Land Border Opening?

Ok so just so I understand this correctly:
If we choose to go to Mexico in August with our two kids (13 yr old will be fully vaxxed, 10 yr old will not):

-no pre departure test as Mexico does not require them
-test with a PCR test (have check with hotel we want to book, they are $125US a test and can be done at the hotel, the concierge arranges it for us) 72hrs before departure
-test again at YVR
-everyone isolates til negative test comes back (1-3 days), 10yr old quarantines at home regardless.
-dh and I and 13 yr old can come and go as we please after negative test, 10 yr old stays home but can roam around the HOUSE, just not LEAVE the house? And obvs I am NOT leaving my 10yr old home alone, if I need to go out to the store or whatnot, my 13yr old stays with her.

Am I missing anything? Did I get anything wrong?
One small thing: once you land in canada, if you are fully vaxxed, you may not have to quarantine at all, even waiting for the test results. This will be determined when you land: quote from CTV news:

Travellers will have to have an adequate quarantine plan in place in case border agents determine a period of self-isolation is required,

In today's announcement was there any mention made of Bill Blair saying in his interview yesterday that Canada need 75% of the population fully vaccinated before all restrictions could be lifted?

That's a seriously high bar. I get that the "easing" will be taking place soon, but as others point out the coordination and expense of the testing is a significant barrier to travel.

Well, it will depend on what metric they use. Eligible population vs. Entire population.

If it's eligible, we will likely hit that number by the end of July/early August. If entire population it would likely be sometime in the fall (if we can even hit 75% of entire population).

Last edited:
@bcwife76 that was said initially before today's announcement, but I don't recall the Minister mentioned isolating for the 1-3 days. Pretty sure she said NO quarantine.
The link that I posted earlier for the government site said only need to quarantine IF you test upon arrival is positive
One small thing: once you land in canada, if you are fully vaxxed, you may not have to quarantine at all, even waiting for the test results. This will be determined when you land: quote from CTV news:

Travellers will have to have an adequate quarantine plan in place in case border agents determine a period of self-isolation is required,
See, this is why I LOVE our CDN disboards. You guys are the best! Somehow I missed this part! I mean, it's not 100% that you won't have to isolate for 1-3 days, but I guess it's just up to the border guards once you arrive. And I'm ok with that. Thanks again!! :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

I watched the presser, I’m sure that Bill Blair said that non essential travel is not open yet(?) Did I miss something else that was said?

As I understood, the changes only apply for essential travel(ers) in the next phase of reopening.

from news watch.com

“The federal government is easing some restrictions at the Canada-U.S. border, but the biggest changes apply only to those already eligible to cross.”

I watched the presser, I’m sure that Bill Blair said that non essential travel is not open yet(?) Did I miss something else that was said?

As I understood, the changes only apply for essential travel(ers) in the next phase of reopening.

from news watch.com

“The federal government is easing some restrictions at the Canada-U.S. border, but the biggest changes apply only to those already eligible to cross.”
Makes sense as the border is closed til July 22. I don't much changing before then.

Makes sense as the border is closed til July 22. I don't much changing before then.

Makes sense. I was multitasking at the time of the news conference and thought I’d missed something… I’m just doing a google search to catch up on anything I didn’t get on tv.

I wonder what it will look like on July 22? Will they then say open for non-essential travel from both sides? How will the rules apply for the unvaccinated I wonder. They already know all this, and it's frustrating they don't/won't tell us any re-opening plans much beforehand, like when we can expect to return to normalcy (somewhat) It would help if they did because it might get more of the anti-vaxxers to get their shots if they knew what was coming. Another thing is, why haven't they STILL not told us what we can and can't do once fully vaccinated?? I think that is long overdue at this point.

Where do you get a covid test in Orlando (preferably near Disney) anyway? Does it cost anything for Canadians?

Has anyone done all this hoopla to travel?? lol

I wonder what it will look like on July 22? Will they then say open for non-essential travel from both sides? How will the rules apply for the unvaccinated I wonder. They already know all this, and it's frustrating they don't/won't tell us any re-opening plans much beforehand, like when we can expect to return to normalcy (somewhat) It would help if they did because it might get more of the anti-vaxxers to get their shots if they knew what was coming. Another thing is, why haven't they STILL not told us what we can and can't do once fully vaccinated?? I think that is long overdue at this point.
It's already been hinted at that a vaccine passport will be required to enter into Canada. They can only say so much as they are also working with the US as well in regards to opening

That's up to each province for what fully vaccinated can do.

from news watch.com

There's two separate but related topics:

-Land border closure to non-essential travel - this was extended on Friday to "at least" July 21 11:59pm
&
-Arrival procedures & quarantines for people coming to Canada - these will change July 5 11:59pm

Changing one doesn't change the other.

That being said if you are in a group that can already travel across the land border, like a dual national, you benefit from the quarantine changes even if the land border remains "closed." And people who are flying Canada<->US benefit from the changes too.

from news watch.com

While nobody can cross from Canada to the US by the land border for non essential reasons. Those that are in Canada are and have always been allowed to fly over for any reason. These rules affect those coming back to Canada. Any Canadian citizen and a few others are now able to return to Canada without the quarantine if they are fully vaccinated without quarantine regardless of the reason they left.

I guess my concern with the 75% fully vaxxed is the power it gives over the entire process to those who choose not to get it. I want to be clear (and careful) - I absolutely support personal choice in health matters, and understand hesitancy within some groups, for lots of reasons. It just becomes tricky when one's choice affects another's.

I would imagine, though, a pivot from "negative messaging" (get the vaccine so you won't get sick) to positive messaging (get the vaccine so you can BLANK), even if at this point it only affects a few, will help convince some on the fence to get their shot.

@wdwmom3 The cost of the arrival test? from the Toronto Pearson web page:

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/h...sting-at-toronto-pearson/arriving-into-canada
Travellers are not charged for their arrivals test at Toronto Pearson, but there is a cost associated with the required booking of a government authorized hotel where you wait until receiving your test results. The federal government has listed these hotels on their website, where you can get a quote and book your stay.

Thanks!

Trudeau Press Conference going on right now. As it relates to the border he's mostly just re-iterated what was announced yesterday. But one thing that is possibly promising. He noted when re-iterating the things announced yesterday that "now over 75% of eligible Canadians have had their first shot and over 20% have been fully vaccinated" which hopefully alludes to that they are using that metric method (eligible as opposed to total) when they consider their next stages.

Trudeau Press Conference going on right now. As it relates to the border he's mostly just re-iterated what was announced yesterday. But one thing that is possibly promising. He noted when re-iterating the things announced yesterday that "now over 75% of eligible Canadians have had their first shot and over 20% have been fully vaccinated" which hopefully alludes to that they are using that metric method (eligible as opposed to total) when they consider their next stages.
That is encouraging!!!! Hopefully going forward they will use that wording to avoid confusion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter