Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that many are making plans and purchasing now based on the tower. I'd be waiting to see the points charts and how the project ends up being completed.

The amount of points required to stay at Poly are likely to be absurdly high. Oh, and if at some point they decide to rebalance the bungalows (which they could attempt after Poly sells out), the rest of the resort could see even higher points. It's safe to assume a week in a 2 bedroom will be at least 330 points a night.... unless they play some games with 4 different view types or some such thing....

Given the ambivalence a lot of people have had for Disney's design team lately, I'd also be waiting to see where the quality goes and if it is worth the cost.
A lot of people sure went from “that building is so ugly” to “OMG same association, I can’t wait to stay there” 😂.

But yeah we know the charts will be bad but not how bad they will be. Week in a 2br will probably be mid 350s minimum with most of the time being mid 400s. Either way, I still wouldn’t be buying until direct sales pushes resale prices even further down. Don’t get swept up by the mad rush to buy points just because some news was announced. Feels awfully similar to when everyone rushed to buy Grand Cal after the transient tax news at VDH came out.

Last edited:
DVC marketed Riviera with the idea that buying direct there will give you exclusive access to all the new resorts that DVC will add to its portfolio. They shouldn’t have marketed it that way if the only “new” ones come every 10 yrs or so. It was misleading and they should just remove them all together.
Every single Riviera owner has signed a document acknowledging that no other resort might ever be built or that resale restrictions might be lifted at any moment.
No one should buy Riviera just because of the existence of the resale restrictions.

A lot of people sure went from “that building is so ugly” to “OMG same association, I can’t wait to stay there” 😂.

I hope the studios at the new tower will be a separate booking category, like Jambo and Kidani. I much much prefer the location of the longhouse, because they're so convenient to the TTC and I'd like to be guaranteed that.
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't have much interest for the new tower.

Every single Riviera owner has signed a document acknowledging that no other resort might ever be built or that resale restrictions might be lifted at any moment.
No one should buy Riviera just because of the existence of the resale restrictions.
I'm not sure people are buying Riviera because of the restrictions but rather may be a bit miffed because it was said that new resorts would have restrictions, so buying directly from DVC would ensure access. I think many just feel that DVC threw Riviera owners a curveball if the Poly Tower is in the legacy association.

I hope the studios at the new tower will be a separate booking category, like Jambo and Kidani. I much much prefer the location of the longhouse, because they're so convenient to the TTC and I'd like to be guaranteed that.
I guarantee they will be. If they have a separate category for resort studios and deluxe studios at VGF, they’ll have separate categories for this.

I'm not sure people are buying Riviera because of the restrictions but rather may be a bit miffed because it was said that new resorts would have restrictions, so buying directly from DVC would ensure access. I think many just feel that DVC threw Riviera owners a curveball if the Poly Tower is in the legacy association.
Riviera's restrictions made it a no sale to me. You can buy direct at, say, Grand Floridian, and you can stay at the Riviera, You can stay at the new Disneyland Hotel Villas. AND you have the option to sell your DVC and anyone buying can stay anywhere else. Same reason I would not buy a Poly2 contract if it was a different association and had the same restrictions. Buy a regular poly, I can stay at the new Poly, and resale is still worth it.

i would never ever buy resale at the Riviera or Disneyland Hotel unless the points are $50 or less.

I wrote a really long response but honestly I just feel like I’m smacking my head on a wall over and over again. It’s not your fault- just feel like I’m constantly explaining myself and being told you asked for it so shut up. But I hope everyone who’s telling RIV owners they’re promised nothing and can’t complain, they’re doing the same thing to those who are complaining about the retheming at any of the resorts cause that certainly isn’t promised to them, it was just marketed to them like that when they originally bought in and why they chose that location.

But yeah you’re right here I acknowledge what you’re saying. Think myself and many others have mentioned a few times in the threads - we get it. We completely understood then, too. We are promised nothing but a room to sleep in at 11mo (and even that has become a bit iffy at times) I just assumed most had made a collective decision to purchase for a few other impermanent perks, as well. Wrong to assume and as good a time as any to stop harping about this. Has anyone actually purchased RIV because of restrictions? That would certainly be an interesting take.

Riviera's restrictions made it a no sale to me. You can buy direct at, say, Grand Floridian, and you can stay at the Riviera, You can stay at the new Disneyland Hotel Villas. AND you have the option to sell your DVC and anyone buying can stay anywhere else. Same reason I would not buy a Poly2 contract if it was a different association and had the same restrictions. Buy a regular poly, I can stay at the new Poly, and resale is still worth it.

i would never ever buy resale at the Riviera or Disneyland Hotel unless the points are $50 or less.
And that is the beauty of DVC: something for everybody! I would never spend my money on a resort I don't love and want to stay at. Doing so just seems silly to me, but hey, to each their own, right? Restrictions really don't impact me at all, so I choose not to waste energy wringing my hands over something that has no impact on me or how I DVC. But again, to each their own. I can understand why many people are opposed to the restrictions.

I have a whole list of resorts that I would never, ever buy points for. :)

I wrote a really long response but honestly I just feel like I’m smacking my head on a wall over and over again. It’s not your fault- just feel like I’m constantly explaining myself and being told you asked for it so shut up. But I hope everyone who’s telling RIV owners they’re promised nothing and can’t complain, they’re doing the same thing to those who are complaining about the retheming at any of the resorts cause that certainly isn’t promised to them, it was just marketed to them like that when they originally bought in and why they chose that location.

But yeah you’re right here I acknowledge what you’re saying. Think myself and many others have mentioned a few times in the threads - we get it. We completely understood then, too. We are promised nothing but a room to sleep in at 11mo (and even that has become a bit iffy at times) I just assumed most had made a collective decision to purchase for a few other impermanent perks, as well. Wrong to assume and as good a time as any to stop harping about this. Has anyone actually purchased RIV because of restrictions? That would certainly be an interesting take.
I think this is the central point. It's not that I feel that I am "owed" something because I bout Riviera points directly; it just sticks in my craw a little because (if true) not having point restrictions at the new Poly Tower flies in the face of what DVC had previously said, very publicly. It's hard to understand the logic.

I think this is the central point. It's not that I feel that I am "owed" something because I bout Riviera points directly; it just sticks in my craw a little because (if true) not having point restrictions at the new Poly Tower flies in the face of what DVC had previously said, very publicly. It's hard to understand the logic.
Is there a link or other published resource where DVC has said that new construction at existing resorts would be subject to booking and resale restrictions? I'm having trouble finding any real public statement. The best I can find is some reports here where someone said their guide may have used imprecise language and said "new construction" would have restrictions rather than "new resorts".

It is the point. Its at least the one that us owners with the same issue are trying to convey

I feel the same way.

Is there a link or other published resource where DVC has said that new construction at existing resorts would be subject to booking and resale restrictions? I'm having trouble finding any real public statement. The best I can find is some reports here where someone said their guide may have used imprecise language and said "new construction" would have restrictions rather than "new resorts".
Sigh….no, there is not. It is what we were reassured of verbally. And yes, that means it is not legally binding. This is all about the perception that DVC has left us with in seemingly going against that. We all have our issues with DVC from time to time. This one just hit Riviera owners (or at least some of us) some sort of way

I guarantee they will be. If they have a separate category for resort studios and deluxe studios at VGF, they’ll have separate categories for this.
I hope you’re right. Would make sense to do it that way but who knows with them recently

They really should be. There is no reason why anyone should have to show up at PVB not knowing whether they will be placed in a longhouse or in the tower.

Here's one direct source: https://www.fidelityrealestate.com/blog/dvc-releases-new-resale-restrictions/

But that doesn't say what I asked about. "The new policy essentially states that if you purchase a contract on the resale market after January 19, 2019, you will not be eligible to exchange your points at any new resorts built by Disney." I asked where anyone was publicly promised that new construction at existing resorts would be subject to the restrictions.

This section is also silent on new construction at existing resorts, but makes it clear that resale points will still be able to exchange into the existing 14 resorts:
Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts AND all future Disney Vacation Club Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into the current 14 Resorts.

But that doesn't say what I asked about. "The new policy essentially states that if you purchase a contract on the resale market after January 19, 2019, you will not be eligible to exchange your points at any new resorts built by Disney." I asked where anyone was publicly promised that new construction at existing resorts would be subject to the restrictions.
That's just being pedantic. The entire DIS-world has been debating that very question ad nauseam.

That's just being pedantic. The entire DIS-world has been debating that very question ad nauseam.
Sure, but that's the crux of the issue. People are disappointed because they read a promise that was never actually stated or intended (or if it was stated it was imprecise language used by a salesperson). Disney never "very publicly" said the thing that you're saying they said.

So far, BRV/CCV is the only example where new construction at an existing resort was made a new association, and it's also the only situation where it would have been illegal for Disney to sell the new villas under the existing association (without significant restructuring) because there was less than 40 years left on the contract. I'm not saying that I was certain either way about Poly2--I feel like it could have gone either way depending on Disney's goals--but I don't think anyone should be particularly surprised that they decided to use the existing association.

This section is also silent on new construction at existing resorts, but makes it clear that resale points will still be able to exchange into the existing 14 resorts:
You say existing, I say new. Disney never defined what a new resort is, again very annoying. They could have avoided this by just being clearer. But I take this decision that your way of looking at is more their thinking and I’ll keep that in mind going forward. But nothing has been written in DVD documents about what a new resort entails or is excluded from, again leaving themselves open for interpretation and wiggle room in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter