Is There Interest in a FW DISMeet in Oct 2021? UPDATE: No But The DISMeet Concept Lives On

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
UPDATE: Post #48 contains the answer to the questions in this post. Original post #1 follows.

Folks,

Our first ever fantabulous Fort Wilderness DISMeet is coming up in October 2020 and I am looking forward to it tremendously.

In the meantime, however, the sands of time keep running through the hour glass and the question has been raised about a repeat in October 2021.

Disney has had groups (like ours) doing block contracts for many years and returning on an annual basis at the same point in the year. If we were to do another DISMeet in October 2021, the 500 day booking window opens up for that time period in mid-May of 2020 (this year) which is why I'm having this conversation. All group contracts have to be in place before the booking window opens to the general public for that time frame.

October 2021 falls on the 50th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom which will no doubt have unique celebrations planned. There are also the Halloween parties and other special events that time of year. It's like to be a month in high demand for a visit.

I know it's difficult to say at this point if there is any interest in a 2021 event because we have not even HAD our first event in 2020. But does anyone want to share an opinion about a 2021 DISMeet? Also we would need an event organizer (the role I've been doing for 2020) to volunteer for 2021 as I would like to step back after this year's event.

Yeas? Nays? Different time of year? Interested in organizing? Or is 2020 a one-and-done? I'd like to get feedback of a general sense at this stage before we determine (if) any next steps.

Bama Ed

PS - one comment re: different time of year. There are some parts of the year that Disney will not accept any new group contracts (think Halloween, Christmas times).

Last edited:
Ed,

Donna and I are planning on going to Europe for a couple of weeks next year for our 40th anniversary. The plan, right now, is to skip Disney in 2021. Although that may change like last years September trip with friends.

j

Man, Ed you're killing me!

I got two trips booked this year and was telling myself "Self, you gotta skip Disney in 21. Gotta spend that money elsewhere."

Then you drop this...yYWN7_s-200x150.gif

:jester:

Last edited:

Man, Ed you're killing me!

I got two trips booked this year and was telling myself "Self, you gotta skip Disney in 21. Gotta spend that money elsewhere."

Then you drop this...View attachment 474130

:jester:

I have the DISMeet this fall and then one in early spring next year (for DD's graduation present) since she will still be in school in October. So I am backed up on WDW trips. :scared:

Maybe a non Disney Dismeet?

Sure possibly. We've had Gulf State Park for a few years and the Mid-west folks have been meeting the last couple. It might be time to take the DISMeet concept on the road and/or move it around. But again, it takes "leadership" and "location".

Good idea Denise.

Ed

This year for me is the trip in Feb we just finished, and then a week in Aug, and then two weeks in Oct. I was thinking about skipping 2021 (except for our Aug trip). A FW Dismeet could be a every other year thing.

I get 5 weeks vacation, so even with 2 or 3 in Europe (plan on hitting DLP at one end of the trip), I could probably make a week in Gatlinburg. DW may not be as excited. She will only get 3 weeks vaca by then (2 weeks right now, but gets the 3rd week starting in December)

I would love to bring the RS down there and run the Dragon a few dozen times. DS wants to do it in his Miata, but DW won't drive the RV and really doesn't like driving the RS. If only I had friends with big RVs where I could crash for free rides up and down US 129.

For those unfamiliar with "The Dragon". It is an icon for motorcyclists and sports cars on the TN/NC border. 318 turns in 11 miles. Ran it in my dually a few years ago. :D

68891b2154f8f2f0a837081e05d5257f.gif

j

When I lived in Maryville, TN my wife had an Eclipse GSX all wheel drive turbo. The Dragon was some serious fun back then.

I think I work this in.

For those unfamiliar with "The Dragon". It is an icon for motorcyclists and sports cars on the TN/NC border. 318 turns in 11 miles. Ran it in my dually a few years ago. :D

Are you suggesting one evening we all hook up and test our brake controllers? The first one to the end with still functioning brakes wins!:car:

Some place like Gatlinburg in October can be really pretty. Typically that time of year is when the leaves are changing and the mountains are at their prettiest. It is also their "busy season" because of this same event. While it varies depending on when the leaves change, it can be quite crowded.

So Gatlinburg is a consideration for sure.

Last edited:
I get 5 weeks vacation, so even with 2 or 3 in Europe (plan on hitting DLP at one end of the trip), I could probably make a week in Gatlinburg. DW may not be as excited. She will only get 3 weeks vaca by then (2 weeks right now, but gets the 3rd week starting in December)

I would love to bring the RS down there and run the Dragon a few dozen times. DS wants to do it in his Miata, but DW won't drive the RV and really doesn't like driving the RS. If only I had friends with big RVs where I could crash for free rides up and down US 129.

68891b2154f8f2f0a837081e05d5257f.gif

j

I could bring the Hayabusa....

If it works out, Maybe we can see @SouthAlabama5er and @PaHunter drift some big rigs.
I found this video of Randy out for a casual drive.
I could bring the Hayabusa....
I think you would have a blast. The bike should fit fine on the deck of the Volvo.

All seriousness (and back on topic), Gatlinburg has so much to offer. October is probably beautiful, but the crowds can be significant. I don't know if we could get enough sites in the same campground unless we booked now.

While I don't have a school ager any more, having a meet in June/July/August would allow those with kids to join.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!