Is i a crime to wear sweatpants to school?

castleview

I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown
Just asking because I don't see anything wrong with it (not that I'm a great dresser), but DD13 was devastated when a friend told her she looked like a bum for wearing sweats last week. She does wear them once or twice a week - she's an athlete. But she isn't confined to sweats. I went through the whole "don't let them get you down" stuff with her. But it did get me wondering if people have issues with sweats at school.

I see kids all the time at our high school in sweats. Some look really nice (the type of sweats they wear) but others look like they slept in them and crawled out of bed and went to school (the ratty looking ones).

I don't like my boys to wear them but if they do they are more the warm-up type ones (not the grey sweat type but more of track suit pants ---either Adidas or Nike).

My dd says that some kids come to school in their PJ pants, and sweats.
I don't see an issue with wearing sweats, as long as they are clean and hole free. What is the difference between wearing those in the cooler weather and wearing knit, soffees or sport shorts in the warm weather?

Something doesn't have to be a crime for someone to have a negative opinion about it. If they aren't against the school dress code it isn't even a violation. Your daughter's friend is allowed the opinion that dressing in sweatpants in public makes her look like a bum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I don't have an issue. My mom always did and my brother went through a sweats wearing stage (in the 80s) and my mom would NOT let him wear them to school. She gets on me for what my kids wear to school. She think kids should dress up...that dressing up makes them take school more seriously like you would a job...going in PJs or sweats makes you have a too laid back attitude about school. She thinks school should be looked at like a job (and your teachers are your bosses) and not like laying on your sofa at home while watching TV. I just think that what my kids wear is not a battle I want to fight...there are more important battles to me.

I think it looks pretty sloppy, and this is from a mom whose daughter wore sweatpants to school every day last year.

The other kid said your dd looked like a bum, not that it was a crime.

The other kid could have probably made her point a little more politely than by saying your dd looked liked a bum for wearing sweat pants, though.

If it's not against school policy to wear sweat pants, then I see nothing wrong with it, unless they have big holes, or something like that all over them.

When I was in high school, if one of our friends wanted to have what we called a "lazy day" at school (t-shirt, wind pants or sweatpants, hair in a ponytail), we would call up the rest of our friends and we would all dress that way. We figured that if one person dressed that way, it looked unkempt and lazy. If the whole group did it, it looked fun and coordinated.

At the school where I taught, athletic shorts and sweatpants were against the dress code.

Just asking because I don't see anything wrong with it (not that I'm a great dresser), but DD13 was devastated when a friend told her she looked like a bum for wearing sweats last week. She does wear them once or twice a week - she's an athlete. But she isn't confined to sweats. I went through the whole "don't let them get you down" stuff with her. But it did get me wondering if people have issues with sweats at school.

Hmm... they're popular around here, and for the cost of them, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister, Nike, Under Amour, Justice, Limit Too, when my girls were little) I don't think a "bum" could afford them. Sports teams still choose to order them.

I will say, when my girls were in MS & HS, I think the whole idea was to look like a bum, so to speak. They were trying to make the statement... I don't care what I look like... when, of course they did. Freshly washed hair, perfectly combed into a "sloppy bun," make-up applied, carefully choosing expensive matching clothes to go with their $50 sweats and or hoodies, etc. "The look" says, I look good when I'm not even trying. :rotfl:

Both my sons, 6th and 9th grade, throw on sweats about once a week.

I'm okay with the "comfy look," however, I HATE when I see people, children included, out and about in pajama pants. Saw a young mother in Walmart just yesterday, walking around in pajama pants. The bottoms of the pants were filthy and she did look like she had just rolled out of bed. Gross.

Does your daughter like them? Is she comfortable? Then, I'm with you, she should ignore it.

Some women don't walk out of their house without makeup on. I find makeup annoying and irritating to my skin. I only wear it for special occasions when I really get dressed up.
Should I wear makeup every day just because other people think I look less than my best? Eh, I'll pass. Life's too short to spend it trying to please "everyone else."

Do I have issues with sweats at school? Nope. My dd will wear them on standarized test days.

I do have to say that I do not understand why "being an athlete" is a reason to wear sweats. It is just as easy to put on jeans.

Sweats do look sort of "bummy" for a girl. I think that is something you are not going to escape in HS. Some folks are picky on appearance.

Hmm... they're popular around here, and for the cost of them, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister, Nike, Under Amour, Justice, Limit Too, when my girls were little) I don't think a "bum" could afford them. Sports teams still choose to order them.

:lmao:

A few years ago I got some really great University of Dayton Under Armour sweatpants to match one of my UD UA sweatshirts. Normally I would only wear sweats around the house, but I had to go to the grocery and it was cold so I put on my sweats and my furry boots. I looked in the mirror and thought, "am I really going out of the house like this?" Then I realized I was wearing $300 worth of clothes and shoes, so out the door I went. :rotfl:

OP, as long as the sweats were cute and not sloppy or pajama-ish then your DD has nothing to worry about. :thumbsup2

I think it depends on the kind of sweatpants. Some of them look fine and are a complete outfit and some do look sloppy. But I wouldnt get upset over it.

This reminds me of an incident with my DD when she was a HS Jr. She wore a pair of new pajama pants that one of her teacher's mother gave to her. They had little scotty dogs on them and she thought they were cute. And she doesn't care what anybody thinks about what she wears. So she walks in to English and the teacher (not the same teacher)takes one look at her and says, "go to the office." Apparently, if they had been plaid they would have been ok but little scotty dogs were not. :confused3 But it is ok to wear jeans cut so low you can see their crack or their thong underwear! :rotfl:

It's not a crime. But, fair or not, a certain percentage of the population is going to 'judge' if you wear sweatpants in public. Up to your DD to decide whether she cares about their opinion or not. It's easy to say 'not' but is she ever going to be asking teachers that saw her wear sweatpants to school for recommendations, etc?

This is why I absolutely LOVE school uniforms!!!

With that said, I think there is nothing wrong with wearing sweatpants to school if they are clean and hole free. Both my high schooler and 4th grader wear them on dress down days.

When my DH (49) went to public school his dad would not allow him to wear jeans to school. He had to wear khaki docker type pants. Thank goodness DH was captain of the baseball team or he would have probably gotten grief.

I don't think it was right for her "friend" told her she looked like a slob - a real friend would find a nicer way to say it, and wouldn't say it just for the sake of putting your daughter down.

That being said, I do think it's kind of sloppy to wear sweatpants of any kind out of the house or the gym. I see girls in yoga pants with uggs... boys in Abercrombie sweats and flip flops, etc.. etc..

We have a very strict dress code at our public school the only days they can wear sweats are on gym days... I on the other hand wear them just about everyday.. Judge me all you want I dont care my butt is comfy in them and I have no one to impress at the bus stop.

My 15 year old will wear them to school. No comments here. And if they did she wouldn't care. Her's are those hollister ones. I don't know if style of sweat would make a difference in her school?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter