January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part I !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think going to DTD to shop on New Year's Eve would be absolute madness?

Oh boy, I don't know! Maybe not, if you stay out of Pleasure Island. A lot of people will probably be going to the night clubs. Wait, when are those supposed to be closing? I forget if it's this fall or the beginning of 2009. Either way, being at DTD when it is crowded is better than being at a park when it is crowded!
I know that Pop Warner is the beginning of December, don't know about the others.

I sure hope there aren't crowds of rowdy teenagers at the All Stars! :rotfl:

Do you know if any of the Pop Warner, cheerleading, or football stuff is going on in January? I was thinking that stuff happens in either Dec or Jan. . .

I got this info from the the cheerleading/dance link about a month ago...

1/16-1/18= Cheer/Dance
1/30-2/1= Dance competition
2/7-2/8= cheerleading
2/13-2/16= cheerleading
2/28-3/1= cheerleading
3/6-3/8= cheerleading
3/14-3/15= cheerleading
and of course there's marathon weekend and MLK holiday in Jan and the super bowl and Mardi Gras in Feb

I can't find the link to the website :mad: I got it from a different thread on the DIS though and wrote it all down and put it in my trusty WDW tote bag:laughing:

Shelly..

Are there any Dis meets in the makings? I've never done that, always thought it would be fun though. I do look for LGMH while were at WDW :rotfl: Anyone actually done one?

Oh boy, I don't know! Maybe not, if you stay out of Pleasure Island. A lot of people will probably be going to the night clubs. Wait, when are those supposed to be closing? I forget if it's this fall or the beginning of 2009. Either way, being at DTD when it is crowded is better than being at a park when it is crowded!

Yeah I believe they are closing 9/27

We plan on taking a January trip too. Possibly the last week in Jan. (1/24-1/30). :cheer2:

We are a little worried as to when the Superbowl crowds might appear. :confused:

I got this info from the the cheerleading/dance link about a month ago...

1/16-1/18= Cheer/Dance
1/30-2/1= Dance competition
2/7-2/8= cheerleading
2/13-2/16= cheerleading
2/28-3/1= cheerleading
3/6-3/8= cheerleading
3/14-3/15= cheerleading
and of course there's marathon weekend and MLK holiday in Jan and the super bowl and Mardi Gras in Feb

I can't find the link to the website :mad: I got it from a different thread on the DIS though and wrote it all down and put it in my trusty WDW tote bag:laughing:

Thanks for posting that! Looks like I will miss those dates! I'm glad because I know groups like that usually stay at the values.

Shelly..

Are there any Dis meets in the makings? I've never done that, always thought it would be fun though. I do look for LGMH while were at WDW :rotfl: Anyone actually done one?

I don't know. . . I've never actually done a big DIS meet. But in May I met up with 2 other DISers for lunch, there were 9 of us, 3 DISers and their families! It was pretty neat to finally meet people that you had been chatting with for over a year!

I have never seen a LGMH at WDW! :confused3

I am up for a Snowbird meet in January if anyone is interested during my dates! In May we all had TS ADR's for the same time, but then decided to cancel and just meet up at a CS, so we met at WPE at DTD. It worked out well! We all posted pictures before we left so that we'd recognize each other.

We plan on taking a January trip too. Possibly the last week in Jan. (1/24-1/30). :cheer2:

We are a little worried as to when the Superbowl crowds might appear. :confused:

Welcome!

I think they are only expecting SB crowds over the weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon.

January Snowbirds! :cool1:

Towers5 ~ Dec 28-Jan 9 ???
Ccfmioa ~ Dec 30-Jan 8 ASMo
Maplemouse ~ Jan 1-5 ???
Tink1978 ~ Jan 1-7 POFQ
Laumau ~ Jan 1-7 WL
4girls2sets ~ Jan 2-9 SOG
Miabellarose ~ Jan 3-11 ASMu
Ehm1129 ~ Jan 5-16 ASMo
Kaos928 ~ Jan 6-12 POP/POR
Kiteri ~ Jan 16-24 FW
Sixisenough ~ Jan 17-24 AKL
Jenkh ~ Jan 17-31 BWV/AKV
Splashmtncrew ~ Jan 18-24 WL
Momof2disneyboys ~ Jan 21-27 ASMo
Trixiequilts ~ Jan 21-28 AKL
MickeyNicki ~ Jan 22-26 Poly
Jnykly ~ Jan 24-30 ???
Remmy ~ Jan 25-Feb 7 POP
Cinderellamom123 ~ Jan ???
Tinkerbelluk ~ Jan ???
Ppan77 ~ Jan ???

Hi
We are coming back to the greatest place on earth January 16-25! I am trying to determine the hotel soon! We are thinking Pop or maybe try a moderate and go with POR ??? We usually stay at the All Stars. I know last January I received an email for AP rates at $49 for the values. That is hard to pass up!!
Just finishing up our dining schedule, it would be easier if the January park hours were out!!

We would just stay in the shopping part- no interest in the clubs or shows. We're staying in a hotel on Parkway Blvd that night.

Just booked today! 10 nights at AKL in January. We just got back from our very first Disney trip last month and had such a great time that we booked again!

Just booked today! 10 nights at AKL in January. We just got back from our very first Disney trip last month and had such a great time that we booked again!

Your boys are adorable- I guess you'll have #3 with you when you go again.

Glad to hear you had such a good time!

Here are our plans for our trip:

We're driving from home, leaving on Dec. 29, so we'll have our own car, then DH and the "baby" (who turns 4 in Oct) will drive home and I'll fly with the older ones so they can get back to school by Jan. 8.

Leave on Dec. 29 and drive to Pensacola. Spend Dec. 30 (my birthday) in Pensacola. Leave Dec. 31 and drive to Orlando and stay in hotel in Kissimmee.

Arrive on Jan. 1- drive straight to Epcot from hotel outside Orlando. Do Future World, eat lunch, then check in to Wilderness Lodge. Take boat to Contemporary- dinner at Chef Mickey's at 5:45, perhaps take monorail to Magic Kingdom- maybe see Wishes if not too crowded and late?

Jan 2- Animal Kingdom, early dinner at Boma, 4pm, then drive to DTD for shopping. *and ice cream at Ghiradelli's!* :laughing:

Jan. 3- Sleep in and spend morning at resort. Go to Epcot at lunchtime, do World Showcase, dinner at Askershus, 4:55pm, maybe see IllumiNations if not too late.

Jan. 4- Go to Studios, dinner at Mama Melrose, Fantasmic package.

Jan 5- Magic Kingdom, dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern (no more character dinners! :sad1: ) might cancel this one if we're too tired.

Jan 6- Magic Kingdom, back to resort early-ish, kids to Cubs Den so we can have adult night at Artist Point, 6:30.

Jan 7- Check out of WL, load car, Breakfast at Crystal Palace, 9:30, spend some time in MK, leave by 1pm, flight leaves at 3pm.

We've never been there before so I don't know how much endurance we'll have in the parks and so forth- so all is subject to change depending on mood, etc. We also may end up splitting the family if the older ones want some extra time in the Studios, for example, if they had late EMH's one night.

Right now I'm anxiously awaiting Disney's putting the packages up for sale for 2009 so we can buy our park hoppers and dining plan. Also looking forward to the park hours coming out. We may or may not take advantage of the EMH's.

What do you experience DIS'ers think of these?

Your boys are adorable- I guess you'll have #3 with you when you go again.

Glad to hear you had such a good time!

thanks! Yes our newest little guy will be just 6 weeks when we go. He'll be strapped to me most of the time :)

thanks! Yes our newest little guy will be just 6 weeks when we go. He'll be strapped to me most of the time :)

That's actually a pretty easy age- have baby, will travel- especially when it's your third one. I'd take that age over 18 months old any day of the week! :lmao:

Here are our plans for our trip:

We're driving from home, leaving on Dec. 29, so we'll have our own car, then DH and the "baby" (who turns 4 in Oct) will drive home and I'll fly with the older ones so they can get back to school by Jan. 8.

Leave on Dec. 29 and drive to Pensacola. Spend Dec. 30 (my birthday) in Pensacola. Leave Dec. 31 and drive to Orlando and stay in hotel in Kissimmee.

Arrive on Jan. 1- drive straight to Epcot from hotel outside Orlando. Do Future World, eat lunch, then check in to Wilderness Lodge. Take boat to Contemporary- dinner at Chef Mickey's at 5:45, perhaps take monorail to Magic Kingdom- maybe see Wishes if not too crowded and late?

Jan 2- Animal Kingdom, early dinner at Boma, 4pm, then drive to DTD for shopping. *and ice cream at Ghiradelli's!* :laughing:

Jan. 3- Sleep in and spend morning at resort. Go to Epcot at lunchtime, do World Showcase, dinner at Askershus, 4:55pm, maybe see IllumiNations if not too late.

Jan. 4- Go to Studios, dinner at Mama Melrose, Fantasmic package.

Jan 5- Magic Kingdom, dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern (no more character dinners! :sad1: ) might cancel this one if we're too tired.

Jan 6- Magic Kingdom, back to resort early-ish, kids to Cubs Den so we can have adult night at Artist Point, 6:30.

Jan 7- Check out of WL, load car, Breakfast at Crystal Palace, 9:30, spend some time in MK, leave by 1pm, flight leaves at 3pm.

We've never been there before so I don't know how much endurance we'll have in the parks and so forth- so all is subject to change depending on mood, etc. We also may end up splitting the family if the older ones want some extra time in the Studios, for example, if they had late EMH's one night.

Right now I'm anxiously awaiting Disney's putting the packages up for sale for 2009 so we can buy our park hoppers and dining plan. Also looking forward to the park hours coming out. We may or may not take advantage of the EMH's.

What do you experience DIS'ers think of these?

I just want to say that we loved Liberty Tree Tavern and breakfast at Crystal Palace. Both really great!

I too am having second thoughts on booking early. I too wonder if more deals will come our way if the majority of the people wait. I received an email from our travel agent with the advice found here on the DIS and she agrees to book room only then upgrade to the package of our choice later if they are of good value.

I am also wondering if there will be a Pirate and Princess party this coming January or February when we are there. We have seen some pictures and web video on it and it looks like a blast. I especially like how they have sold it this year, as only being offered at specific times, so you keep coming back at different seasons to experience all sides of Disney.

To Shelly, Thank you so much for keeping us all motivated and keeping a running total on who is all coming and when.

To Laumau and your dinner reservations on the 5 of January. If you are wanting to see the characters, then I would book elsewhere and maybe a breakfast, or at another park-Epcot (if you have a park hoper-Garden Grill is excellent in my opinion), or at 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian. If it is for the food your are booking, or since you will be at Magic Kingdom and don't wish to go elsewhere, then I suggest keeping it the way you have it.

To sixisenough-you asked about the Fort. If you mean Fort Wilderness, we stayed there with extended family in February 2006. It was kept very clean and well laid out. We were in loop 1400 and very convenient to everything. If possible stay in that loop as it is very close to where the campfire with Chip and Dale and movie night is and Meadow Trading Post. In my opinion that was the better of the two there at that time. We also could walk up to the boat launch for Magic Kingdom, we loved that option.

You also mentioned bad bus service at the Pop. May I please inquire what your problems were. In the many guide books and on various sites, it should have been the best of all values for the buses as they don't share. That is one of the major reasons we were considering it. We have heard from friends who have been at All Stars and the above, there is much wait time to go to the other resorts to load up and drop off. I am not saying that is always the case, but just from what I have read and heard. I am curious at your reasons, if you don't mind sharing as I have time to change.

Thanks Remmy

We are going Jan 16 to the 26th 2009!!!
Me,DH, DD and DM/Dnana will be going and we have reserved ASMo again! We really enjoyed it here in Jan 2007!
We have our flight booked and we get in early on the 16th! WooHoo - we can hit a park!
We have our plan, which seems to change when we hear rumours!

We would like to do the DlxDP as there are so many TS restaurants we want to try, when we did the basic DDP we did find we were paying OOP, which I want to avoid. I also found our TS ADR allowed us to the table quickly and we got pout in good time, just as quick as a CS. With a bonus of better food and down time to enjoy what we have just experienced.(maybe I am just trying to convince myself, DH and DM are convinced)

We booked the time as it is the same (only extended) stay of our 2007 trip. MLK was fine, no true difference in crowd levels. There was a Cheerleader competition there that weekend as well at the ASSp. We only saw these girls at the airport! We did find the food court at the all stars busy this time of year with tour groups during breakfast hours (never ate lunch or dinner there). So we are hoping to use our DlxDP to move out of the food court breakfast.

So I look forward to other plans and ideas!

To Laumau and your dinner reservations on the 5 of January. If you are wanting to see the characters, then I would book elsewhere and maybe a breakfast, or at another park-Epcot (if you have a park hoper-Garden Grill is excellent in my opinion), or at 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian. If it is for the food your are booking, or since you will be at Magic Kingdom and don't wish to go elsewhere, then I suggest keeping it the way you have it.

Thanks for the advice! It's funny because when I originally thought to book LTT I was doing so on the advice of my neighbor and didn't even know it was a character dinner then was excited when I found out it was, then disappointed when I found out it wasn't. :rotfl:

1900 Park Fare is a good idea- I'll think about that since it's close to MK and our resort, WL. We will be the MK that day, so might just keep LTT anyways. It sounds like kind of a neat restaurant, and we'll be having other character meals. The last day of characters there is actually Jan. 4- don't know if I feel like switching days- really wanted to be in MK on the presumably less busy day of Jan. 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter