iPads in the Parks as cameras

And the picture quality with any phone camera of any sort is terrible.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

Actually this is not true. The iPhone 5 has a good camera, better than the cheaper point and shoots. I agree that the iPad cameras suck though.

If I really need to see something like a parade, show etc... I plan ahead. I make sure I'm in front so other things won't bother me. Like children hoisted onto shoulders, cameras in my way. I have to or my "what the heck" personality kicks in. I would skip certain things if I can't have the view I want, I'm ok with that. I trade it for something else. Kids on shoulders in my way is more frustrating than someone using an iPad to take a quick photo. I saw people doing character photos with them in sept. they weren't in my way or anyone else's, it was just characters so I think that's ok. I happen to love my iPad. I have not looked at the pictures on the computer or printed up so I can't say anything about quality. I wouldn't lug my iPad around any theme park or similar situation.

If I really need to see something like a parade, show etc... I plan ahead. I make sure I'm in front so other things won't bother me. Like children hoisted onto shoulders, cameras in my way. I have to or my "what the heck" personality kicks in. I would skip certain things if I can't have the view I want, I'm ok with that. I trade it for something else. Kids on shoulders in my way is more frustrating than someone using an iPad to take a quick photo. I saw people doing character photos with them in sept. they weren't in my way or anyone else's, it was just characters so I think that's ok. I happen to love my iPad. I have not looked at the pictures on the computer or printed up so I can't say anything about quality. I wouldn't lug my iPad around any theme park or similar situation.

The problem really isn't a quick photo. The problem is video, requiring that it be hoisted overhead for extended periods of time, sometimes for the duration of a show or event.

But I agree about kids on shoulders too. That's no better. Once again, if someone tall is in front of me, I won't choose that spot. But when someone hoists a kid or an ipad up at the last minute, it's usually too late to find a new spot.

The problem really isn't a quick photo. The problem is video, requiring that it be hoisted overhead for extended periods of time, sometimes for the duration of a show or event.

But I agree about kids on shoulders too. That's no better. Once again, if someone tall is in front of me, I won't choose that spot. But when someone hoists a kid or an ipad up at the last minute, it's usually too late to find a new spot.

Which is exactly why if I'm not right on the curb for a parade or in a front seat for a show, thats important to me....I will skip it. Try later or just do something else. i haven't expirenced the ipad filming yet. BUT that would bother me to.

I was annoyed a bit at a recent concert (no one in my way), second row..because people all around had there cell phones going..videoing mostly..the light from the screens is annoying and watching them hold them for minutes at a time annoying (side views). Do people have to catch EVERYHTING on video these days. I also glanced at many of the camera screens and to be honest the video quality due to the dark theatre and special concert lighting were making the video they were shooting grainy and lousy. It was awful I saw their screens. I would not want to watch lousy video like that. Whats the point :confused3

Which is exactly why if I'm not right on the curb for a parade or in a front seat for a show, thats important to me....I will skip it. Try later or just do something else. i haven't expirenced the ipad filming yet. BUT that would bother me to.

I was annoyed a bit at a recent concert (no one in my way), second row..because people all around had there cell phones going..videoing mostly..the light from the screens is annoying and watching them hold them for minutes at a time annoying (side views). Do people have to catch EVERYHTING on video these days. I also glanced at many of the camera screens and to be honest the video quality due to the dark theatre and special concert lighting were making the video they were shooting grainy and lousy. It was awful I saw their screens. I would not want to watch lousy video like that. Whats the point :confused3

There are many shows at Disney where the front rows are not available to the general public. And many times the very front row in an auditorium is not a very desirable seat. Sort of like standing in front of the castle stage for a show. Just not much of a view in the very front. Last time we were there we staked out a spot very early right up near the stage. And sure enough, very last minute, someone right in front of us hoisted their child up on their shoulders. My point being...... preparedness on my part can only go so far. Eventually I just need other people to be considerate of others.

There are many shows at Disney where the front rows are not available to the general public. And many times the very front row in an auditorium is not a very desirable seat. Sort of like standing in front of the castle stage for a show. Just not much of a view in the very front. Last time we were there we staked out a spot very early right up near the stage. And sure enough, very last minute, someone right in front of us hoisted their child up on their shoulders. My point being...... preparedness on my part can only go so far. Eventually I just need other people to be considerate of others.

EXACTLY..BUT most are not considerte of others, they figure its my vacation too, I paid to be here blah blah blah...

I am sure at some point we have all done something others would consider rude or selfish behaviour.

EXACTLY..BUT most are not considerte of others, they figure its my vacation too, I paid to be here blah blah blah...

I am sure at some point we have all done something others would consider rude or selfish behaviour.

Probably. But my point in this thread is that hoisting an 8x10 or so size instrument over your head, often for an extended period of time, in front of countless other guests is so blatantly rude that it sets a new low.

Actually this is not true. The iPhone 5 has a good camera, better than the cheaper point and shoots. I agree that the iPad cameras suck though.

No, it's true. I mean an iPhone might not be horrible compared to a really cheap p&s but there are sensor size limitations inherent in something like a camera phone that are always going to make them awful for much more than web sharing in fairly bright conditions. Even the mid-to-higher end p&s cameras (not to mention mirrorless or DSLR) will blow away an iPhone camera.

Probably. But my point in this thread is that hoisting an 8x10 or so size instrument over your head, often for an extended period of time, in front of countless other guests is so blatantly rude that it sets a new low.

:thumbsup2 agreed!

No, it's true. I mean an iPhone might not be horrible compared to a really cheap p&s but there are sensor size limitations inherent in something like a camera phone that are always going to make them awful for much more than web sharing in fairly bright conditions. Even the mid-to-higher end p&s cameras (not to mention mirrorless or DSLR) will blow away an iPhone camera.
Well, obviously a DSLR or high end point and shoot will be better than an iphone camera. But, the post I was responding to claimed that your cheapest point and shoot will be better than an iphone camera, and with the much improved cameras in the iphone 5s, this is not true. The iphone cameras are pretty good in low light situations now.

And there are lots of apps that you can use to make the pictures even better. Add the convenience of the iPhone, and it is great to take to the parks. Some days, I wont even bring a regular camera into the parks.

There was a thread on the photography board here with pictures taken by iphones. Amazing photos on there.

Well, obviously a DSLR or high end point and shoot will be better than an iphone camera. But, the post I was responding to claimed that your cheapest point and shoot will be better than an iphone camera, and with the much improved cameras in the iphone 5s, this is not true. The iphone cameras are pretty good in low light situations now.

And there are lots of apps that you can use to make the pictures even better. Add the convenience of the iPhone, and it is great to take to the parks. Some days, I wont even bring a regular camera into the parks.

There was a thread on the photography board here with pictures taken by iphones. Amazing photos on there.

Still debatable. There are decent camera phones but their low light capabilities are usually due to a fixed bright lens. In optimal conditions even the cheapest compact camera will take better pictures because the sensor will be twice the size. Not to mention the camera will be a lot more flexible in its role over a phone.
There are a few exceptions though such as the rare 81MP camera phone and there are some really crappy cameras... Guess it is pointless to banter back and forth though, there are strengths and weaknesses either way you look at it.

I DO know the difference.
I realize that is digital zoom (which does not give as good of quality), but a previous post said that an iPad could not zoom (not specifying optical or digital).

I had several SLRs cameras with multiple lenses (including some big zoom lenses). These were in the days of film cameras, so no digital zoom.
We stopped using them when it got too expensive to use film and the digital cameras started to give pretty good picture quality (plus, not having to limit the number of pictures, like you do with film).
I'm on my 4th (I think) digital camera - a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS6 that I bought a couple of years ago. It has a 12x optical zoom and a 4x digital zoom and takes very nice pictures in most conditions.

An iPad or iPhone can take good (even very good) pictures in the right conditions - a lot of light, but not direct sun. They are good for sharing on Facebook, message or email and for viewing on the computer (or iPad). They are no way as good quality pictures as a 'real' camera, but good enough for those uses.

You are incorrect BTW. I specifically referred to a fixed lens and you even highlighted it. :confused:

If I really need to see something like a parade, show etc... I plan ahead. I make sure I'm in front so other things won't bother me.

The problem with parades in particular is that even sitting right in the front, most of us want to take some pictures and you tend not to do that strictly when the floats and/or characters and dancers are straight in front of you. I take most of my photos as they approach me, meaning that they are either approaching from my left or my right - either way, they are not right in front. So the problem arises that as soon as you turn slightly in any direction to face the approaching parade you technically have people 'in front' of you. If the parade is approaching, say, from my left, and the guy two folk down from me to my left leans in and raises and iPad, or even lifts an arm in the air, it is likely to obstruct my view. I appreciate that there is no easy solution to this, if there is one at all, but I'm just highlighting the fact that this is one of the challenges, made worse by folk raising objects in the air and obviously the larger their choice of device, the more intrusive it is.

If someone is acting obnoxious in front of me holding up an iPad I would either tap on his shoulder and tell him he is being rude or I would move. Whining like a baby on a forum is totally pointless. What are you proving? Don't complain to us, complain to the problem. Way less that 1/10th of 1% of the people who visit WDW read this forum so this is not the way to solve the problem.

If someone is acting obnoxious in front of me holding up an iPad I would either tap on his shoulder and tell him he is being rude or I would move. Whining like a baby on a forum is totally pointless. What are you proving? Don't complain to us, complain to the problem. Way less that 1/10th of 1% of the people who visit WDW read this forum so this is not the way to solve the problem.

It's a discussion forum. People are expressing their respective points of view, which may or may not be interpreted as whining, but nonetheless, it's an open discussion.

The majority of folk who obstruct someone's view are NOT intentionally being rude; in fact I doubt that they are even aware that they are causing anyone any bother. Moving when the area is packed with people, many of whom have been waiting and saving their desired spot for well in excess of an hour is simply not an option

I don't think iPads are big at all. :confused3 My iPad pops into my handbag nicely. My camera, on the other hand, needs to go into a camera case and so if I brought that to the park, I'd end up carrying a handbag plus a camera bag.

It was great having my iPad at the parks in September. We could facetime the kids back home without having to be back at our hotel by 3/4PM, we could pull up our adrs without having to make a separate note of the confirmation numbers, we could check menus online and yes, we could take photos.

I have a fancy camera for work but for holiday snaps that I'm just going to post on fb or keep on the iPad, the iPad quality is fine.

I do agree that people shouldn't block other people's views of parades and such (we don't bother with parades these days) - that reminds me of back when people used to haul out their massive camcorders to block everyone's view- incredibly annoying!

I agree completely. I bring my ipad (which i find does not take very god pics) to use for reading while I eat as I travel solo. I also use if for WDW apps - there is a great one that shows RR locations! I can get my work email on it and it is easy to type on. but I carry my iphone for pics and calls... I have to share though that I took my first ipad on EE and the poor thing got totally confused and never worked properly afterwards. I took it to Apple and they were perplexed - never saw that before, but they replaced it and my new Ipad LOVES EE!!:rotfl2:

I already said earlier in this thread that I would tap them on the shoulder.

Then I started "discussing", as this is a "discussion" forum.

I took my first ipad on EE and the poor thing got totally confused and never worked properly afterwards. I took it to Apple and they were perplexed - never saw that before, but they replaced it and my new Ipad LOVES EE!!:rotfl2:

Perhaps iPads and Yeti's don't mix :lmao:

Im thinking we may see even more ipads being used as cameras now that the ipad Mini is out. I ordered one tonight and am hoping that I'll get it before I leave for WDW on Dec. 14.

Won't use it as a camera but it will take up less space in my carry on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter