Is it worth it to waiting around for 1 hour+ to see parade/fireworks?

We just went a few weeks ago and picked a spot for F! about an hour and 15 minutes before the show started. We were happy to sit for a while after a long day of walking. We were right behind the light tower that raises before the show so we had no one crowd us until when it raised. We were pushed, but I had my kids right up against the fence so we could protect them. We had a great view, but it was just about ruined by a woman who showed up right behind us as the show started and complained the entire time about how she could not see over us. I tried my best to ignore her, but I was so upset. Did she really expect that I would move so she could have the good spot? I am all for waiting for a spot, you just need to be prepared for the people that will push in all around you!

We finally discovered the spot for fireworks where the walkway gets roped off and people aren't allowed to walk in front of you during the show. We really needed that spot so our 3 and 5 year old could see, they are getting too old and heavy for us to hold them. We grabbed a snack and just waited in the street for an hour and it worked out really well. We always do the 2nd Fantasmic and get a spot at the light tower about 20-30 min beforehand and then our kids can see at the railing.

Is there anywhere outside the parks whre you could sit and watch the fireworks? We are staying atthe Grand Californian. Being a WDW vet, my favorite place to watch the fireworks is the Polynesian beach with the music piped in. Thanks for any info.

I watched a documentary once about kids in Anaheim who never get to go to DLR. They sit in the parking lots and watch the fireworks. I also have seen them going off as we walked out of DLR.
I am sure there are better places.

Is there anywhere outside the parks whre you could sit and watch the fireworks? We are staying atthe Grand Californian. Being a WDW vet, my favorite place to watch the fireworks is the Polynesian beach with the music piped in. Thanks for any info.
First, when are you going? This will relate to which fireworks you see.

Be advised that some of the fireworks shows - especially Remember Dreams Come True - were designed not only to be viewed inside the park but inside the hub of the park - and Main Street. There are many special effects that work around the hub. If viewed from outside you will miss 80% of the show.

If you want to see fireworks from outside, many of the GCH rooms that face DTD will allow you to see fireworks. You can also them well from the Esplanade between DL and DCA.

Good luck!

:wizard:

We finally discovered the spot for fireworks where the walkway gets roped off and people aren't allowed to walk in front of you during the show. We really needed that spot so our 3 and 5 year old could see, they are getting too old and heavy for us to hold them. We grabbed a snack and just waited in the street for an hour and it worked out really well. We always do the 2nd Fantasmic and get a spot at the light tower about 20-30 min beforehand and then our kids can see at the railing.

Would you care to share where this area is? I'd really my kids to be able to see the fireworks without us holding them up. We will be there at the end of Nov. so the huge tree will be blocking the views from the train station. Are kids aloud to stand on the cement ledge surrounding the partners statue?

:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: :littleangel:

I am not a waiter ! I will invest 30 minutes for shows, parades, and fireworks (at both DL and WDW) but no more than that. The one exception is if I have something else to "do" during an hour wait.....for sample I would show up the hour prior for a dessert buffet viewing.
I am very willing to give up on the "perfect" view to have a happy experience . Happy experiences can't be built on the back of an hour wait, where I still have no control on the behaviors of others to ruin my investment of time.

Happy experiences involve me deciding on trade offs, and having some control.

Would you care to share where this area is? I'd really my kids to be able to see the fireworks without us holding them up. We will be there at the end of Nov. so the huge tree will be blocking the views from the train station. Are kids aloud to stand on the cement ledge surrounding the partners statue?

:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: :littleangel:

They block off the front half of the hub once the show starts, so you can't stand on the ledge, but we waited in the road where we saw where the ropes were going to go right next to the hub. It will be crowded until the show starts, but once they rope it off they don't let anyone through until the show is over. It was perfect! I'm not sure my description was that great, but ask the castmembers. You just have to make sure you are right at that line when the rope goes up or your kids will be staring at people's behinds instead of the fireworks :)

They block off the front half of the hub once the show starts, so you can't stand on the ledge, but we waited in the road where we saw where the ropes were going to go right next to the hub. It will be crowded until the show starts, but once they rope it off they don't let anyone through until the show is over. It was perfect! I'm not sure my description was that great, but ask the castmembers. You just have to make sure you are right at that line when the rope goes up or your kids will be staring at people's behinds instead of the fireworks :)
When my kids were younger I aimed for spots towards the south side of the hub right on a curb. They then at least got a 4 inch advantage over those in front on the street. Since one looks mostly up at fireworks this was even more advantageous than just 4 inches.

When my kids were younger I aimed for spots towards the south side of the hub right on a curb. They then at least got a 4 inch advantage over those in front on the street. Since one looks mostly up at fireworks this was even more advantageous than just 4 inches.

I am having a hard time picturing since we have never seen fireworks at DL. How soon before the show would you need to arrive to secure a curb spot?
THANKS!

I am having a hard time picturing since we have never seen fireworks at DL. How soon before the show would you need to arrive to secure a curb spot?
THANKS!
It always depends on the season and the show and how badly you want the spot.

- An hour early you would get it for sure - usually
- 45 minutes, probably you will get it
- 30 minutes, maybe you will get it

Visit the hub during the day. Scout some potential spots which are not blocked by trees as you view the castle. Consider the curb locations.

Be aware that during fireworks CMs put up ropes to create walkways. So ropes might go up in spots where you think you want to stand. Be ready to be flexible and check with the CMs there before the show if you will be in a walkway or not. If you are on a curb then chances are there will not be a walkway there as it will be dark and the curb will be hard to navigate for the walkers. But it is a good idea to check.

If you have more than one night to try, then go 30 minutes early on the night of the first attempt. If that is too late then try 45 minutes on the next night.

Be aware that during fireworks CMs put up ropes to create walkways. So ropes might go up in spots where you think you want to stand. Be ready to be flexible and check with the CMs there before the show if you will be in a walkway or not. If you are on a curb then chances are there will not be a walkway there as it will be dark and the curb will be hard to navigate for the walkers. But it is a good idea to check.

If you have more than one night to try, then go 30 minutes early on the night of the first attempt. If that is too late then try 45 minutes on the next night.

Sorry if I am extending this thread out longer than it needs to be.... :)
I am guessing you COULD stake out a spot on a curb and not have anyone directly in front of you if the CM creates a rope barrier there? This would be ideal with the wee ones.
What spots are people talking about getting at like 2 hours ahead then? Better than a curb spot?
Again... thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Sorry if I am extending this thread out longer than it needs to be.... :)
I am guessing you COULD stake out a spot on a curb and not have anyone directly in front of you if the CM creates a rope barrier there? This would be ideal with the wee ones.
What spots are people talking about getting at like 2 hours ahead then? Better than a curb spot?
Again... thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Actually you would NOT want to be standing behind a rope walkway. If you did then there would be a constant stream of people walking in front of you which would be really distracting. Even so, the rope walkways are typically not on the streets but on the sidewalks.

Folks who do the 2 hour wait thing are either trying for one of the few benches in the hub to have a place to sit, or are trying to be up near the castle because they feel that spot is better and worth waiting for. For me there is no way I would wait 2 hours for a show which is subject to cancelation due to winds aloft. If I wait 2 hours (for say WOC) it is because a show is certain to happen - well almost certain. And even then I only waited 2 hours for WOC once during opening summer. It is not uncommon for DL fireworks to get canceled.

I'm probably not completely understanding Hydroguy, he knows his stuff, but unless this was a new thing in April, there is a "walkway" they block off at the castle side of the hub and no one can walk through during the show. It looks like a walkway, but obviously not since people can't walk it. Then when the show ended we did use it to get over to Fantasmic. Just go on the side of the hub by the castle and ask a CM for help. We were there in slow season and were the first ones there an hour early. A lot more showed up about 45 minutes before. We found out about it because we wanted to grab a bench in front of the statue for the show and the CM let us know that everyone would be cleared of that area before it started, so we couldn't stay there. So we went to the curb by the street to wait and then had a few feet between us and the people in front of us. The kids could see great and our backs were saved! Yay! :)

I'm probably not completely understanding Hydroguy, he knows his stuff, but unless this was a new thing in April, there is a "walkway" they block off at the castle side of the hub and no one can walk through during the show. It looks like a walkway, but obviously not since people can't walk it. Then when the show ended we did use it to get over to Fantasmic. Just go on the side of the hub by the castle and ask a CM for help. We were there in slow season and were the first ones there an hour early. A lot more showed up about 45 minutes before. We found out about it because we wanted to grab a bench in front of the statue for the show and the CM let us know that everyone would be cleared of that area before it started, so we couldn't stay there. So we went to the curb by the street to wait and then had a few feet between us and the people in front of us. The kids could see great and our backs were saved! Yay! :)
I am talking about the south side of the hub opposite the castle. The side near the castle is where many people camp out 2 hours before the show. That is not where you want to go unless you have lots of time. As far as walkways, I can't remember if they are still there or not. They do have walkways right thru the center of the hub. And on the side of the hub away from the castle. I am sure they have emergency walkways near the castle but they may close those off to those just passing thru.

I am talking about the south side of the hub opposite the castle. The side near the castle is where many people camp out 2 hours before the show. That is not where you want to go unless you have lots of time. As far as walkways, I can't remember if they are still there or not. They do have walkways right thru the center of the hub. And on the side of the hub away from the castle. I am sure they have emergency walkways near the castle but they may close those off to those just passing thru.

i am one of the guilty parties that camp out 2 hours before anything :wave2::rotfl:..i want to make sure i get the best spot possible

IMO 1 hour isn't worth it for the parade or fireworks. For the old Main Street Electrical Parade, yes, but for the current parade, no.

If you do want to see the fireworks though my personal fav spots are by the Matterhorn if you want to see the actual fireworks, but on Main Street (in the grassy areas closest to the castle) if you want to see the castle get lit up. It's kind of an either-or thing ... the fireworks are behind the castle for the most part, but the most dramatic visual effect is when viewing the castle "superimposed" on top of the fireworks.

For WOC and Fantasmic I would say 1 hour is totally worth it if you haven't seen them before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter