June 17 Wonder to Alaska

I have an 11 year old DD if you are interested. Since we are so new to the board I cannot send you a private message.

I have an 11 year old DD if you are interested. Since we are so new to the board I cannot send you a private message.

Cool. My daughter Delaney will be almost 11 (2 months shy) at the start of the cruise. She already tends to hang out with older kids -- her best friend is 12. One of her cousins, Jordan, who is 11 will be on the cruise with us so we're going to try to get my DD into Edge so they can hang out together. I'm sure my DD would also like to find other girls to hang out with.

Hi everyone

Well it's snowing in our little corner of England today so we are thinking of practicing for our dog sledging excursion down in the park! ;)

Looks like we are going to be house bound today so I think it's a good time to start writing my packing list :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend

Lx

I know that there is a bus that runs down to Mendenhall from the dock that's pretty inexpensive - might be worth looking into that
Trouble is there are so many amazing things to see and do that it's hard to narrow it down!
We arrive in Vancouver on the Thursday before the cruise, so we have four nights in the city to enjoy before we set sail :)
We are heading to Victoria one day ..... So exciting!!
Take a look at Trip Advisor and Urban Spoon for Vancouver restaurant reviews, there are plenty of inexpensive places that sound great, but then again I am so used to London prices I don't think they look too bad!!

Thank you Linda!! :flower3: That's exactly what I had just started researching and exactly what we are going to do, to get to Mendenhall Glacier. It's $16 roundtrip and I've read to pay for each portion one way that way you're not stuck waiting on a certain bus to return and you can come/go at your leisure. We are so excited. The only thing that makes us a little uneasy is the idea that bears walk right on the walking path - that will be awesome, however it will freak me out the most!! I'd prefer to see them at a distance, not in front of me. :rotfl2:

There is a shopping center around the corner from our hotel that has several restaurants in there, which also have free wifi so we've written down several of those. We know once we board the Wonder - we can eat all we want :)

Speaking of London - my BFF lives in London! She lives in the Highgate area and absolutely loves it! She is half Italian and moved there from the Rome area about 3 years ago and has never been happier. I actually grew up in Europe (military brat) and enjoyed my visit in London as well. I lived in Germany and Italy but travelled throughout Europe.

When I asked the shoreside concierge, they said night 2 (June 18th) is formal night and night 6 (June 22nd) is semi-formal.

Thanks for sharing with us! :goodvibes

Hi everyone

Well it's snowing in our little corner of England today so we are thinking of practicing for our dog sledging excursion down in the park! ;)

Looks like we are going to be house bound today so I think it's a good time to start writing my packing list :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend

Lx
Yikes!! Strangely here on the East Coast in NC, we are having record breaking cold weather as well. They are calling for possible freezing rain tomorrow and all the flowers and trees have been trying to bloom. Bring on Spring! I'm determined to get my "spreadsheet" started this weekend with all our trip info compiled so I can use it when I'm trying to remember things!

Take care everyone,
Heather

Is anyone else taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver? We come up the morning of the 16th after spending three days in Seattle (never been). We are staying near the cruise terminal and will spend most of the 16th exploring Vancouver. I wish had a few days there too. It is like we have a small PAC NW vacation before our vacation!

Is anyone else taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver? We come up the morning of the 16th after spending three days in Seattle (never been). We are staying near the cruise terminal and will spend most of the 16th exploring Vancouver. I wish had a few days there too. It is like we have a small PAC NW vacation before our vacation!

Hi! No, we made the decision to fly straight into Vancouver on the 15th as it really didn't save us much to fly into Seattle. I've been to Seattle several times and it is an awesome city! :) We will also be exploring Vancouver on the 16th and staying near the cruise terminal! :thumbsup2 Let's hope for awesome weather and I have read nothing but wonderful things abut Vancouver! :cheer2:

Heather

Me too, Heather. We are definitely going to check out Stanley Park and Granville Island. We probably don't have time for much else. We have another day to kill on the back side of the cruise too. We don't have to check in for our southbound train until 4:45 in the afternoon.

Crazy as it sounds, it was actually cheaper for us to fly into Seattle and take the train. I got some good deals through Alaska airlines. Plus, my DH has family in Seattle, so we don't have to pay for a hotel.

We'll be doing that too, but on Saturday. Most of my family is in Seattle, so we're spending the week before up there. We'll be staying at the Pan Pacific for that "take the elevator down to your ship" experience. That gives us half of Saturday and all day Sunday to check out Vancouver. Even though I spent the first 12 years of my life in Seattle, I've never been to Vancouver.

Awesome! Looks like you are in Northern California too? I'm in American Canyon, between Napa and Vallejo.

Yup! We're down in San Jose. I lived in Hercules for several years, so I'm quite familiar with the North Bay. I've always loved the little view of American Canyon that you get from I-80 coming back from Cordelia -- very pretty.

We'll be doing that too, but on Saturday. Most of my family is in Seattle, so we're spending the week before up there. We'll be staying at the Pan Pacific for that "take the elevator down to your ship" experience. That gives us half of Saturday and all day Sunday to check out Vancouver. Even though I spent the first 12 years of my life in Seattle, I've never been to Vancouver.

Yup! We're down in San Jose. I lived in Hercules for several years, so I'm quite familiar with the North Bay. I've always loved the little view of American Canyon that you get from I-80 coming back from Cordelia -- very pretty.

We're staying in the Pan Pacific too! I'm a sucker for convenience. And yes, our rolling green hills are so pretty thus time of year. Sounds like we are practically neighbors. :wave2:

Me too, Heather. We are definitely going to check out Stanley Park and Granville Island. We probably don't have time for much else. We have another day to kill on the back side of the cruise too. We don't have to check in for our southbound train until 4:45 in the afternoon.

Crazy as it sounds, it was actually cheaper for us to fly into Seattle and take the train. I got some good deals through Alaska airlines. Plus, my DH has family in Seattle, so we don't have to pay for a hotel.
Not crazy at all since I've read this numerous times. I was really hoping we could have used some of our SWA RR points to fly to Seattle but it just wasn't meant to be! You have awesome plans lined up saving on the hotel in Seattle is another plus!!! :cool1:

We're staying in the Pan Pacific too! I'm a sucker for convenience. And yes, our rolling green hills are so pretty thus time of year. Sounds like we are practically neighbors. :wave2:
WOOHOO!! We are also at the Pan Pacific and can't wait!! We expect to arrive around lunch time on Sat so we will also have 1.5 days in Vancouver. I know that's not a lot of time, but it's better than not seeing the city at all! :thumbsup2

Heather

Sounds like a party at the Pan Pacific!

Okay, obsessive cruise planning question #8,999: dining room assignments. I read in the Passporter that you can predict your dining room rotation based on child's age. Can anyone shed light on this? For those who have cruised before, how will it work?

Sounds like a party at the Pan Pacific!

Okay, obsessive cruise planning question #8,999: dining room assignments. I read in the Passporter that you can predict your dining room rotation based on child's age. Can anyone shed light on this? For those who have cruised before, how will it work?

Lol :rotfl2:

Hmm...I hadn't heard that about the dining assignments - interesting! I would think having kids might increase your chances of having Animators Palate twice on the 4 night Dream and also for the Pirates night but I'm not sure. We did get Animators Palate twice and therefore also for Pirates Night on our first Dream cruise, but we didn't on the second sailing but we booked the second one only 30 days out. We have never requested a special rotation since we just leave that up to chance. Early dining and dining alone would be our top two choices. Is there a "most requested" rotation for Alaska that you've read about?

Heather

Lol :rotfl2:

Hmm...I hadn't heard that about the dining assignments - interesting! I would think having kids might increase your chances of having Animators Palate twice on the 4 night Dream and also for the Pirates night but I'm not sure. We did get Animators Palate twice and therefore also for Pirates Night on our first Dream cruise, but we didn't on the second sailing but we booked the second one only 30 days out. We have never requested a special rotation since we just leave that up to chance. Early dining and dining alone would be our top two choices. Is there a "most requested" rotation for Alaska that you've read about?

Heather

I haven't heard of any rotation being better than others. I would just like to book a Palo dinner, but don't want to miss the Animator's Palate show, the taste of Alaska menu, or the Pixar party menu. I want it ALL! :rotfl2:

Juneau day would be a bad night for Palo anyway, because I suspect the small child will collapse after 5+ hours of whale watching. I will too. I'm thinking long nap before dinner.

So being a control freak, I'm trying to predict where we will be when. I don't want to change reservations once on board if I don't absolutely have to.

Hey everyone :goodvibes
Does anyone know what night the Taste Of Alaska menu is offered?
Looking at the 2012 navigators it seems to be the regular dinner in Parrot Cay
Also any more news that can be shared on on our possible Pirate night replacement? ;)

Hey everyone :goodvibes
Does anyone know what night the Taste Of Alaska menu is offered?
Looking at the 2012 navigators it seems to be the regular dinner in Parrot Cay
Also any more news that can be shared on on our possible Pirate night replacement? ;)

I've seen a few other posts on this, so I can post the little I know. It's going to be a "Pixar Pals" party. They decided that Pirates of the Caribbean just didn't fit in on the Alaska cruises, especially without fireworks. For us, it'll be doubly fun because Monsters U comes out the same day.

I don't have any info on when the Taste of Alaska menu will be served. My guess is that they will go back to doing it on a single night and that will be Pixar night. That's a complete SWAG on my part though.

Welcome!!! I see you are from NC - we are too!! :thumbsup2 We both have long flight times from the East Coast but it's nothing to complain about - after all, we are going to Alaska!! What day are you guys flying in? We are leaving at the crack of dawn on 6/15 and therefore getting in 2 days early, directly into Vancouver. :banana:

We'll be flying in on the day of the cruise. Air was arranged by Disney. I do kind of dread the long flight, but can't wait to be on board and meet everyone! We're flying out of Asheville, for this one. :banana:

Just curious - are any of you all doing the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles excursion in Ketchikan? It gets really great reviews but I haven't found hardly anyone that has done it. I'm on the fence about it. My DS really wants to do a gold mining excursion and I've read awesome reviews about the Lumberjack shows so I think *he* would get more out of those two (not necessarily in Ketchikan).

Perhaps when I see the times available LATE tonight it will help me decide.

It's still a priority to explore each city while we are there so I don't want to run out of time and feel rushed in port. Problems, right?? :rotfl:

C'mon midnight EST!! :)

Heather

So I am totally late to the party on this, I saw the post and thought I had replied already....but I guess it was all in my head. We went on the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles tour in 2011 and loved it. It was a smaller boat but very comfy. Run by a family. The captain brought his dog "Princess" who was the sweetest thing. Izzy just loved her. And he invited anyone who wanted to hang out in the wheelhouse to do so - I even drove the boat. All of the kids got a complimentary stuffed animal - Isabelle picked the wolf. It was great fun, awesome scenery and a great view of the totem park from the water. I have a few pics from 2011 on my pre-trippie if you want to have a look.

Oh I'm so glad you got everything you wanted :)
We are doing the Palo brunch on the last sea day as well!
We're also on the 7:15am White Pass Train, but we are doing the Trail Camp on the way back down as we are going to be visiting the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver and we are trying not to double up with so many interesting things to choose from
We are going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and I can't tell you how excited we are about that :)
And finally - an 11am PAT
My spreadsheet is nearly complete !!

Sounds like there will be a few of us on that train, that's the one we'll be on as well! As I said to my hubby, I will be there with a travel mug FULL of coffee, and a purse full of distractions for the 3 year olds. If they manage to stay awake on the rocking train. ;)

Once everyone has made their plans we should make a page with excursion times and who is doing them, so we know who we'll be bumping in to :thumbsup2

We're doing the 7:15 white pass and suspension bridge in Skagway, the 8 am whale watching and mendenhall glacier in Juneau and just shopping in Ketchikan.

Somewhat unrelated, but being that many of us have growing kids and coats are hard to come by in the summer, I have discovered that ebay has a wealth of "Alaska gear!" I got Isabelle at puffy hooded jacket for $16, including shipping. And it fits! lol Of course now I need to get her a new semi-formal dress, because her Easter dress (which I was planning to re-use) is almost up to her knees - we tried it on today. Oops. She just keeps GROWING. Anyone else have that problem? :rotfl: I guess I can hit the after Easter sales next week...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter