International Owners Expiring Point Extensions

JETSDAD

DIS Veteran
After seeing a few reports online I decided to call and see what could be done for some expiring points that I have coming up. I had some banked points from my own contract and some banked points from a transfer that would have expired this year (I would have rented them instead of being able to use them myself due to the border still being closed). After being on hold for a while as the CM spoke with a supervisor, they are going to be extending those points to expire at the end of May next year. They have a specific form for it at this point and I was told it could take up to a month for the points to show up with the extension but this is a great option for international owners who can't yet travel to the resorts. It sounds like it is being handled on a case by case basis.

After seeing a few reports online I decided to call and see what could be done for some expiring points that I have coming up. I had some banked points from my own contract and some banked points from a transfer that would have expired this year (I would have rented them instead of being able to use them myself due to the border still being closed). After being on hold for a while as the CM spoke with a supervisor, they are going to be extending those points to expire at the end of May next year. They have a specific form for it at this point and I was told it could take up to a month for the points to show up with the extension but this is a great option for international owners who can't yet travel to the resorts. It sounds like it is being handled on a case by case basis.

Just to confirm, we’re your points due to expire at the end of May this year? I have points expiring the end of September. I currently have a July trip to Aulani booked with them, but slim hopes of actually going. Do you know when the points have to be expiring by in order for them to grant the extension?

Thanks! Do you know if they will extend the expiry of banked points currently in a “maybe” hopeful reservation? Or do the points have to be freed up sitting there in your account? Do you know if the points will be your home resort?

Thanks for the confirmation, I have points expiring Feb 2022 which have been used to book a trip in August 2021, if cancelled I can’t go back until August 2022 so points will expire.
I’m hanging on until end of May to make final decision

Just to confirm, we’re your points due to expire at the end of May this year? I have points expiring the end of September. I currently have a July trip to Aulani booked with them, but slim hopes of actually going. Do you know when the points have to be expiring by in order for them to grant the extension?
I had some Aug UY and some Sept UY. I don't know if they have a cutoff or if the policies will change as they go along.

Thanks! Do you know if they will extend the expiry of banked points currently in a “maybe” hopeful reservation? Or do the points have to be freed up sitting there in your account? Do you know if the points will be your home resort?
The points that I had extended were in a reservation but she cancelled that prior to doing the work on the extension. I doubt that they would extend points in a current reservation but I didn't ask. They will retain their home resort.

Last edited:

I had a reservation for July. After much discussion with my hubby, we decided that maybe Fall would be safer on multiple fronts coming from Canada. I chatted online with a cast member, asking what would happen to my points if I did this (I had some that were past banking deadline and would be lost with my Aug UY). She was amazing and did the paperwork for those expiring points to be extended til the end of May 2022. Once Aug 1st rolls around they will become available for use and I can rearrange the points used for the Fall trip. I didn't even ask for this to happen, she just told me it was an option for international members. The only reason I originally booked July was just so we didnt lose those points.
Anyone not sure of the situation, should call or online chat and get the extension. Sounds like it is standard policy right now.

I had a reservation for July. After much discussion with my hubby, we decided that maybe Fall would be safer on multiple fronts coming from Canada. I chatted online with a cast member, asking what would happen to my points if I did this (I had some that were past banking deadline and would be lost with my Aug UY). She was amazing and did the paperwork for those expiring points to be extended til the end of May 2022. Once Aug 1st rolls around they will become available for use and I can rearrange the points used for the Fall trip. I didn't even ask for this to happen, she just told me it was an option for international members. The only reason I originally booked July was just so we didnt lose those points.
Anyone not sure of the situation, should call or online chat and get the extension. Sounds like it is standard policy right now.

When they extended points in 2020 it did take about a week to show up online..some required a call.

So, if you don’t see them immediately give it a few extra days. Not sure if they will be using the same procedure but I’m glad to here it is a good benefit to you!

Just sent an email regarding this. I rented out a few points but if I could extend my points I would prefer to do that. We are booked for November 2021 but I’m doubtful that trip will be possible. I’d be happy to cancel it if it would mean a point extension. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Late to the party, but wanted to say I’m happy they were able to do that for you!

When they extended points in 2020 it did take about a week to show up online..some required a call.

So, if you don’t see them immediately give it a few extra days. Not sure if they will be using the same procedure but I’m glad to here it is a good benefit to you!
The points show up on the website... but I can't use them. The lovely CM had said that I would need to call back after August 1st to have them rearrange points so as to use the extended points first and return the current use years back.. and then I can bank those points for next trip.

The points show up on the website... but I can't use them. The lovely CM had said that I would need to call back after August 1st to have them rearrange points so as to use the extended points first and return the current use years back.. and then I can bank those points for next trip.

In 2020, those points were gone once expired. DVD/DVC did not actually extend owners points but rather gave them points that were owned by them to use as part of the extension,

I think that is why you will call. But, even owners who qualified, had to wait close to a week after expiration to get them reallocated.

Just want to give you info that it may take a few days after August 1st to get it done, especially given the long wait times.

Last edited:
I took advantage of this today. Was holding out hope for an early August trip to Aulani using banked 2019 Oct UY points, but I am in Canada and really don’t think we will be free of travel restrictions by then (at a minimum I expect there will be some period of quarantine for unvaccinated children upon return to Canada). So I called MS, they confirmed the process, cancelled my August reservation and told me to call back the first week of October to apply those extended points to my existing Xmas 2021 trip to Aulani. Sad that I won’t be going, but happy with the extension.

I took advantage of this today. Was holding out hope for an early August trip to Aulani using banked 2019 Oct UY points, but I am in Canada and really don’t think we will be free of travel restrictions by then (at a minimum I expect there will be some period of quarantine for unvaccinated children upon return to Canada). So I called MS, they confirmed the process, cancelled my August reservation and told me to call back the first week of October to apply those extended points to my existing Xmas 2021 trip to Aulani. Sad that I won’t be going, but happy with the extension.
Did they say when the points would show up on your dashboard to be used? Is it not until the start of your UY? Are the points gone between now and then, or still sitting in your account? Just wondering how the process works.

Did they say when the points would show up on your dashboard to be used? Is it not until the start of your UY? Are the points gone between now and then, or still sitting in your account? Just wondering how the process works.

When they extended points last year that would expire, they could not be online and only by calling after the points actually expired and disappeared from ones account.

The reason was that DVC used their own points for owners vs, extending the actual owners points. I would assume the process will be similar.

Mine are still showing in my account but are locked so I can't book anything with them. They are supposed to be available when they get to the next UY but I don't know how.

Yes - Mine are still showing as well. My understanding is that they will disappear once they expire at the end of Sept, and then I can call 7-10 days into my new use year to book or to reallocate the points to existing reservations.

I just remembered that I had an email exchange with Member Services least week before calling today to take advantage of it. Here is an except (looks like they will show up in membership as transferred points with a June 2021 UY):

“At this time, if you were to cancel any reservations utilizing banked in October 2019 Use Year Vacation Points, by reaching out to Member Services, the Vacation Points can be extended for use through the night of May 31, 2022. If not used for travel by the night of May 31, 2022 for travel they would expire. These extended Vacation Points would appear in your Membership as transferred in Vacation Points with a June 2021 Use Year and there would be no further action required on your part, other than the initial correspondence with Member Services.”

Mine are still showing in my account but are locked so I can't book anything with them. They are supposed to be available when they get to the next UY but I don't know how.
This is what mine are doing as well. The agent I talked to told me to call or chat after my AUG 1 UY comes up and they would reallocate the points for our next trip to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter