Interesting possible reason why Genie has been delayed at DL

DLgal

DIS Veteran
So, yesterday we were trying to redeem a DAS at Peter Pan. A delightful CM was trying to help us, but his handheld scanner wouldn't connect. The other CM was helping some wheelchair guests into the exit area, and this CM was like "I'm sorry, I need my friend to help me out here because my scanner won't connect so it might be a couple minutes." I said no hurry, and then made a joke about the horrible, spotty wifi in the parks, to which he replied "we're supposed to be getting upgraded wifi, but I don't know when it's going to be done."

Maybe this is what they need to do before Genie+ launches here? It makes sense. There are numerous wifi dead zones in the parks as well as numerous cell phone dead zones, depending on your carrier. I imagine there would be a LOT of unhappy guests if they couldn't reliably use the app they paid for.

On another note, at 12:00 I was in one of those cell phone dead zones where my internet speed was like 2mbps. I connected to the park wifi and it was not much faster (about 30mbps) but it was fast enough to get a RotR boarding group.

This wouldnt surprise me at all but since we're now seeing Lightning Lane signs going up I expect an announcement any day now with the service be available within the next month

Oh, interesting! I was at the parks yesterday and didn't see any signs going up? Where have they been spotted.

It's quite possible the upgraded wifi is almost done, otherwise the CM would likely not even know that was in the works. They only get told stuff right before we find out about it.

Agree about the spotty WiFi and cell connections. I had a lot of issues last week trying to use the DL app. Frustrating to say the least.

So, yesterday we were trying to redeem a DAS at Peter Pan. A delightful CM was trying to help us, but his handheld scanner wouldn't connect. The other CM was helping some wheelchair guests into the exit area, and this CM was like "I'm sorry, I need my friend to help me out here because my scanner won't connect so it might be a couple minutes." I said no hurry, and then made a joke about the horrible, spotty wifi in the parks, to which he replied "we're supposed to be getting upgraded wifi, but I don't know when it's going to be done."

Maybe this is what they need to do before Genie+ launches here? It makes sense. There are numerous wifi dead zones in the parks as well as numerous cell phone dead zones, depending on your carrier. I imagine there would be a LOT of unhappy guests if they couldn't reliably use the app they paid for.

On another note, at 12:00 I was in one of those cell phone dead zones where my internet speed was like 2mbps. I connected to the park wifi and it was not much faster (about 30mbps) but it was fast enough to get a RotR boarding group.

But there was still a free way to get Fastpasses using the machines. Without that option and with the free Genie, almost everyone will be using the app.
Disney doesn’t care. Just like they don’t care that their IT systems constantly glitch. Or that it can take hours to talk to a person on the phone.

If WiFi isn’t working they figure you will use your data. If that isn’t working they figure you will keep walking until you find a spot it will.

They just. Don’t. Care.

Last edited:
Also, as if I would rely on disney wifi. I think I've always used data at the parks.

I usually do too, trust me. But we happened to be in line in Fantasyland at 11:59 and without the park wifi, we wouldn't have gotten a boarding group at 12:00.

I am curious if we know that it has been "delayed" at DL? Maybe they deliberately rolled it out at one park first? They are updating the signage throughout the parks so who knows if it's necessarily delayed or going according to Disney's plan?

This whole wifi thing is such a pain when coming from overseas.

absolutely true, there is a significant portion of the guests for whom it's hugely unfair. when the whole visit is basically becoming dependent on using wifi, they need to provide good wifi. somehow I doubt that's why they aren't rolling it out though - they know people will pay without questioning whether the wifi is there to support it yet or not

Have signs been spotted any place other than GRR? I agree that they’ve started, but I don’t know that one ride constitutes an immediate change over.

absolutely true, there is a significant portion of the guests for whom it's hugely unfair. when the whole visit is basically becoming dependent on using wifi, they need to provide good wifi. somehow I doubt that's why they aren't rolling it out though - they know people will pay without questioning whether the wifi is there to support it yet or not

I ran into that at Tokyo Disneyland Resort. Couldn't make dining reservations not because of spotty wifi, but because it was only for Japan residents. It really was a bummer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter