Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I'm boring and use the face that came with my Garmin. It tells me time, date & how many miles I've run for the week.

Do you have the 645 or am I remembering that wrong? (I cant remember who has which garmin anymore) I like that watch face better than any of the options the vivoactive3 had built-in. The default one was analog ... if I wanted an analog watch, I'd wear an analog watch.

That looks super useful- thanks for sharing! I think I'm gonna start with the default data fields, but if I want more (which I think I might), I'll try that one. Thanks!

Post-Run Thoughts:
1- I gotta figure out if there's a way to get this thing to make noise. I'm so used to listening for my alerts and I'm not sure how I feel about this vibration.
2 - If I do a workout with run and recovery intervals, I can't access my data screens during the recovery interval. Which is a little annoying. (If I do run/walk intervals I can, but I was planning on doing run/walk for easy intervals and workouts for everything else ... so we'll see what happens)
3 - I feel very unfulfilled right now. This run felt completely useless and why did I even do it. Thinking about maybe bringing running clothes to work and going for another mile or two in Central Park after work (which would bring my total to 4-5 miles when I'm only scheduled for 3 ... oops). I probably won't, though, because I'm lazy. But if there was any doubt in anyone's mind that my motivation is totally gone ... yeah.
4 - The good news ... I earned 1.2 beers today. I probably will not drink them.
5 - Am I not supposed to be able to control my music from the watch while I'm running? Or did I just miss something? (It doesn't really matter that much to me, since I could never control my music while running before, I just thought it was weird)

Last edited:
I only have the original Vivoactive and there is not option for beeping, just vibration. I thought I would hate it but got used to it very quickly. It is also helpful in a sea of beeping watches to know when my intervals stop/start without having to look to see if it was my watch. Just have to make sure you have it snug on your wrist. :)

Yup, I’ve got the 645. I’ve never used the interval option on any of my watches. I’ve always used the workout function (even when using intervals) and it beeps at you.

I only have the original Vivoactive and there is not option for beeping, just vibration. I thought I would hate it but got used to it very quickly. It is also helpful in a sea of beeping watches to know when my intervals stop/start without having to look to see if it was my watch. Just have to make sure you have it snug on your wrist. :)

Yeah, I definitely wont miss wondering if that was my beep or someone else's. It sounds like I may have to get used the vibration.
Which will be interesting during the winter when I normally wear my watch on top of my 5 layers of shirts. I might have to stop doing that.

Yup, I’ve got the 645. I’ve never used the interval option on any of my watches. I’ve always used the workout function (even when using intervals) and it beeps at you.

I used the workout function today and I dont remember beeps, but I may have not been paying attention. I'll have to try it again and see if it beeps. Thanks!

My 235 beeps and vibrates in the workout function too, but I normally only hear it and never feel it. Also, the Fenix 5S is currently $100 off and I am trying to be a good girl and not buy it. So I probably need to stop reading threads about all y'alls new fun technology until the sale ends to avoid temptation. LOL.

My 235 beeps and vibrates in the workout function too, but I normally only hear it and never feel it. Also, the Fenix 5S is currently $100 off and I am trying to be a good girl and not buy it. So I probably need to stop reading threads about all y'alls new fun technology until the sale ends to avoid temptation. LOL.

Yeah, I'm very glad that I just bought a new watch. That Fenix looks amazing, and for $100 off ... its tempting.

Did we say no more impulse purchases? Because I'm having a crappy day and I'm very tempted to buy minnie mouse capris, especially because I need a new pair of capris:
file_0339b366.jpeg

They'd be perfect for my marathon costume... if I run the marathon. Yes, that again.
I'm gonna need another 5,000 coffees today, so that should tell you my mental state, but ... I dunno, if things dont get better soon, i may walk the rest of my races for the year and then be done. Right now I cant imagine wanting to run. And that's not a good thing.

Post-Run Thoughts:
1- I gotta figure out if there's a way to get this thing to make noise. I'm so used to listening for my alerts and I'm not sure how I feel about this vibration.
2 - If I do a workout with run and recovery intervals, I can't access my data screens during the recovery interval. Which is a little annoying. (If I do run/walk intervals I can, but I was planning on doing run/walk for easy intervals and workouts for everything else ... so we'll see what happens)
3 - I feel very unfulfilled right now. This run felt completely useless and why did I even do it. Thinking about maybe bringing running clothes to work and going for another mile or two in Central Park after work (which would bring my total to 4-5 miles when I'm only scheduled for 3 ... oops). I probably won't, though, because I'm lazy. But if there was any doubt in anyone's mind that my motivation is totally gone ... yeah.
4 - The good news ... I earned 1.2 beers today. I probably will not drink them.
5 - Am I not supposed to be able to control my music from the watch while I'm running? Or did I just miss something? (It doesn't really matter that much to me, since I could never control my music while running before, I just thought it was weird)

2. If there's specific data you need during the recovery interval, you can go into that specific workout and make it a target. For my recovery intervals on the bike, I have a power alert and it will show me that and buzz if I'm in zone/out of zone. That said, my recovery periods are usually between :30-2:00, so I'm not sure I even need data at that point as long as I'm staying in the power I want to be in. I can see how it would be annoying that would be if you're doing a longer run. For example - here's my Fartlek workout for today ... HR Zone will be the data that shows in the Recovery interval (along with the countdown timer):

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 11.59.10 AM.png

But you can edit it to provide a different category of data (say, pace) - just click Edit Workout and here are your options:

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 12.00.33 PM.png

But other than that - like seeing distance or laps or whatever, you'll just have to wait until the recovery period is over.

5. As long as you have the Music Control widget installed, you can swipe OUT to the Main Page (watch face) and then swipe up/down to your music control screen (it's usually my first Widget when I swipe up; Stress Level is when I swipe down).

Hang in there. I've gone through phases like that where it feels kind of pointless and I'm not sure why, and I think it's more likely to happen when I'm overstressed and tired and just want nothing to do with anything, running included.

It might be worth considering what's going on in your life as a whole and where you're at stress-wise. I was reading a book last night about athletic training and adaptation that points out that, although life events don't give us the physical stress adaptations, they can increase some of the stress hormones and put our hormone balance out of whack (that's the technical term, you know ;)) and contribute to feeling drained and uninterested. In that case the right thing to do is to take into account the stress that life is throwing at you and cut back some of the training until you can bring your body's response back to where it should be.

Of course, that can be hard too, but worth a thought.

Did we say no more impulse purchases? Because I'm having a crappy day and I'm very tempted to buy minnie mouse capris, especially because I need a new pair of capris:
Let me be the voice of reason, instead of my usual enabling self. If you're not feeling your best, buying won't help. Wait a day and get them later. :)

They'd be perfect for my marathon costume... if I run the marathon. Yes, that again.
I'm gonna need another 5,000 coffees today,
You're running the marathon. And let's start with 5 cups... not 5,000 ;)

In all seriousness, hope your day/week gets better.

2. If there's specific data you need during the recovery interval, you can go into that specific workout and make it a target. For my recovery intervals on the bike, I have a power alert and it will show me that and buzz if I'm in zone/out of zone. That said, my recovery periods are usually between :30-2:00, so I'm not sure I even need data at that point as long as I'm staying in the power I want to be in. I can see how it would be annoying that would be if you're doing a longer run. For example - here's my Fartlek workout for today ... HR Zone will be the data that shows in the Recovery interval (along with the countdown timer):

screen-shot-2018-06-06-at-11-59-10-am-png.327694

But you can edit it to provide a different category of data (say, pace) - just click Edit Workout and here are your options:

screen-shot-2018-06-06-at-12-00-33-pm-png.327695

But other than that - like seeing distance or laps or whatever, you'll just have to wait until the recovery period is over.

This is good info. I did not know you could set an intensity target. That will be good for if I want to monitor pace or something during my recovery intervals.

5. As long as you have the Music Control widget installed, you can swipe OUT to the Main Page (watch face) and then swipe up/down to your music control screen (it's usually my first Widget when I swipe up; Stress Level is when I swipe down).

I also did not know that you can swipe out to the main screen.
I need to find the instruction manual for this thing and read it cover to cover. I dont know how to use this thing.

Hang in there. I've gone through phases like that where it feels kind of pointless and I'm not sure why, and I think it's more likely to happen when I'm overstressed and tired and just want nothing to do with anything, running included.

It might be worth considering what's going on in your life as a whole and where you're at stress-wise. I was reading a book last night about athletic training and adaptation that points out that, although life events don't give us the physical stress adaptations, they can increase some of the stress hormones and put our hormone balance out of whack (that's the technical term, you know ;)) and contribute to feeling drained and uninterested. In that case the right thing to do is to take into account the stress that life is throwing at you and cut back some of the training until you can bring your body's response back to where it should be.

Of course, that can be hard too, but worth a thought.

Thanks for the insight. It definitely something to consider ... I do have some stress going on outside of running, and its important for me to remember that that could be a contributing factor.
Although I'd also have to figure out why this has all been happening over the last few weeks when this stress has been going on for a few months. But it's something to think about for sure.
(Also, I have a degree in bio and a degree in health sciences, so I can in fact confirm that "out of whack" is in fact the correct technical terminology)

Let me be the voice of reason, instead of my usual enabling self. If you're not feeling your best, buying won't help. Wait a day and get them later. :)

It's very weird to see someone being the voice of reason around here.
But ... you're right. The capris are cute, but buying them because I'm grouchy wont solve any problems. In the long term, waiting and getting cheaper capris elsewhere is a better idea.

You're running the marathon. And let's start with 5 cups... not 5,000 ;)

But ... I want all the coffee!!

In all seriousness, hope your day/week gets better.
Thank you. :hug:

YOU'RE RUNNING THE MARATHON!!!!!

I haven't totally ruled out the idea of trying to walk it. In which case, costume still stands.
Or maybe I'll just walk 5k/10k and do a booze stop for the marathon. That seems more reasonable.

You know I am not gonna let you quit me now! You're my future Marathon buddy!!

I was going to text you to ask if you were okay with me skipping the marathon, but then I realized that I already knew that the answer was no.

Thanks for the insight. It definitely something to consider ... I do have some stress going on outside of running, and its important for me to remember that that could be a contributing factor.
Although I'd also have to figure out why this has all been happening over the last few weeks when this stress has been going on for a few months. But it's something to think about for sure.
(Also, I have a degree in bio and a degree in health sciences, so I can in fact confirm that "out of whack" is in fact the correct technical terminology
Build-up, would be my guess. We can function for a while on reserves but once those get shot everything goes downhill. Also you've just run a few races, which can make running feel like more of a chore/anxiety thing sometimes, especially with some of the uncertainty over the will you/won't you run them. (I both love races and hate them for this reason.)

It's okay to take a break or slow down if you need to. Take off all the devices and just go for a run for the hell of it, no matter what the schedule says. Find something that makes it feel joyful again - and if there's nothing there right now, that's okay too. But don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes life just sucks and tomorrow is a new day. :hug:

I'm late to the party....

Those capris are super cute, but I agree to wait a few days to see if you still want them. Would they get worn in everyday life? That's sort of why I'm not into costumes. I bought tank tops for Dark Side, but I knew I would never wear them again and could easily sell them.

You are running the marathon so stop it. I'm bringing extra tissues just for you.

I hope whatever is stressful and is making you feel crappy takes a hike.

Build-up, would be my guess. We can function for a while on reserves but once those get shot everything goes downhill. Also you've just run a few races, which can make running feel like more of a chore/anxiety thing sometimes, especially with some of the uncertainty over the will you/won't you run them. (I both love races and hate them for this reason.)

Yeah, that all makes sense. I just really hate these "everything builds up until it breaks" situations. They suck.

It's okay to take a break or slow down if you need to. Take off all the devices and just go for a run for the hell of it, no matter what the schedule says. Find something that makes it feel joyful again - and if there's nothing there right now, that's okay too. But don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes life just sucks and tomorrow is a new day. :hug:

Yeah. That was supposed to be today - going out and running with no set goal in mind - but I got out of the house late and it just didnt work. I might try tomorrow, but we'll see. I'm scheduled for a tempo run tomorrow, so if I'm feeling up to it I'll do that, but if not ... I'll decide in the morning if I just want to go out and run or if I would rather just walk the miles.

I'm late to the party....

Well, it was a fast-moving party.

Those capris are super cute, but I agree to wait a few days to see if you still want them. Would they get worn in everyday life? That's sort of why I'm not into costumes. I bought tank tops for Dark Side, but I knew I would never wear them again and could easily sell them.

Yeah, waiting is definitely the wise choice. I think I would wear them for regular use, but I'm not 100% sure because they are a little costume-tier than I usually buy.

You are running the marathon so stop it. I'm bringing extra tissues just for you.

I keep tissues in my running belt in case you dont have enough.
Also ... the title of this journal used to
be "race suspense" ... I have to keep the suspense alive somehow.

I hope whatever is stressful and is making you feel crappy takes a hike.

Thanks.

In the specter of “It could always be worse”, I am currently pushing my bike the two miles home because I got a flat and my C02 cartridge is bad, so I can’t fix it.

Cycling is really stupid.

In the specter of “It could always be worse”, I am currently pushing my bike the two miles home because I got a flat and my C02 cartridge is bad, so I can’t fix it.

Cycling is really stupid.

Yikes.

So ... update.
Long story short ... I realized that it doesn't matter whether or not I want to do the marathon, I have to do it. So it's back to 100% happening (work permitting).
I can't say more than that because it's not something I'm comfortable talking about but ... today has not been a fun day.

Yikes.

So ... update.
Long story short ... I realized that it doesn't matter whether or not I want to do the marathon, I have to do it. So it's back to 100% happening (work permitting).
I can't say more than that because it's not something I'm comfortable talking about but ... today has not been a fun day.
Sending hugs and a hope that tomorrow will be much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter