Land Border Opening?

Ottawa to end hotel quarantine; relaxed rules for vaxxed travellers, border changes coming Friday: reports

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/a...avellers-border-changes-coming-friday-reports
BOOM!
I don’t know what the point is of returning travellers to still get a Covid test if fully vaccinated? And quarantine at home until results are in. Guess that will still nix Aug trip. Daughter gets 2 weeks, and we are booked to return Saturday night for her return to work Monday. Or shorten vacay to return early for test & quarantine. Ugh. Last I looked charge for test was $200ish per person.
I wonder if the US will still require neg test to enter? This will add a prox $800 to trip. .

The reason for the tests coming and going is that no one is certain how well the vaccines will work against the variants that are now (or may be). It is still possible to contract Covid (or variants) and transmit them to others. Again the science isn't certain yet to what degree so they are still being cautious.

I was just reading an article that the EU that states:

European Union lawmakers on Wednesday endorsed a new travel certificate that will allow people to move between European countries without having to quarantine or undergo extra coronavirus tests, paving the way for the pass to start in time for summer.

I am thinking Canada will eventually do something similar since we tend to look at Europe for our every decision we make LOL

I don’t know what the point is of returning travellers to still get a Covid test if fully vaccinated? And quarantine at home until results are in. Guess that will still nix Aug trip. Daughter gets 2 weeks, and we are booked to return Saturday night for her return to work Monday. Or shorten vacay to return early for test & quarantine. Ugh. Last I looked charge for test was $200ish per person.
I wonder if the US will still require neg test to enter? This will add a prox $800 to trip. .

Because there is still a slight chance you could catch covid with the vaccine (just not likely to actually get sick). And with the variants they are being cautious. Of course just one test won’t be 100%, but every thing in combination drops the risk drastically.

And they aren’t talking about a 2 week quarantine, just a few days to get results. Most likely 2-3 days. If they do testing right at the airport and have that even for under 12 that makes our trip doable. We would be back a couple days before we need to be back at work and school anyways.

Maybe all of this will take place until Canada develops its Vaccine Certificate? If they plan on lifting the borders very soon, maybe they are still working on their ArriveCAN app.

Maybe all of this will take place until Canada develops its Vaccine Certificate? If they plan on lifting the borders very soon, maybe they are still working on their ArriveCAN app.

They may also do this as a way to slowly open up especially for things like people coming to visit family etc. Or going to the US to see family. It’s a lot easier to work in a
quarantine of 2-3 days while you wait for test results then 2 weeks.

Because there is still a slight chance you could catch covid with the vaccine (just not likely to actually get sick). And with the variants they are being cautious. Of course just one test won’t be 100%, but every thing in combination drops the risk drastically.

And they aren’t talking about a 2 week quarantine, just a few days to get results. Most likely 2-3 days. If they do testing right at the airport and have that even for under 12 that makes our trip doable. We would be back a couple days before we need to be back at work and school anyways.
That would be good if they did test right at airport. I wonder how long to get results. May still have to shorten trip to allow time to get results If WDW allows. I’m remembering they changed rules that you can’t shorten dates anymore unless all new dates are available and may not get same rate ugh. Guess that’s another piece of info we need. My head hurts!
Have you read anything about cost? Or if we’re still going to have to provide neg Covid test to enter US?
I always have the option of driving across border and pick up flight at Seatac. Wonder if rules will be different driving across? So much to consider!

I am also curious about the testing upon return. Halifax just started testing people at the airport this week Well, they are take-home tests (or you can get someone to do it for you at the airport). I believe these are free.

Would you need to take a test at MCO before boarding your flight into Canada? Or take a test at the first Canadian airport you land at?

That would be good if they did test right at airport. I wonder how long to get results. May still have to shorten trip to allow time to get results If WDW allows. I’m remembering they changed rules that you can’t shorten dates anymore unless all new dates are available and may not get same rate ugh. Guess that’s another piece of info we need. My head hurts!
Have you read anything about cost? Or if we’re still going to have to provide neg Covid test to enter US?
I always have the option of driving across border and pick up flight at Seatac. Wonder if rules will be different driving across? So much to consider!

They have had testing at Pearson for a while now. I have no idea about cost though. I thought the US didn’t require a test for vaccinated people. But o don’t remember where I saw that, so I don’t know how reliable that is.

To me , it’s sounds like it could be a great first step. Gradually and safely open things up while we continue to increase vaccination rates and watch variants. This is all I hoped for … a road map forward. We’re getting one .
I’ve chosen January for my trip to give things a good while to play out . The reality is that we could get to winter and a new out of control variant could slam things shut again. This is our reality now and I think we will have to be ready to pivot for years .

From the article I read it said the test would be upon arriving meaning it is the one done at the airport right now that you take before going to hotel quarantine, not the one you take before boarding a plane. Those generally come back fairly quick and are free

From the article I read it said the test would be upon arriving meaning it is the one done at the airport right now that you take before going to hotel quarantine, not the one you take before boarding a plane. Those generally come back fairly quick and are free
thanks!

Yes I think they will be the rapid tests at the airports since they are cheaper. And this way they can still catch some cases upon arrival (1-3 days).

They have had testing at Pearson for a while now. I have no idea about cost though. I thought the US didn’t require a test for vaccinated people. But o don’t remember where I saw that, so I don’t know how reliable that is.
Thanks! I read about US Covid test on my airline web site when I booked my flight from YVR to MCO. Then someone posted here about a form you have to submit to US about your vaccine status and neg test result.

So happy to hear this, more good news pointing to my DH being able to come with me in September 😊😊 Just need the 14 day quarantine removed and he will be able to come. I would prefer my first trip back not to be a solo trip even though I love solo trips.

It will be. You would just need to take a test at the airport and quarantine until you got the results (1-3 days).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter