Is Year of a Million Dreams Over-rated?

Hi! Just returned. Received a dream to the family of the day at Epcot (posted a full blog about that seperately). Did talk to a family who received the dream fast passes. Saw a group at Magic Kingdom in the afternoon receiving some hand written vouchers for something--don't know what, but saw the "dream squad" name tags and knew that's what was going on. Don't feel it was an "in your face" sort of promotion. Just have to keep in mind "it's great if it happens, and okay if it doesn't." Disney does have so much magic that happens on a daily basis, even before the promotion. Just be open and receptive to it.

I am sure that they are giving out a lot of Wishes but keeping it somewhat low key as the people around the winners might not be as happy that they were not the ones chosen. :confused3

Slightly Goofy (who is very happy she does not have to think up a 'special' occasion for the park every year) :flower3:

I agree that we may not see lots of Dreams being given out because they keep it a bit low key so those who are not recipients don't feel bad. We received Dreams lanyards at Test Track on Jan. 1, and they sent a group of us into the first pre-show room (usually for single riders) and closed the door behind us and then presented everyone in there with the lanyards. People who were just behind us in line and did not make the cut-off into that pre-show room would not have had any idea what was going on and that they just barely missed out on receiving anything. That "just missed out" feeling would definitely not be magical.

I was right Mareed? Could I please have it in writing? My kids would never believe it. My grandkids think I am perfect though. :rotfl2:

I read an article when we were down in FL just before the promotion started and it stated how they planned to deal with the big prizes, quietly, and I am assuming that they have found the same technique to be good for the smaller prizes also.

The article said that many of the prizes were predetermined as who was going to win them i.e. 15th person out of ToT on such and such a date on the right side of the entrance wearing purple. lol

I am guessing that the smaller prizes are a bit more random and at the whim of the Dream Team members. I would love to have that job. :cloud9:

I did enjoy seeing others with their prizes but, even though I hate to admit it, I might feel a bit differently if I had been just before or after them in line. I am human after all. :confused3

Slightly Goofy

Before we went for our late Nov/early December visit we were excited about the YOAMD campaign. My husband and daughter were making their first visit to WDW and that would have been magical enough. After 6 days and 5 nights we received Fast Passes at MK; our daughter won a "Princess Trivia Contest" and received a Magic Moment Certificate; daughter was able to answer questions about PoTC and received a certificate and a treasure from a treasure box (she selected a huge purple gem); daughter was enrolled in Capt. Jack Sparrow's crew and has a certificate to prove it; daughter was selected to learn how to ride a horse at Woody's Roundup; daughter selected to participate in shinanigans at the High School Musical Pep Rally; Queen of Hearts came into a teacup with us for the Teacup ride and then took our family to a dance party with Alice, Lilo & Stitch (BTW - our daughter's favorite characters of ALL TIME) at MVMCP; husband received a pair of Tinkerbell pins... one to keep and one to share. Were each of these moments official YOAMD prizes? No. Was it magical? Absolutely!!!
And what is the result? We are going back in August and staying at POLY for our 10th anniversary! So THAT is my Year of A Million Dream come true.
I love the campaign and feel that it has put a little extra pixie dust on everyone who walks through the entrance.
AND, just today my hubbie signed up with his own user name. The magic continues! :yay:

Just returned home on the 6th from a 6 night stay. Our family did not win anything, either. However, we knew not to expect anything and had a wonderful time just being in the world. We did see numerous people with the dream ears, and tons more with the dream fastpasses. We only saw a few with lanyards. One curious story...While eating at the ABC Commisary, a woman came in the restroom with a dream fastpass around her neck. Another lady in line asked her where she had gotten it. She replied that it came in her vacation package, and that they could be purchased from the giftshop. (?!) I am very sure she was just confused. Perhaps she won it with her package, but why would Disney allow people to purchase fastpasses from a giftshop...I mean, that would totally mess up the whole system. Besides that, we did witness a member of the Dream Squad give a family on Small World a small prize and certificate. I think the way that they are giving out prizes is fine, but it is not very well advertised besides a few mentions on the monorail and such.

After 6 days and 5 nights we received Fast Passes at MK; our daughter won a "Princess Trivia Contest" and received a Magic Moment Certificate; daughter was able to answer questions about PoTC and received a certificate and a treasure from a treasure box (she selected a huge purple gem); daughter was enrolled in Capt. Jack Sparrow's crew and has a certificate to prove it; daughter was selected to learn how to ride a horse at Woody's Roundup; daughter selected to participate in shinanigans at the High School Musical Pep Rally; Queen of Hearts came into a teacup with us for the Teacup ride and then took our family to a dance party with Alice, Lilo & Stitch (BTW - our daughter's favorite characters of ALL TIME) at MVMCP; husband received a pair of Tinkerbell pins... one to keep and one to share. Were each of these moments official YOAMD prizes? No. Was it magical? Absolutely!!!

Pre-YOMD our family has experienced the following special moments on various trips (and many more):

Had cast members give extra trading pins to the kids - too many times to mention.

A CM arranged a special visit from Chip and Dale for my sick daughter.

Had another CM close the Chip and Dale room at Mickey's toon-town, call in a special photographer, and do an extended photo-session with my daughter.

Ridden in the front of the monorail.

Recieved "boat captain" buttons on a ferry boat.

Had a bus driver let my kids sit in the driver's seat and had DH and I take hotos from outside the bus of them "driving".

Been given Mickey cupcakes for participating in entertainment at O'Hana.

Both kids got chances to "steer" a jungle cruise boat on a jungle cruise at different times.

Son was selected to participate in the pirate show, both kids got pirate certificates.

Son was given a bunch of extra VMK cards on his birthday.

Been given special "good anywhere" fastpasses by a CM for no reason.

My point is that most of these hyped up "YOMD Dream Moments" are magical moments that Disney already did, they are just re-labeling them as "prizes".

I don't think I'd be going out on a limb to make the statement that anyone that hasn't won probably feels the promo is over-rated. :rolleyes1

But, it sure is effective: my family wants to take a break from WDW and do something different and I'll I can think is: "No...not until the YOAMD's is over!" Some how, some way I'm gettin' back to the world! :thumbsup2

We were there 10 days in December. We saw a LOT of Dream team members. Their shoulder bags made them hard to miss, and they have neat blue name tags. Our 12 year old guest and I were awarded dream "head of the line" passes to EE, and a tour of the control tower. Then another head of the line ride. We rode front car and back car in quick successon while the line was 50 minuts long! Pretty fun, and they even gave us a certificate when we came out of the control tower.

I also got a small surprise when chosen as one of the folks to come onstage at the bird show. They are considering these YOAMD experiences too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter