It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! [Update 4/11: Link to TR!]

Experiencing Disney with DBF - Part III

IMG_2757-1.jpg

7. Get the free photo from Disney Visa at Epcot

I've seen these pictures before on other people's TRs, but it never applied to me because my family doesn't have the Disney Visa. I was reading about Photopass this morning when I saw it and remembered that DBF has one! That means we can get the free 5x7 photo! That's pretty awesome! Of course, that means I have to take a picture with characters, and well, I'm not that fond of characters. But for the free photo, I'll deal with it. Haha, that is, if Weird wants me in the photo. Maybe he just wants one of himself to commemorate the trip, hehe.

8. Get a picture in the stationary Dumbo by the ride

Weird was telling me about the ride he took as a child with his father. He said that they didn't know that you could push the button to make Dumbo fly so they just went around and around low to the ground! I had an experience with Dumbo as a kid. I was wearing my pink Osh Kosh B'Gosh cap (my mom's favorite hat for me; she still has it saved) and once we got into the air, it flew off my head! The CM let me dad run in to get it, which is interesting as I think about it now. Wouldn't they have waited for the ride to finish instead of letting someone in?

Anyway, Weird said, "Speaking of Dumbo, can we ride it the right way when we go?" However, knowing that it's one of those rides that the parents with little kids rush to first thing in the morning to avoid crazy long lines, I said that it wouldn't make sense to do that. Plus, I don't know how well I would take carnival-like rides that go in circles. Besides, if I were to go on one of those, I've read better reviews about the Aladdin ride! We'll go on Dumbo when we have our kiddies. Weird so cutely said that he didn't know that. He has much to learn! I'm so glad we're going together!

So since we're not riding the actual ride, I'd like to get a photo in the stationary Dumbo! I actually never saw it, probably because we pass by the ride without giving it a second glance. Gotta pay attention to the details this time!

9. Marvel at the fog curtain that has Davy Jones on it

On Sunday, we were discussing this, and for some odd reason, we couldn't remember Davy Jones's name! We were convinced that it WASN'T Davy Jones. Weird kept going, "Davy Jones's locker ... ?" Anyway, knowing the real name of "Octopus Man" (haha, that was my name for him) didn't change the fact that riding POTC will be incredibly fun. Weird didn't know that there was a drop, but if he's riding Splash Mountain, POTC is absolutely nothing. He hasn't ridden it in ages so he doesn't remember it much at all. Plus, with all the new additions, it'll be like a completely new ride for him!

I think the ride's one of the best themed in MK, but it's funny that we both HATED the POTC game in VMK. I hated it even more because I could never fire my cannons correctly! I'd stop my boat and then I'd click to fire. The cannons would either fire from the wrong side or I'd start making my boat move again. Or better yet, I'd be out of cannons! That was one of the games I never mastered.

Anyway, Weird is much nerdier than I am, so if I was amazed at the projection of Davy Jones, I know that he definitely will be.

10. Record the moment when Weird tastes Beverly

This won't be a surprise for him since he knows about it already. I don't think his reaction is going to be that funny though only because we're not as put off by bitter things as most people. He's used to bitter things even more so because his family always cooks Chinese bitter melon. A better recording that I should post would actually be his tasting of Buckley's cough suppressant! When I had a throat infection and laryngitis a few weeks ago, I finally took Buckley's when he was over the house keeping me company. To make things better, he said he would taste it so he did! I don't think Beverly is at all as bad as Buckley's! I took it a few more times after it over the next few days so after the fact, it's really not as bad. Even so, tasting Beverly is like a DISer experience. This is a definite must-do!

YAY!!! Weird is going! I look forward to hearing about the two of you actually getting through this to do list you are putting together here.

YAY!!! Weird is going! I look forward to hearing about the two of you actually getting through this to do list you are putting together here.

Weird and I saw each other today so it was the first time seeing each other in person since he decided that he was definitely going (a bridge separates us so and with work and whatnot, we can only see each other on the weekends). It was so exciting because during lunch, we started listing all the things that we want to do! We're beyond thrilled! We even started talking about the TR! Can't wait to share our fun!

It All Comes Back to Disney
Incorporating Disney In My Lesson Plans

One of the things I'm looking forward to doing is taking pictures of all the things that can be used to teach in my classes. I've started to compile a list because as I'm rereading my Disney books, I go, "Hey! I'm teaching that in class!" Even if things aren't necessary related to Disney, I find a way to sneak it in. Here's the latest incorporation in a lesson about adding decimals:

Me: As you can see in the Aim, today we're going to learn about adding decimals. But before I get into that, I want to tell you a story.

Students: YAY! (Haha, they thought that I was going off on a tangent ... oh dear children, school's for learning even if it means disguising it as fun!)

Me: This past Saturday, I went to the Disney Store at the mall because, well, what else is there to do on a Saturday? I was browsing through the store and saw that they were having a special on those little stuffed beanbag characters. I saw Lumpy, and I think he's so cute so I wanted to buy one.

Students: Who's Lumpy?

Me: The Heffalump?!? How do you not know Lumpy?!? (What are they teaching children these days?!? Oh wait, I should ask myself that question ...) He's from Winnie the Pooh. Anyway, they were having a sale so I was able to get 2 for $6.25 so I got one for me and one for my mom.

[At this point, I wrote 6.25 on the board.]

Me: Then I turned around and saw that they had this big Pooh dressed in winter gear ...

One particular boy: Hehe, big poo!

Me: Yeah. Okay. So they had this big Pooh bear dressed in winter gear, and I wanted to buy it for this little boy at church. It was $15 so it was more expensive, but I still wanted to get it.

[I then wrote 15 on the board so that the numbers lined up under the 25 of 6.25. I was surprised no one corrected me at this point ...]

Me: So I was taking my items to the cash register, but you know how they have that spinny rack by the counter? I saw that they had a little crown, and I think that I deserve a crown because all girls are princesses. It was only $4 so that was even better!

[I wrote 4 on the board so that it lined up under the 5 of 15 and the 5 of 6.25]

Me: I put all my items on the register and I was ready to pay with a $10 bill.

[I added the 3 prices on the board and came up with $6.44. STILL no one corrected me. Never mind the fact that one item was $15 on its own and I was planning to pay with only $10!]

Me: The lady at the register told me that I didn't have enough money! I was so devastated that I ran out of the store crying. I don't get it! What did I do wrong?

Students [all raising their hands and jumping out of their seats]: You put the numbers in the wrong spot! You have to line up your decimals!

Me: OHHHH!!! No wonder why it was wrong!

[I did the math correctly on the board by lining up the decimals and using "zero fillers." I paused to examine the work and pretended as if I truly understood it now since I hadn't before. Then I turned to them and said ...]

Me: So why don't YOU do that?"

Hehe, my students were ashamed after that, and they were like, "Oooo ..." I explained that when they did their math summer assignments or the pre-course assessment, some of them didn't line up the decimals. Hopefully, they will remember from now on!

Two students were absent on that day, and I told the Cliff Notes version of it the day after. The ones who heard it the first time were jumping out of their seats saying, "Can I tell the story?!?" I replied, "Nope. It's my story!"

Best part about telling these stories is that I get to be all dramatic (haha, like when I ran out of the store wailing, I made the most wretched looking expression!). Sometimes I wonder if it's too much because after the story, I had about 3 students ask me, "Did that really happen?"

Hahaha I love that math story about the Disney Store! It's like you insulted all of them at once :D And you know how big of a fan I am of that ;)

I love disney teachable moments!

Hahaha I love that math story about the Disney Store! It's like you insulted all of them at once :D And you know how big of a fan I am of that ;)

After telling that story, I have heard this every single day since ... "Lumpy is a Heffalump!" I don't know why they get such a kick out of the fact that he's a Heffalump. If it helps them remember the rule for adding decimals, then I'll take it. I'm going to convert my students into Disney fanatics :thumbsup2

Comic Howard and Rae: Our First Disney "Pictures"

In August 2007, Weird had to get a lovely colonoscopy. He liked me even then so he had to get the same test and the same disease that I have, haha. To give him something to "look forward to" as he did the prep by drinking a ton of that nasty liquid. Because I knew how torturous it was, I prepared a make believe scrapbook of our adventures at WDW. I'm not a Photoshop person or anything like that ... this was done using Microsoft Powerpoint and Paint!

I had a lot of fun making it and figured it would be appropriate to post here! Once April rolls around, we'll actually have REAL pictures to post!

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

That's it for today! My computer gets a little angry when I have too many tabs open in my browser. Can't help it; I need some HSM3 music to get me through my lesson plans!

Comic Howard and Rae: Our First Disney "Pictures" (continued)

More make-believe scrapbook pages! Every time I look at these pictures, I get excited thinking about the fact that in April, Weird and I will really be there together!

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

I say we print out copies of this scrapbook and take exactly the same pictures with the real us in it!

I know we're gonna have so many pictures. Maybe a year's worth of Facebook pictures! :D

I say we print out copies of this scrapbook and take exactly the same pictures with the real us in it!

I know we're gonna have so many pictures. Maybe a year's worth of Facebook pictures! :D

We'll definitely have plenty of pictures to make a real scrapbook! I always wanted to do it (or even digitally) but never did because there aren't enough pictures. This'll be greattt. Looking forward to it!!!

More make-believe scrapbook pages with references to VMK. I think that we can definitely make a real scrapbook after April because both of us will be taking tons of pictures. We're also discussing the possibility of using PhotoPass, but it may not happen just because we don't have money. It might be nice to have the option, see how many good pictures we could get out of it.

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

In real life, I don't know if I will be able to handle riding Expedition Everest! I think I'm too much of a chicken because I have heard that some people get dizzy going backwards. I wouldn't want to ruin my trip if I felt sick after a ride.

j.jpg

Hall of Presidents really is the best place for a nap especially when it's warm out. An AC-ed theater is so welcoming!

k.jpg

Haha, yes, I know people don't actually go up to that part of the mansion, but it was the easiest place to put us!

l.jpg

Even though I kept my eyes open the ENTIRE ride for the first time in my life the last time I rode it, I'm still kind of scared. I think I'll need Weird to hold my hand tightly!

m.jpg

When I initially made these pictures, I used this one because it was a good and empty. I didn't know where this fountain even was! When I saw it in real life later on, I was so excited!

n.jpg

Weird is OBSESSED with Cars!

o.jpg

We really are going to have a friendly battle on this ride! I think that once I show Weird all the high target points, he's going to crush me.

p.jpg

So sad it's over! Last fake scrapbook page!

q.jpg

I'm really going to try to stay on top of this! I'm still reading!

I love all the scrapbook pages! They're really creative and you did a great job putting the characters in!

I hope the planning is going well!

Oh, and I totally saw something I want to get you and Weird! I saw it and I thought of the two of you immediately. If they come in stock soon, you just might get it! ;)

haha, love your pictures. :laughing:

Thanks! Haha, as I look back at them now, I wonder how in the world I had so much time to do something like that! Of course, I did have the version of PowerPoint that I knew how to use very well. PPT and Paint are definitely my friends! Nowadays, I don't have much time or patience! I use it all up with my students during the day!

I love all the scrapbook pages! They're really creative and you did a great job putting the characters in!

Oh, and I totally saw something I want to get you and Weird! I saw it and I thought of the two of you immediately. If they come in stock soon, you just might get it! ;)

Thanks for reading, irky! Now I'm curious as to what reminded you of Weird and me! Huh, that sounds grammatically incorrect or just awkwardly constructed. Ahhh, it's 8:35pm, and I'm too tired to reword that. What kind of person is exhausted at 8:35? Oh, I'm sure you know and understand ... a teacher!

Flashback 2008 - We Found Nemo!

After spending some time checking out the amazing designs for t-shirts, journals, and scrapbook pages on the DISign board, I was inspired to be a little creative with the memories from my 2008 TR. I know they're not as great as the ones that are in that section, but I really don't know much about computers. As I said earlier, PowerPoint and Paint are my good friends! That's why I used those 2 programs to create the following page.

TRmemories1.jpg

Maybe if I have time I'll do more pages with older pictures! I think it'll be fun; it'll give me something to do since I think I'm suffering from seasonal affective disorder or seasonal depression. I don't remember feeling this miserable and down in the longest time. It wouldn't be surprising if it's because of the cold weather (I never feel warm; I'll probably warm up when we get to Florida in April ... the cold tends to stay in my body and in my bones for a long time even after winter is over) and the lack of sunlight. I'm just not myself.

Thankfully, DIS is here and I can at least find some sense of relief by clicking around. Anyway, don't mean to leave this on such a serious note so ...

:cheer2:

This is so exciting! The other day, I was helping my sister move some books for her afterschool and I was moving some books when I saw a picture book for some sort of animal. So I took a closer look and I got so scared because it was a picture book for a Californian Condor! I immediately put the cover down so it wasn't staring me in the face but it was already etched into my mind. Then I thought of how it would've been a terrible thing to happen to you! Give me the Looney Tunes condors anyday!

Flashback 2008 - We Found Nemo!

Maybe if I have time I'll do more pages with older pictures! I think it'll be fun; it'll give me something to do since I think I'm suffering from seasonal affective disorder or seasonal depression. I don't remember feeling this miserable and down in the longest time. It wouldn't be surprising if it's because of the cold weather (I never feel warm; I'll probably warm up when we get to Florida in April ... the cold tends to stay in my body and in my bones for a long time even after winter is over) and the lack of sunlight. I'm just not myself.

Thankfully, DIS is here and I can at least find some sense of relief by clicking around. Anyway, don't mean to leave this on such a serious note so ...

:cheer2:

Yes, please go away depression. I miss my Ninja. I'm sending you some mental heat as best as I can! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter