Is there a DCL policy for scattering ashes/burial at sea?

anitag888

Earning My Ears
Sorry for the depressing thread, but I'm hoping some of you experts might know. We were frequent DCL cruisers with my disabled daughter who LOVED all things Disney, but the parks could be a challenge for her when she needed a break. We lost her last August, and I thought it would be fitting to bury her at sea on a DCL cruise with my husband since that's when she was happiest. I know that other cruise lines do it (provided you follow their guidelines) but I can't find anything for DCL. Anyone have any idea? (This was us on the Wonder headed to Alaska a few years back)... Any info anyone might have would be really great. Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.35.02 AM.png

I'm sorry for your loss and I think it's so meaningful to plan something like this! I'm guessing DCL's policy would be similar to other cruiselines but wonder if maybe they just don't get asked as often due to a smaller fleet, etc. It might be best put to DCL directly since it's so specific and may involve having to plan a small ceremony of sorts, or having the captain advise when the best time is, etc.

Condolences to you and your family. And as others have said, definitely contact DCL. There are regulations in the US about scattering ashes (if that is what you meant), not sure about in international waters. Perhaps they have a designated location where you could perform a nice ceremony or tribute to your daughter. Wonderful for you to honor her this way.

I'm so sorry for you loss. :hug:

I agree with the above replies that you should contact DCL directly for any specifics. I hope it does work out for you as this sounds like a wonderful way to honor her.

I don’t see a DCL policy but Royal Caribbean and Carnival have published policies and DCL is likely similar. It looks like generally, you would need a biodegradable urn and will toss the urn rather than scattering ashes to avoid them blowing back on the ship. You’ll need to coordinate with the staff on the cruise for a time and place so that the “man overboard” sensors are not triggered by the falling object.

You’ll need to coordinate with the staff on the cruise for a time and place so that the “man overboard” sensors are not triggered by the falling object.
Op don't take this advice as all you have to do. Contact DCL prior to the trip to set this up (if they do allow it). They will tell you what the procedure is.

So very sorry for your loss. I hope that you are able to honor your daughter in this way. Contact DCL. My fingers are crossed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:
We asked our TA about this after my mother died in 2019. She LOVED to cruise and we considered doing a big family cruise to do the same.
Our TA told us that there are laws regarding transporting human remains. Not just carrying onto a cruise ship, but also carrying onto an airplane. I believe you need to bring the cremation permit/documentation and the death cert.

While it's illegal to throw anything into the water from a cruise ship, DCL and others are aware that it's done and tend to let it go. She did suggest using a water soluble container and I shopped for one briefly and saw that Amazon does sell them.

Personally, I'd choose deck 4, not the upper decks, just to be closer to the water. I would also choose either very late at night or very early in the morning, to minimize the amount of people in the area. Mostly so you could have a quiet moment there without kids screeching and shuffleboard clacking.

https://www.nationalcremation.com/a...at-do-i-need-for-flying-with-cremated-remains

Last edited:
When we asked prior to our Panama Canal cruise DCL said no but maybe rules have changed since? Not typically a rule breaker but we did bring just a very small amount and scattered them during our transit through the canal. My father was stationed here during his time in the service and my mom really wanted to make this happen.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:
We asked our TA about this after my mother died in 2019. She LOVED to cruise and we considered doing a big family cruise to do the same.
Our TA told us that there are laws regarding transporting human remains. Not just carrying onto a cruise ship, but also carrying onto an airplane. I believe you need to bring the cremation permit/documentation and the death cert.

While it's illegal to throw anything into the water from a cruise ship, DCL and others are aware that it's done and tend to let it go. She did suggest using a water soluble container and I shopped for one briefly and saw that Amazon does sell them.

Personally, I'd choose deck 4, not the upper decks, just to be closer to the water. I would also choose either very late at night or very early in the morning, to minimize the amount of people in the area. Mostly so you could have a quiet moment there without kids screeching and shuffleboard clacking.

https://www.nationalcremation.com/a...at-do-i-need-for-flying-with-cremated-remains
I have flown with remains and I did not have a permit or death certificate. You just have to carry it on and TSA has to do additional screening on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter