"Is ABD worth the $$$?" Discussion thread

In general, I fully agree with this sentiment. In 4 out of 5 of our trips, our DS has made friends that he still keeps in contact with. However, I think you should also consider what happens when it doesn't quite go as you envisioned. On our last ABD, we had this. Basically, as our DS14 tried to hang with a group of 6 other teens, he was essentially told by one of the other boys, that the teen group is these 3 boys and these 3 girls, and that was it. He should find another group to hang out with. He had about a 36 hour period of feeling bad, then one morning woke up and said to us that he came to experience Australia first and foremost. It was disappointing that he wasn't going to become friends with the other teens, but experiencing the country was why we went on the ABD. So, he hung with us and got to know alot of the other adults. There were some awkward moments along the way as the guides seemed to cater to the gang of 6, but overall he thoroughly enjoyed the Australia experience. My point in sharing this, is that you have to know how your child would handle a situation like this. I know for him, at 14 he was able to rationalize his priority. If this would have happened on a previous trip when he was 11 or 12, he would have been miserable. Again, for the most part we have had wonderful groups of kids, but don't always assume it will be that way. It can be 80% of the time, but be aware of how you would handle that 1 in 5 times where it may not be so great and your child may feel left out.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your son was able to figure it out in his head, and deal with it. Teens can be cruel, and you're right, even ABD is not immune to that.

I'm curious if you ever discussed this with the Guides? Were they aware he'd been ostracized from the group of 6, and not just choosing to hang with you guys?

Sayhello

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your son was able to figure it out in his head, and deal with it. Teens can be cruel, and you're right, even ABD is not immune to that.

I'm curious if you ever discussed this with the Guides? Were they aware he'd been ostracized from the group of 6, and not just choosing to hang with you guys?

Sayhello
Didn't overtly discuss with the guides. At one point, one of the guides asked him to get in a photo with the other 6 and he said something like I don't think they want me in their picture. They never followed up on the comment. We dropped a couple of hints that he's always made friends on these trips and even other group tours with other tour operators, but the guides didn't really ask the follow up questions. At the end of the day, we weren't going to force anything, and I don't think the guides really wanted to pursue it either. As he said, it was a great trip except for the social aspect of it. For us, the experience de-emphasizes the importance of the social aspect of being with other kids, which had been one of our main reasons for selecting ABD, and opens up more options around travelling on our own or doing more adventure based travel (my sense is he is kind of growing out of the ABD experience and wants to do more active types of adventures).

Wondering has anyone ever estimated the broken down cost of what you get with an ABD? So - $X worth for the hotels, $X for the meals, $X for the activities, $X for the guides?

The first time I saw the price for an ABD my eyes bugged out. :laughing: But the more I read on here (very helpful for planning DIY trips :)), the more I think maybe one day.... I like how the kids form their own group and do kid friendly activities while the adults tour something else.

I'm actually thinking of going to Alaska in 2019, I will price out and compare a sample itinerary later today and update.

we just finished Adults only Greece trip. My two thoughts were:
1. Can anyone do a better job than this?
2. Is Disney really making money on this trip?
I am a DVC member using points. I guess my perspective would be different
if I am paying cash.

we just finished Adults only Greece trip. My two thoughts were:
1. Can anyone do a better job than this?
2. Is Disney really making money on this trip?

We are signed up for the Adults only Sept 2018 Greece trip. I am curious how many people were in your group and if there were any younger adults. Our two adult children (in their 20's) will be traveling with us. How was the weather in September?

we were 32+1, +1 was a Disney executive traveling with us to fine tune this trip. No younger adults, but your children will easily meld in.
Weather was perfect. 65-70 all the time. Zero humidity. It was like doing the whole trip in AC.
I will post a mini cheat sheet for future adventurers.

UPDATE ON THE ALASKA TRIP PRICING COMPARISON

ABD Alaska
July 16-23, 2018
$5,099 pp x2 = $10,198 for 2 people, 1 room

Hotels:

All hotels assume 1 Queen/King or 2 doubles, whichever is cheaper, and double occupancy.

Anchorage Marriott Downtown, 1 night = $359.95+$43.19 tax = 403.14

Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge, 1 night = $336 + $16.80 tax = $352.80

Grand Denali Lodge, 2 nights = $479x2 + 7% tax = $1,025.06

The Hotel Alyeska, 3 nights = $389x3 + tax = $1,337.04

Hotel Total = $3,118.04

Transportation:

Since there basically isn't any public transportation in the area, I will use the price for a rental car instead:

Pickup and Return at ANC Airport from July 16 to July 23 = $650 + gas, approximately $706

Meals (all prices are for 2):

Day 1:
Welcome Dinner at Bridge Seafood: Prices not listed, based on reviews about $90

Day 2:
Breakfast at hotel: $38
Private BBQ Lunch: $30 (estimate)
Dinner at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge: $130

Day 3
Breakfast at Talkeetna Roadhouse: $30
Lunch: Included in train ride, see below
Dinner at Alpenglow Restaurant: $140

Day 4
Breakfast at Alpenglow: $50
Lunch at Denali Park Salmon Bake: $80
Dinner on your own

Day 5
Breakfast at Alpenglow: $50
Lunch at Pizza Thyme: $60
Dinner on your own

Day 6
Breakfast at hotel: $50
Lunch on your own
Dinner included in Rafting Tour, see below

Day 7
Lunch on your own
Farewell Dinner at Hotel Alyeska: $150

Day 8

Total for all meals: $998

Activities:

Day 1
N/A

Day 2
Alaska Native Heritage Center: $50
Bike and Kayak Rental: $170

Day 3
Alaska Railroad Goldstar Car: $442

Day 4
Canyon Water Run Rafting: $194

Day 5
Happy Trails Kennels Dog Sledding Tour/Demonstration: Price not available, but since there is no sled ride included, estimate at $40

Day 6
Gold Panning: $40
Spencier Glacier Float Trip and Dinner: $853.04

Day 7
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: $34

Day 8

N/A

Total for all activities: $1,823.04

Summary:
Lodging: $3,118.04
Transportation: $706
Meals: $998
Activities: $1,823.04

Grand Total: $6,645.08

Price difference: $10,198 - $6,645.08 = $3,552.92

Things included in ABD but not included in booking on your own:

2 Guides familiar with the area acting as your personal concierge
Luggage service at all hotels and the airport
Private transportation that does not involve driving yourself
Several private meals at the restaurants mentioned above
Separate activities for children

Because this trip involves so many outdoor activities, it can be exhausting, so don't underestimate the value of things like charter buses and luggage service. Alaska is beautiful, but the weather and nature is unforgiving, even in the summer, so having local guides and organized outdoor activities feels much safer than just showing up and doing some hikes on your own. This is especially true in Denali, where there are very few hiking trails, and the ones that exist are somewhat extreme (the park encourages off-trail hiking, so they don't disturb the wildlife too much). I personally feel like I would want to spend more time on my own in untouched nature than doing organized activities, so I don't think this trip is for me. However, if you want a hassle free, safe way to see the wonder that is Alaska, then the activities they have planned are pretty spectacular. This is also great for varying ages of kids, since most activities are not too strenuous, or there are alternatives.

Biggest tip: make sure to make use of the on your own time in Denali. The park offers buses that take you deep into the park, where you'll get spectacular views of the mountains and possibly see bears, wolves, and moose in the wild. I don't think 2 afternoons is enough time to properly see the park, so maybe consider extending your trip by taking the train from Girdwood to Denali, or renting a car at the airport to explore the state park.

UPDATE ON THE ALASKA TRIP PRICING COMPARISON

Grand Total: $6,645.08

Price difference: $10,198 - $6,645.08 = $3,552.92

Thank you, this is great! So that comes out to $220/person/day (using 8 days) for the guides, driver, and extras/intangibles.

I keep trying to justify an ABD but I just can't seem to.

I travel quite a bit with adventure travel companies - something I love - and a lot of the pros of ABD seem to be the things I already love about the adventure tours I take. Unique experiences, local guides, immersion in the culture and unique cultural experiences. The difference is that I end up paying a couple thousand less.

Has anyone done both? Adventure tours and ABD? Is there something I'm missing that tips the scale?

I had enough fun with the Alaska trip I did some more research:

ABD Italy, July 27 through August 3, 2018
$5,099 per adult x 2 = $10,198

Hotels:

All hotels assume 1 Queen/King or 2 doubles, whichever is cheaper, and double occupancy.

Gran Melia Rome Hotel, including breakfast, 2 nights = $1,112.73

Hotel Borgo di Cortefreda, including breakfast, 3 nights = $498

Hilton Molino Stucky, 2 nights = $651.41

Hotel Total = $2,262.14

Transportation:

This gets tricky. On the Alaska trip I assumed a rental car because there isn't much public transit. This time I'll try to use busses, trains, and metros, or a private car when applicable.

Transfer from Rome airport to hotel: $61.60

48 hour bus/metro pass in Rome: $14.58

1st class train from Rome to Orvieto: $22 x 2 = $44

1st class train Orvieto to Florence: $39.80 x 2 = $79.60

Since the hotel is in a very rural area, we'll rent a car again in Florence.

Rental car, automatic, for 3 days, plus estimated $50 for gas = $236.43

Car takes care of all transportation in rural Italy

1st class train, Florence to Venice: $83.66

2 Day Vaporetto Pass: $34.96 x 2 = $69.92

Boat transfer from Venice to Airport: $17.48 x 2 = $34.96

Transportation Total: $624.75

Day 1
Welcome Dinner at Hotel: $174.71

Day 2
Breakfast included in hotel
Lunch at local restaurant: Estimated $60
Dinner on your own

Day 3
Lunch at local restaurant in Orvieto: Estimated $60
Dinner at Ristorante Cortefreda: $111.82

Day 4
Lunch at Fattoria Poggio Alloro: $228.29
Dinner in a Castello: Can't find any prices, estimate $200

Day 5
Lunch on your own in Florence
Dinner on your own in Florence

Day 6
Boxed lunch onboard train: $40
Dinner on your own

Day 7
Breakfast at hotel: $51.25
Lunch on your own
Dinner on The Jolly Roger: $256.25

Day 8

Food Total: $1233.57

Activities

Day 1
Tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum: $134.34

Day 2
St. Peter's Basilica Skip the Line Tour: $44
Rome Tour Bus: $53.04
Rome Walking Tour: Free, guides work for tips, so ~$10 tip
Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel after dark: $815.34

Day 3
On your own in Orvieto, lots of travel

Day 4
Wine tasting: Free with meal price

Day 5
Accademia Gallery Tickets/Tour: $53.58
Palazzo Vecchio Tour: $75.89

Day 6
Gondola Tour: $93.18
Piazza San Marco Tour: $155.94

Day 7
Venice Architecture Tour: Free w/ tips, ~$10
Mask Making: $80

Day 8
N/A

Activities Total: $1525.31

Summary:
Lodging: $2,262.14
Transportation: $624.75
Meals: $1233.57
Activities: $1525.31

Grand Total: $5,645.77

Price Difference: $10,198 - $5,645.77 = $4,552.23

Private transportation that does not involve driving yourself or any public transit

Some observations, comparing this trip witht the Alaska trip I looked at earlier:

Both trips are 8 days, 7 nights. Hotels are much less in Rome and rural Italy compared to Alaska. Transportation ended up being slightly cheaper as well, mostly because of the amount of mass transit. It would be interesting to see the price of having a car in Rome and Florence area, but parking and gas make it a little complicated to figure out the real price. Meals were more expensive in Italy, I'll address that in a minute. Activities were a bit more in Alaska, mostly because of the on your own time in several different cities. Overall I can navigate Italy pretty well on my own, so I would probably be more inclined to take the Alaska trip, but if I had kids and was trying to ferry them between different cities on public transit it could get pretty hectic and the trip might have more value.

My take on this trip: Like I said, I've been to Italy before and have no issues taking subways, buses, or walking long distances in cities, and I'm fine taking trains in between cities. Private car airport transfers are probably the only thing I would splurge on transport wise. The hotels in Rome is perfect. Walking distance to Vatican City, and a longer walk to the Forum area but still doable, and you pass by many sites on the way there.

Many of the places you get private tours of are easy to see on your own, and I don't know how much the guides add over a decent book about the site. Hop on, hop off tour buses are popular in Italy and a cheap way to see things while stopping wherever you want. The gondola rides are fun and easy enough to find. Most gondoliers are very knowledgeable about the city and can give you a tour and recommendations while on the ride. The after hours Vatican Museum tour looks amazing, I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. For reference, it's $16 to get in normally and the lines aren't that bad if you get there after lunch.

The food is an interesting case here. There a lots of meals on your own, however the ones ABD does provide are pretty amazing. 2 of them are Michelin Star restaurants, and the dinner cruise around Venice as your farewell dinner is a nice touch. I would usually skip the hotel breakfast in exchange for finding a local restaurant or going to the grocery store. While the fine dining restaurants in Italy are delicious, there is plenty of cheap, filling, delicious food around Italy.

In conclusion, like Alaska, I would probably skip the trip and book it on my own. I pack pretty light and don't buy too many huge souvenirs, so luggage service isn't that much of a value to me. I would also skip the hotel in the Italian countryside and stay in Florence, as the podcast team has done. I would love to see the countryside, but I would just take a bus somewhere for the day. There will be plenty of options leaving daily from all 3 cities. Florence is a spectacular place to stay in and just live like a local. It's also Italy's college town, so if you're young and want to meet locals and discover the nightlife this is a great place to do it.

Biggest tip for this trip: Book pre and post nights. You can explore the coast, go see Pompeii, and spend more time looking around the historical sites in Rome. And like Florence, Venice is just a great place to be, even if you just walk around, stop in a cafe, do some window shopping, and live like a local on the weekends. I highly recommend visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice in general.

I keep trying to justify an ABD but I just can't seem to.

I travel quite a bit with adventure travel companies - something I love - and a lot of the pros of ABD seem to be the things I already love about the adventure tours I take. Unique experiences, local guides, immersion in the culture and unique cultural experiences. The difference is that I end up paying a couple thousand less.

Has anyone done both? Adventure tours and ABD? Is there something I'm missing that tips the scale?

Is Adventure Tours the name of the company? I Googled that name and came up with Active Adventure tours, G Adventure Tours, Australia Adventure Tours but nothing with just that name.

I had enough fun with the Alaska trip I did some more research:

ABD Italy, July 27 through August 3, 2018
$5,099 per adult x 2 = $10,198

Hotels:

Gran Melia Rome Hotel, including breakfast, 2 nights = $1,112.73

Hotel Borgo di Cortefreda, including breakfast, 3 nights = $498

Hilton Molino Stucky, 2 nights = $651.41

Hotel Total = $2,262.14

Transportation:

This gets tricky. On the Alaska trip I assumed a rental car because there isn't much public transit. This time I'll try to use busses, trains, and metros, or a private car when applicable.

Transfer from Rome airport to hotel: $61.60

48 hour bus/metro pass in Rome: $14.58

1st class train from Rome to Orvieto: $22 x 2 = $44

1st class train Orvieto to Florence: $39.80 x 2 = $79.60

Since the hotel is in a very rural area, we'll rent a car again in Florence.

Rental car, automatic, for 3 days, plus estimated $50 for gas = $236.43

Car takes care of all transportation in rural Italy

1st class train, Florence to Venice: $83.66

2 Day Vaporetto Pass: $34.96 x 2 = $69.92

Boat transfer from Venice to Airport: $17.48 x 2 = $34.96

Transportation Total: $624.75

Day 1
Welcome Dinner at Hotel: $174.71

Day 2
Lunch at local restaurant: Estimated $60
Dinner on your own

Day 3
Lunch at local restaurant in Orvieto: Estimated $60
Dinner at Ristorante Cortefreda: $111.82

Day 4
Lunch at Fattoria Poggio Alloro: $228.29
Dinner in a Castello: Can't find any prices, estimate $200

Day 5
Lunch on your own in Florence
Dinner on your own in Florence

Day 6
Boxed lunch onboard train: $40
Dinner on your own

Day 7
Lunch on your own
Dinner on The Jolly Roger: $256.25

Day 8

Food Total: $1233.57

Activities

Day 1
Tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum: $134.34

Day 2
St. Peter's Basilica Skip the Line Tour: $44
Rome Tour Bus: $53.04
Rome Walking Tour: Free, guides work for tips, so ~$10 tip
Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel after dark: $815.34

Day 3
On your own in Orvieto, lots of travel

Day 4
Wine tasting: Free with meal price

Day 5
Accademia Gallery Tickets/Tour: $53.58
Palazzo Vecchio Tour: $75.89

Day 6
Gondola Tour: $93.18
Piazza San Marco Tour: $155.94

Day 7
Venice Architecture Tour: Free w/ tips, ~$10
Mask Making: $80

Day 8
N/A

Activities Total: $1525.31

Summary:
Lodging: $2,262.14
Transportation: $624.75
Meals: $1233.57
Activities: $1525.31

Grand Total: $5,645.77

Price Difference: $10,198 - $5,645.77 = $4,552.23

Private transportation that does not involve driving yourself or any public transit

Some observations, comparing this trip witht the Alaska trip I looked at earlier:

Both trips are 8 days, 7 nights. Hotels are much less in Rome and rural Italy compared to Alaska. Transportation ended up being slightly cheaper as well, mostly because of the amount of mass transit. It would be interesting to see the price of having a car in Rome and Florence area, but parking and gas make it a little complicated to figure out the real price. Meals were more expensive in Italy, I'll address that in a minute. Activities were a bit more in Alaska, mostly because of the on your own time in several different cities. Overall I can navigate Italy pretty well on my own, so I would probably be more inclined to take the Alaska trip, but if I had kids and was trying to ferry them between different cities on public transit it could get pretty hectic and the trip might have more value.

My take on this trip: Like I said, I've been to Italy before and have no issues taking subways, buses, or walking long distances in cities, and I'm fine taking trains in between cities. Private car airport transfers are probably the only thing I would splurge on transport wise. The hotels in Rome is perfect. Walking distance to Vatican City, and a longer walk to the Forum area but still doable, and you pass by many sites on the way there.

Many of the places you get private tours of are easy to see on your own, and I don't know how much the guides add over a decent book about the site. Hop on, hop off tour buses are popular in Italy and a cheap way to see things while stopping wherever you want. The gondola rides are fun and easy enough to find. Most gondoliers are very knowledgeable about the city and can give you a tour and recommendations while on the ride. The after hours Vatican Museum tour looks amazing, I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. For reference, it's $16 to get in normally and the lines aren't that bad if you get there after lunch.

The food is an interesting case here. There a lots of meals on your own, however the ones ABD does provide are pretty amazing. 2 of them are Michelin Star restaurants, and the dinner cruise around Venice as your farewell dinner is a nice touch. I would usually skip the hotel breakfast in exchange for finding a local restaurant or going to the grocery store. While the fine dining restaurants in Italy are delicious, there is plenty of cheap, filling, delicious food around Italy.

In conclusion, like Alaska, I would probably skip the trip and book it on my own. I pack pretty light and don't buy too many huge souvenirs, so luggage service isn't that much of a value to me. I would also skip the hotel in the Italian countryside and stay in Florence, as the podcast team has done. I would love to see the countryside, but I would just take a bus somewhere for the day. There will be plenty of options leaving daily from all 3 cities. Florence is a spectacular place to stay in and just live like a local. It's also Italy's college town, so if you're young and want to meet locals and discover the nightlife this is a great place to do it.

Biggest tip for this trip: Book pre and post nights. You can explore the coast, go see Pompeii, and spend more time looking around the historical sites in Rome. And like Florence, Venice is just a great place to be, even if you just walk around, stop in a cafe, do some window shopping, and live like a local on the weekends. I highly recommend visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice in general.

I totally agree with scheduling some on your own pre and post nights. We should have have done that. I gotta say though, despite the fact that we just did this Italy ABD in August and seeing the price difference vs doing it OYO, I’d still book it again with ABD. It’s one of the few ABD trips I’d do again as is. We’ve actually discussed booking this same trip again down the line. I imagine when one of the nieces or nephews graduates, if they want to go to Italy, this is the trip we’d treat them to.

Is Adventure Tours the name of the company? I Googled that name and came up with Active Adventure tours, G Adventure Tours, Australia Adventure Tours but nothing with just that name.

Adventure tours are just a type/style of tour. I wasn't sure I was allowed to post company names :oops:

mostly I've used g adventures comfort level tours which now are their National Geographic tours. But I've also used pergrine tours and intrepid in the past.

Adventure tours are just a type/style of tour. I wasn't sure I was allowed to post company names :oops:

mostly I've used g adventures comfort level tours which now are their National Geographic tours. But I've also used pergrine tours and intrepid in the past.

I have done 3 ABDs (Scotland in 2013, Central Europe in 2014 and Baltics cruise add on in 2015; we will be taking our 4th ABD next summer when we do the Southern California and Disneyland trip) and am leaving tomorrow morning for my third hiking trip with Nat Geo (England Coast to Coast in 2015, Hiking the Emerald Isle in 2016 and Patagonia upcoming). The focus of the trips is clearly quite different, but I've found my Nat Geo trips to be on par or better than the ABDs I have taken.

I totally agree with scheduling some on your own pre and post nights. We should have have done that. I gotta say though, despite the fact that we just did this Italy ABD in August and seeing the price difference vs doing it OYO, I’d still book it again with ABD. It’s one of the few ABD trips I’d do again as is. We’ve actually discussed booking this same trip again down the line. I imagine when one of the nieces or nephews graduates, if they want to go to Italy, this is the trip we’d treat them to.

If you had a great time going with ABD then I think it's definitely worth doing it with them again. Depending on the time you have available, Venice and Milan are both spectacular for postnights and trains run between the two constantly. Naples is OK and the gateway to Pompeii, but not as much to do as any of the other cities.

I've done two ABD tours, but they were big, far away ones. Australia in 2009 and South Africa which ended a month ago. Australia was well worth the cost (which is probably a bunch higher 8 years later but it would still be worth the cost.). South Africa was MORE than worth the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!