Is it okay to change a baby’s diaper at a table?

Those parents were completely out of line!

30 years ago there were even less changing tables available and you did not see mothers doing diaper duty on tables at restaurants....

You can take the child out to your car or outside in a hidden corner and change them in privacy.

Also, soils diapers should be tossed in a trash bin, outside or restroom, never indoors.

wilkeliza said:
I didn't read the whole thread but as an ex-Starbucks employee I can shed some light on why our particular Starbucks does not have a changing table. The Starbucks I worked for does not have one due to liability. We discovered after one was installed that people were doing drugs off of it. After this was discovered the manager had the table removed for the safety of everyone involved. Also kids play on them and people vandalize them making the table unsafe after just a few days of not hours. Providing the changing tables opens up the store to all sorts of liabilities and we just couldn't afford to take that on. Any claim of injury comes out of the individual stores budget and 1 baby sick from drugs or from falling of the damaged changing table would have shut us down.

Now I think it is in no way appropriate to change your child in public. Would you drop drawer in public to pee or poop? No, so why exposé your child to that. Maybe I'm a little protective and work in NYC where tourists take pictures of everything but I wouldn't change my niece in public for fear someone would get their jollys of that in NYC or some tourist would take a picture of it because it is funny. If we do have to do it in public we push the stroller to a private corner and do it in the stroller where no one can see.

People are disgusting and I can totally see someone doing drugs off if one. I interrupted people having sex in the family bathroom at the Target I worked at.

I can't believe ANYONE thinks it's ok for a child's diaper to be changed on a table. That is disgusting!

and that is your opinion!! He actually went at 4 weeks old when he went the first time*gasp* and again when he was 2 :) Many parents take young kids to age appropriate G or PG movies with no problems!! :goodvibes

I thought you had said he was 2. Now I see you are saying he is two now and you did not specify how long ago you took him.

Okay, so a 4 week old had about as much right to be at a theatre as my 5 day old did. YOU (or your older child, etc) might have been watching the movie, but the 4 week old was not in the least bit the intended audience of any theatrical show.

Why do you feel the theater should HAVE to provide a changing table and encourage the bringing in of children so young they cannot even understand that they are supposed to be quiet during the film?

None to a G rated movie in which my husband and I were taking his brother...... to a childs movie....in which he slept the entire time...... sorry but I do not think you have any right to say where people choose to take their children...when the theater had zero issue!

Nor do you have any right to demand that all movie theatres provide changing tables simply because you want to both be there with your other child to see a movie.

Nor do you have any right to demand that all movie theatres provide changing tables simply because you want to both be there with your other child to see a movie.

I certainly do not even begin to believe I am entitled to a changing table.... all I said is I think they should be required to have them, I have never complained or fussed when one is unavailable!!
We can agree to disagree! That is just fine :) When all is said and done I am responsible for my child will find a safe place to take care of their needs!

It is never ok to change a child in the dining area of a restaurant. There are too many other options for this to even be considered remotely ok.

As for Starbucks not wanting kids; well I figure Starbucks likes being as big a money maker as it is. Lots of Mom's buy Starbucks. If you don't like going there when you see Mom's and their younger kids--use the drive thru.

I am sure there are restaurants in this world that do not really want kids in their establishment. Those places wouldn't do very well here. Kids can and do behave in public. Its crazy to assume that because there is a kid in a place that all heck is going to break loose.

Now, these establishments do not have to have changing tables in them, but it would be nice. I can certainly see that a place that is geared toward families and/or children would be more likely to have changing tables but NOT having one certainly does not signify to me that the place doesn't want children and families around.

I am sure there are restaurants in this world that do not really want kids in their establishment. Those places wouldn't do very well here.

Why? Where do you live? I know there are MANY childfree/child UNfriendly restaurants that thrive. I know many people (like myself) that have children and still enjoy a childfree meal every now and again. I can't imagine a non-family restaurant that has excellent food not doing well:confused3

Adding:

We all know that Palo and Victoria and Albert's don't do very well. NOBODY goes to _those_ restaurants;) WHAT!?! No children at WDW restaurants:duck:

Maybe you should re-read my posts. That is quite the spin on it.
Okay, I went back through and read all your posts again. You are right that I was trying to connect some dots in my brain that were maybe not there. Otherwise here is hwat I get:

1. You take your kids everywhere with you and htey are always welcomed.

2 Everywhere includes many places in both the US and Canada and everyone is always welcoming of your well behaved kids.

3. Americans dislike kids and prefer to not be around them and this attitude is different in Canada and Nothern Europe (how this relates to your kids always being welcomed in over 35 US states is a bit of a mystery to me).

I do not really see how much of anything in your posts relates to diapers or changing tables at all :confused3

I certainly do not even begin to believe I am entitled to a changing table.... all I said is I think they should be required to have them, I have never complained or fussed when one is unavailable!!
We can agree to disagree! That is just fine :) When all is said and done I am responsible for my child will find a safe place to take care of their needs!

So you feel it should be demanded of them (required of them) by law. I totally disagree. I do not feel that a movie theatre, a place whose very nature does NOT offer any product or service intended for children too young to stand up for diaper changes, a place where the presence of such children is very often distracting and not to be encouraged, should be required to offer any sort of convenience for those who bring their very young children there anyway.

Why? Where do you live? I know there are MANY childfree/child UNfriendly restaurants that thrive. I know many people (like myself) that have children and still enjoy a childfree meal every now and again. I can't imagine a non-family restaurant that has excellent food not doing well:confused3

:thumbsup2

Okay, I went back through and read all your posts again. You are right that I was trying to connect some dots in my brain that were maybe not there. Otherwise here is hwat I get:

2 Everywhere includes many places in both the US and Canada and everyone is always welcoming of your well behaved kids.

3. Americans dislike kids and prefer to not be around them and this attitude is different in Canada and Nothern Europe (how this relates to your kids always being welcomed in over 35 US states is a bit of a mystery to me).

I do not really see how much of anything in your posts relates to diapers or changing tables at all :confused3

So you feel it should be demanded of them (required of them) by law. I totally disagree. I do not feel that a movie theatre, a place whose very nature does NOT offer any product or service intended for children too young to stand up for diaper changes, a place where the presence of such children is very often distracting and not to be encouraged, should be required to offer any sort of convenience for those who bring their very young children there anyway.

Ummmm I think I love you :flower3:

You're exhausted. Go to bed.

But what if they don't want your baby there? Why should they be required to put a changing station in their bathroom?
I think that if a restaurant has a printed and viable "children's menu", then they should have a means for parents to change diapers in one or both of the restrooms.

If they don't, then they should proactively make it known that "children are not welcome here" (although hopefully in a much less blunt way).

:earsboy:

I think that if a restaurant has a printed and viable "children's menu", then they should have a means for parents to change diapers in one or both of the restrooms.

If they don't, then they should proactively make it known that "children are not welcome here" (although hopefully in a much less blunt way).

:earsboy:

That seems fair:thumbsup2

The only other concern is with liability. Like a previous poster said, some places don't install changing stations b/c parents don't watch their children and they roll off. All of a sudden, restaurants are being sued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter