Just back from DVC Magic NYC cruise any questions?

Beautiful photos! Especially the panoramic shot. I just grilled my DH as to how you managed to get that picture.

Thanks so much for posting and clarifying a few things! Really appreciate it.
We had a fantastic cruise and can't thank the cast and crew enough for all you did to make everything seamlessly perfect!
Hope you managed a little time to enjoy NYC and the seas aren't too bad over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks. The crew deck is my favourite place on the ship and I was lucky enough to be on a break as we sailed away! probably won't happen again tho :( I managed to get about an hour and a half off in NY (enough time to run to TS and get real food), but couldn't get off this last NY. Im lucky enough to have been there a twice on vacation already.
Hope you had a great cruise and come back soon.

Thank you everyone for all this exciting info. The swag was amazing. Sounds like a trip to be remembered.

Thanks. The crew deck is my favourite place on the ship and I was lucky enough to be on a break as we sailed away! probably won't happen again tho :( I managed to get about an hour and a half off in NY (enough time to run to TS and get real food), but couldn't get off this last NY. Im lucky enough to have been there a twice on vacation already.
Hope you had a great cruise and come back soon.

We had a great cruise and really miss it.
We're booked on the Magic next summer 2017. Our first time to Europe. Can't wait.

btw - How was the weather overall this past week? Looked like you had a couple bad days in Canada.
Hope the rest of the NY cruises are nice as you head South.

Curious... do you remember what the DVC point add-on offer was?
Thanks!

I did not manage to get to any of the dvc sales presentations this cruise but I believe the point add-ons were no different than the offers they are currently promoting right now. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

Thank you everyone for all this exciting info. The swag was amazing. Sounds like a trip to be remembered.

Thanks we had an amazing time. Loved this cruise.

We had a great cruise and really miss it.
We're booked on the Magic next summer 2017. Our first time to Europe. Can't wait.

btw - How was the weather overall this past week? Looked like you had a couple bad days in Canada.
Hope the rest of the NY cruises are nice as you head South.

I love Europe. You'll love it. Don't think I'll still be here then tho...
The weather wasn't too bad considering. Was bad around Sydney and Halifax, but could have been a lot worse if we'd have stuck to original itinerary...

The photo was taken near Sydney and was probably the worst day...
image.jpeg

wow! where to begin? PoisonIvy - THANK YOU! This includes so much info that I bookmarked it! Thank you also to jiminy for help with parking procedures. And WOW that swag! It kept going on and on and on! Just when I thought DCL maxed on the swag there was more!

So we are in the Philly area and thought for sure we'd just drive but now this whole Pier 88 vs Pier 90 thing has me a little concerned. Should we try and just park in pier 90? Will they let you? We are walkers and don't mind walking but we will have little ones in tow with us, a 9 year old and 6 year old, they are used to walking but I just hope it's safe and not overwhelming to walk between piers.... comforting to know the porters will go all the way there, we'll be happy to toss them $20 if that's the case.

Also we're doing this cruise for many reasons but definitely want to see the statue of liberty, assume it's not a huge big deal if we're late to dinner on the first night to see the statue? My 6 year old really wants to see it

wow! where to begin? PoisonIvy - THANK YOU! This includes so much info that I bookmarked it! Thank you also to jiminy for help with parking procedures. And WOW that swag! It kept going on and on and on! Just when I thought DCL maxed on the swag there was more!

So we are in the Philly area and thought for sure we'd just drive but now this whole Pier 88 vs Pier 90 thing has me a little concerned. Should we try and just park in pier 90? Will they let you? We are walkers and don't mind walking but we will have little ones in tow with us, a 9 year old and 6 year old, they are used to walking but I just hope it's safe and not overwhelming to walk between piers.... comforting to know the porters will go all the way there, we'll be happy to toss them $20 if that's the case.

Also we're doing this cruise for many reasons but definitely want to see the statue of liberty, assume it's not a huge big deal if we're late to dinner on the first night to see the statue? My 6 year old really wants to see it

It's totally an easy walk. The biggest issue may be other pedestrians, but it's about the length of a short (north/south) NYC block (probably even slightly shorter). I stayed nearby and walked to the port with my 8 year old with 0 issues.

If I may, we drove and parked at the pier. All of the piers are attached, so to speak. We pulled up to the first pier ( there was a sign that staff was to park at that first pier) and there was a cashier. She asked us what ship we were sailing on and told us we need to park at pier 90. We paid her and she gave us a ticket and told us to pull in, make a u turn in the lot and exit to the next pier. We drove on to the next pier, where The Magic was docked, and the attendant there looked at our ticket and directed us in.
Now, if the lot where your ship is full, they will direct you to park in a lot where there are spots. I'd say it's less than a block in between the piers. It's kinda like walking outside the airport. There are sidewalks. We arrived around 9:30. There were plenty of spots and people still disembarking and driving off.
Someone had some great pictures around here. I couldn't find them, but made you this little map.

And you won't be the only one late to dinner that night. Have fun!

Attachments

• parking.png
    parking.png
    690.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

hanscarlet, we are also from the Philly area but on the Jersey side. We found driving to the pier to be the best and most affordable option for the four of us. The walking distance between the two piers is about a city block. There are sidewalks to walk on and the traffic was minimal. The walk could be a little longer depending upon where you are parked in the lot. We were all the way down at the end so the walk for us was about 2 blocks max. It really isn't a major concern as to what lot you park in. When we left the Magic was docked next to the lot at Pier 88 but on our return, the Magic was docked next to Pier 90. There were was a Norwegian vessel docked next to Pier 88 that must have arrived before us. There are plenty of porters walking around the terminal upon disembarkation and we tipped him $20 to transport all of our luggage and "swag" to our car. He even went as far to load our car for us.
If the Magic leaves on time, you should be able to see the Statue of Liberty before dinner. It took about 30 minutes to reach the Statue after we pushed back from the pier. It is about another 30 minutes to reach the Verrazano Bridge. You want to be on the starboard side of the ship to see the Statue.
The only problem we encountered driving was missing the exit for the terminal. The exit is at 55th Street but the street is not clearly marked. 54th Street is clearly marked so just be aware that the terminal exit will be on you left at the next intersection. There is a large green sign on overhead on the left that marks the exit.

I'm getting a ride to the port and am going to get dropped off. Any suggestions about the best place to be dropped off?

I'm getting a ride to the port and am going to get dropped off. Any suggestions about the best place to be dropped off?
They can drop you off right at the pier. There will be signs directing the driver where to go. If you look at the little map I made in my post above, the drop off lane is on the left and the parking lane is on the right. There will be a line of taxis, town cars and such waiting to drop off also so you can tell. Porters will be right there to take your bags.

Thanks for all of this great info! We are sailing on the 10-14-2017!!! NYC Magic cruise - but my son is departing this weekend, 10-22-2016!!!

Besides being a bit jealous, I am the "chauffeur" for drop off and pick up! We are from NJ, and I'm not that familiar with NYC driving - so the info above is very helpful - thank you all!

My question is what about "PICK-UP" on disembarkation day? Any tips / info / time suggestions? Any/all info will be much appreciated!

Besides being a bit jealous, I am the "chauffeur" for drop off and pick up! We are from NJ, and I'm not that familiar with NYC driving - so the info above is very helpful - thank you all!

My question is what about "PICK-UP" on disembarkation day? Any tips / info / time suggestions? Any/all info will be much appreciated!

You can't enter the terminal area for pick up. You'll have to pick him up across 12th Street. My parents met a driver there who basically double parked, called them and stood on the median waving his arms. It's really poorly thought out.

We came over on the Magic B2B (Med/Trans) and our cruise director for both was Lesley. She was OK. Would like to have Clayton. Booked for Wonder next June...we can only hope. On the morning of debarkation we got up at 5 pm to see the Statue of Liberty...very cool. They announced the sighting the day before. Hope the Magic can find a home over the next couple of days. We live in Portland, OR and when we hit the NYC port we walked (as stated above) a bunch before getting to our bus to get us to JFK. With the traffic, it took 1 1/2 hours. Flew to Boston first before getting a non-stop to PDX. We were overweight on both our big bags. What do you expect after three weeks and two bottles of rum. $200 solved the problem...yikes! From the look of all the swag above, you folks must have faced the same situation.

Wow a B2B Med/Trans must have been amazing. We ran into a guy who did the same B2B while waiting in the cruise terminal. He said he'd spent about a month travelling

$200 extra bag fees!?!? I'm taking notes for next years trip to Europe.
and, yes we did have baggage problems with all that swag. Luckily, travelling by rail had no fees.

Check it out.
Our train ride to NYC = 2 wheeled + 1 backpack and 1 tote (on the floor)

DSC03631_zpskr47mt5x.jpg

But here were all the carryon's for the trip home (plus a backpack.)

DSC05081_zpsiczrqtwk.jpg

Our return train ride = 2 wheeled + 1 backpack and 4 totes!!

DSC05115_zps5siw4ezd.jpg

DSC05159_zpsjbiwyum4.jpg

My sympathies to those boarding flights from our cruise.

Btw - we got up a bit earlier than you on disembarkation day.

It was so quiet on deck at 4 am

DSC04794_zpsvlowwqum.jpg

approaching the Verrazano Bridge at 4:30am

DSC04830_zpsgdq7orl3.jpg

4:35 am

DSC04835_zpsiymit731.jpg

4:45 bridge cleared and sailing in toward NYC

DSC04846_zps7ai23vxe.jpg

DSC04856_zpsgp3n3uu1.jpg

DSC04872_zpsueww9q9t.jpg

DSC04882_zpsshnosihb.jpg

Passing the Statue of Liberty at 5:00 am

IMG_0103_zpsp0giwuep.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsffo0x260.jpg

IMG_0107_zps07qxo1k9.jpg

It was so beautiful sailing in and out of NYC!!

You can't enter the terminal area for pick up. You'll have to pick him up across 12th Street. My parents met a driver there who basically double parked, called them and stood on the median waving his arms. It's really poorly thought out.

Thanks for the tip / info MaleficentRN ! Sounds like it is going to be "fun!" LOL! Gotta Love NYC!

I love Europe. You'll love it. Don't think I'll still be here then tho...
The weather wasn't too bad considering. Was bad around Sydney and Halifax, but could have been a lot worse if we'd have stuck to original itinerary...

The photo was taken near Sydney and was probably the worst day...
View attachment 201404

Too bad about the weather in port days. But I wholeheartedly agree it's better to be safe. Sorry we'll miss you in July. I'm did really love your photos!

Hopefully, you can get the information regarding where the Magic will dock for each leg of your cruise ahead of time. I'd contact the Manhattan Cruise Terminal if nothing else.

Also, keep in mind NCL's Gem and Breakaway have priority in NYC so if either is in port on the day you return (in our case it was a Sun), they'll be docked at Pier 88.

I'd probably just drive and park at the pier the ship is docked at when you arrive, and spring for a porter as Jiminy14 did if you happen to return to the other pier.

It is a bit far to lug everything between the two terminals.

DSC03723_zpshuehnsm9.jpg

Plus, It's a decent walk the length of these piers to begin with, when you leave the ship.

I cannot emphasize enough what a blessing the porters are at this port

DSC03688_zpsv9zc4chz.jpg

As I stated, we walked practically the length of pier to enter and again to exit the terminal.

Here you can see the distance, as we are walking off the ship w/carry-ons in tow heading to collect our luggage. (I strongly recommend putting bags out the night before if you don't need to early disembark.)

I'm standing stationary - looking up ahead toward the entrance.
IMG_0189_zpsitzapdjv.jpg

and glancing back at the exit ramp off the ship

IMG_0190_zpsr91rep4x.jpg

Finally!

IMG_0196_zpsxgc98tts.jpg

Once inside you'll see the porters available to assist - look for their safety vests.
(no pics except to peek in from the outside)

IMG_0188_zpseeln1smt.jpg

IMG_0191_zpsjtv88va9.jpg

They work hard. it's not that close to get to back to street level.
Again I'm standing in place here for the next two shots.

DSC05109_zpscb3dtkyr.jpg

IMG_0197_zpsyrqkeo0h.jpg

If you look to the right, you'll notice the street levels in the distance. We entered back into the terminal before exiting outside.

DSC05108_zps3yot7zec.jpg

The porters also assisted curbside to the cabs which were ready and waiting.

IMG_0199_zpsqflbqovh.jpg

on our way! Again, well worth the assistance. (we tipped 25 but that's a personal choice)

IMG_0207_zpslorll82k.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter