Is there benefit to putting my spouse on my membership?

RoseMom

Mouseketeer
The original plan was for me to be the only one on our DVC membership (planning on buying direct) because I do all of the vacation planning and while my husband is allowing Disney to grow on him, I have always been the one who had the love for Disney. However, is there any benefit to putting him on the membership? For example, will we be able to have more people come with us to Moonlight Magic, the lounges, etc. if we have his name on the membership as well? I know those are fairly minor but I am just trying to think everything through.

This is a legal question for your local estate attorney. This is a Florida real estate with real tax consequences that can be foreclosed. If you die, it has to be probated. If one of you dies, and it's jointly owned, there are a lot of options. There are completely different options if you plan to pass this down, like trusts or LLCs. If I were buying direct and planned to own long term, that is how I would do it. I'd have a local LLC with a lot of people on the board.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/q...dcv-ownership-into-a-revocable-trust.3522822/

Find the threads about what happens when a DVC owner dies. If you die first, it might be easier for him if he is on the deed.

Agreed that's a legal question - it's sort of like buying a small house - do you both want to be on the deed? Is there a concern that has you considering not having him on the DVC membership?

Agreed that's a legal question - it's sort of like buying a small house - do you both want to be on the deed? Is there a concern that has you considering not having him on the DVC membership?
No concern at all. I am the one who does all the vacation planning. I like it that way as it is a stress reliever for me! I really had not even thought about putting his name on the membership as I knew he would not be going to Disney without me but I guess in terms of property then it should be in both of our names. Easier to do it in the beginning that have to make those changes down the road!

With both names on the contract, you both would be able to take advantage of any perks, like 10-15% off food, 20% off disney merch...access to the lounge and top of the world if/when it reopens...

There are benefits for being owners. For the lounge, each would then be eligible for the extra guests.

He would also be able to get discounts when not with you.

Both of our contracts list both of us as owners for above mentioned reasons.

I am surprised that Disney allows only one spouse on the deed as most timeshares want both spouses on the deed

With both names on the contract, you both would be able to take advantage of any perks, like 10-15% off food, 20% off disney merch...access to the lounge and top of the world if/when it reopens...
And if you're out of state, wouldn't both names need to be listed if you want to get Sorcerer's Passes? Well, if they ever resume selling APs...

I am surprised that Disney allows only one spouse on the deed as most timeshares want both spouses on the deed
This is like saying why would you sell your house to one person (or a trust or whatever). Who cares. There are a lot of reasons spouses might have separate financials or title assets to one person or another.

I find it unlikely any timeshare would turn away an adult with cash wanting to buy in their name.

Sometimes they want both spouses to sit through the pitch so you can’t just blame it on that and walk out.

ok, in retrospect, most timeshares want BOTH spouses at the tour and decision process - then only one can be on the deed if they want. Not that anyone thinks about these things, but estate planning is easier if both spouses are on the deed, but in a divorce, I guess it should go to whoever paid for it. Disney is one of the few timeshares that hold value or even increase in value where most drop like a rock and nobody wants them in a divorce.

ok, in retrospect, most timeshares want BOTH spouses at the tour and decision process - then only one can be on the deed if they want. Not that anyone thinks about these things, but estate planning is easier if both spouses are on the deed, but in a divorce, I guess it should go to whoever paid for it. Disney is one of the few timeshares that hold value or even increase in value where most drop like a rock and nobody wants them in a divorce.
Generally, both spouses have to be on the deed if they take out a mortgage. This can get more complicated if they live in a community property state, where the property would legally belong to both of them even though only one might be listed on the deed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter