Is a 3-day cruise worth it?

3 days or 3 nights? Two different things. Be careful as to what counts for a "day". Also, add another day 'cause you're gonna wanna be at the port the evening before. So don't forget to account for that transfer, hotel night and meals. I really, really wouldn't plan to fly day of (no matter what some might tell you).

All that said, for a 2-hour flight (especially with the way travel is now), I don't think it's worth it. You'll unpack one day and pack up the next. 2 hour drive, sure thing. If you've never been on DCL, yeah, it's an inexpensive way to learn about their cruising. Me - I consider anything less than 8/9 nights not worth the effort at this point so take what I say with a grain of salt.
3 nights

Our first and only so far was a 3 night. We wanted to try it but didn't want to be stuck for too long if we hated it or someone got sea sick. We added a few days in a house near the beach to make it a week's vacation. It was a good start to get our feet wet and realize we loved it. We were going to do a 7 night next, but my husband fell in love with the idea of being on the ship for Christmas. Because of the price we compromised on the 4 night over Christmas. that was supposed to be last Christmas. Stupid Covid. I'm not sure when we'll be comfortable going again, but we have a pile of Disney gift cards ready.

In the past I would have said no. However, it turned out for us that my daughter had three days off school and it worked out perfectly for us to have her take an additional day off school, go visit a college in Florida, and then a 3 night cruise. I so missed cruising that I didn't regret doing a three night. But I am ready for more.

If you have to fly in, I would not do a 3-night cruise. That is a lot of travel hassle (airports, driving to the port, etc.) for a very short cruise. You will barely settle in on the ship and will have to disembark and go home. If you were local or were a short driving distance to the port, it could be worth it, but not with a flight with three young kids thrown into the mix. I would look for a 4 or 5-night cruise at the very least.

If you have to fly in, I would not do a 3-night cruise. That is a lot of travel hassle (airports, driving to the port, etc.) for a very short cruise. You will barely settle in on the ship and will have to disembark and go home.
On the other hand, we've flown in to 3-night cruises before and did not find the experience to be like that. It's very specific to the individual, what a given vacation experience seems like. Some people find it more challenging to travel and to settle into vacation mode than others. Some people actually enjoy the travel (yay- something different than day to day life) and quickly make themselves at home onboard the ship.

Last edited:
So, with all of the recommendations here, I will add my 2 cents.
1) DW and I went on a 7 night RCCL for our honeymoon in 2007 and hadn't cruised since. We loved the week long vacation and enjoyed every minute of it. That being said:
2) We went on a 3 night on the Dream in January 2020 with friends of ours. Loved every minute of it. HOWEVER, we felt rushed and by the time we were 'relaxed' we were packing up and getting ready to disembark the next morning.

Our conclusion, 3 days isn't enough for us for a vacation, but if you have the cash and want to get away for a long weekend; DO IT! If we lived closer and could drive to PC, we would do it much more regularly for that 'getaway feeling'. Although I'm not sure if our kids would let us sail DCL without them again. 😁 🤭

My mom and I did a 3 night so no kids but we said it was too short. We live in FL and said if it was a great deal and wanted to get away without taking a week off work for a 4 night, we would do it though. I wouldn’t get off at Nassau but the time will go quick. By the time you unpack you pack back up.

We are booked for our first cruise next November and are starting with the 3 day. I know we won't see or do everything, but we probably will use our Nassau day to stay on the ship and explore.

On the other hand, we've flown in to 3-night cruises before and did not find the experience to be like that. It's very specific to the individual, what a given vacation experience seems like. Some people find it more challenging to travel and to settle into vacation mode than others. Some people actually enjoy the travel (yay- something different than day to day life) and quickly make themselves at home onboard the ship.

Sure, everyone is different. Personally speaking, flying with 3 elementary school children for a 3-night cruise would not be relaxing or worth the hassle. Only OP would know if that would be worthwhile or relaxing for them. When my DS was younger, we would call experiences like that a "trip", not a vacation.

Sure, everyone is different. Personally speaking, flying with 3 elementary school children for a 3-night cruise would not be relaxing or worth the hassle. Only OP would know if that would be worthwhile or relaxing for them. When my DS was younger, we would call experiences like that a "trip", not a vacation.
One could argue that any travel with 3 elementary school children is going to be a trip and not a vacation. I'm not convinced that longer would be less stressful in that situation. But, I agree with you that everyone is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter