Is anyone getting as turned off as I am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of people complaint that they don't get to ride as many rides because all of them have long wait times, like POTC "that we used to wait 10 minutes for" and blame it on FP+. I'm not sure I buy that connection. Disney has been reducing free dining and general discounts because people are booking without them, so it would stand to reason that it's because more people are visiting. Same with restaurants. It may not SEEM like crowds are bigger, but when ADRs and FP+ may be spreading them around(and the parks are huge in general), couldn't that be true?
I'm excited that now I can get a FP for TSM without going to HS first thing. Not quite so enthused that I have to schedule "back at the room time" more tightly. But it's a trade off. Now I now before I go when we can do what, instead of being at the mercy of whatever time the kiosk spit out at me on the same day.

I see a lot of people complaint that they don't get to ride as many rides because all of them have long wait times, like POTC "that we used to wait 10 minutes for" and blame it on FP+. I'm not sure I buy that connection. Disney has been reducing free dining and general discounts because people are booking without them, so it would stand to reason that it's because more people are visiting. Same with restaurants. It may not SEEM like crowds are bigger, but when ADRs and FP+ may be spreading them around(and the parks are huge in general), couldn't that be true?
I'm excited that now I can get a FP for TSM without going to HS first thing. Not quite so enthused that I have to schedule "back at the room time" more tightly. But it's a trade off. Now I now before I go when we can do what, instead of being at the mercy of whatever time the kiosk spit out at me on the same day.
Supposedly crowds haven't increased all that much but who knows? It stands to reason that FP+ could makes lines for other rides longer though. If someone has a FP+ for a ride what do they do until their time comes up? Wait in another line! How much of an impact that is having is of course hard to say.

* and now we're gonna have to start paying between 10 and 20 dollars just to park at Downtown Disney.
* oh, and Starbucks

The list goes on, but these are just a few at the tip of my fingers.
Sorry. Had to vent.

Did I miss something.....has it been announced that there will be a cost to park in DTD? I recall reading someone saying "next they'll charge for parking to shop at DTD", but I thought that was sarcasm, not reality.

We just returned from a mixed trip yesterday. It had been over 6 years since we had gone and our 6th trip overall (with kids)Our DD moved there so she is AP....so we had the opportunity to see how she tours parks vs those of us on short time.
1. Magic Band, like the convenience, dislike the $13 price for off site guests. An even $10 would be a little less painful. We did have a room booked for 1 night at each end of our trip (and we did use them, not throw away) so didn't pay for bands, but would not if only off site
2. FP+...Neither my DD as a local or us as travelers cared much for it, we prefer the legacy system. We experienced Labor Day weekend and then the very low crowds of the first week of Sept. I see it's value but the part about NOT being able to add until all 3 have been used, and the ap not working are very annoying. CM's at kiosks were pleasant but there are far too few stations. At one point when we were switching all for of us as a group from one ride to another, only 2 transferred over :confused3 and the CM's at the kiosks couldn't fix it and didn't know where to send us...finally we saw a CM near a kiosk wearing a white shirt instead of blue and she was the head honcho to fix it. We lost almost an hour trying to get it figured out tho.
3. Lack of performers and character strolling about is definitely a bummer and very noticeable to us. We used to always see characters on the entrance from the friendship boats at Epcot and didn't see any. The Frozen deal limiting the street performers at DHS to only 3 pm is really, really sad. DS was hugely disappointed in not seeing them due to having to work around the only avail FP times for headliners.
4.Prices are getting insane. The price of food and drinks is nuts. We split when we can and get free cups of ice water and we still found it very pricey.
The monorail hours being restricted was also a bummer. It was always nice to take a spin from MK-Epcot at the end of the night...not now.
Seeing the Main Street Bakery as a Starbucks was awful.:( Literally made me tear up even tho I knew it had occurred, seeing the change was hard.
5. ADR's....we only made 1 in advance for The Plaza the night of MNSSHP and we had a FP+ for BOG at lunch. We were able to walk in to Yak and Yeti and be seated at noon w/out an ADR, so that was great to have happen. In general tho, we dont like to waste a lot of time at TS places.
6. We managed to get a bit more than 1/2 done on this trip that in years past...and we did have magical moments. Our favorite part of our trip was MNSSHP as the CM interactions and pixie dust was over the top that night. It reminded us of how our trips used to be. DD as an AP sees it more positively as she is not under the pressure to fit everything in in a week or so...and she agrees that if she only had 1 week she would be so bummed.
7. Removing Drum and Fife, yep..insulting. Matter of fact the America section is quite boring and it is very unfortunate.
our orig plan was the parks only Labor Day weekend, but DS wanted to go back and get photos so we added 2 days (now THAT price I like, $20.25 incl tax each) so as we just milled about and made no FP+'S for rides, we had a much nicer time. We still rode however due to the fact that crowds were so low...but except for TSM, did stand by and had basically walk on for what we chose (including Soarin').
result? DD and I still want to hit the parks but DH and DS are done, unless DHS adds some amazing Star Wars stuff..THEN they will be back :laughing: The new Star Tours was one of our favorites this trip and did ride it maybe 4 or 5 times which was sweet.DD loves it, will continue to love it and says she has barely scratched the surface...I love the atmosphere, but yeah, done with the rides for the most part. I wish WDW would offer a non rider entry price of half or even 40% and that you are wrist banded or something. I know they have options for FL Residents for after 4 and the like, but for people like me who are getting turned off by the controlling ride planning still like the parks but it hurts to pay $100 a day when not riding. Our mantra this trip was The Mouse Likes Your Money...and we have never had that attitude before.
For the first time, a trip to WDW made us appreciate NON WDW trips that we have taken even more. It breaks my heart because now with our DD living there I love going with her and I hope to be able to continue to visit with her,,,but the $20 to park at DTD really, really stinks. Enough of taking away the free perks already.

It's funny, this thread. I was ready to start one four years ago. (And yet I'm going back to WDW this fall).

I'm still ready to start a thread, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the nickles and dimes stuff -- fastpasses, and what I can and can't do, and what's been charged, etc. My Disney doubts always strike at me in the more philosophical/ethical/political/personal sphere. What am I doing, indulging a taste for increasingly more poorly produced juvenilia and "no-brow" pablum? What does it mean that I subject myself to continued corporate maintenance of an original nostalgia trip that was socially questionable when it debuted a half decade ago? Who is that forty year old man child in the mirror and why cant he separate from something so clearly tied into the all-too-American race-to-the-lowest-common-denominator? It's a hullaballo inside my head. Freakin' fastpass reservations and food complaints? Chicken feed ... and not enough to severe the tether to that inexplicable Disneyland something that the corporate bean counters have yet to eradicate.

:lmao: YES!!

It's funny, this thread. I was ready to start one four years ago. (And yet I'm going back to WDW this fall).

I'm still ready to start a thread, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the nickles and dimes stuff -- fastpasses, and what I can and can't do, and what's been charged, etc. My Disney doubts always strike at me in the more philosophical/ethical/political/personal sphere. What am I doing, indulging a taste for increasingly more poorly produced juvenilia and "no-brow" pablum? What does it mean that I subject myself to continued corporate maintenance of an original nostalgia trip that was socially questionable when it debuted a half decade ago? Who is that forty year old man child in the mirror and why cant he separate from something so clearly tied into the all-too-American race-to-the-lowest-common-denominator? It's a hullaballo inside my head. Freakin' fastpass reservations and food complaints? Chicken feed ... and not enough to severe the tether to that inexplicable Disneyland something that the corporate bean counters have yet to eradicate.

Speaking for myself, I know I never really grew up. And I think that is a good thing. Being too "grown up" means taking yourself too seriously, and burying that inner child which is (or should be) in all of us. Disney parks are a place to put your worries behind you for a while, have fun and be a child again. People who sneer at that are boring and snobbish.

P.S.: I see you're in Gatineau. Not many Quebecers on this site, surprisingly.

Being someone who does not get to WDW but once every two years I have to say I like change once in a while. I do not like every change that has been made and some things I loved are now gone. But I do not want each trip to be a re-run of previous trips. To me going several times a year and doing and seeing the same things would be like going to watch the same movie over and over. People are afraid of change and what the changes may bring. And most are afraid to give change a chance. Let's face it most of us are not going to be around in 50-80 years therefore we are not the future generation of Disney guests. Disney needs to start gearing towards those future generations to keep them coming back and obviously they are not like us. They like different things.

I too am disappointed about the Fife and Drum ending. It always makes me feel so patriotic. I hope they can come up with something just as good but can not imagine what that would be.

As far as food in Disney, that is not what I go to Disney for. I go for the attractions, entertainment and overall atmosphere. If I want great meals I can stay at home and go out to eat each day at restaurants that have better food for the same or less money. I usually plan no more than 2 ADRs and eat counter service the rest of my meals. There are plenty of places that serve good food that is not fried food. That leaves more flexibility for changes in our plans.

This will be my first time using FP+ so I do not have any opinion on that right now. I am hoping I will like it.

Being someone who does not get to WDW but once every two years I have to say I like change once in a while. I do not like every change that has been made and some things I loved are now gone. But I do not want each trip to be a re-run of previous trips. To me going several times a year and doing and seeing the same things would be like going to watch the same movie over and over. People are afraid of change and what the changes may bring. And most are afraid to give change a chance. Let's face it most of us are not going to be around in 50-80 years therefore we are not the future generation of Disney guests. Disney needs to start gearing towards those future generations to keep them coming back and obviously they are not like us. They like different things.

I think that is a huge part of the problem, people are trying to re-create the magic of trips they had before. And so they dislike any change that makes that impossible. If little Timmy was over the moon at Off Kilter, they now know that won't be a moment they will have again, and that makes them sad.

Maybe my timing is just very off, but we hardly ever saw any of the acts in Epcot, and we spend a lot of time walking around the World Showcase. I can't even remember the last time we saw the Drum and Fife performance. Off Kilter I saw maybe 3 years ago. I can't cry over them changing or removing something that was hardly shown to begin with.

It is hard to move on from what was, and know that we won't have those same memories, but it is time to make new ones. Not repeat the old ones.

I think that is a huge part of the problem, people are trying to re-create the magic of trips they had before. And so they dislike any change that makes that impossible. If little Timmy was over the moon at Off Kilter, they now know that won't be a moment they will have again, and that makes them sad.

Maybe my timing is just very off, but we hardly ever saw any of the acts in Epcot, and we spend a lot of time walking around the World Showcase. I can't even remember the last time we saw the Drum and Fife performance. Off Kilter I saw maybe 3 years ago. I can't cry over them changing or removing something that was hardly shown to begin with.

It is hard to move on from what was, and know that we won't have those same memories, but it is time to make new ones. Not repeat the old ones.

Just because you didn't pick up a schedule and seek out those acts doesn't mean plenty of others don't.

And I don't think it's about people not wanting any change at all. How is it change when they remove the Lights of Winter and put nothing in its place? How is it change when they remove the Drum and Fife show and replace it with nothing? How many other acts in the World Showcase were removed in the last couple years with no replacement?

mom2rtk said:
Just because you didn't pick up a schedule and seek out those acts doesn't mean plenty of others don't.

And I don't think it's about people not wanting any change at all. How is it change when they remove the Lights of Winter and put nothing in its place? How is it change when they remove the Drum and Fife show and replace it with nothing? How many other acts in the World Showcase were removed in the last couple years with no replacement?

I agree. I think the comments about people being afraid of change can be a bit condescending at times. I'm fine with change. I'm not going to wdw to recreate the magic of previous trips. Aside from the fide and drum corps, I hadn't yet seen any of the epcot acts that were released, so it isn't like I'm tied to them.

I was, however, looking forward to an adults only food and wine trip where dh and I could partake of the kiosks and take in more of the entertainment options that we didnt get to do last year because Dd was with us. So yes, this change is now frustrating me not because the acts will be different, but because the new acts may very well not be in place yet at all on our trip. So now we have to prepare for the chance that the food and wine experience we've been looking forward to since march may now be very different.

As I've said before..it isn't change I take issue with. It's removing things and not replacing them with anything, yet continuing to increase prices. There are some changes I may not like (yes, fp+/mm+), but disliking *some* changes does not mean one dislikes *all* change.

I never said people didn't seek them out. But to the casual park goer, they were not all that accessible to begin with. And I didn't think the Lights of Winter were part of this conversation. But if people want to go back over things year by year then they are free to do so. It has been at least 5 years sense those were shown. I still miss the giant snowcaps Disney used to sell. Should I make that part of this conversation?

I do miss some of the things Disney has taken away. But I don't understand dwelling on them being gone. That doesn't help anything. Maybe Disney took some things away and didn't specifically replace them with something else, but Disney has been building and adding. It is not and has not been all take take take.

maxiesmom said:
I never said people didn't seek them out. But to the casual park goer, they were not all that accessible to begin with. And I didn't think the Lights of Winter were part of this conversation. But if people want to go back over things year by year then they are free to do so. It has been at least 5 years sense those were shown.

I do miss some of the things Disney has taken away. But I don't understand dwelling on them being gone. That doesn't help anything.

I don't think the pp is dwelling on them being gone. I think she's pointing out a recent track record Disney has of removing things and not replacing them. Changing things up is entirely different than removing things and not replacing them with *something*.

I don't think the pp is dwelling on them being gone. I think she's pointing out a recent track record Disney has of removing things and not replacing them. Changing things up is entirely different than removing things and not replacing them with *something*.

::yes::

People can keep posting that we are afraid of change, it still isn't going to make it true. And no, I am not trying to hold on to or recreate memories from past trips. My son was 3 1/2 when we took our first trip. He is 21 now. I don't think he would appreciate me making him ride around Magic Kingdom in a stroller. But keep saying it, maybe it will make it true.

I fully expect Disney World to change. I also fully expect those changes to be for the better. I expect them to enhance my experience, especially with the increased cost. A Disney World vacation has never been cheap and I have never expected it to be. I was willing to pay for it because it was a good value. It isn't any more. Not for my family. It may still be for yours. For us, other destinations have caught up to it in value.

THANK YOU!

I never said people didn't seek them out. But to the casual park goer, they were not all that accessible to begin with. And I didn't think the Lights of Winter were part of this conversation. But if people want to go back over things year by year then they are free to do so. It has been at least 5 years sense those were shown. I still miss the giant snowcaps Disney used to sell. Should I make that part of this conversation?

I do miss some of the things Disney has taken away. But I don't understand dwelling on them being gone. That doesn't help anything. Maybe Disney took some things away and didn't specifically replace them with something else, but Disney has been building and adding. It is not and has not been all take take take.

I do not believe any poster on this thread would mourn the loss of giant snowcaps. You know there is something to be said for traditions; they are the fabric of our society, and the presence of traditional happenings at Disney brought many of us great joy to be able to share Disney traditions with our loved ones. There is a world of difference between dwelling on a loss, and reminiscing, or expressing our disappointment about something that was important to our personal experience.

I think I would not miss the Lights of Winter so much if they had bothered to put up something equally festive.

BUT NO. That area is the black hole of Christmas nothing not even some festive trees or lights. One big tree but that whole bridge area in fact all of Future World looks so non-festive. Put up some dang lights, Disney. OR some DECORATIONS. Make it LOOK like CHRISTMAS.

People can keep posting that we are afraid of change, it still isn't going to make it true. And no, I am not trying to hold on to or recreate memories from past trips. My son was 3 1/2 when we took our first trip. He is 21 now. I don't think he would appreciate me making him ride around Magic Kingdom in a stroller. But keep saying it, maybe it will make it true.

I fully expect Disney World to change. I also fully expect those changes to be for the better. I expect them to enhance my experience, especially with the increased cost. A Disney World vacation has never been cheap and I have never expected it to be. I was willing to pay for it because it was a good value. It isn't any more. Not for my family. It may still be for yours. For us, other destinations have caught up to it in value.

We are going to DLR in December. Word is that they are adding a bunch of new Frozen stuff in DCA. And here I am looking forward to all of it. I'm so confused though. How can I be looking forward to that if I hate change so much?

I want change, and I want it badly.

I look at the projected shows like Muppets and Philharmagic and I think "my local theater has better pictures than this now, DISNEY NEEDS TO CHANGE IT.

I go on rides with broken animatronics and out of date technology, I think DISNEY NEEDS TO CHANGE IT.

I see what was supposed to be an awe inspiring vision of the future at attractions in Tomorrowland or Future World that became dated 10 years ago, I think DISNEY NEEDS TO CHANGE IT.

I see a princess musical or a stunt show I've seen a dozen times now, I think DISNEY NEEDS TO CHANGE IT.

I am not terribly nostalgic or sentimental and I know most people fall far to the other side of the curve, so I certainly understand why other people want to keep some of these things the same like a comfortable pair of shoes. But THAT's what being resistant to change means.

I like fsstpass+ worked well memorial day weekend. The downside is visiting with friends and family from different places and trying to tour as a group. Everyone with different tickets buying them at different times some on day of arrival. Cannot plan. Someone told me it is my fault the family is not able to coordinate not Disney's problem. Well I agree and that is why we won't be going as often.

It is sad that WDW changed something that worked well for all different family dynamics, now we are suppose to fit into a cookie cutter mold wherever everyone can know their 60 days ahead of time in order to enjoy the parks together. I thought WDW was about bringing families together not making it tough to do so

There is nothing wrong with change IF change is for the better. When I first heard about FP+, I thought cool, this is gonna be neat. Well then the implementation started and I went back to thinking wow, they fixed what really wasnt broken. They lost me when they started tiering, they lost me when they told me I could not get FPs for the same rides, they lost me when they treated Pop guests like second class citizens (and I have never stayed there), they lost me that we are not all on equal footing for the FPs, that onsite gets into the virtual line at 60 days, and they rest at 30 (and I am DVC so it is not like I am the one at the disadvantage, I just think it is wrong), they lost me when they did not communicate well to their guests during "testing". To me this system HAD potential and they dropped the ball.

They lost me when they started implemented the $10/person if you dont cancel within 24 hours. So I am being penalized for what other people did, charge for the true no shows. And if you think it has stopped people from making multiple ADRs, think again. They are still making them just cancelling slightly before or the day before. One lady on FB had 3 ADRS for BOG that her travel agent made. She went on and bragged about it, and said she would eventually cancel the others. People were annoyed that she was hoarding them, so this policy didnt solve anything in my opinion, this change was unnecessary.

I dont want change for change sake, I want change that will enhance the guest experience.

yikes! oKAY, i THOUGHT i WAS THE only one, but I guess I am in good company. First, from having read these boards, and then GONE back to Disney, the parks and the area, I am feeling about the same way. It's many t hings, cannot place my finger on one. But it encompasses much of what the posters here are saying. I have been going to Disney, consistently since 1972, and as recently as this past long weekend. I love it so much in my heart, and I don't want to feel like I do, but I've started to feel like this for a bit now.

Nope, not alone. I am done with Disney and am choosing to spend my vacation time and money elsewhere. I dislike that I really have to plan ahead just to visit for a day, the food is too expensive for what you get and there's really nothing new that excites me enough to go anymore. Just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter