It’s been a long, dry spell, walk me thru cruise boarding now

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
I’ve been reading a lot of conflicting info on the pre-testing procedures required to be completed in order to board a cruise ship. Everything from doing it at the pier to a ‘proctored’ test Online. Not sure I’d be good with that process, confusing.

is their a current link, somewhere-anywhere, that succinctly spells out exactly what options are available to complete the currently required test?

Realize it’s a fluid situation of sorts. However, was hoping maybe we could just have any currently required tests completed at home (somewhere physical vs online) before we leave for FL or in that area two days prior???

I could book a cruise in my sleep before this all started, now, quite nervous about the new procedures. are there any other big hurdles I’m missing as to documents that may be new since the pandemic started?

We were among the 1st cruises cancelled in March, 2020, on RCCL pre Easter trip to WDW (that also went poof). take the pandemic seriously, fully vaxx’d & generally careful with masking, even now in what we consider iffy situations. However, we are not the sorts to be house bound either; especially as the mr was a designated essential worker from the get-go.

Next to last trip over 4th of July to FL, came back with that unexpected souvenir :rolleyes1 Still, it hasn’t deterred us from living our best lives. Fast forward to cautiously starting to look for our first cruise back on RCCL either this winter or spring, especially now that prices seem to be stabilizing.

any hints or suggestions most appreciated!

Since COVID tests for travel are not covered by (many) insurances anymore, we did On Point telehealth proctoring and used the free government tests so it only cost us $14.99/person vs the $100+ a person at Walgreens/CVS. I was nervous about doing the On Point but it worked out really well. Directions are clear and they sent us the results right away by email. Accepted by Royal Caribbean on the cruise we just got off of two days ago. If you really want to do in-person testing, our local immediate care, CVS, and Walgreens all have testing options.

You also will need to fill our a health questionnaire the day before you get on the cruise. Basic questions about health.

Since COVID tests for travel are not covered by (many) insurances anymore, we did On Point telehealth proctoring and used the free government tests so it only cost us $14.99/person vs the $100+ a person at Walgreens/CVS. I was nervous about doing the On Point but it worked out really well. Directions are clear and they sent us the results right away by email. Accepted by Royal Caribbean on the cruise we just got off of two days ago. If you really want to do in-person testing, our local immediate care, CVS, and Walgreens all have testing options.

You also will need to fill our a health questionnaire the day before you get on the cruise. Basic questions about health.
We have used the at home proctored test that you stated you do not care to do for our last 5 cruises this past year. They are very easy and not confusing at all. Takes around 20 minutes and you have both an email copy you can print and a copy sent to your phone. We always take the printed one also because some cruise terminals the WiFi is pretty sketchy and you may not be able to pull it up on the phone. You can order the tests from Optum.com. These are the ones from RCL's email they sent out last July. No testing is required at all for fully vaccinated guests on 5 nights or shorter cruise. Only still required for 6 nights or longer. Also be sure to download the RCL App. you will use that to complete your health questionnaire and also know you complete your muster requirements in the App then once onboard after 12:00 you report to your assigned muster station and show them your completed tasks on your phone and they check your cabin off as completed. Our TA sent us a copy of the latest Covid protocols on August 13th if you would like me to forward her email just PM us your email and we will forward it to you. Happy Cruising!

What DizneyNutz ^^^^ has written.

Since things are still fluid and likely to remain so for some time, simply keep checking with your cruise line of choice.

Since things are still fluid

True. Info here is making it sound less confusing
we did On Point telehealth proctoring and used the free government tests so it only cost us $14.99/person vs the $100+ a person at Walgreens/CVS. I was nervous about doing the On Point but it worked out really well. Directions are clear and they sent us the results right away by email.
We do have a supply of those tests on hand at least. Doesn’t sound too daunting after all

Thanks all

It depends on a number of things, but its really not very complicated, if you're vaccinated.
We just got back from Alaska, and the most annoying part was the day of testing for our unvaccinated child.
If you've ever self-administered a COVID test and done a video chat ever, then doing a virtually proctored test isn't a big deal.
We did it that way for ourselves and our 3 older children.
We had a lot more trouble with our 2 year old's test that had to be in person: wrong name on the test results. My parents also had a problem with their pharmacy test: wrong birth date on the test results).

I wouldn't worry about it, until you actually get closer, because everything will likely change by then.

Here is the official link on Royal Caribbean's site:
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center?icid=hlthys_wrnssn_hlt_nbrdxp_pghdr_3467

Important take aways:
  • Beginning on Cruises departing September 5th, 2022
    • U.S. Cruises that don't stop in Bermuda or Canada
      • For those fully vaccinated (5 years and older):
        • No testing needed for cruises less than 10 nights
      • For unvaccinated (5 years and older):
        • Negative test required within the 3 days prior to boarding.
      • Accepted Tests:
        • PCR or Antigen, can be a professional or self administered home test.
    • U.S. Cruises with stops in Bermuda or Canada
      • Supervised test required within 2 days before sailing
      • Unvaccinated kids 3-11 no more than 3 days before and can't be day of, they will then be tested at the port as well
      • There may be additional requirements for your particular cruise and for some excursions
Given the fluid nature of this, always check the website above for more details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!