Is Year of a Million Dreams Over-rated?

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
I am just curious what others thought. I was there in Oct. and did not win a thing. My friend just came back and did not get anything either. I did not even seen people being approached.
I wonder how many people have won anything.
I guess I was under the impression that you would see people being approached for items alittle more.
I am going in March again so I will keep my fingers crossed.;)

We went in December and only saw YOMD CM's twice. The first time was when we were exiting BTMR. We were coming off the left side track and the people who were on the right track got dream fastpasses. I couldnt believe it because we should have been on that train. The loading CM pulled us to the other train at the last minute!! I only saw them one other time and that was when they were just walking in the park, not handing out anything. Sure wish we could have gotten something, but we will be back in July for a few days and are hoping for some Disney Magic then. I did see a few people with lanyards, Mickey YOMD ears hats and the fastpasses.

I was there in Oct and to be perfectly honest, I was having so much fun celebrating my dd's 13th birthday that I forgot all about the Dream Squads!! But, when I was there in early Dec, my friend and I had severe 'dream envy'...we saw a ton of Dream Squad people out, just wandering around. Saw a lot of people getting dreams also. It seemed that most of the dreams seemed to be going to those traveling as 'families'...I know a lot of the dream giving is pre-ordained so to speak....i.e....go to Dumbo and at 10:18, give the fourth family getting off prize such and such. But, it just seemed that families were getting a ton of stuff. I'm going again in three weeks and then again in August...wonder if any magic will happen then? Who knows...I'm just going to have a good time with my family on those two trips and not worry about any prizes.

We just got back from WDW -- we won the dream fastpasses on Soarin about 10:30 AM on Friday, 1/5. It was very exciting! I didn't see anyone else win anything, though, while there for 10 days.

Well, yes!

Sitting in the middle of the 8th official day of the program, and having not having won anything yet.

And even though the "Castle Guest Room" is not even completed... I think we can all agree that this program is a total washout.

Call the coroner.

Heck, call Gil Grissom!

(And before anyone chimes in with info that it started in October...
those numbers will look just as silly as mine.)

;)

We were there the week before Christmas (16th-23rd) and didn't see anybody giving out anything in any park... :confused3

I never saw the Dream CMs, but did see some people with the dream fast passes, so there are some winners. You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

My family and I won Dream Fast Passes at MGM. It was a pleasant surprise and a nice addition to our scrapbooks. :goodvibes

I'm not too worried about whether I'll get anything or not. I'm always happy just to be there. But maybe since I'm going for my birthday I'll get picked for something. That would really neat. But either way I plan on having a really great vacation :)

Yes,I think it is highly over-rated,but at the same time,every time that I go from now until the end of the promotion there will be in my car a one-night change of clothes just in case I get picked to do the one-night castle stay.

We did not "get" anything, but were given several wonderful, wonderful experiences. At Philharmagic, we (DH, DS, 8, and i) were approached by a CM who had this little story about how the orchestra was delayed and would we perform a song instead. DS thought he was kidding, but we were led over to a set of stairs, given some instruments (cymbals, bongos, stuff like that) to choose from and lead the whole waiting crowd in "Jingle Bells" (it was last month). We got a certificate and had a total blast. DS was asked to be Chef of the Day (I know this isn't new) at breakfast at YC Galley, and again got a special certificate after painting waffle with edible paints that was put on display.

Yes, we saw people getting "stuff," but to be honest, we were delighted with our special experiences.

Over-rated and over-hyped.

Yes. ENOUGH with the hype.

I think Disney should just post copy-machined signs on phone poles with a catchy phrase like, "Disney World in Florida, See It."

Spending money promoting silly events and theme-park attractions like the over-hyped "Soarin'" obviously hasn't paid off up to now.

We need to write a letter to the ad agency responsible for these miserable failures of using expensive network TV spots like "Happiest Celebration on Earth" and save them a lot of money.

Was down there in December and here are my thoughts:

1. Did not receive anything nor did I see anyone receive anything, and I dont think I even saw any YOAMD CM's

2. I did see people with the fastpasses, and some other goodies who had won, so obviously they are giving out the prizes. Also, several times I saw people give away their dream fastpasses to others because they could not use them. Nice to see that.

3. Finally, I was having so much fun that I actually completely forgot about it while I was down there. I also found that it is not really in your face down in the parks, so that its not constantly reminding you, or your kids that you are not winning anything, which I think is good(that is just my opinion).

My family won Dream F.P.'s at MGM in December. I believe that the program is a little overated because people expect to win something. You have to be in the right place at the right time. However, I wish that I could have captured the look on DS,DD, and DW's faces when we won. It was priceless. I hope that whoever goes before the promotion ends wins something to make it magical for their family too.

:woohoo:

Its all about the marketing. A new year a new hype.
I think they should have awards for loyal and frequent visitors and they should be first in line. Maybe through the mail or something - a discount incentive depending on how many visits you made. :thumbsup2

I think the Dream thing is just an extended version of all the small wonderful things that they usually do. I hope they keep up with some of the Dreams after the promotion is all over.:thumbsup2

I saw a few people get a free meal at a special table when we were there. I am sure that they are giving out a lot of Wishes but keeping it somewhat low key as the people around the winners might not be as happy that they were not the ones chosen. :confused3

IMO, that is why we all love Disney so much, they go that extra step.:cloud9:

Slightly Goofy (who is very happy she does not have to think up a 'special' occasion for the park every year) :flower3:

Here are my observations. After 3 trips so far during YOAMD I have only witness the 'in-park' dreams being granted in the a.m. My feelings are that while Disney is giving the guest something extra, they are more accurately giving themselves more control over crowd flow. IE: a guest on a popular ride early in the a.m. will most probably ride all the popular rides. The fast passes that Disney distributes to these guest will now allow the receiver to more leisurely visit the popular rides and spent more money and time in that particular park. Or, if the guest chooses to use all the fast passes immediately, they will vacate the park sooner and move onto other things. The way I see it, for the minimal cost of producing lanyards and staffing extra cm's, Disney will accomplish great strides in crowd control and make huge points in costumer relations. I do feel Disney is a business and this is truly a marketing campaign, with the goal of raising market share. The average Disney guest arrives after 11a.m. and will generally only see a change in slightly lower crowds because of this campaign.I'm not downing the YOAMD, just giving my observations. I think Disney will only realize the true word-of-mouth advertising it needs to sustain this campaign if they scatter the daily promotions over the entire park operating hours. But I'm sure Disney will make up for any lack of enthusiasm when the larger prizes are awarded through the national media stage and excite participation again!! __________________Debbie

You're not going to see them either. They travel exclusively through backstage areas then magically appear on stage then disappear off all in less than 60 seconds. They are literally timed by the manager with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter