Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I've been away from Dis for a hot minute (more like a terrible week in the real world, but I digress) and so many exciting things have happened here!

Yay on the Garmin!
I love your 2019 goals!

1. Walt Disney World Marathon. Since it’s my first marathon,

I am so excited that we are (hopefully if registration ever opens) running our first Marathons at the same race!
+1 to this list... 3's company, not a crowd right? ;) So excited!

I'm trying very hard to not impulse buy sunglasses that I really don't need. The #peerpressure is intense around here.
I did this... 2 pairs. #stressshopping

Today was Guava Lava's Race Debut!
Yay! So pretty!

Interlude - I'm lightly claustrophobic and I have some mild crowd anxiety. It's never been a problem at a race, but there are times when I go places and I feel like there are too many people and I can't breathe. As it gets worse, more symptoms show up ... nausea, lightheadedness, and a complete lack of awareness of where I am and what's going on. Okay, end interlude.
Ugh. I can get this too... So sorry it shadowed your race. Way to go on working through it. Finishing was winning.

3. Sub-1 hour 10K. This is one of those goals that sent me on a spiral. I knew it was doable, but maybe not in 2019. Coach said it's not outside the realm of possibility. Another conversation that Coach and I had was about PRs, and I came to the realization that I have my best chance at achieving a PR in a race where I'm excited about the race itself, not just the possibility of a PR. My 5K PR is from a race hosted by my favorite hockey team. My half PR is from the NYC Half, a race that I was super excited for from the minute I saw the new course description. So I think that to get this sub-1hr 10K, I'll have to find a 10K that I'm really excited about. Looks like my work is cut out for me.

This is such an interesting observation! Super interested to see what you end up picking. If you want to travel, my big goal race for this cycle is the MCM 10k : )

Love your 2019 goals, and am excited to watch you pick them off!

I hear you on crowd anxiety... the beginning of big races can get so intimidating with the crowds!

I've been away from Dis for a hot minute (more like a terrible week in the real world, but I digress) and so many exciting things have happened here!

Oh no, sorry to hear about your terrible week. I hope this week is better!

Yay on the Garmin!
I love your 2019 goals!

Thank you (x2)!

+1 to this list... 3's company, not a crowd right? ;) So excited!

Yessss!!!! I'm so excited to have you as part of the first marathon crew in January!

I did this... 2 pairs. #stressshopping

That's probably way healthier than my stress eating habit ... and more useful.
What sunglasses did you get?

Yay! So pretty!

:)

Ugh. I can get this too... So sorry it shadowed your race. Way to go on working through it. Finishing was winning.

It was definitely not my favorite race moment, but... I survived. Sometimes that's all you can do.

This is such an interesting observation! Super interested to see what you end up picking. If you want to travel, my big goal race for this cycle is the MCM 10k : )

Yeah, it was an interesting realization, but it makes sense ... I do better at running when I'm enjoying myself. And I'm more likely to enjoy myself if in already interested in the race.
I'm hoping to head to your neck of the woods eventually for a race ... we'll see when I can make that happen. Not sure if it will be this year or next year. MCM 10k looks like a cool race, though ... something to think about for sure.

Love your 2019 goals, and am excited to watch you pick them off!

Thank you! I'm excited to share the journey.

I hear you on crowd anxiety... the beginning of big races can get so intimidating with the crowds!

Yeah ... I dont know what it was about this race that made it so bad, but big races really can be a lot. I remember before my first Disney race I was so worried about the crowds in the corral ... but that worked out okay, and hopefully my next race will too.

Guys ... I got a text from my mom. The garmin has arrived! Beth says I dont have to wait for her to open it, so it will probably get opened at some point tonight. Assuming Safari starts behaving and I can get out of work at a decent time...

Guys ... I got a text from my mom. The garmin has arrived! Beth says I dont have to wait for her to open it, so it will probably get opened at some point tonight. Assuming Safari starts behaving and I can get out of work at a decent time...

It's REAL glitchy today! I said "eff it" about two hours ago and started working in Chrome. I can only see the beach ball so many times before I get stabby.

It's REAL glitchy today! I said "eff it" about two hours ago and started working in Chrome. I can only see the beach ball so many times before I get stabby.

The project I'm working on right now is automated testing, and safaridriver (which is safaris built-in automation driver) is the actual worst. It doesnt even give you the beach ball, it just gives you unknown errors (and occasionally just doesnt load the page). It is the actual worst. I hate working with safari.
But I have noticed it being especially troublesome today. Sigh.

LUCKY! I just checked my tracking and it still says tomorrow for mine. :(

:(

That's probably way healthier than my stress eating habit ... and more useful.
What sunglasses did you get?
Oh I stress eat, happy eat, bored eat, hungry eat... I'm Italian. ;)

And after much debate between Goodr and Knockarounds, I went with Knockarounds with the encouragement of a great memorial day sale. I finally got home from Omaha last night and tore right into the package. The polarization was such a huge difference on my drive this morning... who knew?!

Oh I stress eat, happy eat, bored eat, hungry eat... I'm Italian. ;)

I'm the same way ... and I'm not even Italian ;)

And after much debate between Goodr and Knockarounds, I went with Knockarounds with the encouragement of a great memorial day sale. I finally got home from Omaha last night and tore right into the package. The polarization was such a huge difference on my drive this morning... who knew?!

Nice. Excellent choice. I'm glad they seem to be working out for you!

Trying to figure out my plans for Global Running Day. Hopefully I'll go into it a little more later this week, but it's kind of an important day for me.
I'm thinking about maybe doing an after-work group run with NYRR (2 to 3.5 miles, not sure what I'd do), but I'd probably end up way behind everyone else and feel crappy about it. Another option is a special edition Open Run in Flushing Meadow park at 7pm, but then I either have to run with a bag, leave work early enough to go home and still make it to Flushing Meadow Park in time, or just leave all of my stuff at work, including my coffee cup (I can bring my water bottle and run with that).

(I'm scheduled for 3.0 miles at Easy/LR intervals, but I'd change that to Easy Continuous pace if I did a group run, probably. Also scheduled for HM Tempo the next morning, so I'm not convinced that a night run is my best idea)

Best option would be if they did something in Cunningham Park, but even if they did ... it probably wouldn't be at 6:15-6:30am, which is usually when I'm running through there.
Sigh. I want to find a way to make it special, but I dunno.

Maybe it's because I haven't unlocked the full capabilities yet, but ... meh. I'm a little underwhelmed.
I'm sure I'll like it better once I start using it. Or find a watch face I love (I'm currently using a butterfly one that is okay but not great)

Anyway, Garmin users ... share your favorite "must download" apps. If I can figure out the purpose of downloading apps, maybe I'll download some.
(Also ... I don't like that when setting up workouts, you can only set '# of time' repeats ... I was hoping I'd be able to tell it to 'repeat for x miles' ...but I kinda already knew that wasn't the case. I'll make it work, it'll just be the same thing I did with the old watch with separate warm up/tempo/cool down activities).

You can set your workout to repeat via laps, and then set your laps as the miles you want it to repeat at! That's how I have my swim and bike workouts set up.

For watch faces, I use the Countdown face and love it!

As far as apps go ... Find My Car, but you probably won't ever need that one. :rotfl2:

I also rearranged my widgets so the two most important (music control and stress level) were either a swipe up or swipe down from the main screen.

It's OK to feel a little underwhelmed ... it's a spendy purchase and you expect it to rock your world the minute you unbox it. But don't worry - you'll warm up to it real quick.

You can set your workout to repeat via laps, and then set your laps as the miles you want it to repeat at! That's how I have my swim and bike workouts set up.

This sounds like it may have the potential to work. If I can figure out how to do it. I'll have to play around with the workouts and see what I can do.

For watch faces, I use the Countdown face and love it!

Downloaded! I'll try it out today and see if I like it.
As far as apps go ... Find My Car, but you probably won't ever need that one. :rotfl2:

Yeah, probably not. Although you'd be surprised how often I have to find my father's car...

I also rearranged my widgets so the two most important (music control and stress level) were either a swipe up or swipe down from the main screen.

Good call. I have to rearrange my widgets, because I don't even know what order they're in. I know that if I swipe up (or maybe down? one of the two) I get my calendar, which is nice, but maybe not necessary.

It's OK to feel a little underwhelmed ... it's a spendy purchase and you expect it to rock your world the minute you unbox it. But don't worry - you'll warm up to it real quick.

Yeah. Today will be its first day out in the wild. Hopefully I'll start to love it more when I'm actually using it.

So far behind on my reading, but caught up here now! Great job on your races and especially that trophy win with the bonus good feeling of helping another runner. I love the race shirt!

And also hurrah for a new Garmin. Loved reading about the struggle on deciding which watch to buy. :D I love my Garmin and hope you warm to yours quickly. I'm getting the itch for a new Garmin, but satisfied myself momentarily with new sunglasses (darn you @Keels ).

So far behind on my reading, but caught up here now! Great job on your races and especially that trophy win with the bonus good feeling of helping another runner. I love the race shirt!

Thank you!

And also hurrah for a new Garmin. Loved reading about the struggle on deciding which watch to buy. :D I love my Garmin and hope you warm to yours quickly. I'm getting the itch for a new Garmin, but satisfied myself momentarily with new sunglasses (darn you @Keels ).

I'm starting to warm up to it a bit more. It has a Yankee Stadium picture as the watch face now, so that helps.
So far I'm resisting the new sunglasses thing because I know I dont need them (I knew it was time for an upgrade on the Gamemin, which is why I was okay with that purchase). The peer pressure around here is real, tho.

meh. I'm a little underwhelmed.
Ugh. I actually am afraid of this. I don't like change. I am used to my Apple Watch. But the price difference between the AW3 and the V3 was a huge factor to me.

Also, I will have to figure out the lap thing too. I think tomorrow I am going to run with both my AW and my V3 to see how they compare.

WHYS EVERYTHING ALWAYS GOTTA BE MY FAULT?!?

No comment?
(Kidding)

Ugh. I actually am afraid of this. I don't like change. I am used to my Apple Watch. But the price difference between the AW3 and the V3 was a huge factor to me.

Yeah, I think the whole resistance to change is part of this. But we'll see. I'm sure the more I customize it, the more it will grow on me. I'm taking it out for a walk in a little bit, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, I will have to figure out the lap thing too. I think tomorrow I am going to run with both my AW and my V3 to see how they compare.

I'm thinking about wearing both watches tomorrow just in case something goes wrong with the V3. But mornings. We'll see what happens.

I'm currently sitting at work drinking tea and listening to a Disney playlist. I feel very at peace.

Of course, I have a meeting in 30 minutes, so I'm sure that will change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter