Keep Calm and Go to Disney! 10/21 - 11/4/14 COMPLETE

So they were truffle fries!!! I'm a sucker for all things truffle. May have to swing through crews cup next trip.

Sorry your steak was a bust, but yeah flying fish for good service and making it right. We've always been huge fans but like you last trip was good, not great. Will probably skip it next trip too.

Speaking of next trip, where are you eating? Sounds like your kids don't want to go anywhere ; )

I am sorry you were slightly disappointed with Flying Fish. I like both the snapper and the steak. Jay and I will be doing the Chefs Table in July. I cannot wait! Looking forward to your TH review!

We've eaten at Crews Cup for lunch or dinner on each of our last several trips. DH likes the Angus burger and I like the clam chowder. I've also had the short ribs which were excellent and the sirloin steak, which was pretty good, too. It is nice to have a place where there is good food and you don't need an ADR to eat there.

I remember the bread story from your May 2014. Talk about the server blowing a situation out of proportion. :upsidedow At least you got a free meal out of it and a great topic of conversation for the future. :)

Which lounge do you think is better for food, Crew's Cup or Territory Lounge?

And yes, that dinner is one I will definitely never forget. I was a little afraid that I would be given that server again but thank goodness that didn't happen. I actually didn't see him in the restaurant, so not sure if he's even still there.

Flying Fish, my faaaavorite~ You most definitely need to enjoy the taste of char to like that steak (which I do!) as it is strong, but oh that snapper is creamy and delicious and I'm glad you got to enjoy a full portion of it! It's great that your server was so accommodating! :thumbsup2

BECKY!!! :cool1: So great to hear from you again. It's been way too long! I hope you will stick around for awhile. :goodvibes

Really enjoying your reviews! Trails End breakfast looks awesome. I really wanted to try it this trip but you're right about the transportation. Since we're not staying at Wilderness Lodge this year I couldn't find a way to easily work it into our plans. Next time I hope. Thanks for the review of Crew's Cup Lounge. The menu looks great, I hope we get a chance to try it.

I'm am anxiously awaiting your review of bluezoo. After lots of back and forth I decided to book bluezoo over Flying Fish and I worry that I made the wrong decision. FF looks beautiful.

Thanks, glad you are enjoying the reviews. Unfortunately, due to circumstances which I will later explain, I'm afraid that my review of bluezoo will not do it justice. Therefore, it probably won't be of much help with your decision. Though I myself prefer Flying Fish, there are probably many more out there that would say that bluezoo blows Flying Fish away. So I think that either way you go on this one, you will have a great meal.

That fish looks delicious at Flying Fish! Yummy.
Can't wait to hear about Tusker House!

I will be posting Tusker House momentarily...all three parts of it! :laughing:

Flying fish looks good I've heard good things about it but have yet to try it. If I stay at the boardwalk on my next trip I just may have to. I love tusker house can't wait to hear about it.

Tusker House is coming right up! :thumbsup2

Wow you have just been cranking out the reviews! I got way behind. Just catching up a bit...

I was excited to read your La Hacienda review, because that is one of my favorite meals in Epcot. It's disappointing about the margarita. I can personally vouch for the rose margarita they offer (on the rocks). It was the strongest thing I've ever tasted! (and had a bit too much rose taste for my liking, so I'll probably never get that again)

The seafood platter looks amazing. I'm not a huge fan of tilapia, but your endorsement might just convince me to try it one day. :thumbsup2

Yes, I recently realized that I have nearly 20 more reviews to write and post plus a wrap-up and I'm leaving for my next trip to WDW in just 29 days. Yikes!! :eek: Consequently, I knew it was time to speed things up a bit. :laughing:

Regarding La Hacienda's rose margarita, I hate it when food/drinks taste like flowers. For me, flowers are to look at and smell, not eat or drink. :lmao:

Love the look of that entrée at Narcoosee's. Sounds right up my alley!

I have never stayed at Boardwalk but there is something very appealing about the room décor. Your view was incredible!

Oh and I could stand for those rock shrimp from Crew's Cup right about now. Looks like a wonderful trip, and you get to go back so soon!

I wish I was going to be going to both Narcoossee's and Crew's Cup on my upcoming trip but sadly I doubt we will be visiting either one. :sad2: I will though be staying at the Boardwalk again, this time in a 1 bedroom villa since there will be four of us and need a little more space. So I'm happy about that, plus I'll be at Disney World so no matter where we end up eating it will be better than eating at home. :thumbsup2

Speaking of next trip, where are you eating? Sounds like your kids don't want to go anywhere ; )

Three kids (ages 19 - 25), all with very different ideas about where they want to eat. :laughing: I would tell you our current dining line-up but I'm fairly certain they will change it on me several more times before we leave on May 12th. ;)

I am sorry you were slightly disappointed with Flying Fish. I like both the snapper and the steak. Jay and I will be doing the Chefs Table in July. I cannot wait! Looking forward to your TH review!

Oh, I remember when you did the Chefs Table with Andrew a few years ago. It looked soooo good! The Chefs Table is something that is on my Disney bucket list. Hope you and Jay have a great meal! ::yes::

Which lounge do you think is better for food, Crew's Cup or Territory Lounge?
Crew's Cup is better for food because it serves burgers and other "real" food and is open for lunch. Territory Lounge serves appetizers, no burgers, although they will serve off the Artist Point menu. Territory Lounge doesn't open until 4:30pm. If you really want something to eat but don't want either a counter service or a full table service, Crews Cup is the way to go. :)

Thursday, October 30th

TUSKER HOUSE BREAKFAST
Part I

This was another early morning for me, as I had another pre-park opening breakfast scheduled...this time at

When I arrived by bus that morning at the park entrance there were less than a handful of guests waiting to enter...

I had never before seen a park entrance that empty! Oh, and by the way, that photo was taken at 7:35 a.m. on a day when the park was to open at 9:00.

They began letting in those of us with Tusker House breakfast reservations at about 7:45. I was the second person through the gate, but was passed up by a few of those who entered behind me when I stopped to snap some photos of the Tree of Life. I guess they were hungrier than me. ;)

Even with the stop, I still made it to the check-in desk for Tusker House at 7:53 and took this photo of their menu...

After checking in for my 8:05 ADR and having my photo taken with the Tusker House sign (which by the way, seemed pretty pointless :rolleyes:), I waited awhile before being seated (around 8:15) at a two top table in the middle of the back room furthest from the buffet area. But then I hit the ground running to the buffet stations in hopes of getting some decent shots of the food before it was all picked over and ugly looking. :laughing:

And so, I present to you the Tusker House breakfast food starting with the Bread & Pastries station. Here there were croissants and assorted bagels...

Toppings included both Vegetable and Plain Cream Cheese, Whipped Butter, and Assorted Jams, Jellies, and Fruit Chutneys...

I believe these were apple turnovers, but I think they had strawberry turnovers too.

Blueberry bread, along with orange bread and lemon poppy seed bread in the background...

Yay for Krispy Kreme Doughnut Holes!

Then there were Chocolate Twists...

Coffee cake, Corn bread, and Mealie Corn Bread...

I also noticed these Gluten-free options...

For fruit, there was Cantaloupe, Pineapple, Honeydew, and Watermelon...

It's Bananas...B-A-N-A-N-A-S! :banana:

I'm pretty sure there were also grapes but don't seem to have a photo of them.

Cold cereals included Rice Krispies and Fruit Loops...

As well as, Corn Flakes and Raisin Bran...

There were also hot cereals of Oatmeal and Mealie Pap...

Along with the toppings of Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, and Raisins...

All good stuff, but stay tuned for Part II with the really good stuff! :thumbsup2

- Continued in next post -

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear that your Flying Fish dinner was just good. My husband and I split the steak and I don't remember it ever being that charred. I am glad your second piece of fish was even better than the first. Those Peanut Butter Freezes are amazing!

TUSKER HOUSE BREAKFAST
Part II

Now for the egg options, starting with the basic Scrambled Eggs...

Potato & Leek Frittata and Ham & Cheese Frittata...

There was also a Vegetable Quiche but my photo of it is really bad.

Four potato choices which included Tater Tots...

Both Oven Roasted Yukon Gold Potato Wedges...

...and Oven Roasted Red Skin Potatoes.

Also Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole...

There were Sweet Plantains...

A very blurry photo of the Beef Bobotie...

Biscuits & Sausage Gravy...

Breakfast meats of bacon and sausage patties (instead of the usual links)...

Spiced Corn Beef Hash with Cornbread Topping...

Cheese Blintz with Cherry & Apple Toppings...

And of course, lots of Mickey Waffles!

Last from the Carving Station, Spit-roasted Bone-in Ham served with Sweet & Spicy Honey Mustard...

Stay tuned for Part III with my choices!

- Continued in next post -

Last edited:
TUSKER HOUSE BREAKFAST
Part III

Now for my choices...

Ham and honey mustard, ham & cheese frittata, potato wedges, tater tots, sweet potato casserole ('cause you can never have too many potatoes :laughing: ), and sweet plantains

Blueberry bread, corn bread, Mickey waffle and Krispy Kreme doughnut hole

Oh, and for my beverages I got both coffee (an entire pitcher was placed on my table) and Jungle juice (orange, guava, and passion fruit)...

Everything was good, but for me the highlights were some of the more unusual items. These favorites included the ham with the delicious sweet and spicy mustard, the sweet plantains, and the sweet potato casserole. While the Mickey waffle was good, this was my 5th of the trip so the "wow factor" was definitely wearing off. ;) I also wrote in my notes that I liked the blueberry bread. It was chocked full of fresh blueberries and was very moist and tasty.

Ok, that just leaves the obligatory character photos. :laughing: The characters here are Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and Daisy. With it just being me, there wasn't a lot of character interaction. Just a quick stop at my table for a photo or two and then on to the next table, which for me was perfectly fine. :thumbsup2

With Donald...

Mickey...

And Daisy Duck...

I refuse to post the one with Goofy, as it is embarrassingly awful! :lmao:

So the breakfast food at Tusker House was good and I really enjoyed some of the more unusual options at the buffet. My only negative regarding the food is that they didn't have a Made-to-Order Omelet station. People often compare this breakfast with that at AKL's Boma. IMO, Boma wins hands down in the comparison. Not only do they have a little more variety of options, but I was also able to get my much loved made-to-order omelet there. I will say though that if you want to have breakfast inside the park and/or want to have a little fun with some of the classic Disney characters then this is a great alternative. :thumbsup2

Would I return to Tusker House? Yes, I would! ::yes:: This was my first experience at Tusker House, but it won't be my last. As of now, we are scheduled for a late breakfast ( at 10:45) during our upcoming trip so that I can also try some of the lunch food, which I believe is available starting at around 11:00. I haven't yet told my kids though that this is a character meal, so this might get the "heave ho" from our dining line-up when I do come clean. :worried: But regardless, I will be back someday to Tusker House to carry out my brunch plans. :thumbsup2

ETA: I tracked down my receipts from my breakfasts at both Boma and Tusker House and I was quite surprised at what I found. While the price of the Boma breakfast buffet was reasonably priced at $21.99 (before tax, tip, and TIW discount), the Tusker House breakfast was $29.99. :eek: This was my most expensive breakfast of the trip! I now might reconsider my plan to visit Tusker House on my upcoming trip. Hmm..something to ponder. :scratchin

Next Up: Lunch at Teppan Edo

Last edited:
I have only been to Tusker House once, and I can't believe I missed so many food offerings. Of course I miss a lot of things at Disney, because it's such a sensory overload. I'm trying to be better at slowing down and noticing the details, and food lol. Anyway Great Reviews so far!! Cant wait for your Teppan Edo Review. I really like that you take pics of the buffets, I have read a lot of your reviews...Keep them Coming!!!

Glad you enjoyed Tusker House. It's the only character meal we've tried where I've actually enjoyed the food. Though I agree the photo out front now that Donald is inside is completely and utterly pointless.

And now we know one of your restaurants for next month ; ) We did a late breakfast to lunch turnover unintentionally on our first trip to Tusker and really enjoyed having both as an option.

Interested to see the Boma price comparison. I've heard it is better than Tusker, just haven't made my way there yet

We loved Tusker House. :) We are staying at AKL next trip so I was tempted to do both Boma and TH (we've never done Boma) but Boma wins because it's new. And my fiance isn't a huge fan of breakfast buffets (WHAT!!) so only one for us next time. The made to order omelet station sounds great. I missed the ham at TH - it looks delicious.

We had breakfast at Tusker House with our grandchildren and had a great time. All I can remember about the food was how much I loved the ham. It was delicious. :)

I've tried both, and I would agree hands down that Boma breakfast is the best of the two!

OH, that all looks sooooo good! We have done TH breakfast last 2 trips and really enjoyed. We opted to try some new things next trip, but your post has me regretting that a little bit!
Ugh, the character meals are all so expensive. I think that's the main reason we get the dining plan, so we don't have to "pay" the bill. I'm sure I would be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Can't wait to hear about Teppan Edo. Going back and forth between it and Coral Reef for our October trip!

Joining back in! Love that corned beef hash with corn bread topping at Tusker House! It is so good!

I am so sorry to hear that your Flying Fish dinner was just good. My husband and I split the steak and I don't remember it ever being that charred. I am glad your second piece of fish was even better than the first. Those Peanut Butter Freezes are amazing!

I might just have to sneak in to Flying Fish sometime during my upcoming trip just to have a peanut butter freeze! ;)

I have only been to Tusker House once, and I can't believe I missed so many food offerings. Of course I miss a lot of things at Disney, because it's such a sensory overload. I'm trying to be better at slowing down and noticing the details, and food lol. Anyway Great Reviews so far!! Cant wait for your Teppan Edo Review. I really like that you take pics of the buffets, I have read a lot of your reviews...Keep them Coming!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the sensory overload. I have though found that I catch a lot more details during more solo trips...things I've never noticed before during my many family trips to WDW. My next trip will be with my 3 kids along so I have a feeling that my dining reviews will be much less detailed. But then again, there should be four times the amount of food. :laughing:

Anyway, thanks for reading. Teppan Edo should be up very soon. :thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed Tusker House. It's the only character meal we've tried where I've actually enjoyed the food. Though I agree the photo out front now that Donald is inside is completely and utterly pointless.

And now we know one of your restaurants for next month ; ) We did a late breakfast to lunch turnover unintentionally on our first trip to Tusker and really enjoyed having both as an option.

Interested to see the Boma price comparison. I've heard it is better than Tusker, just haven't made my way there yet

I was surprised to find that Tusker House breakfast at $29.95 was the most expensive breakfast of my two week trip. And it was $8 more than Boma. I completely missed that fact at the time. So I might be reconsidering my plan to talk my kids into this one and save my efforts for somewhere else. ;)

We loved Tusker House. :) We are staying at AKL next trip so I was tempted to do both Boma and TH (we've never done Boma) but Boma wins because it's new. And my fiance isn't a huge fan of breakfast buffets (WHAT!!) so only one for us next time. The made to order omelet station sounds great. I missed the ham at TH - it looks delicious.

Oh, if you are staying at AKL then I most definitely recommend a visit to Boma for breakfast. Not only is it a lot cheaper and has the made-to-order omelets, but it also has a carving station with ham. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

OK, Tusker House is definitely going on my to-do list for a future trip! It looks amazing!!

Tusker House breakfast is a great choice if you want a character meal and/or a good restaurant with plenty of food choices in the park...especially given the limited full-service restaurant options at Animal Kingdom. :thumbsup2

We had breakfast at Tusker House with our grandchildren and had a great time. All I can remember about the food was how much I loved the ham. It was delicious. :)

Ahh yes, the ham is one of the main reasons why I wanted to return on my upcoming trip. Just trying to decide now if it's worth the premium price. :scratchin

I want to try Tusker House on my next trip. Are you able to get refills of the Jungle Juice?

Yes, unlimited refills of juice, coffee, tea, and milk are included in the price. :thumbsup2

I've tried both, and I would agree hands down that Boma breakfast is the best of the two!

Yes, my preference for Boma was solidified further once I discovered that I paid $29.95 for Tusker House and only $21.95 for Boma. ::yes::

Oh my beloved TH!! It's my favorite character breakfast but Boma is a little better.

While I really enjoyed my breakfast at Tusker House, I would say that it wasn't quite as good as another character meal I did on this trip. I'll reveal my favorite at the end of dining report in a wrap-up post. ;)

OH, that all looks sooooo good! We have done TH breakfast last 2 trips and really enjoyed. We opted to try some new things next trip, but your post has me regretting that a little bit!
Ugh, the character meals are all so expensive. I think that's the main reason we get the dining plan, so we don't have to "pay" the bill. I'm sure I would be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Can't wait to hear about Teppan Edo. Going back and forth between it and Coral Reef for our October trip!

Yes, paying the bills on this trip was relatively painless since it was just me. However, on my next trip there will be four of us so I foresee a lot of "pain" in my future. :worried: At least my TIW card will still be valid. This will be the third trip that I've gotten on that $100 card so it's definitely been a good value for me. :thumbsup2

Joining back in! Love that corned beef hash with corn bread topping at Tusker House! It is so good!

Welcome back! :wave2: I didn't have the corned beef dish but if I do go back to TH on my next trip then I will give it a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter