Is it okay to change a baby’s diaper at a table?

Would it be ok for a Starbucks employee to approach these people?:scared::crazy2: I think if you were a diner at this restuarant, you would be thankful for any snide remark that went towards these customers.

http://consumerist.com/2012/09/05/p...ant-table-might-possibly-upset-nearby-diners/

That is disgusting and ignorant. That mother needs a slap. I wonder how many perverts took a pic of her? Imagine being the next table and while eating you hear and smell her going potty.

That is disgusting and ignorant. That mother needs a slap. I wonder how many perverts took a pic of her? Imagine being the next table and while eating you hear and smell her going potty.

:thumbsup2 And that is how I feel about a diaper being changed in a restaurant. It smells. It is gross. It is filthy. Bathroom issues and food just don't mix.

You're exhausted. Go to bed.

You wrote much longer replies on this thread and nobody told you to go to bed:confused3 Why so rude? She posted all facts. Why would you reply like that?

We are adults, sharing ideas, having a conversation. You got very snippy with me too.

Is there a reason why you can't respond without sounding defensive?

It's ok. Children are not welcomed with open arms everywhere. Not mine. Not yours. Not in the USA. Not in Canada. Why are you so defensive about that?

You wrote much longer replies on this thread and nobody told you to go to bed:confused3 Why so rude? She posted all facts. Why would you reply like that?

We are adults, sharing ideas, having a conversation. You got very snippy with me too.

Is there a reason why you can't respond without sounding defensive?

It's ok. Children are not welcomed with open arms everywhere. Not mine. Not yours. Not in the USA. Not in Canada. Why are you so defensive about that?

Pot meet kettle.

Pot meet kettle.

I think you are confusing me with somebody else. I have given my opinions. I have never told anyone to "go to bed" when I did not agree with their response.

So we don't agree on this subject. That is ok. But to get defensive and start responding with "go to bed":confused3

I think you are confusing me with somebody else. I have given my opinions. I have never told anyone to "go to bed" when I did not agree with their response.

So we don't agree on this subject. That is ok. But to get defensive and start responding with "go to bed":confused3

Yep. Time to go to bed when I'm misquoted.

The sad thing is we have to have these sorts of conversations because, apparently, a lot people have lost both common sense & decency & any sort of civility & manners.

Children are not welcome everywhere. I have children. I, & many other parents, recognize this. However, some parents don't.

Just because I don't bring my children in tow w/ me everywhere does not mean I dislike children.

Well behaved children are welcome just about any where.

Some places try to foster a more adult atmosphere, & that's fine.

Not all establishments will have changing tables in their restrooms. And that's fine too.

Just because a restaurant may have a kids' menu that does not also mean they should be required to have changing tables in their restrooms. Likewise, just because a movie theater may show G-rated movies, that does mean they should be required to have changing tables in their restrooms.

If an establishment does not have a changing table in one or more of the restrooms, a parent should not change his/her child's diaper at a table or in the seat of a table.

This thread did not start out asking whether or not children are welcome at Starbucks. The OP asked whether or not it was appropriate to change a child's diaper at a table.

It is not appropriate to change a child's diaper at a table. No matter the circumstances - even if there is no changing table in the restroom.

If you are parent & your child needs a diaper change, it is your responsibility to find an appropriate place to change your child's diaper & then dispose of the diaper properly.

And if you do happen to change your child's diaper at a table & an employee says something to you (as the employee should!), you shouldn't then retaliate by dumping your coffee all over the floor.

The sad thing is we have to have these sorts of conversations because, apparently, a lot people have lost both common sense & decency & any sort of civility & manners.

Children are not welcome everywhere. I have children. I, & many other parents, recognize this. However, some parents don't.

Just because I don't bring my children in tow w/ me everywhere does not mean I dislike children.

Not all establishments will have changing tables in their restrooms. And that's fine too.

Just because a restaurant may have a kids' menu that does not also mean they should be required to have changing tables in their restrooms. Likewise, just because a movie theater may show G-rated movies, that does mean they should be required to have changing tables in their restrooms.

If an establishment does not have a changing table in one or more of the restrooms, a parent should not change his/her child's diaper at a table or in the seat of a table.

This thread did not start out asking whether or not children are welcome at Starbucks. The OP asked whether or not it was appropriate to change a child's diaper at a table.

It is not appropriate to change a child's diaper at a table. No matter the circumstances - even if there is no changing table in the restroom.

If you are parent & your child needs a diaper change, it is your responsibility to find an appropriate place to change your child's diaper & then dispose of the diaper properly.

And if you do happen to change your child's diaper at a table & an employee says something to you (as the employee should!), you shouldn't then retaliate by dumping your coffee all over the floor.

Pretty much covers it. :) Somehow I managed to raise a child in the 90's without having a changing table in every bathroom. I'm responsible for my child, not a business. If your child can't make it through a 15 minute trip to Starbucks without needing a diaper change, there's more wrong than a dirty diaper. Changing one at a table...just disgusting.

Pretty much covers it. :) Somehow I managed to raise a child in the 90's without having a changing table in every bathroom. I'm responsible for my child, not a business. If your child can't make it through a 15 minute trip to Starbucks without needing a diaper change, there's more wrong than a dirty diaper. Changing one at a table...just disgusting.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Isn't it a health code violation. Starbucks is NOT a place where you eat a meal. It's where you grab your coffee with goodies and go unless it 's around a college. These people should have been asked to leave with the other customers' comfort being in the forefront of the manager's mind. One positive, at least if was coffee he spilled instead if a full diaper.

I haven't read past page one, obviously the parents shouldn't have changed a diaper at the table and the dad shouldn't have poured coffee on the floor.

That said, it harms no one to have changing tables in bathrooms and makes it 100% easier to care for your baby/toddler while out and about. Places I've discovered that don't have a changing table available lose my business if I'm out with my son (which is most of the time).

Many people work and meet at Starbucks. I would imagine that some Starbucks do try to discourage people from lingering with small kids.

I've been in some locations where people bring in their kids and before too long some of the kids get louder and wilder. I don't really blame the kids because it's a pretty boring place for them.

I'm personally glad that the employees said something even though they shouldn't joke. If businesses don't say anything people will just continue to do things like that.

I haven't read past page one, obviously the parents shouldn't have changed a diaper at the table and the dad shouldn't have poured coffee on the floor.

That said, it harms no one to have changing tables in bathrooms and makes it 100% easier to care for your baby/toddler while out and about. Places I've discovered that don't have a changing table available lose my business if I'm out with my son (which is most of the time).

Since you didn't read my post that was well past page one I'll post again how changing tables can harm someone. I worked at a very busy Starbucks in NYC. Before our remodel we had an infant changing table after or remodel we did not. The reasons were simple. When we had the changing table we found people doing hard drugs off of it on more than or occasion and on many nights would find a power that was not baby powder on it. Also people vandalize infant changing tables all the time and sometimes lead them to being unsafe. Parents don't always buckle their child into the changing table and they can and do fall off and get hurt. All of these things make the store and ultimately employees liable and our manager decided based on the drugs alone it wasn't worth it.

You wouldn't believe what goes on in the bathrooms of major city Starbucks. Drug uses I so bad in them that we are actually trained to look for needles in the trash and be aware of any suspicious amount of time spent in the bathroom. We are also trained how to deal with boldly fluids since it seems to be a quick get away for teenage couples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter