Just back from DVC Magic NYC cruise any questions?

Thank you for this amazing description of the NYC port with the pictures. So very helpful.
I was wondering about all of these things, and how painful it might be to drive to this port with little kids/babies and lots of luggage. Yes. Very illuminating. So... How about those DCL transfers!? ;)

About what time did you pass the Statue of Liberty on departure? I am trying to learn if we will see it if we have early dining
My family was also on this cruise and decided that seeing the Statue of Liberty was a priority over the evening show. We were late leaving the port (left around 5:30) and reached the Freedom Tower around 6:00. We passed the Statue of Liberty around 6:15 and sailed under the Verrazano Bridge around 6:30. For the best views of the Statue, you want to be on the starboard side and on the port side for the Freedom Tower and Manhattan.

About what time did you pass the Statue of Liberty on departure? I am trying to learn if we will see it if we have early dining

On our cruise, we didn't pull away from the pier until around 5:30pm. Someone on deck stated we were late. So hopefully the 5nt sail that left yesterday will report back with an earlier time.

I know we were waiting for the USCG and NYPD to clear the ship. We first spotted them onboard at 4:50pm

DSC03884_zpsacuitu6r.jpg

Once we saw them again on the bridge at 5:20pm with the crew, we knew we were getting ready to leave.

DSC03893_zpszkmbugzj.jpg

We finally headed out to the harbor at 5:42pm.

DSC03907_zps4nye5xos.jpg

DSC03936_zps17sxxdlf.jpg

You will be able to clearly see the Ellis Railroad Station, and Ellis and Liberty Island from many points along the way.

DSC03945_zpsdhcgvnmn.jpg

but it took about 40 min. to pass directly in front of the Statue of Liberty.

This photo was taken at 6:18pm

DSC03956_zpsoqnkwzge.jpg

We saw a lot of people clear out at this point - probably late to dinner.

Thank you for this amazing description of the NYC port with the pictures. So very helpful.
I was wondering about all of these things, and how painful it might be to drive to this port with little kids/babies and lots of luggage. Yes. Very illuminating. So... How about those DCL transfers!? ;)

Not sure where you are travelling in from or via rail/air/car.

IMO if the Magic is using Pier 90 both directions, you should have no problems driving and parking at the port.

But if the Magic is docking at Pier 88 you will most likely encounter parking limitations. The NCL uses this terminal, AND is offering a 25% discount on parking for the Norwegian Gem cruisers https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/ which may encourage more people to park.

We did take a cab from the train station and found it to be very reasonable and, convenient. I believe we paid approx. $12 each way to/from the NY Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Hopefully others on our cruise will share their transportation stories here. I know Bobbiwoz used the DCL transfers from the Marriott Marquis to the port. They were scheduled to be picked up at 11:15.

We were already thru security and checked in by then and given boarding #8. But I'm almost certain most of the DCL transfers arrived in time to board ahead of us as we had a TON of platinum cruisers who all checked in later but cleared out the terminal boarding with group #2, while we were still waiting to be called. They called for the rest of us - groups 4 and higher to all board together.

But again, this could be unique to our DVC Member cruise. There may not be nearly as many Platinum passengers with the other Magic NYC cruises this month.

My family was also on this cruise and decided that seeing the Statue of Liberty was a priority over the evening show. We were late leaving the port (left around 5:30) and reached the Freedom Tower around 6:00. We passed the Statue of Liberty around 6:15 and sailed under the Verrazano Bridge around 6:30. For the best views of the Statue, you want to be on the starboard side and on the port side for the Freedom Tower and Manhattan.
Thanks so much for posting. It helps a lot. Hoping you can share your experience getting to and from the port as well.

We did the same - skipped the evening show and stayed on deck as we sailed out of NYC and under the Verrazano Bridge.

I spoke with Clayton later that night and asked about the delay. He told me that two factors contributed to it. One was waiting for clearance from the authorities and the second was that there were a large number of pallets to be loaded. They had all the Member gifts and also had to restock because of the transatlantic crossing.

Thanks so much for the pictures and information!

We are taking the 8 night cruise next year. I am hoping Clayton is the director then too; he was the director for the 5 night cruise we took in January and we loved him. My kids still talk about him any time we take a small trip and break out into the whip and nae nae and say they are doing the 'I'm on vacation dance.'

At dinner that night, I found out from our server that there was another reason for the delay. He told me that there were 400 new CMs hired and they all had to be processed. He also told me there were several of the new hires that had problems with their visas. Not sure how that worked out.

At dinner that night, I found out from our server that there was another reason for the delay. He told me that there were 400 new CMs hired and they all had to be processed. He also told me there were several of the new hires that had problems with their visas. Not sure how that worked out.
I think our assistant server may have been among this group.

I spoke with Clayton later that night and asked about the delay. He told me that two factors contributed to it. One was waiting for clearance from the authorities and the second was that there were a large number of pallets to be loaded. They had all the Member gifts and also had to restock because of the transatlantic crossing.

I believe all of the above were probably true. Do you happen to know what time we were originally scheduled to depart?

Thanks so much for posting. It helps a lot. Hoping you can share your experience getting to and from the port as well.
We drove up from South Jersey. We left at 8:30 and pulled into a parking spot at 10:15. We would have been there by 10:00 had my DH not missed the turn for the terminal and he had to make two u-turns to get back. Traffic on the turnpike was light until we reached the Newark airport. The back-up at the Lincoln Tunnel was not bad and we got through there fairly quickly. We parked in lot 88 which overlooked the Intrepid. By the time we got there the lot was pretty full and we had to park all the way at the end. There were probably 15-20 spots left in that lot. You actually enter at the other lot (91 maybe) and then they directed us to lot 88. You must pay for the parking upon entry. They accept cash or credit cards but not American Express. When you pay, you are given a blue ticket that allows you to enter the lot and you must stop to have a security dog and his handler check your car. They do open your trunk or hatchback so be careful how you pack. There are no porters up in the parking lot so you must either tote all of your luggage or have the driver drop you off downstairs. We decided to lug everything because I did not want my DH to try to find his way back to the lot. There is a large freight elevator to take you downstairs and the operator will give you a ticket with the lot number on it as to where you parked. When you get downstairs there are plenty of porters there to take your bags.
Upon our return, the Magic was docked at Pier 91 which was a bit of a walk back to lot 88. We decided to use a porter to help us with our luggage and he took us all the way over to the other lot and loaded the car for us. This was a big help because there were four of us and with all the DVC swag, we had a lot to carry. My DH swears it was the best $20 he ever spent.
It is very easy to leave the lot but you must be careful on the lower level where the drop-off/pick-up area is. There was a large truck parked at the bottom of the ramp which obstructed our view and the cars leaving that area were driving way too fast. We then followed the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel which was kind of a roundabout way but as long as you follow the signs you will get there. From the lot to our home took an hour and a half which is amazing considering the traffic in NYC.

I believe all of the above were probably true. Do you happen to know what time we were originally scheduled to depart?
Based on past cruise experiences, I would say we probably should have left around 5:00. My DD reminded me that the horn played at 5:00 which should have signaled that the Magic was leaving. We were probably 30-45 minutes late.

Clayton was on the Wonder 2 summers ago. He did a great job! Hope he's still on the Magic in January.

How are we talking about Clayton without saying "Who's on vacation???"

We actually had Clayton for last years 7-nt Member Cruise to Alaska on the Wonder. I'm wondering if this is no coincidence. Clayton is the best of the best, and he and Ken Potrock, Sr. VP and GM of Disney Vacation Club and Adventures by Disney work exceptionally well together in hosting the DVC Member Cruises.

Thanks so much for the pictures and information!

We are taking the 8 night cruise next year. I am hoping Clayton is the director then too; he was the director for the 5 night cruise we took in January and we loved him. My kids still talk about him any time we take a small trip and break out into the whip and nae nae and say they are doing the 'I'm on vacation dance.'
Thanks. I hope this helps NYC cruisers planning vacations. I'm not sure how you can find out who will be cruise director on your cruise next year. I'm sure Clayton has many of us doing the "Who's on vacation" voices and dance moves. Sounds like your kids would love to see him again.

We drove up from South Jersey. We left at 8:30 and pulled into a parking spot at 10:15. We would have been there by 10:00 had my DH not missed the turn for the terminal and he had to make two u-turns to get back. Traffic on the turnpike was light until we reached the Newark airport. The back-up at the Lincoln Tunnel was not bad and we got through there fairly quickly. We parked in lot 88 which overlooked the Intrepid. By the time we got there the lot was pretty full and we had to park all the way at the end. There were probably 15-20 spots left in that lot. You actually enter at the other lot (91 maybe) and then they directed us to lot 88. You must pay for the parking upon entry. They accept cash or credit cards but not American Express. When you pay, you are given a blue ticket that allows you to enter the lot and you must stop to have a security dog and his handler check your car. They do open your trunk or hatchback so be careful how you pack. There are no porters up in the parking lot so you must either tote all of your luggage or have the driver drop you off downstairs. We decided to lug everything because I did not want my DH to try to find his way back to the lot. There is a large freight elevator to take you downstairs and the operator will give you a ticket with the lot number on it as to where you parked. When you get downstairs there are plenty of porters there to take your bags.
Upon our return, the Magic was docked at Pier 91 which was a bit of a walk back to lot 88. We decided to use a porter to help us with our luggage and he took us all the way over to the other lot and loaded the car for us. This was a big help because there were four of us and with all the DVC swag, we had a lot to carry. My DH swears it was the best $20 he ever spent.
It is very easy to leave the lot but you must be careful on the lower level where the drop-off/pick-up area is. There was a large truck parked at the bottom of the ramp which obstructed our view and the cars leaving that area were driving way too fast. We then followed the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel which was kind of a roundabout way but as long as you follow the signs you will get there. From the lot to our home took an hour and a half which is amazing considering the traffic in NYC.

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful for those planning to drive and park.

This is how the port website describes it: https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Manhattan Terminal

Parking
General Information
Save a Boatload on Parking – 25% off Parking on the Norwegian Gem

Parking is conveniently located above each of the piers. Drive up the Viaduct Ramp at 55th Street to the receiving area adjacent to the cruise vessel’s berth. Passengers parking a car must enter the terminal and park prior to bringing in bags to the second level for check-in. Passengers driving are unable to drop off bags and then park without exiting the terminal.

Parking Rates Effective January 2016

Daily Rate: Up to 10 Hours
(For drop offs/visitors)

$35.00

Cruise Parking
1 to 10 nights

$40.00/per night

Extended Cruise Parking
11 to 30 nights

$400.00

Taxes are included in the rates. Payment is due upon arrival into the parking lot. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Payment accepted by cash and Visa and MasterCard Credit Cards.

Hours

Cruise parking opens at 9:00 A.M. Check out at 1:00 P.M.

Additional Parking
Additional parking lots are located at 59th Street.

No Reservations
We do not accept reservations. Space is subject to availability and is provided to cruise parkers on a first come, first serve basis.

Height Restriction
8’3″ height restriction for all passenger vehicles.

Contact Us
For Ports America (Terminal Operator) Parking Information, call (212) 641-4454 or email MCT@nycedc.com.

There wasn't 400 new crew...There was a full crew immigration (first US port since before the summer in Europe), and anyone in their first contract with DCL took slightly longer, however we were all done by 9, and getting off the ship by 10am, so that wouldn't have delayed the departure... It was just waiting for the ship to be cleared

Based on past cruise experiences, I would say we probably should have left around 5:00. My DD reminded me that the horn played at 5:00 which should have signaled that the Magic was leaving. We were probably 30-45 minutes late.

The horn plays at 5 because its tied in with the sail away party, it doesn't necessarily signal when the ship is going to leave. We were told that we should expect to leave around 5.30...

We came over on the Magic B2B (Med/Trans) and our cruise director for both was Lesley. She was OK. Would like to have Clayton. Booked for Wonder next June...we can only hope. On the morning of debarkation we got up at 5 pm to see the Statue of Liberty...very cool. They announced the sighting the day before. Hope the Magic can find a home over the next couple of days. We live in Portland, OR and when we hit the NYC port we walked (as stated above) a bunch before getting to our bus to get us to JFK. With the traffic, it took 1 1/2 hours. Flew to Boston first before getting a non-stop to PDX. We were overweight on both our big bags. What do you expect after three weeks and two bottles of rum. $200 solved the problem...yikes! From the look of all the swag above, you folks must have faced the same situation.

The horn plays at 5 because its tied in with the sail away party, it doesn't necessarily signal when the ship is going to leave. We were told that we should expect to leave around 5.30...
We did not leave Barcelona for the start of our B2B Med/Trans for an hour and a half after the horn sounded. Learned later there was a medical emergency. Bummer when you are just starting your cruise. Second leg we left within minutes after the horn blew.

There wasn't 400 new crew...There was a full crew immigration (first US port since before the summer in Europe), and anyone in their first contract with DCL took slightly longer, however we were all done by 9, and getting off the ship by 10am, so that wouldn't have delayed the departure... It was just waiting for the ship to be cleared

I was just reporting what my server told me. I guess DCL servers are like WDW bus drivers, not all their information is necessarily true.

Here's a short but great video of the piers worth watching. A lot of history you may not know.

Finding information for this cruise was a bit difficult re: driving / parking etc...

Here's what I did manage to learn.

per the port authority website:https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/directions/

port%20map%20manhattan_zpsvhvdtz9n.jpg

Parking

Parking is conveniently located above each of the piers. Drive up the Viaduct Ramp at 55th Street to the receiving area adjacent to the cruise vessel’s berth. Passengers parking a car must enter the terminal and park prior to bringing in bags to the second level for check-in. Passengers driving are unable to drop off bags and then park without exiting the terminal.

Luggage Drop Off
Passengers arriving by private car should first park, and then drop off luggage on the second level for check-in. Passengers requiring parking are unable to drop off bags and then park without exiting the terminal.

Luggage Storage
There are no storage lockers for luggage at the terminal for passengers. You will need to find an alternate facility to store luggage.

As I stated earlier, our original plan was to drive.

My main questions were -

1. How easy is it to get to this Viaduct Ramp at 55th St from the Lincoln Tunnel?

manhattan-cruise-terminal-600x400_zpsiogrotpv.jpg

west_side_highway_nypst_21dec02_zpsnlu21co9.jpg

NY_Cruise_Ship_Terminal_Map_zpsrzexf5zy.jpg

2. Where do I go from there?
These are my photos driving in - snapped quickly from a cab window since we eventually went the rail/taxi route

We were coming from Midtown, so we actually drove in on 55th st. toward the 12th avenue intersection.

Crossing 12th (9A) from 55th.

DSC03670_zpsfflnawma.jpg

the ramp is actually right by 54th st. but you can only get on the access road from 55th.
(I'm not sure why the police presence with adj. street taped off - this was Wed. Sept 28 at 9:00am)

DSC03672_zpsguuhwywz.jpg

DSC03673_zpsyaagulxq.jpg

approaching the Viaduct ramp to the cruise terminals - DCL busses were on the ground level.

DSC03674_zpsmbl9vfqf.jpg

DSC03675_zpsispvt6xx.jpg

Split off - but there is no "intrepid parking" at this terminal so I assume they just exited back to the street level. (everything is one way and you can't get to Level 3 once you bear left here to Level 2)

DSC03676_zpsecox7vpy.jpg

DSC03712_zpsz3x0pqfn.jpg

Bear left (as we did) to proceed to cab/limo curbside drop off on level 2 - where the porters are waiting

DSC03678_zpsawzwnp8i.jpg

DSC03681_zpslpmtscg2.jpg

Bear right to proceed to security/cashier/parking level 3 (park and take elevator down to level 2 - outside to drop bags w/ porter)

Note: There are no porters up on pkg level 3 nor inside the terminal.

DSC03721_zpspibuft6o.jpg

DSC03763_zps3ci8t275.jpg

DSC03766_zpscmydbyid.jpg

DSC03697_zpsiqyuxej2.jpg

Also, It can be a long walk to the elevators depending on how far away you have to park up here.

DSC03740_zpsuf2dustt.jpg

But there was a baggage drop off area right by the elevator.

DSC03702_zpsqpjxzjko.jpg

Last edited:

Beautiful photos! Especially the panoramic shot. I just grilled my DH as to how you managed to get that picture.

Thanks so much for posting and clarifying a few things! Really appreciate it.
We had a fantastic cruise and can't thank the cast and crew enough for all you did to make everything seamlessly perfect!
Hope you managed a little time to enjoy NYC and the seas aren't too bad over the next couple of weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter