International Owners Expiring Point Extensions

I just remembered that I had an email exchange with Member Services least week before calling today to take advantage of it. Here is an except (looks like they will show up in membership as transferred points with a June 2021 UY):

“At this time, if you were to cancel any reservations utilizing banked in October 2019 Use Year Vacation Points, by reaching out to Member Services, the Vacation Points can be extended for use through the night of May 31, 2022. If not used for travel by the night of May 31, 2022 for travel they would expire. These extended Vacation Points would appear in your Membership as transferred in Vacation Points with a June 2021 Use Year and there would be no further action required on your part, other than the initial correspondence with Member Services.”

Thanks for sharing. This just confirms that what DVC is doing it giving up points owned by them to owners to allow for the extension!

Mine are still showing in my account but are locked so I can't book anything with them. They are supposed to be available when they get to the next UY but I don't know how.
Thanks for sharing. This just confirms that what DVC is doing it giving up points owned by them to owners to allow for the extension!
Is it possible DVC is locking points (at least from the owners end) and using those points before they expire for themselves? Then just replacing them with their points for the extension?

Is it possible DVC is locking points (at least from the owners end) and using those points before they expire for themselves? Then just replacing them with their points for the extension?

No. That would be illegal. There is no way for them to use them without the owner knowing.

No. That would be illegal. There is no way for them to use them without the owner knowing.
I figured that might not be on the up and up, although it's not like they do everything by the books anyway. Could they increase breakage since they "know" the points won't be used? I thought I read somewhere that they can estimate the breakage when determining what's available for cash rooms.

I figured that might not be on the up and up, although it's not like they do everything by the books anyway. Could they increase breakage since they "know" the points won't be used? I thought I read somewhere that they can estimate the breakage when determining what's available for cash rooms.

Breakage is simply rooms that have not been booked by members. Yes, it does mention being able to anticipate but it would need to be based on data.

I know there are some who believe that DVCMC doesn’t follow rules and out to mess with members, but I am not there. I think there are some moves that give me pause, but I simply dont think they sit around thinking of ways to break the rules. What they have done during the last year to help owners certainly contradicts that view...IMO.

Again, they don’t have to give up points to owners, but they are. But, all those points do come with rooms assigned to them in a sense for future use by those owners,

Remember, DVD owns a lot of points and any points owned by them can be used to book rooms that we see for cash. They have no need to take and use an owner’s points.

Last edited:
Mine are still showing in my account but are locked so I can't book anything with them. They are supposed to be available when they get to the next UY but I don't know how.

Quick question - How can you tell that your points are “locked”? I called a couple of weeks ago to cancel a July reservation and take advantage of the extension for international holders. The expiring points are sitting in my account but I don’t see anything indicating that I can’t use them. I’m wondering if perhaps the CM didn’t do everything they were supposed to do re the extension.

Quick question - How can you tell that your points are “locked”? I called a couple of weeks ago to cancel a July reservation and take advantage of the extension for international holders. The expiring points are sitting in my account but I don’t see anything indicating that I can’t use them. I’m wondering if perhaps the CM didn’t do everything they were supposed to do re the extension.
I have 69 Aug UY and 100 Sept UY points currently in my 2020 UY that are going to be extended. They show up on my dashboard but it won't let me book anything with them.

Thanks for sharing this info. Is this still an available option? We had a DCL cruise booked for June and a DVC stay reserved for after the cruise. The cruise was cancelled by DCL, so we have now decided to cancel the DVC stay as well. However, DCL cancelled the cruise just after the banking window closed on our DVC points. The DVC stay was using some banked points and some current points, but past the banking window. Will they extend the banked points and allow us to bank the current points?

Thanks for sharing this info. Is this still an available option? We had a DCL cruise booked for June and a DVC stay reserved for after the cruise. The cruise was cancelled by DCL, so we have now decided to cancel the DVC stay as well. However, DCL cancelled the cruise just after the banking window closed on our DVC points. The DVC stay was using some banked points and some current points, but past the banking window. Will they extend the banked points and allow us to bank the current points?
I would call and ask.

If you are an international owner, then you should be eligible for the special exception of having banked points extended.

If not, you can still call, but they have not been making those exceptions any longer since resorts are all open.

Haven't read the entire thread. But question, if a reservation has borrowed points and our border situation doesn't change will they extend those to May as well (otherwise they would expire at the end of February 2022 for me).

I would call and ask.
If you are an international owner, then you should be eligible for the special exception of having banked points extended.

If not, you can still call, but they have not been making those exceptions any longer since resorts are all open.
We called and they did bank the current points for us even though it was past the banking deadline. They couldn't extend the existing banked points, but did swap them into other reservations (in different use years) to use up most of the points.

Thanks for all the help!

I am so confused and any time I reach out to DVC I get no clarification.

DVC have offered to extend our points for our Sept and Oct UY. The problem is that we are approaching our 11 month booking window. DVC advised that the extended points will be available approx 1 week into our next UY. I assume this means we cannot use the extended points at the 11 month mark, correct?

DVC have offered to extend our points for our Sept and Oct UY. The problem is that we are approaching our 11 month booking window. DVC advised that the extended points will be available approx 1 week into our next UY. I assume this means we cannot use the extended points at the 11 month mark, correct?
Correct. I have some transferred VGC points that I had hoped to use at 11 months that I won't be able to. The extension is nice but didn't really help with those points as there won't be availabilty there by that time.

The reason you can’t have them before the UY starts is that the points being extended are not your own points.

DVC is actually transferring points they use for OTU points or their own books to owners as a goodwill jesters.

Now, you have other points to use to book at 11 months, you can do that now...just don’t borrow...and make what you can.

Once they give you the extended points you should be able to have MS reallocate them into what you booked.

The reason you can’t have them before the UY starts is that the points being extended are not your own points.

DVC is actually transferring points they use for OTU points or their own books to owners as a goodwill jesters.

Now, you have other points to use to book at 11 months, you can do that now...just don’t borrow...and make what you can.

Once they give you the extended points you should be able to have MS reallocate them into what you booked.

I have 160 points expiring Jan 31 2022. We are hoping to go to Disney March 2022, pending border reopening.

If I can get the points extended to May 2022...can I use current points to book our March 2022 trip, then have Member Services in Feb 2022 swap the points on the reservation to use up our expiring ones? Would they have to cancel the room and rebook, or can they swap points being used on their end without touching the reservation?

I have 160 points expiring Jan 31 2022. We are hoping to go to Disney March 2022, pending border reopening.

If I can get the points extended to May 2022...can I use current points to book our March 2022 trip, then have Member Services in Feb 2022 swap the points on the reservation to use up our expiring ones? Would they have to cancel the room and rebook, or can they swap points being used on their end without touching the reservation?

This should not be a problem, Last year, that is exactly what some owners did!

Just be sure that you do not borrow any points as those will not be returned but if you have the current UY points available, go ahead and book it,

I think you do have to put in the request to have the points extended.

Just be sure that you do not borrow any points as those will not be returned but if you have the current UY points available, go ahead and book it,

Thank you so much! I wasn’t going to put the request in as I thought they would be useless in terms of availability if I could only book in Feb for March trip. But if I can get them to swap , and then bank the current UY points ... that is great! Thanks!

That is almost exactly my case too. I was planning on using my 2020 points banked into 2021 for a fall vacation this year, but availability is gone and I also have the border problem. I'm planning a trip for March 2022 and I have a Feb UY as well, so an extension until May would help me a lot.

The extension is only really helpful to those with 2019 banked points though. They need to think about 2020's points too. Borders are still closed and many international visitors can't travel before may 2022. I do feel like they have set a precedent now by extending 2019's by an extra year that they should do the same for 2020 when people really couldn't travel! Just my 2 cents worth...... Thinking out loud. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter