Land Border Opening?

I'm curious why people don't just do the free testing? My son did it before traveling to Oklahoma - no problem. Is it just the worry that you won't get the results in time?
In MB you are only able to get a "free" test if you are symptomatic, and you have to call a number to be screened and get an appointment. Those test results are not applicable for travel, so even if you fibbed to get the test, you couldn't use it.

You have to meet certain criteria to have a test done. Travel is not a valid reason so if he did that then he lied to get it done.
I'm pretty sure that in SK we can just drive up and get a test, no reasons needed. Is that not true in other provinces?
I don't know for sure if this test qualifies for travel requirements (I suspect it would) or if you can get a print out of your results (maybe on ehealth?), but you certainly don't need to lie to get it.

I have seen cheaper in BC (closer to $200 and I think testing at YVR might be even less). But definitely not free.
Let me know if you see anything for the island that is cheaper. I will keep peeking around. I am fine getting the test and it actually makes me feel a little better about flying knowing that we are all being tested first. Just need to save what I can to spend at Disney. I might need a second suitcase to make up for lost trips and shopping :rotfl2:

I'm pretty sure that in SK we can just drive up and get a test, no reasons needed. Is that not true in other provinces?
I don't know for sure if this test qualifies for travel requirements (I suspect it would) or if you can get a print out of your results (maybe on ehealth?), but you certainly don't need to lie to get it.
In Ontario it is for sure not true. You have to have been exposed in someway or have symptoms which automatically makes you not ok to travel.

or for work.. LTC homes and community homes and workers still have a lot of staff required to be tested in a regular basis. ( they would not have symptoms nor have been exposed)
I never even considered those. I would have assumed that they would be getting tested at work so that they aren't using their offtime to get tests

I never even considered those. I would have assumed that they would be getting tested at work so that they aren't using their offtime to get tests

iev had friends coming back from mat leave etc or starting new jobs or unwilling to get up to go back to their place of employment after working nights and they only test in the mornings.. lots of reasons ..

NS we can get a PCR or rapid test no questions asked. We have TONS of free testing. They actually encourage people to get tested weekly.

We have appointment-based and walk-in pop up testing for those without any symptoms.

At one point you could get tested for any reason. It led to long lines or having to wait a couple days for an appointment, and it led to a backlog in results. So people were waiting sometimes 4-5 days for results. Not good when you think you may actually have covid.

NS had reached 20,000 PCR tests in a day, PLUS the pop-up rapid testing at the height of wave 3.

I have never had a test take more than 48 hours to get the results, but I know many had to wait longer than that.

At this point in time, I would have no concern of getting results back within 72 hours if I needed one for travel.

NS we can get a PCR or rapid test no questions asked. We have TONS of free testing. They actually encourage people to get tested weekly.

We have appointment-based and walk-in pop up testing for those without any symptoms.
I heard that, I have friends in NS who get tested routinely.

Here in the lower mainland of BC it’s walk in now and you just fill in the form, they ask you if you have symptoms or possible exposure and get the test. I’ve had to be tested twice, for possible exposure- my daughter works in a daycare. Usually get results in 24hrs. In the beginning it was more of an ordeal to get tested, with phoning, waiting for a doctor to call you back, make appt, long waits ugh. They really streamlined process now.

I don’t want to bank on what side of the bed the border guard got up on! 😆
when we went to Florida in January 2020 we planned to get to the airport during a lull in flights so going thru security and customs with my massive bags of meds and truckload of social anxiety would be easier on me. There was no one in the customs hall in front of us and the agents were waving at us while one was on his tiptoes pointing at his line. As he asked his questions he reached under his desk and pulled up a cup that he slowly swiveled around while grinning "think carefully before you answer" with a smirk. The cup said "I haven't had my morning coffee yet, handle with care"

the one we had coming back though? OMG, he freaked me out, had the attitude of the CMs who work at the haunted mansion! I'm sure he send his fully vaccinated grandmother to the quarantine hotels if she shifted her feet!

I don’t want to bank on what side of the bed the border guard got up on! 😆
I’ve had mostly fine border guards but a couple of real power trippers . We crossed with my 14 year old son who’s passport was expired a few years ago and called ahead to find out if that was allowed ( it was a day trip and we didn’t realize it had expired ). We found info on the website , and made the call . We were told in no uncertain terms he could cross with a birth certificate.

The border guard was such a jerk about it. He insisted he needed a passport , smirked and rolled his eyes when asking “oh where did you get that info from ?” He was just really hostile from the get go.

Even if we had been wrong, the nasty attitude was totally unwarranted , we weren’t being even a little rude.. we were scared he wouldn’t be let over. So then I have to tell him that I was told by border services and their website that he was fine to cross with a birth certificate . He didn’t like being wrong but once he realized he was he said “Well I get the final say and you can cross but only by my generosity.”
Ummm ok … or how about by the laws of our country instead ? :rolleyes2
Of course we let him have his power trip.

I seriously hope that these vaccine passports and the rules to cross and concise and clear and ironclad or we will hear all kinds of stories about mix ups at the border I’m sure .

when we went to Florida in January 2020 we planned to get to the airport during a lull in flights so going thru security and customs with my massive bags of meds and truckload of social anxiety would be easier on me. There was no one in the customs hall in front of us and the agents were waving at us while one was on his tiptoes pointing at his line. As he asked his questions he reached under his desk and pulled up a cup that he slowly swiveled around while grinning "think carefully before you answer" with a smirk. The cup said "I haven't had my morning coffee yet, handle with care"

the one we had coming back though? OMG, he freaked me out, had the attitude of the CMs who work at the haunted mansion! I'm sure he send his fully vaccinated grandmother to the quarantine hotels if she shifted her feet!
Yup, some I’ve had a few laughs with, and some have zero personality. You’d think their face will crack if they smiled. HM is a good analogy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter