with reservations (for food and/or rides), they are less likely to cancel their trip or decide at the last minute to spend the day offsite at Universal or Sea World.

All to say, Magic Bands are great and for some FP+ are great as well (although what makes them great at WDW, wouldn't necessarily apply at DL/DCA).
Of course for FP+ to come here they would have to do something like put out schedules in advance... We hope for 60 days, we would really like 45 days and they are doing what- 30 days-ish atm- :rolleyes:I'm thinking DLR would have to get their scheduling act together first and that doesn't seem likely lol :lmao:

I don't understand the bolded as it pertains to this matter. With FP+ (as set up in WDW), no you won't be running between FL and DCA - because you won't even be able to get FP's for 2 different parks at the same time. Running between the two parks is a pain though - which is why we choose not to do it. If you do choose to, then it's good that you have that option imo.

How do you know that it will be set up like WDW. It may not. You don`t have to take a bus between parks at Anaheim.

Of course for FP+ to come here they would have to do something like put out schedules in advance... We hope for 60 days, we would really like 45 days and they are doing what- 30 days-ish atm- :rolleyes:I'm thinking DLR would have to get their scheduling act together first and that doesn't seem likely lol :lmao:

WDW generally has their scheduling act more together than DLR. But they don't let FP+ stop them from making last minute changes, or out and out cancelling big groups of fastpasses for various reasons once scheduled. It's crazy sometimes.

How do you know that it will be set up like WDW. It may not. You don`t have to take a bus between parks at Anaheim.

Well I don't. I'd put money on it though. If only because of RSR. In any case, we are discussing the subject. No one knows anything. Or if they do, they're not posting here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter