Is Tipping Mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneytreasure

Earning My Ears
Hey all! I called Disney to ask this question and the answer wasn't exactly clear. I tried googling around and didn't find much. I just wanted to ask if tipping was mandatory or optional?

I know that if you don't pay tips in cash that they put it on your room statement? I know you can have it removed, but then are you expected to tip in cash? Will anyone confront me if I don't?

This is a very emotive subject and you are likely to have lots of strong opinions on this one.

Tipping is discretionary except at the bars/for alcohol where it is automatically added. That being said the cruise staff are paid based on the basis that they do get tips so it isn't like a person working on land in that sense. They also do a lot more than a server in a normal restuarant or a hotel maid in my opinion.

I'm not sure where you are from which I know can really influence this decision. In the UK we don't really tip anyone unless they are extraordinary and even then its rare (becoming more common though). The cruise is more like in America where tips are expected and factored into the wage system.

As said though it is completely up to the individuals at the end of the day. I have never felt that I didn't want to tip at the end of a cruise as the service has always been exceptional but I know this is something that people need to decide for themselves. No one will confront you or anything.

No one would confront you, but the employees work their rears off for you. And tips are how they are paid, for the most part. It's worse than the states with server minimum wage; they get very very little from the cruise line.

They work their rears off and deserve that money. Please reconsider.

No one would confront you, but the employees work their rears off for you. And tips are how they are paid, for the most part. It's worse than the states with server minimum wage; they get very very little from the cruise line.

The OP never said that they were going to not tip.

It is NOT mandatory but certainly hard-earned and well-deserved. Years ago people would skip out on the tips which eventually led to tips being automatically added to your on board account. There are now very, very few people that don't tip and many people tip more than the minimum suggested amount.

They will not "confront" you, but assuming you have them removed early you are likely to have them or their supervisor approach you to see what they can improve on regarding your service. They want to give you the best service, and removal of tips is an indication to them that they are not doing something right.

And yes, they do see a list of who removes tips so that they can address the service issues proactively.

Definitely reconsider removing/not paying them (as it sounds like OP has made up their mind to do if they can get away with it without a hassle - otherwise why ask). IMHO if the tips (which really should be considered part of a cruise cost) are too much for you to add on, a cruise is out of your budget for a vacation at this time.

The gratuity that is automatically charged to your stateroom is essentially part of the staffs income. Removing it and choosing not to pay it is akin to eating in a nice restaurant and leaving zero tip. The waitstaff would be baffled and confused and wonder what they did wrong and if you ever come back they're likely to remember you. There are some people who prefer to tip in cash but if you do that just remember that on your last night they're probably still going to be expecting an envelope because so many people tip cash over and above the suggested gratuities. And maybe it won't matter because maybe you will feel like you will never see these people again but Disney cruising has a way of getting into your veins. And once you cruise with DCL you are likely to want to do it again. And there are only 4 ships. And I have found that people remember us.

I have never had bad service on a DCL cruise. Most of the time I give extra since I am blown away by the service. I think is is mandatory to pay the gratuities. If you cannot afford to pay for the service, you should stay home. I have a large family of 6 in two cabins every cruise, my gratuity charge is high to put in perspective for OP.

Hey all! I called Disney to ask this question and the answer wasn't exactly clear. I tried googling around and didn't find much. I just wanted to ask if tipping was mandatory or optional?

I know that if you don't pay tips in cash that they put it on your room statement? I know you can have it removed, but then are you expected to tip in cash? Will anyone confront me if I don't?

As DCL states, tipping is always optional.

We look at our on board credits as a way to work our tips into our budget. Several times we have had crew members go WAY above and beyond to take care of us. Like OMG he / she really did that for us? We make sure to have some cash in envelope for them. Like many others have said, they work very long, hard hours for those tips.

Debates around tipped employees and compensation are worthwhile in many venues; Minneapolis is currently debating tip credits and mandatory minimum wages that are decent even untipped.

However, this is something to debate, and if you feel strongly about, take political action about. Stiffing the service employees working in the existing system is not a political act. It's a jerk act.

You will be billed for gratuities for your servers and your stateroom host. Even if you give them cash, your onboard account will be billed unless you go to guest services and change that.

These positions are paid by gratuities. They don't get a regular salary with tips on top. The tips are their pay. It's too bad that the cruise industry doesn't just add it to the cost of the cruise.

The OP never said that they were going to not tip.

IDK. It certainly sounds like they were saying they weren't going to tip.

OP, please reconsider not tipping. As mentioned, these CMs work very, very hard and are paid very, very little outside of their tips. While you could get away with not tipping, it is very poor form and you might be asked what about their service needs to be improved for you to leave a tip. Honestly, my gut reaction to your post was "if you aren't going to tip, don't go on a cruise."

Depending on when you remove the tips yes someone is going to ask you why. If it is towards the end Guest Services will ask why and if there is anything they can do. If the intent is to not tip then you'll either be left having to lie and say you want to tip in cash or fess up directly to a CM and say you aren't tipping at all. I can't say how a Guest Relations CM may respond to that. They would most likely continue to politely push for a why to no tipping.

If you do it in the beginning then your service team is going to ask again the assumption of removing a tip and then not utilizing the cash envelopes with signal the team that there were issues with your service.

So I don't think you'd get away with a simple hey can you remove these awesome thanks if that is what you are looking for. The teams that are tipped (as well as Guest Services/Relations which is not) will notice and will ask what they can do to fix the service error so if there are no issues just budget for the tips ($12 per a person per a night) and leave them be.

Basically, I would simply consider the recommended tips as part of the cost of the cruise. What we usually do is prepay the tips, then it really does just feel like another part of the cost.

Honestly, the only reason I would ever consider removing a tip is if the service was absolutely terrible. But then again if I was getting terrible service, I would be asking that some changes be made. In fact on our last cruise service was so good we added extra in.

Really these guys work their rear ends off to make sure you have a great cruise and you know going into it exactly how much gratuity is recommended. And really given all they do the recommended gratuity is very reasonable.

And this is coming from a person who will tip 15% or more only for absolutely exceptional service.

Tipping is expected. They aren't going to grab you, turn you upside down, and shake the money out of your pockets, but it is expected that you tip. Your servers' pay is based on the tips you pay. It isn't just a little bonus for them- it's their bread and butter. You like getting paid for your work at your job, and so do they. Unless they are egregiously bad (which I've never seen on a Disney cruise), it's wrong to stiff them.

First--I've prepaid tips for our cruise at the recommended amount....

Second--thank you all who weighed in. I think this was a valid question that I too wondered--if we decided to tip like we do at home, cash, and in a discretionary manner that hovers around a more generous point then standard (we tip 20 as a base, and 25 for excellent---15% would indicate we felt totally ill-treated) would that be weird--i.e. how would we even do it--at the end of the cruise, day by day, etc.... envelopes? large bills? etc....

And in some industries people prefer cash tips. But all that said, I think it was a legit question and many of you guys gave great answers, especially as to server/guest services contacts. I'm glad we prepaid the tips because I am hoping to NOT think about money too much for the week :) I'd really rather not be approached about tips! I always find that a bit of a turn off, but it does make sense that they would be concerned about the employees compensation and letting guests know gratuities are important, especially from different tipping cultures. I would just hate to have that talk and it's good to know it would be coming if you don't have something in there.

Follow up question--do they approach you if you reduce the recommended amount in the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter