Land Border Opening?

Yes! I may drive across border to get flight if it means I don’t have to spend $400 on Covid test for daughter & me to fly to US. It’s only a 3 hr drive to SeaTac for me. I could even do a hotel park n fly cheaper!

Yes. Being in Atlantic Canada, the times we've flown, we've always driven to the US (either 4-6 hours to the airport) because it was so much cheaper. For that matter, it is actually significantly cheaper for us to drive to Boston and fly from there to Edmonton, than it is for us to fly out of our own province. Which is pretty sad really. Especially considering both flights are Air Canada.

I'm sure JT would qualify under essential workers and could get the exemption from quarantine anyways.

Seriously, he is the PM, like him or hate him there are security protocols in place that yeah, would have him not staying in a hotel with everyone else. Not sure why everyone up in arms about it. Of course there will be different rules in place for him.

So watching the Federal Covid-19 update, the only changes at the moment are that they are removing the requirement for quarantine hotel for those who are returning to Canada and are fully vaccinated. You still need to get a test when you arrive but can quarantine at home until the negative test result

I'm sure JT would qualify under essential workers and could get the exemption from quarantine anyways.

Seriously, he is the PM, like him or hate him there are security protocols in place that yeah, would have him not staying in a hotel with everyone else. Not sure why everyone up in arms about it. Of course there will be different rules in place for him.
There is no way they would put him with the general public. I know I joked the other day about not wanting to put him with the riff raff but honestly it would be a HUGE security risk to have him in a hotel with the general public.

So watching the Federal Covid-19 update, the only changes at the moment are that they are removing the requirement for quarantine hotel for those who are returning to Canada and are fully vaccinated. You still need to get a test when you arrive but can quarantine at home until the negative test result
They also did say that the first phase would be that fully vaccinated Canadians would be able to travel without the need for quarantine. It wouldn't be open for tourists til later on.

They also did say that the first phase would be that fully vaccinated Canadians would be able to travel without the need for quarantine. It wouldn't be open for tourists til later on.

That's not entirely true. They stated that this first phase (which they said should start early next month but didn't give a firm date), you still need to get PCR test before arrival, then still have to have test when you land and you still need to quarantine at home until you get the negative arrival test result.

Just essentially no more quarantine hotel for fully vaccinated people.

Also no mention of any land border changes.

Of course he would need to quarantine elsewhere for security reasons once he returned to Canada.

But my question is...when he is telling Canadians that " now is not the time to be travelling" and yet deems it safe enough for him to go to G7 " meetings" and be wined and dined is kind of a slap in the face for those of us who are wanting to travel, but instead are penalized with having to do a hotel quarantine upon returning home. It is hypocrisy at it's finest and a prime example of " do as I say, not as I do" :rolleyes1

This is true but the G7 summit was done virtually last year and if he couldn't safely follow the rules that he implemented he should have decided to attend th8s year virtually.

But enough of that I'm really happy that we are getting back some of our freedoms. I won't be fully vaccinated until the end of July (2 weeks ofter second shot) but I'm very much looking forward to taking advantage of the decent exchange rate and going shopping in buffalo.

Under the envisioned changes, returning travellers would be required to present a negative COVID-19 screening test taken prior to their return trip and also submit to a COVID-19 test upon arrival back in Canada.
Quote from Globe & Mail.
so it looks like we’ll still have to do a Covid test somewhere in Florida 3 days before returning home plus another on return. To me this is disappointing.:sad1: Does anyone know where to get a test near WDW? I heard the one by MK is closed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7934298/covid-19-hotel-quarantine-canada/
“The first phase we’re considering now is aimed at allowing fully vaccinated individuals who are authorized to enter the country to be able to cross the border without having to stay in a government authorized accommodation,”

"Fully vaccinated individuals still need a screening test before departure as well as a covid test upon arrival, they will have to be in quarantine at home until they get a negative result to their test. "

https://globalnews.ca/news/7934298/covid-19-hotel-quarantine-canada/
“The first phase we’re considering now is aimed at allowing fully vaccinated individuals who are authorized to enter the country to be able to cross the border without having to stay in a government authorized accommodation,”

"Fully vaccinated individuals still need a screening test before departure as well as a covid test upon arrival, they will have to be in quarantine at home until they get a negative result to their test. "
I am fine with that for a first step. From the sounds of it, it will be awhile longer before tourists will be allowed in.

The quarantine adjustments are great - but the testing requirements are still crazy expensive. We have limited private testing in MB, they're about $500 each. This adds $1000 for the two of us on the way down, and I presume a similar cost for the private tests on the way home too. We've booked, but are still ready to pull the plug if these aren't lifted, or better options for private testing come to MB. Shoppers in BC/AB/ON offers tests for about $200 🤷‍♀️

The quarantine adjustments are great - but the testing requirements are still crazy expensive. We have limited private testing in MB, they're about $500 each. This adds $1000 for the two of us on the way down, and I presume a similar cost for the private tests on the way home too. We've booked, but are still ready to pull the plug if these aren't lifted, or better options for private testing come to MB. Shoppers in BC/AB/ON offers tests for about $200 🤷‍♀️

Why do you need to test going down? Does the US have mandatory testing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter