Is anyone getting as turned off as I am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal has Starbucks too.

I am not a coffee drinker so I dont have a dog in this fight, but I dont think it is Starbucks presence in the parks so much as them taking over the Main St Bakery. I think if they sold the coffee elsewhere in MK and in the other parks, I dont think is would have such an effect on people.

But I could be wrong

I just saw something on Twitter (which may or may not be accurate) that said Valet pricing is now based on length of stay: 0-2 hours: $10; 2-3 hours: $15; 3+ hours: $20. Maybe that's what PP was referring to?

That was discussed on the DISUnplugged podcast..either today's or last week's

Not being able to sit down and eat without having a reservation 180 in advance.

Who actually has this problem? Unless it's at the Magic Kingdom which only has 6 restaurants. And even then you only need 180 for sure to get two of them.

Sometimes it sounds like folks thing the only two options are 1) make ALL your meal reservations at 180 days or 2) walk up to the restaurants for every meal. You can do all kinds of things. And yes some restaurants will take walk-ins. Maybe not the one you wanted to go to at the moment, but it's not that you have to make every single one of your reservations at 180 days out or have counter service for your entire trip.

I agree the Starbucks thing is probably all about the Main Street Bakery, which didn't mean all that much to me so it doesn't bother me - I didn't go there before and I don't go there now. Nobody's yelling about Starbucks replacing Fountain View at Epcot.

I don't understand people who say they hate "planning" their vacations. I mean I understand if you're local and you can pop over to WDW whenever you want...that should be an easy laidback experience. But the idea of flying (or driving a long, long distance) and wanting to just "wing it" boggles my mind.

We fly in, and we don't want to "wing it", but we don't want to plan it down to "what rides when" level. We have for our upcoming trip, because I understand that this is what is happening at Disney now, and I'm adapting - but it's not how I *prefer* to prepare for my vacation.

Planning which days I go to which parks in order to best avoid crowds? Yep, sure. ADRs 180 days in advance? Annoying, but when it becomes the only way to eat at a place we love, then yes we'll do it. Knowing I want to see ETWB at 1:30 on Friday, November 7th when it's September 8th? This is where the planning is too much.

I had a lot more *fun* planning our trips when it was just figure out which park on which day and where to eat our 1 sit down meal of the day. Trying to figure out what rides 3 different adults would want to do 2 months ahead of time (when said adults are in different states, especially), was not fun. It wasn't a disaster or anything - but it wasn't fun.

One thing for FL local Off Kilter fans: They perform at the Highland Festival by Sanford/Winter Springs area. So you can still see them there!

With a few exceptions, they stopped doing festivals many years ago. Hopefully that will change once they are no longer with Disney and need the work.

Hmm...really? I've gotten lots of surveys from them over the years too and they were usually wondering if I knew about the luau or how great was our resort. Or of course wondering not if, but how much do I love the app ;)

I've gotten lots of "how did you like this or that" questions also. But I've more than once gotten questions about how long we were in the area and what other parks we went to during that time. It truly isn't new.

I won't say that I am done with Disney, but we are definitely spacing out our trips and exploring other options for our vacation time and money- which isn't a bad thing. I still enjoy WDW, but all the little changes add up and it isn't the "be all end all" it once was for me. It's now just one of the many places I enjoy visiting.

I completely agree with the OP. Disneyworld has gone downhill for the last several years. I'm sure that people who are making their first trip to WDW are thrilled at what they see. But the old timers who "knew" how wonderful it used to me, are just getting more and more disappointed.

The restaurants were really something special 5 to 10 years ago. Service was always top rate any where you went in the world. Now it's the same as everywhere else.

I used to go to experience new attractions and have a nice vacation and some good meals. Well, there are fewer attractions now than ever and you have to use a FP or wait in line forever. Food is just like what you can get at Denny's only so much more expensive.

My last trip was in October 2013 and for the first time, there was little enjoyment in it. I hated having to watch the time frequently so I wouldn't miss my FP time. No seats on buses and always having to stand when you are so tired to begin with. It is so different now.

I'm going to Disneyland for the first time in 30 years. I grew up on Ball Road only a mile or so away from Disneyland in the 50's and 60's. I want to see it before it gets messed up with all these "improvements". And next year, it's a cruise to Hawaii. But no more WDW for me until something changes.

And no, it isn't because I don't like change. I don't mind change and I fully expect Disney World to change. Not a coffe drinker and can't say I had every been in the Main Street Bakery, so can't comment on that one either way.

I do understand changing the performers in EPCOT. I also understand their fans are going to miss them and don't want to see them go. The replacements better be at least as good as the outgoing acts. That is called change for the better.

I am not a fan of FastPass+ for many of the same reasons listed. I am the planner of all of our trips. I would have our park days planned out but the plan was always open for adjustment. We tried the dining plan several times but stopped doing the dining plan because we didn't like being locked into a park with our meal reservations. I don't want to be locked into a park because of my fastpasses either. Yes, I can go without getting fastpasses. But, the new system has increased the lines at the other rides so I get to ride fewer of them. Before, I could get fastpasses or ride the rides without excessive waits. Can't do that now.

I waited to make up my mind until I tried it. Well, I tried it and we rode fewer rides during our trip with the FastPass+. That is a pretty good sign to me that it isn't in my best interest. Since it's my money, that is the only opinion I need. Under the old system, we did need fast passes for some of the rides, such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin, Test Track, Tower of Terror, Toy Story, and Expidition Everest. This trip, the new system made other rides, such as Haunted Mansion, Pirates and even Spaceship Earth much longer. We used to have 15 to 20 minute waits for those rides. This time, it was 45 minutes.

The magic bands are neither here nor there for me. I won't wear one for the same reason I don't wear a watch at Disney World. It makes my wrist sweat and after a week of that, I end up with a rash. My family won't either, for the same reason - not because we don't like change. I end up having to shove four magic bands in my pocket instead of four credit card size tickets. But then again, Disney couldn't try and sell me cute little charms to put on my credit card ticket now could they?

I am not dillusional that Disney does everything they do for my benefit. They don't. But then again, I have been going to Disney long enough that I remember when the draw of Disney World was the service I received. My family likes to tour the parks a certain way. In order for us to enjoy it and feel like it is still a value, (and I mean value and not price), we would have to be able to continue to tour that way. If we can't, we are more than happy to move on. I am not speaking for anyone but my family as I understand that everyone is different.

Who actually has this problem? Unless it's at the Magic Kingdom which only has 6 restaurants. And even then you only need 180 for sure to get two of them.

Sometimes it sounds like folks thing the only two options are 1) make ALL your meal reservations at 180 days or 2) walk up to the restaurants for every meal. You can do all kinds of things. And yes some restaurants will take walk-ins. Maybe not the one you wanted to go to at the moment, but it's not that you have to make every single one of your reservations at 180 days out or have counter service for your entire trip.

I agree the Starbucks thing is probably all about the Main Street Bakery, which didn't mean all that much to me so it doesn't bother me - I didn't go there before and I don't go there now. Nobody's yelling about Starbucks replacing Fountain View at Epcot.

For some places and for certain times of year, it is NECESSARY to make your ADRs 180 days in advance if you want to eat there. If it wasnt necessary, than there would not be ADR cancellation threads. There would not be people posting on here and Facebook etc, that they cant book Chef Mickey, now sometimes you can let them know that they can see Mickey at Garden Grill or elsewhere but if they want to eat at Chef Mickey than it is necessary. We always go around the first week of Christmas and we always booked our ADRs at 180 days because as you get closer and the CP packages are released we found availability to be limited if we wanted to switch things around. In all our trips we have never successfully be able to walk up and get a reservation. I also have picky eaters so the fact that Morocco has openings doesnt mean much to us

Also I think if you travel during free dining than ADRs are harder to come by

We were at DHS in December 2007 and witnessed a party being told there was no more walk in availability for dinner that night at Mama Melrose's. And we were having a fairly early dinner so it's not like it was almost park closing and they were being told this. It wasn't Christmas week, either. We were there December 13-19th, and the crowds during that entire time were the lowest I have *ever* seen at Disney.

So yes, people not being able to walk-up to a TS restaurant and eat does happen, even when it isn't level 8-10 crowds.

I did. I've been going for years and twice I had the misfortune of going during free dining. No availability at MK for any restaurant, We left and ate off premises. Nothing at HS. We ate a less than stellar meal at the Commissary and paid way too much for mediocre food. Animal Kingdom was a little better. No restaurants open except Rainforest Cafe but that was something. Epcot is loaded so if you can't find anything decent to eat there you're not looking.

I'm disappointed in what I consider the attempts to control what people do, what they see, where they go and what they eat by forcing them to make advanced plans. I'm a wing it kind of person, and this trip is heavily planned because I'm taking my 2 little granddaughters. Hopefully the next trip I'll just wander aimlessly through the parks and do whatever I want.

As far as Avatarland? I can't wait! Then maybe I can get a FP for Anna and Elsa and walk into BOG. Or stand in a short line for the mine train. I'd like to see a whole new park for that matter. Then I can do the stuff I like to do while everyone is checking out the new place.

Maybe I'll stay offsite and get a throwaway room, maybe a cabin at Wilderness and make up a bunch of fake names so I can have a whole arm load of magic bands.
Yeah, the bending the rules thing does sort of bug me, but it's like my husband said; It's human nature. If you try to put restraints on people they will figure out a way to get around it. They can't help themselves.

I have been going to WDW since 1991 and every year since my daughter was born 1996. Over the years I have seen the prices skyrocket and the quality go down. I know things get more expensive, but the added hassle of FP+ put me over the edge. I don't want to be stuck in 1 park when with paper fast passes I could go to several. Also, it was bad enough having to decide 6 months out where to eat, but now I also have to decide what FP+ to choose. I am also the only planner for our house, so it gets really old , really fast. Also, before if it rained we could always head to a different spot, but now with dining reservations and FP reservations you are stuck. I also used to enjoy giving our paper fast passes to other families who were coming in to the park as we were leaving. FP+ magic bands have taken away that ability to make another family smile.
Finally, I never thought I'd say this, but with all the hoopla about the new Fantasyland, it's pretty, but quite small. I've gone over to the dark side I'm afraid and me and mine are heading to Harry Potter at Universal (first time for my DD and DS) they never wanted to leave WDW before. Sad.:sad:

It's funny, this thread. I was ready to start one four years ago. (And yet I'm going back to WDW this fall).

I'm still ready to start a thread, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the nickles and dimes stuff -- fastpasses, and what I can and can't do, and what's been charged, etc. My Disney doubts always strike at me in the more philosophical/ethical/political/personal sphere. What am I doing, indulging a taste for increasingly more poorly produced juvenilia and "no-brow" pablum? What does it mean that I subject myself to continued corporate maintenance of an original nostalgia trip that was socially questionable when it debuted a half decade ago? Who is that forty year old man child in the mirror and why cant he separate from something so clearly tied into the all-too-American race-to-the-lowest-common-denominator? It's a hullaballo inside my head. Freakin' fastpass reservations and food complaints? Chicken feed ... and not enough to severe the tether to that inexplicable Disneyland something that the corporate bean counters have yet to eradicate.
:happytv: Best answer yet!!

I often question how can I be so lured in so easily by the greatest American corporation ever, and then I turn to see the smile on my kid's face and I forget all about my thoughts. Yes, some things Team Disney Orlando does that drive me batty, but not enough to override the power of a child's smile. Sometimes that child is me.

Also I think if you travel during free dining than ADRs are harder to come by

Not harder- impossible.

If you don't book at the first available date- good luck.

We didn't decide to take our upcoming vacation until this summer. I've been checking daily to find an opening for anything- and I mean anything- ever since. Just one, not one every day, not a few- just one.

We finally got Prime Time at 4 pm- sigh......

I don't remember the last time you could just walk up to a restaurant without adr's....wait, yes I do...BEFORE free dining started.

Then again, the "nice" restaurants have frankly become pretty much crap since free dining began.

Have I said I hate free dining?

One thing I haven't read from the responses is any poor reaction to the removal of the drum corp in Epcot. To me and my family there is no prouder American moment in Epcot than to be standing in front of the American Adventure and hear the flutes and drums coming from around the corner. Then to say the Pledge of Allegiance. (Even though many in the crowd can't be bothered to get off their cell phones)
I really hope it gets replaced with something worthwhile......but then again.....this is now a society where being a proud American is not really p.c.
I am definitely not Mr. America, but I think the Fife and Drum should stay from a purely cultural perspective. Plus it's really cool.

I often question how can I be so lured in so easily by the greatest American corporation ever, and then I turn to see the smile on my kid's face and I forget all about my thoughts. Yes, some things Team Disney Orlando does that drive me batty, but not enough to override the power of a child's smile. Sometimes that child is me.

Absolutely! :thumbsup2

Just can't wait to get back down there and get the next AP going. :yay: , esp with summer over ...again. :badpc:

Can only hope the pricing and changes thin the herd-but am afraid it's only growing. :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter