Looking for your best advice RE: Diabetic at Disney

zebrastreyepz

DIS Veteran
DH was diagnosed end of January. He uses insulin both long acting and fast acting.

I've discovered the FRIO bag for his insulin but are there better options for keeping insulin cool?

Also, bringing syringes into the park via security? Any hiccups/hangups/do we need a doctor's note?

I'll ask here, also, about any food experiences/advice. I'll also ask on the dining board about that part.

Yes, the FRIO works well. Be aware of storing insulin in the resort mini fridge as they often aren't consistent with temps.

Ask housekeeping for a Sharps container for your room, and most if not all restrooms in the parks have them now. No doctor's note necessary for security or the Sharps container.

Bring more testing supplies than usual -- and then double that. Test often. The heat and physical activity may cause him to drop low more easily. He may find that he doesn't need to worry as closely about what he eats.

WDW is getting better at providing nutritional info, but be aware that it may not always be available. Have your preferred app available for estimating.

And stay hydrated! Don't wait until you feel thirsty -- that goes for all guests, not just diabetics.

Thank you all! Any idea of what to do about a frig not working properly? Should we bring a thermometer to test the frig, for instance?

I usually wrap the insulin bottles in a dishtowel or similar and put them into something else (plastic ziplock container type) and then put the whole thing into the fridge. I do NOT trust the fridges when I travel. As @gap2368 says you shouldn't need to refrigerate the insulin you're using. The extra bottles I bring I don't refrigerate since we'd use them before 4 weeks. The frio bag works fine in the parks if it's a super hot day but I've also kept the insulin in my bag and never noticed it got that hot. Frio is reusable and worth buying if you don't have it.

Is he type 1 or 2?

One of my kids (now young adult) has type 1 and has had since he was 2 years old and we go to the parks a lot. He essentially eats like any young man would (a lot of food) and boluses for what he eats. He doesn't modify his meals because of diabetes all that much (less sugary drinks). YMMV if your husband is type 2. I don't know how common insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors are for type 2 (if he is) but an insulin pump makes giving insulin much much easier and a CGMS is crucial for staying on top of highs and lows.

If you do a search in this forum there's many, many posts about diabetes and Disney. :)

Last edited:
You'll be doing a lot more walking. You might need a lot less insulin. Talk to your medical professional about reducing your long acting insulin.
Always have something with you to treat lows.

Lady Jane Unless something has recently changed Disney doesn't offer calorie or carb information. Disney uses a loophole to avoid being required to provide nutritional data.
You may know your blood sugars are off but might confuse highs and lows. Test.

A PP mentioned insulin pumps and CGM.
You need to check with your doctor and your insurance. Coverage can vary substantially. Coverage for both is frequently better for Type 1.

DH was diagnosed end of January. He uses insulin both long acting and fast acting.

I've discovered the FRIO bag for his insulin but are there better options for keeping insulin cool?

Also, bringing syringes into the park via security? Any hiccups/hangups/do we need a doctor's note?

I'll ask here, also, about any food experiences/advice. I'll also ask on the dining board about that part.
you can go to the first aid stations in the parks they will store it in refrigerator for you.

Unless something has recently changed Disney doesn't offer calorie or carb information.
With the advent of mobile ordering I believe some locations have it available. However i wouldn’t expect it or rely on it which is why I recommended using an app since the OP is relatively new to estimating.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone. I'm feeling more comfortable about this.
My mom has Type 2, but takes insulin as well as long acting meds. The last two times we have went, she needed very little insulin. We had a couple drops in her blood glucose levels we had to deal with, which she carries snacks or stops and gets fruit or juice to deal with it, and she takes a break in the shade or air conditioning. She has an injection pen for her insulin, and we had no problem with taking it in. She has a little bag like the Frio that she uses and even in the middle of June, it worked fine.

Lots of great advice above. I’m T1, and if there’s any one piece of advice I would repeat, it’s to test much more often than you would at home. The symptoms of highs or lows are incredibly easy to confuse with the fatigue, overstimulation, and heat that are common on a day in the parks.

I am feeling much more confident about our trip.

Another question: Do any of you build "breaks" into your schedule. In the past, we were 'go go go' kind of touring people.

Our T1D teen is a trooper at Disney - build in LOTS of breaks - SEEK SHADE, seriously. Sit often. Comfy shoes key. We've had a couple of emergency critical lows because he is a go-go-go type kid... CM are TRAINED for this - two times we asked a CM for assistance with a critical low and they immediately walked us to the closest snack stand and grabbed him an icecream or a sugar soda - on the house... very awesome. They asked if medical was needed, anything else they could get us. One KEY THING if you have a PUMP or CGM - tell the security you have these things and do NOT go through the magnetometer and do NOT get wanded - you can ask for a pat down. Also at security WARN the person going through your bag about medical sharps and bloodborne pathogen waste - they will accommodate and appreciate

Also at security WARN the person going through your bag about medical sharps and bloodborne pathogen waste - they will accommodate and appreciate

This - at WDW, have the above items in a clear ziploc at the top of your bag, take it out to show bag security. You can hold it while they check the rest of your bag if it makes you feel better (a friend does that, doesn't like the idea of it getting pushed around in the bag?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter