Is your state running out of gas?

Bayway is in Linden, which is also the terminus of the pipeline. There are a few other refineries in the area. However, NJ refineries supply about 1/3 of NJ’s gas, the rest heads to New England. The pipeline supplies another 1/3 of gas to NJ.

The pipeline (and NJs refineries) have been shut down before. Bayway lost power and had flooding during Sandy, and the northern part of the pipeline was also shutdown at the same time. Basically the oil companies have a logistical nightmare on their hands and panic buying isn’t helping.

I was thinking more of how the refineries in NJ supply fuel to NYC and Long Island. I found it interesting that New York state doesn’t have a single refinery.

There are other pipelines criss crossing everywhere. But Colonial is the big one. This is going to mess up with supply all over. There aren’t enough trucks or rail tankers to make up for it. I don’t believe most tractors hauling fuel are long haulers. They’re usually short haul tractors without sleeper cabs.

Central Jersey gas stations look normal today….no lines. Price in high $2’s to low $3s for regular.

And that's why there is probably panic. The pipeline hedged if they would be up and running, and if they were, in what capacity. The greatest way to stoke panic is to provide uncertainty, and that's all they and the media have done so far.
So what should they have done? Said "we'll definitely be back at full capacity on <pick a day>"? What happens if they miss it? Then no one will trust them.

North of Atlanta and just checked gas buddy 41 gas stations with 5 miles. Only 6 of them have gas.
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about this--Hubby works in Decatur and we live in Stockbridge--and we have reservations for the Zoo with my Brother and Sister in Law on Sunday. Stupid Col. didn't decide until after people went home yesterday that they would be working from home today because of the gas situation so most of the unit has to go in to pick up their secure laptops anyhow. 🙄

The pipeline closure is news for sure. However, if people just followed their usual buying patterns, and only bought gas when they really need it, we'd likely see spot shortages and not major shortages that we're about to see. People are filling their tanks just to fill their tanks, even if they aren't driving much. It's no different than people having cases of toilet paper in their basement at the beginning of the pandemic.

Eventually, when the pipeline is up and running later this week....and as people with full tanks in cars sitting in driveways no longer feel the panic to fill up, this phenomenon will sort itself out.
When the pipeline is fully reopened, it’s still going to take a little bit of time to get gas to stations. There has been a shortage of tanker truck drivers even before this event. While I agree it will sort itself out, I don’t think this is something that’s going to be quickly resolved by the middle of next week.

I’m going to be honest when I heard about the pipeline shut down over the weekend I went and filled up my gas tank. Now I did not purchase canisters of gas to just have but I wanted to make sure I had a full tank. I do have to drive. I think of it like making sure we have firewood before an ice storm. I take just what we need (I don’t horde) but I’m still going to make sure my family has what it needs.

So what should they have done? Said "we'll definitely be back at full capacity on <pick a day>"? What happens if they miss it? Then no one will trust them.

Probably detailed their plan and the steps they will take to meet it, and what they are doing to mitigate in the interim and what they will do if their plan slips. And what's the backup plan if it all goes south...and then the backup to that backup...

Anything more than "well, we don't know" - about everything.

People like plans...they like concrete steps being taken...they like certainty in anything.

But, as has been told in this thread, it's the PEOPLE panicking that's causing gas shortages even in places not affected by this. And funny, you complained about the "media" adding to the problem, but then post a link to a media site.

So, people know where it's just panic and where it's panic plus problem. Losing 45% is not sustainable after a few days anywhere, with or without panic.

Here's a map on the pipeline - you can see what areas will stay fine (like Florida - it's not on it) and what may be highly problematic...

https://www.wlox.com/2021/05/12/che...tion-still-shipping-out-fuel-ms-gas-stations/
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s fine because there’s still a run and there will be a huge demand to get fuel to different areas normally served by Colonial. A lot of fuel isn’t actually moved long distances but is effectively traded as a fungible commodity and moved short distances. But they do move a lot of fuel through this pipeline.

And the Governor of Florida declared a state of emergency, which I suppose would make it possible to punish price gouging.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...f-emergency-due-to-colonial-pipeline-shutdown

I don’t remember if it’s a state or federal thing but here in NJ gas stations aren’t allowed to change their prices more than once in any 24 hr period.
https://www.fmanj.org/for-motorists/The companies that supply service station owners can change pricesas often as they wish, while service station owners are only allowed to change the price once in a 24-hour period.

The Chinese Russian North Korean Hackers strike again!

Then the brilliant hoarders step in to make sure it is a problem.

View attachment 574509

American Airlines has started adding fuel stops to some flights out of Charlotte as a way to conserve what jet fuel is available. So that flight from CTL-HNL might actually end up going CTL-DFW-HNL.

Colonial plans to have the pipeline back up and working in less than a week.

Will be enjoying my electric car even more for the next few weeks.
I wasn't paying attention to this and we stopped to get gas yesterday. The station was a little busier than normal but some guy was filling up multiple gas cans. I thought he must mow a lot of lawns! Our governor has come out today and said MD is ok with gas. It could be a problem with these types of hoarding behaviors if they can't get it back online soon.

Last edited:
So, people know where it's just panic and where it's panic plus problem. Losing 45% is not sustainable after a few days anywhere, with or without panic.
Just because an area isn’t directly served by this particular pipeline doesn’t mean there won’t be supply and demand going out of whack. There will be demand to move fuel out of Florida refineries. Also, this pipeline is like a superhighway where it’s connected to other pipelines. Reports are that Florida is heavily dependent on it.
Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee rely on the line for most of their fuel supplies and suffered localized shortages and higher prices during previous shutdowns.​

Just because an area isn’t directly served by this particular pipeline doesn’t mean there won’t be supply and demand going out of whack. There will be demand to move fuel out of Florida refineries. Also, this pipeline is like a superhighway where it’s connected to other pipelines. Reports are that Florida is heavily dependent on it.
Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee rely on the line for most of their fuel supplies and suffered localized shortages and higher prices during previous shutdowns.​

Makes sense to me. You have tankers go to the terminals along the pipeline, pick up fuel, and then drive it to where it's needed. There could be trucks picking up fuel in south Georgia that drive it down to Florida.

Keep in mind truckers. A few weeks ago they were already talking about possible summer shortages of gasoline due to shortage of truckers nationwide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter