Late August or Mid-September trip?

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I've been considering a trip in late August or mid-September, probably September given how much cheaper flights are around that time. It looks like the history of park hours in MK is 9-9 in September, though, vs. 9-10 in August. I like to make my trips "count" more, so that's always a thing. September is also when they start screwing up MK hours for their Mickey's Halloween stuff, too.

I figure weather will mostly be the same, and both times are said to be relatively light on crowds. But... this has been the era of "revenge travel", with even more restrictions loosened. Will it likely be a madhouse anyways? Am I better off just saving it for next spring? I recall the hours always being a lot better around then (though without EMH it looks like the days of MK being open till 12 for me are gone). Part of me does want to go earlier, though, as I was last there in Nov. 2021, and had fun and saw a lot of cool CMs, who I might recognize on this trip (and be fresher in their minds just in case).

Hi all! I've been considering a trip in late August or mid-September, probably September given how much cheaper flights are around that time. It looks like the history of park hours in MK is 9-9 in September, though, vs. 9-10 in August. I like to make my trips "count" more, so that's always a thing. September is also when they start screwing up MK hours for their Mickey's Halloween stuff, too.

I figure weather will mostly be the same, and both times are said to be relatively light on crowds. But... this has been the era of "revenge travel", with even more restrictions loosened. Will it likely be a madhouse anyways? Am I better off just saving it for next spring? I recall the hours always being a lot better around then (though without EMH it looks like the days of MK being open till 12 for me are gone). Part of me does want to go earlier, though, as I was last there in Nov. 2021, and had fun and saw a lot of cool CMs, who I might recognize on this trip (and be fresher in their minds just in case).
IMO, the crowds will be a little heavier than previous years for both August and September, but September will not be as bad as August. Both dates fall during hurricane season and you can expect daily rain, high temperatures and humidity. The MNSSHP begins on August 12, so MK hours will be screwed up regardless of which month you choose. Of the two, I would choose September, but only because kids are back in school (slightly lower crowds) and the better airfare.

However, if spring is an option on the table, I like late April or early May. Better weather. Spring break crowds are gone. No parties messing with MK hours.

We have travelled both of these times and enjoy both times. It's melt-your-face-off hot both times so that's a major consideration to take when booking your trip. That being said, we enjoy our Aug/Sep trips and will book those again in the future. (Trying out DL this year for the first time so excited to try something new!)

This year Halloween parties begin Aug 12 so it appears all your trips could be affected by party dates. Personally our family loves to go to MK on party days as the earlier park closing to non-party guests keeps many guests away and we get a lot done in a shorter amount of time.

I agree that travel in 2022 has been busier due to pent-up travel desires after a couple of years of staying home. I feel this will continue throughout 2022, increasing numbers across the board.

We frequently visit in August - teachers and students in the family. It is not my favorite time weather-wise, but we make it work and have a great time. This year we’re visiting the first week of August and then again in mid-September (those of us who aren’t tied to school schedules). My preferred time to visit is April/May or January/February. We visited in January 2020 and it was pretty chilly, but we normally have a little better luck than that.

It was challenging booking DVC for both trips, but we were ultimately successful. That was a bit surprising, but then again folks have postponed travel and DVC members have points to use. Our first “post-Covid” trip back to WDW was last July.

The hot weather is challenging, but using common sense and not pushing past personal limits is key. I try to eat lightly - salads, fruit, yogurt - and use it as an excuse for frozen treats as well. :goodvibes

I wouldn't wait until spring. None of us know what the future holds, and even if you can go next spring, crowds will probably be higher.

We've gone in both late August and mid-September, and there's not a lot of difference in the two. I'd probably go in September because crowds are projected to be slightly lower then, but either should be fine.

Your thoughts on MNSSHP are valid, but probably the best day we ever had in terms of crowds and number of attractions completed was on a MNSSHP day, so that doesn't automatically mean you won't get as much done.

We have been late August and will be again going this year in late August. Schools will mostly be back in session. Usually crowds are super low I remember a 30 mins wait for 7DMT during these times and I believe even with "revenge trips" there is nothing that will particularly call people out specifically during our dates. So even if there is a lightly more people I don't think it'll be insane.

I've noticed a lot of availability of the WDW resorts for late August. Generally the later you can go in August the better. Those last weeks of August used to be very decent for crowds because many schools in states close to WDW have returned to classes and the heat can keep some away. The fact that there are parties is appealing to me - I realize you want to avoid them. The real "tell" could be if they start offering better room discounts or brought back free dining, etc.

I would say the weather and crowds will be better in Spring. But who can put off Disney for that long? Not this girl! I’d do September over August. Crowds will probably be better, but not by much.

Thanks, everyone! I didn't realize the Halloween parties went all the way into August (that's pretty crazy, lol) until doing some more searching last night, so thanks for the update on that. I also kinda didn't want to wait on my new trip- who knows what new thing will be going down next spring, PLUS I'd been wanting to visit as many times as I could while I still had stamina to do so. I was actually planning on yearly visits as of my 2019 trip, but of course that all got thrown out of whack.

Now that trips are pricier, I can't go yearly long-term, but I can manage just a bit.

We like go late August, when FL schools have started up again, but MA schools (where we're from) have not. Crowds are good, we like MNSSHP. In 2019, we were there when Hurricane Dorian was supposed to hit, but didn't. It was opening weekend for Galaxy's Edge, and HS was a ghost town. Truly an amazing experience.

Crowds will likely be lower in September but don't go in expecting empty parks. I think most of the summer hustle and bustle is not what it once was and summers for us, crowd wise, have been much more manageable than other times of year. If parties start in August then it's a moot point so I'd go when the flights are cheaper and you can save money to spend at WDW in other fun ways.

Late August and early September crowds are typically lower than mid to late Sept crowds. Just booked our dining and plenty of normally hard to get ADR's have been available so I'm cautiously optimistic that this trend will continue this year!

Boo-urns! I already made my trip for late September (a Disney employee told me Aug & Sept alternate as quiet months, lol) but the Frozen Singalong is gonna be refurbished from Late August to some time in Sept- at least until the 12th but maybe longer. I hope it's back up by the time I go- I usually see that twice on my HS trips, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter