Key West - what to see and do

The trolley looks great but it is expensive for a family. Is there any cheaper way to get around? I really want to go to the southernmost point and hemingway museum, but we are going in August and it will be SO hot to try and walk - am I right it is about a mile or so from where the ship comes in? If the weather were cooler it would be fine, but I'm afraid we'll melt :rotfl: .

The trolley looks great but it is expensive for a family. Is there any cheaper way to get around? I really want to go to the southernmost point and hemingway museum, but we are going in August and it will be SO hot to try and walk - am I right it is about a mile or so from where the ship comes in? If the weather were cooler it would be fine, but I'm afraid we'll melt :rotfl: .

Key West does have a very high humidity and hot weather during the summer months and if you are not use to it, it will take its toll - make sure you have those cool packs that wrap around the shoulders and make sure also that you carry water with you IF you choose to walk - from Mallory Square you are looking at about 1 and 3/4 miles apart from Hemingway and then another
1/4 mile to the Southermost point. The Trolley is the best way to go for you can get off and on at your choosing - cabs are very expensive like everything else is in Key West.
Sorry :sad1:
always
Shirley

Thanks Shirley, I live in southern TX so we have plenty of humidity here so that is exactly why I don't want to walk it in August, in all my life I don't think I have ever gotten used to it. :guilty: I just wanted to make sure I am not missing any other options. I really like the sound of the trolley tour so I would like to do that, and get some history in too. My sons love maps and identifying things in the US so I really want them to be able to say they have been to the southern most point when they go back to school and be able to rattle off that bit of info for their new teachers . . . vacation + education = great combo! :upsidedow:upsidedow

Thanks again!!:cheer2:

Thanks Shirley, I live in southern TX so we have plenty of humidity here so that is exactly why I don't want to walk it in August, in all my life I don't think I have ever gotten used to it. :guilty: I just wanted to make sure I am not missing any other options. I really like the sound of the trolley tour so I would like to do that, and get some history in too. My sons love maps and identifying things in the US so I really want them to be able to say they have been to the southern most point when they go back to school and be able to rattle off that bit of info for their new teachers . . . vacation + education = great combo! :upsidedow:upsidedow

Thanks again!!:cheer2:

MAKE SURE THAT YOU GO BY THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE WHICH IS LOCATED RIGHT THERE AT MALLORY SQUARE - they have so much information to share with our visitors - I was born and raised there and we were never ever bothered with anything including hurricanes, but now when Norm and I go down, we can't wait to jump into the car and turn on the A/C and we leave it on in our rooms. Norm and I were talking that it is much hotter there now OR we have become use to the A/C :rotfl2:
Now there are shops you can run in and out of to cool off, but sometimes that can become expensive also - It can be very vicious - I know that many of our friends still there, do not use any type of AC except fans so they really are not bothered.
Take care and hope you have a chance to enjoy it all
always
Shirley

I can relate Shirley, I grew up WITHOUT air conditioning, and now I can not imagine living even a day without it. I get hot even with the air on :confused3. I also don't know if it has gotten hotter or I have become spoiled (think it's the second one) :laughing: .

We will be sure to check out the chamber. My kids have never been out of Texas so we can't wait for adventures! Key West sounds like somewhere I'd love to live someday when I can retire!! I love the ocean.

Thanks again! :flower3:

Ok you KW experts... what would be my best choice for transportation...

I am planning to attend church when in KW which is clear up on Northside Drive. But, I also would like to go to the Southrnmost point, possibly find somewhere that sells Nativity sets (I collect them), and make a stop at Diamonds International...

Is it logical to be able to walk everywhere, would cab fares kill me in the long run, what about renting those electric cars I've heard about?

Help! ;)

Has anyone done the Pirate Scavenger Hunt in Key West? Is it worth it?

Ok you KW experts... what would be my best choice for transportation...

I am planning to attend church when in KW which is clear up on Northside Drive. But, I also would like to go to the Southrnmost point, possibly find somewhere that sells Nativity sets (I collect them), and make a stop at Diamonds International...

Is it logical to be able to walk everywhere, would cab fares kill me in the long run, what about renting those electric cars I've heard about?

Help! ;)

What church is on Northside Drive?? My stepson lives on Northside and I was just curious and as for Nativity sets, I have no idea but then there are so many vendors living in Key west from all over the world and they could carry them in their shop - I do know that the Catholic Church St Mary of the Seas does have a gift shop and they could carry them - to get to all these places, walking would not be an option unless you are use to walking a lot - even though Key West is a 2 by 4 island, its not when I was a kid and walked everywhere - traffic is horrific and some of the drivers also - you can speak to Renata from conch electric cars and she will give you a great deal if you tell her you off this board - remember if you are going when it is extra hot, you will be best to hire transportation.
Good luck
Always
shirley

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter