June 17 Wonder to Alaska

Dixieland Mom said:
Hi Everyone!
We will be on the Wonder for this cruise and are really excited about it. We've cruised several times before, but this is our first time on Disney.
We loved Disney World and Disneyland so I'm positive this is going to be awesome!
There will be the 2 of us, Roger & Marie and my DS who is 16 and my DD who will be 15 in May.
Looking forward to seeing everyone onboard. I am wondering if there will be a good number of teens on board. I'm hoping there are. :)

Welcome aboard !!
Not long until we will all be in a double digit countdown :)

Oh my, I hadn't realised

IT'S DOUBLE DIGIT DAY EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Time is going to fly now :)

Time is already flying! :cool1:

Anyone know what time things open in Skagway and Juneau, since we dock early early early? I'm looking at excursion times and figuring out if it's worth heading out to the train at 7:15 with two toddlers just so we can get some shopping in later, or if we can manage to squeeze it (PLUS lunch) in before a noon departure time.

Of course, by the time everyone else in our party can book, we may no longer have a choice of times....stinks to be Gold when no one else travelling with you is! Though I did book my spa treatment. Priorities.

Time is already flying! :cool1:

Anyone know what time things open in Skagway and Juneau, since we dock early early early? I'm looking at excursion times and figuring out if it's worth heading out to the train at 7:15 with two toddlers just so we can get some shopping in later, or if we can manage to squeeze it (PLUS lunch) in before a noon departure time.

Of course, by the time everyone else in our party can book, we may no longer have a choice of times....stinks to be Gold when no one else travelling with you is! Though I did book my spa treatment. Priorities.

Woohoo double digit dance everyone!!! :cool1: 99 days :cheer2:

Great question you've asked about when things open! We are leaning on choosing the morning departure for the Skagway White Pass Rail and Suspension Bridge excursion. Hopefully we won't get back too late and can then head back out and check out the local sites.

I can't wait wait to check in and book next week!! :thumbsup2

I found the three of us Northface rain (waterproof) jackets on sale and they should be arriving soon. Woohoo!

Heather

Oh my goodness! Double digits!! Eeeeeee!!! I love how our little group is growing as we get closer!! :)

Was wondering if some of you could provide some insight on excursion tipping. Let's say an excursion costs $350 per person. How much do you tip per person?

We're getting so excited! It will be here before we know it!

Was wondering if some of you could provide some insight on excursion tipping. Let's say an excursion costs $350 per person. How much do you tip per person?

Great question!! I'd love to know what people suggest as well. I'm sure some excursions might not have as much interaction and other ones the guides probably provide a lot of value to the experience! :yay:

Heather

Hello everyone :goodvibes

Anyone else going crazy, waiting for the Silver CC booking windown to open?

I so want to get everything locked down for this trip, I mean I have italics on my spreadsheet at the moment ;)

Roll on the 19th of March, even though I am going to have to log in at 4am in the UK :eek:

Have a great day all

Lx

I so want to get everything locked down for this trip, I mean I have italics on my spreadsheet at the moment ;)

Roll on the 19th of March, even though I am going to have to log in at 4am in the UK :eek:

Have a great day all

Lx

Yes!! ME :) :yay: I'll be up at midnight checking us in and choosing the excursion we'd like. I'm on the fence about Palo and when to book it. I hear the Tracy Arm day is a nice day but I'm afraid I might miss something and then DS will be in the club. I'm thinking in the morning we won't be seeing too much - but still on the fence about it.

Anything you're really excited to lock in?

Heather

Yes, MEEEE! I can't book anything until the rest of our party can book, and they are NEWBIES!!!
*sigh*
First world problems. :thumbsup2

Yes!! ME :) :yay: I'll be up at midnight checking us in and choosing the excursion we'd like. I'm on the fence about Palo and when to book it. I hear the Tracy Arm day is a nice day but I'm afraid I might miss something and then DS will be in the club. I'm thinking in the morning we won't be seeing too much - but still on the fence about it.

We'll be out of the glacier viewing area by dinnertime. From what I recall from 2011, the main glacier viewing time was right in the middle of my daughter's nap (she traditionally naps around noonish)....lol....we were standing on our balcony watching the ice go by, and our friends came down to join us. We took turns checking in on her while she slept. After she woke up we went up on deck for a bit, and we were turning around at the glacier. That was prime seal viewing time, she was very excited about that. We were well clear of the glacier itself by dinnertime, and we were on the early dinner rotation.

And just because I can't rely on my own memory, I double checked this with one of our sailing buddies who checked the timestamps on her photos...the majority took place between 2ish and 6. So there you go!

We actually DID book Palo that night at 6:30. I think we'll be well clear of the glacier by then, probably just heading back out of the fjord. In fact, it would be a stunning exit viewed from Palo!

Yes, MEEEE! I can't book anything until the rest of our party can book, and they are NEWBIES!!!
*sigh*
First world problems. :thumbsup2

We'll be out of the glacier viewing area by dinnertime. From what I recall from 2011, the main glacier viewing time was right in the middle of my daughter's nap (she traditionally naps around noonish)....lol....we were standing on our balcony watching the ice go by, and our friends came down to join us. We took turns checking in on her while she slept. After she woke up we went up on deck for a bit, and we were turning around at the glacier. That was prime seal viewing time, she was very excited about that. We were well clear of the glacier itself by dinnertime, and we were on the early dinner rotation.

And just because I can't rely on my own memory, I double checked this with one of our sailing buddies who checked the timestamps on her photos...the majority took place between 2ish and 6. So there you go!

We actually DID book Palo that night at 6:30. I think we'll be well clear of the glacier by then, probably just heading back out of the fjord. In fact, it would be a stunning exit viewed from Palo!

Thanks for the info and how nice of you to even double check the timing :) :hug:

If we do Palo we lean towards brunch so not sure if that makes it easier. With our DS being an only child we actually enjoy our dinner times together and he loves the eating in the dining rooms.

Getting closer to check in day!! :banana:

Heather

I would tip $45 per person for an excursion that cost $350 per person if it was exceptional service by the tour guide I'd take it up to a minimum of $65 per person tip.
(I waitressed for many years in my younger days, so I usually try to tip very well for good service. )

Dixieland Mom said:
I would tip $45 per person for an excursion that cost $350 per person if it was exceptional service by the tour guide I'd take it up to a minimum of $65 per person tip.
(I waitressed for many years in my younger days, so I usually try to tip very well for good service. )

That seems pretty high to me. For a family of four on, for example, a helicopter tour the pilot gets $180. But that same family on a much longer bus tour, the bus driver gets maybe $40? I don't think you can use the cost of the excursion as the basis for your tip because there are other factors besides the guide in the price: expensive equipment, jet fuel, etc.

I generally tip $10-20 per person for excellent service on a medium length tour (a few hours).

Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.

Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning. :hyper2:

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula :wave2: my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!

ScottFamily2005 said:
Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning. :hyper2:

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula :wave2: my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!

Hi Paula and welcome aboard!

Not long now until we can all be relaxing on the Wonder :)

I'm sure others are better placed to answer than me (I've only done two cruises previously) but from what I can gather the Palo Brunch books up quickly so you should probably try and grab that first. If its fully booked, don't worry, DCL keeps many of the slots open for people to book whilst on-board.
When you pick up your navigator at the terminal, it will tell you where to head to make any dining reservations or changes so you could head there straight away and try to get a reservation that way

We've had second seating on both of cruises and loved it, I hate to feel like we are having to rush to dinner, especially if we've been on an excursion

The spa villa sounds like it would be heavenly :)

I'm sure others will chip in with more hints and tips but it's great to have you here!

DillWaters said:
Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.

Ooh sounds interesting - sadly I'm not concierge so can't help :(

Linda67 said:
Ooh sounds interesting - sadly I'm not concierge so can't help :(

It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter