Is there a purpose to all the water around disney world at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotta think there's got to be some engineering solutions that could be made to both keep the gators and other dangerous vermin out of the lake and make it safe for swimming so the beaches are all viable again.
No, there really isn't. Gators are indigenous to the area, and can easily move between bodies of water either thru canals or overland. Any body of water in central & southern Florida, from the smallest retention pond on up, has to be assumed to contain gators.

No, there really isn't. Gators are indigenous to the area, and can easily move between bodies of water either thru canals or overland. Any body of water in central & southern Florida, from the smallest retention pond on up, has to be assumed to contain gators.
Exactly. I'm not in Florida- I've only been in southern Louisiana for about six months now. We had a four footer in a drainage canal about two weeks ago. The canal is kind of long but only maybe a foot and a half wide and not very deep. I wouldn't have expected a gator there, but there it was. Getting rid of all the gators just isn't realistic. They come back.

Sorry, this is not the case for Disney.

In the local news coverage, a representative of Florida Fish & Wildlife Dept. made it clear that Disney has a special agreement with the state that allows them to remove gators at their own discretion. When specifically asked what was the last time Disney had removed a gator, he said he did not know but it happens on a regular basis.

I saw that reported but I watched him live on a conference or two. Pretty sure he elaborated that Disney wildlife team can move the smaller ones all they want under their agreement (I think he said up to 4 ft) but that they are to be called and they come in with trappers and manage the larger ones. I'd have to try and see if some station posted that part of the conference, but did find quotes ...

"The park has a full-time team that monitors the complex, and if they spot a potentially threatening animal they call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which then responds."

"Responding to questions from The Associated Press, Disney said it has a policy of relocating alligators that are considered a potential threat. Animals less than 4 feet long are taken to conservation areas. Larger gators are removed by state-licensed trappers, the company said."

I saw that reported but I watched him live on a conference or two. Pretty sure he elaborated that Disney wildlife team can move the smaller ones all they want under their agreement (I think he said up to 4 ft) but that they are to be called and they come in with trappers and manage the larger ones. I'd have to try and see if some station posted that part of the conference, but did find quotes ...

"The park has a full-time team that monitors the complex, and if they spot a potentially threatening animal they call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which then responds."

"Responding to questions from The Associated Press, Disney said it has a policy of relocating alligators that are considered a potential threat. Animals less than 4 feet long are taken to conservation areas. Larger gators are removed by state-licensed trappers, the company said."
Thanks, I missed that part.

I first attended Disney World around 1985 or 1986. To remind me of what it was like then, I bought a 1986 guidebook online.
One thing I noticed is that back in the early days, they were using the water from their manmade lakes in a lot of ways:
-swimming
-Water skiing and other water sports
-the water was feeding the River Country water park
-the water was being used at the discovery island animal refuge (that closed when the Animal Kingdom opened up)
- and of course there was a lot of people on the beaches.
- the 20.000 Leagues ride used a small manmade lake for its subs.

It seems that today the water is just a backdrop and it really isn't used for much other than pretty backdrop to photos.
The water can't be used for a waterpark anymore. It rusts out the subs so no more 20000 Leagues or nemo subs rides. It really hasn't been used much for swimming in years. The recent tragedy surely will end any beach access either.
So why dont they just remove it and make the parking lot closer to the MK or put in some more rides or make the roads wider or do something with the space now? They really are not getting much productive use out of it for many years. T

he original design had that water serving many purposes but that doesn;t seem to be the case for quite a while now.

Not going to happen.

And some mope and family will go around the fence and get into the water anyway... it's inevitable...

My thoughts exactly. No amount of signage is going to stop people from "bending the rules." We've seen it and commented on it on the DIS for years. No flash photography, no diving, don't feed the wildlife, etc. With reports of people witnessing others feeding alligators at the resorts to quotes from wildlife experts stating the alligator that attacked boy was undoubtedly fed by a human at some point, enough is enough. Disney can't control guest stupidity or monitor every move by every guest. I think they should add to all signage if you are caught breaking these rules you will be trespassed. Enough is enough.

Ah cmon, don't be a negative Nellie. Sure we can just remove every living thing from a massive body of water and keep it out! (Electrification?!?) Next job will be to keep all those pesky sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, and other vermin out of the Florida oceans. THEN it will be a safe vacation destination where none of us have to look out for our own safety.

Oh, sorry, my "sarcasm" button got stuck again.... :badpc:

It seems that today the water is just a backdrop and it really isn't used for much other than pretty backdrop to photos.

Ever heard of sinkhokes? Building anywhere in Florida is a delicate balance in water levels, and obviously even with all the research and the laws put into place, it still sometimes goes wrong and cars or houses get swallowed up by a sinkhole. It would not be a good thing for Disney World to end up that way!

I haven't read all of this because I honestly just can't. Read up on Florida's ecosystems... it is a modern marvel that we can even build as much as we have in a swamp. Paving over and draining the water won't permanently change anything-- believe it or not, we are still at the mercy of the land. It isn't because they don't want to disrupt the wildlife or change the ecosystem, it's because it would just cave in. There is water and it has to go somewhere.

I first attended Disney World around 1985 or 1986. To remind me of what it was like then, I bought a 1986 guidebook online.
One thing I noticed is that back in the early days, they were using the water from their manmade lakes in a lot of ways:
-swimming
-Water skiing and other water sports
-the water was feeding the River Country water park
-the water was being used at the discovery island animal refuge (that closed when the Animal Kingdom opened up)
- and of course there was a lot of people on the beaches.
- the 20.000 Leagues ride used a small manmade lake for its subs.

The water can't be used for a waterpark anymore. It rusts out the subs so no more 20000 Leagues or nemo subs rides. It really hasn't been used much for swimming in years. The recent tragedy surely will end any beach access either.
So why dont they just remove it and make the parking lot closer to the MK or put in some more rides or make the roads wider or do something with the space now? They really are not getting much productive use out of it for many years. The original design had that water serving many purposes but that doesn;t seem to be the case for quite a while now.
So....just because PEOPLE can't use the water for their own amusement it's useless??
So, in your opinion, should all bodies of water that don't serve recreational purposes for people be turned into something people can get some use out of? What about forests? I mean, if we can't camp in them safely, might as well burn them down and build sports complexes and shopping malls right?

Goodness. I worry so much about the future.

Can you imagine opening the stall door & seeing that?!

Get a stopwatch because I'd make it into Guinness for World's Fastest Sprint.

:scared1:
I hear ya'! I couldn't help but wonder - since it was supposedly an adventureland bathroom - whether someone might have thought this was just REALLY ELABORATE theming...

Many, many years ago, I was driving to the Kennedy Space Center and there was a gator strolling across the road, bringing traffic to a stop. And I swear I've seen pictures of gators in residential swimming pools even when the pool was totally enclosed. I'm not from Florida, but I've always assumed that if there was a body of water, there would be gators in it so I stay away unless I can see the bottom so I know there aren't any critters in there. :)

These fences change absolutely nothing from the gators perspectives.
Then why are they putting up a fence other then some PR gimmick to show how much they care?
Humans are generally not prey for gators. The horrible tragic accident that occurred had much more to do with the fact that they were at the waters edge where gators hang out. Hungry gators are not trying to figure out how to get you.

Gators are water creatures. When you see them on dry land they are on their way back to water. They are way more afraid of us then we are of them. Seeing them strolling up Main Street (away from water), or just chillin' in the middle of a dry parking lot (away from water), or making their way to a food cart (away from water), or hanging out next to your hotel doorway (away from water) are all highly unlikely because they do not like human crowds, even if they're hungry. They typically hang out near the waters edge and when hungry they will hunt in that area.

The new fencing installed is posts and ropes, lots of room for gators to crawl through when they want to get back to the water, which is pretty much always. So you need not worry that hungry gators are going to get stuck inside those new fances and start looking for food on dry land. Not gonna happen.
The first part is true. I don't for a second think that gators naturally pursue humans for food, however, it has happened. If like said above, from the gators perspective nothing has changed, that is assuming that they are all in the water at this point and not seeking it.

Gators have been found in backyard swimming pools, shopping center parking lots, under cars for shade and many places that are not water. Gators are cold blooded reptiles and spend more time on dry land staying warm then in the water. Since, according to you, if you see them on land it is because they are on their way to the water, I have to ask.. Are those that we see laying on the shore for hours on end victims of having almost made it to the water and then somehow dosing off just before they reached their goal.

WDW is a wide open huge swamp. Gators do not follow road maps, so to say that it wouldn't happen is a huge hunk of denial. Leaving room for Gators to get under the ropes also makes them useless when it comes to keeping humans out of the water. The boy was not walking on the shore, he was in the water, shallow water granted, but still in the water the gator didn't climb up on land to get him, however, that was easily possible. Just the signs would be more then sufficient when you consider the uselessness of the fence. Also a little education about how gators hunt after dark would also help warn people that it is more dangerous after dark.

I was one of the first ones to go public with my belief that this was a terrible accident and the other then educating people of the dangers, not much could have prevented it. Hindsight is always better then looking into the future. We can see a number of things that might have helped, but, those will only be good for the future, not the past. Sticks with ropes will not deter gators or humans if that is where they want to be. If, however, you continue to insist that they are not dangerous wild creatures and will stay 24/7 in the water once we made it clear that they are not wanted on land, then I'm sure that in the not to distant future, we will be free to call you stumpy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter