Is i a crime to wear sweatpants to school?

Thanks everyone. Trying to teach her not to care. I think she was just taken aback by this girl who she is normally friends with. FWIW, they were clean, cute sweats and she only wears them once or twice a week. I like that she can look fab one day and is comfortable dressing down the next. I think her "friend" saw a chance to feel bigger by being a snot. There are some issues with both of them being on the same athletic team. The other girl is a star athlete and DD has come into her own this year. She's still not near this girl, but has improved tremendously so is getting a little of the "spotlight" her friend normally had to herself. I'm wondering if that's an issue.

Oh, it's middle school. WTH cares!

Depending on the type / fit of the pants the "friend" may well have been correct....at least in her opinion of how she was dressed.

If your daughter doesn't mind wearing them (and they aren't against dress code) then she has to decide if she feels ok wearing them and perhaps having other people see her that way. She has to be the one to weigh their comfort vs other's feelings about how she's dressed.

That said ---no matter what she wears, there is probably going to be someone that thinks the clothing is too tight, loose, dark, light, conservative, ****ty, expensive, cheap,etc......You're dealing with teen girls after all.

edit to add - the filter her on the DIS is a funny thing. I'd never in a million years guessed the word I typed that was turned into **** would have been filterd.

Crime? No.

However, I think there are better "comfy" pants that look less sloppy than sweatpants.

I practially lived and still do in my sweat pants and sweat shirt. I know in College on clinical days all I wanted was my nice warm sweats after the freezing walk from clinical to car or school. I'd say 90% of us nurses to be were in sweats/sweatshirts by the time we got to lecture class.

Growing up my parents never let us leave the house if we were wearing sweat pants or pj bottoms (obviously unless the situation called for them - like sports practice.) So when I see someone in sweat pants or pj pants out and about now, I do think they look lazy. I would never verbalize that, but that's the instant judgement I have.

It's not that difficult to throw on a pair of jeans instead of sweat pants.

Tough lesson to learn, but people do make initial judgments based on how you're dressed. So whenever I'm leaving the house, it doesn't matter what for (again, with the exception of working out or playing sports) I will always try to put my best foot forward. And that means make-up, hair done, and dressed properly.

I don't understand your comparison between her friend telling her that and you asking if it is a crime, but I can understand why people might think that. We weren't allowed to wear pajamas to HS (or MS), I can't imagine going to class and see people wearing pajamas, IMO that is just disrespectful and tacky that kids can't even get themselves properly deessed for class. If they saw you wearing pajamas, you'd get detention and tey made you change clothes or your parent had to pick you up. Sweatpants were allowed at my HS for girls on days we had PE.

Crime? No.

However, I think there are better "comfy" pants that look less sloppy than sweatpants.

Agreed. In my dd's public high school, sweatpants and yoga pants were forbidden except during PE. Kids would show up in them and be sent home with a lecture that they looked like bums or slobs and like you don't take your education seriously if you can't even put on a pair of jeans. So that mindset is certainly out there.

This girl, therefore, is not alone in her belief that sweatpants in public makes you look like a slob. A person wearing sweats in public has to decide that their comfort is worth more than the negative opinions they garner.

Trying to teach her not to care. I think she was just taken aback by this girl who she is normally friends with. FWIW, they were clean, cute sweats and she only wears them once or twice a week. I like that she can look fab one day and is comfortable dressing down the next. I think her "friend" saw a chance to feel bigger by being a snot. There are some issues with both of them being on the same athletic team. The other girl is a star athlete and DD has come into her own this year. She's still not near this girl, but has improved tremendously so is getting a little of the "spotlight" her friend normally had to herself. I'm wondering if that's an issue.
You're really painting this other girl with a very negative brush and assigning her motives that may not exist. She may have said your dd looks like a slob because that's simply what she thinks.

Tactful? No.
Truthful? Quite possibly.

I think it's entirely possible that this girl could just have foot in mouth disease without being out to deliberately torpedo self esteem. I have a friend, for example, who has this annoying habit of commenting on everyone's hairstyle. "Wow, your hair looks great today/Bad hair day?" She's never wrong in her estimation, but I've said to her more than once, "Did I ASK for your opinion?" My friend is a lovely person who is a rock in times of trouble and a ton of fun, but she can't seem to stop making the hair critiques. Doesn't mean she has an ulterior motive, but it does mean she lacks tact. I can either shrug it off or get upset. My choice.

Something doesn't have to be a crime for someone to have a negative opinion about it. If they aren't against the school dress code it isn't even a violation. Your daughter's friend is allowed the opinion that dressing in sweatpants in public makes her look like a bum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Exactly.

If the OP is looking for opinions I will give mine - I think most people wearing sweats in public look flumpy. Some warm up type pants are not as bad but still not something I personally consider a positive fashion statement. I also think that anyone wearing pajamas in public looks flumpy, more so than someone wearing sweats.

Just asking because I don't see anything wrong with it (not that I'm a great dresser), but DD13 was devastated when a friend told her she looked like a bum for wearing sweats last week. She does wear them once or twice a week - she's an athlete. But she isn't confined to sweats. I went through the whole "don't let them get you down" stuff with her. But it did get me wondering if people have issues with sweats at school.

Lots of the kids wear sweats (and pajama pants. :rotfl:) here. They don't technically violate the dress code, so they aren't stopped from doing so.

If your child is upset that her friends tell her she looks like a bum, then she has two choices: 1. deal with it or 2. don't wear the sweatpants.

My child wears what she wants and is comfortable in. None of her friends ridicule her for her choice in clothing (generally tank top or tshirt, hoodie, jeans, converse or fake uggs). If they did, she would tell them to stop it.

Trying to teach her not to care. I think she was just taken aback by this girl who she is normally friends with.

Why would she be? I would expect my friends to tell me if they thought I looked sloppy or like a bum. I might not agree with them but I wouldn't be upset at them for voicing their opinion. I can't imagine anyone's opinion of my clothing choices "devastating" me and that was true when I was a kid and teen as well. I always went with what I liked and never cared what anyone else thought.

I do think it looks a little sloppy but I ALSO think that school is not about fashion but instead learning...

Thanks everyone. Trying to teach her not to care. I think she was just taken aback by this girl who she is normally friends with. FWIW, they were clean, cute sweats and she only wears them once or twice a week. I like that she can look fab one day and is comfortable dressing down the next. I think her "friend" saw a chance to feel bigger by being a snot. There are some issues with both of them being on the same athletic team. The other girl is a star athlete and DD has come into her own this year. She's still not near this girl, but has improved tremendously so is getting a little of the "spotlight" her friend normally had to herself. I'm wondering if that's an issue.

Oh, it's middle school. WTH cares!

That sums it up! Middle school girls can be so nasty!

Bottom line is that it seems this other girl has a rudeness problem. That's a much bigger issue than the wearing of sweat pants.

My daughter wears PINK sweats stuff all the time - she's a gymnasts she lives in that and Uggs, and if anyone has anything to say about I'm sure she lets them have it. I know I wouldn't cross her she has more muscles then a football player LOL :cool1:

Why would she be? I would expect my friends to tell me if they thought I looked sloppy or like a bum. I might not agree with them but I wouldn't be upset at them for voicing their opinion. I can't imagine anyone's opinion of my clothing choices "devastating" me and that was true when I was a kid and teen as well. I always went with what I liked and never cared what anyone else thought.

That's because you weren't a teenage GIRL.

When I tell DS17 that sweat pants look sloppy for school..he tells me, "Haters gonna hate.". He wears them very occasionally...whatever.

I keep hearing that but all that tells me is that girls are unable to think for themselves or do what they want without consulting the herd. I find that sad and an indication of weakness. I think the same thing when I hear how girls are overly effected by the media. Think for yourself. I didn't let the television or celebrities effect my self-esteem or self-image one tiny bit as a kid, tween, or teen and that shouldn't be different just because of your gender.

When I tell DS17 that sweat pants look sloppy for school..he tells me, "Haters gonna hate.". He wears them very occasionally...whatever.

See, it appears women (or girls) are capable of thinking for themselves.

I was and I would not be "devestated" at someone telling me I looked like a bum in sweatpants. Chances are I would have agreed with them and said that I just didn't feel like putting an effort into picking out what to wear today so I just put on something comfy.

It's not something I ever did, but I am the type that pretty much won't leave the house without make-up, etc.

It was really common in my MS/HS though. Other girls wore them all the time, but not the baggy Hanes type. It was always the "nicer" types, like VS Pink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter