In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

I bought the $1 gloves at Target, too! Can you believe I saw those same gloves at Disney yesterday for $17!?!?! The only difference was WDW was imprinted but otherwise exactly the same.

I also found Hanes Her Way sweatshirts (bottoms were also available for the same price) near the Womens/Maternity section. There were a bunch of colors and they were only $3.74 or something. I even got hubby one since it's just a throwaway for us (they go up to XXL). The same sweats in the mens section were $8 on sale. I wear capri type pants because shorts ride up too much so I didn't bother with bottoms--hopefully I won't regret it!

I have a pair of the Disney gloves you're talking about! They are from our Thanksgiving trip we took in 2009. We had no idea it would get so chilly there in November (living in Ohio I think we just think it's warm in Florida all the time) and didn't bring any winter gear, so I forked over the $17. :rolleyes2

I didn't even think to look in Target this year. Sounds like you got some great deals! :thumbsup2 All the Target stuff I have is what I bought for the 2011 Princess Half. But today I did find a zip-up fleece jacket-type thing at Goodwill for $4.62. :thumbsup2 Good enough and I think I'm set on throwaway clothes now. Everything's in the laundry now.

Getting SOOOOOO close!!! :yay: Good luck with the rest of your training! :)

Week 19: Rest Day (unscheduled)
Monday, December 31, 2012

Last night, I laid all of my stuff out in preparation for this morning's strength training workout.
I woke up and drove to the gym as usual...

...and the gym was closed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well, at least that story didn't end with "I drove to the gym as usual...and got in a car accident" or something. Things could be worse. :upsidedow I can't say I've ever been a fan of New Year's Eve (we have big plans to eat some chicken quesadillas at home and attempt to stay up to watch the ball drop or whatever) so I'm mostly annoyed that places I want to go today (the gym, library, etc.) are closed...yet I'm still at work. I'm such a baby. I also feel a little dumb because I'm sure it was posted somewhere that they're closed today. Although I definitely wasn't the only one that came ready to work out...I saw at least 3 other people coming in carrying gym bags. We're just dedicated! :upsidedow

On the bright side, I had a super easy drive in this morning, got a great parking spot, and since I got here at normal gym time I just came into work early...so I can leave early. Woot! :yay:

In other news...I've got some stuff packed. Can't believe I'm leaving for Disney NEXT WEEK! :yay:

L-R: 5K gear, half marathon gear, marathon gear...!!!
photo%25204.JPG

Continued in Next Post

2012 Year in Review

...running, that is. :upsidedow

Total miles run in 2012: 973.57 --> up from 732.31 in 2011. Not bad! Maybe I'll get to 1000 in 2013? :)

The year started off with a bang...

January 8, 2012 - Walt Disney World Marathon
6:20:06 (14:30/mile pace) - PR

My first-ever marathon! :yay:

I ran this race with my brother and had an absolute blast. One of the best experiences of my life.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

The marathon was definitely a turning point for me as far as running goes. I came back from that trip on such a high - I was excited about running and wanted to run as many races as possible. I also found that I was suddenly a lot faster and that running felt GOOD for the first time ever. I'm not sure if it was newly acquired endurance from marathon training, weight loss (which I'll talk about later this week) or both, but at any rate my training runs were at least a minute per mile faster than they had been in the fall, and more often than not I actually enjoyed them. :thumbsup2

March 17, 2012 - Jig & Jog 5K
27:30.4 - pace?? PR(ish...not really)

So with this newly acquired speed I was on a mission to break some of my PRs. I signed up for this inaugural 5K at the last minute and it was AWFUL. It was disorganized (little things were messed up...i.e. bib pick-up started 45 minutes late and there were no safety pins, which isn't a huge deal, just odd), parking was terrible, and the course was SHORT. My Garmin read 2.88 miles at the finish and I KNOW I didn't cut any corners. Normally it's the opposite - a Garmin will have the race distance + more (due to weaving/taking wide turns). So while this is my fastest 5K time, it doesn't really count in my mind. I even emailed the race director about it, and he did confirm that the course was measured incorrectly. :rolleyes2 Lame.

March 14, 2012: Signed up for the 2013 Goofy Challenge!! :cool1:

April 28, 2012 - Cleveland 10-miler
1:39:07 (9:54/mile pace) - PR

This was the 3rd time I have run this race, and it's probably the best race I've ever run at any distance. Everything clicked - I ran a negative split and felt great the entire time, despite the fact that it was snowing. As a bonus, I improved my time by 21 minutes from when I first ran this race in 2010.

April 29, 2012 - Love-A-Stray 5K
28:03.5 (9:03/mile pace) - PR

The next day I ran a REAL 5K PR. Proceeds from this race benefited a local no-kill animal shelter...a cause that is near and dear to my heart since we adopted our monster pup from a rescue organization. There were lots of dogs on the course and there were booths set up in the finish area, so when the race was over Will and I headed home so that I could clean up, and then we brought the monster pup back to peruse the booths and participate in the 2-mile dog walk. Fun day!

May 20, 2012 - Cleveland Half Marathon
2:18:26 (10:35/mile pace)

At the time, this was a half marathon PR for me. We got an unexpected heat wave and a few runners had to be taken off the course in ambulances. I remember being disappointed in my time and feeling like I could have done better, but it was so hot that day that when I look back on it now I'm just glad I got through it. I'll be running the full course of this race in May as my first non-Disney marathon. :eek:

IMG_5474.JPG

July 4, 2012 - Bay Days 5-miler
51:33.0 (10:19/mile pace)

Another hot race. This course is in my town and goes right by my house. I was MISERABLE the entire time. Neighbors sprayed the runners down with hoses and we got popsicles at the finish, which helped my spirits tremendously.

July 15, 2012 - Cleveland FANtastic 4-miler
39:58.0 (10:00/mile pace) - PR

SUPER fun race. We ran across Browns Stadium, onto the Cavs basketball court, and around Progressive Field for the finish. Everyone stopped and took pictures. Definitely the most fun I've had at a non-Disney race...I hope they do it again in 2013.

IMG_0425.JPG

Cavs' arena...no court and no hoops...a bit anti-climactic.
IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

August 14, 2013: Signed up for the WDW 5K...officially going Dopey!

Late August: Training begins for Marathon Weekend 2013! :yay:

November 18, 2012 - Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon
2:13:32 (10:12/mile pace) - PR

My current half marathon PR. After a miserable experience on this course last year I definitely feel like I redeemed myself. :)

photo%25201.JPG

November 22, 2012 - Cleveland Turkey Trot 5-miler
46:11.27 (9:14/mile pace) - PR

A fun race that I've wanted to do for the past few years. Glad I finally got to experience it!

photo%25202.JPG

Here's to an even better running year in 2013!! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Disneyitis?

You know, like Senioritis...when you're a senior in high school/college and graduation is SOCLOSE and you are just totally unmotivated to do anything...and all you can think about is being done?

Well, this morning I was thinking about how I'm like that now that the trip is SOCLOSE. Disney is on the brain 100% of the time and I cannot focus on anything else.

So it was pretty timely that I opened my lunch bag and found this note from Will inside...he's quite an artist! :lovestruc :rotfl2:

photo.JPG

Sidenote: "Tiny Peach" is his nickname for me because I'm shorter than he is, and when we first started dating in college I was a diver and had bruises on my legs a lot from hitting the water (not that I, like, smacked a ton...just part of the territory). So the bruises led him to say I bruised like a peach...hence the peach nickname.

Anyway, the note made me think that perhaps I'm not hiding my Disneyitis too well...can others tell? I need to work on that. :o :goodvibes

In other news, I keep refreshing the dining reservation page looking for a reservation at 'Ohana for 5 (no big deal, not like it's hard and I'm at my computer anyway)...the only one I'd been seeing was a 9:40PM slot, and now the only one I see is a 9:45PM slot. :faint: Somehow it got worse overnight! :lmao: I'll keep trying.

Continued in Next Post

Disneyitis? - UPDATE

So earlier today I posted this:

In other news, I keep refreshing the dining reservation page looking for a reservation at 'Ohana for 5 (no big deal, not like it's hard and I'm at my computer anyway)...the only one I'd been seeing was a 9:40PM slot, and now the only one I see is a 9:45PM slot. :faint: Somehow it got worse overnight! :lmao: I'll keep trying.

And guess what I found about 30 minutes ago?! A reservation for 5 at 7:05PM! You better believe I snatched that thing up so fast!! :cool1:

Canceled the old reservation for 4 and the back-up Grand Floridian Cafe reservation. I know it would have worked out somehow, but it is SUCH a relief to have this all set. I was starting to have visions of myself begging the CMs at the podium to sneak an extra seat up to our table...:faint:

Interesting aside...all day I'd only been seeing the 9:45 slot for 5 open. When I saw the 7:05 there was also an 8:15 that I hadn't seen before. Now the 9:45 is gone at the 8:15 is there by itself. :scratchin I wonder if Disney holds on to some spots until (close to the) last minute? Or maybe people are canceling to make sure they don't get charged since 'Ohana is credit card-guaranteed (which is what I'd been hoping would happen all along)?

Anyhoo, hooray for 'Ohana! I seriously keep looking at the confirmation making sure I didn't make some kind of mistake. Did I accidentally reserve for the wrong day? Breakfast instead of dinner? The wrong number of people.

Nope, we're golden. And I don't have to worry about it anymore (because I would have felt super guilty if something hadn't worked out). :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

IMG_3755.jpg

Continued in Next Post

First of all, congrats for getting that Ohana reservation! I have one for 5pm the night before the 5K I am holding near and dear to my heart. The day before the half, I have reservations at Tony's, which I am super excited about as well. I've never eaten at either.

Anyhow, I'm also glad I'm not the only one plagued with the crazy running dreams. Although yours about the half and full being the same day is just wow! The worst I have dreamed is about not having my shoes and running barefoot. And for some reason, we run on the Boardwalk and I get all kinds of splinters from it and Mickey Mouse tries to help but with those big gloves he can't and he refuses to take them off.

I can't imagine how tired you will be after all of those races! Best of luck to you!

First of all, congrats for getting that Ohana reservation! I have one for 5pm the night before the 5K I am holding near and dear to my heart. The day before the half, I have reservations at Tony's, which I am super excited about as well. I've never eaten at either.

Yeah, there was no way I was NOT going to eat at 'Ohana, so I'm glad it worked out. :) I've never eaten at Tony's either, but you will LOVE 'Ohana. My best advice is to pace yourself...it's a LOT of food!

Anyhow, I'm also glad I'm not the only one plagued with the crazy running dreams. Although yours about the half and full being the same day is just wow! The worst I have dreamed is about not having my shoes and running barefoot. And for some reason, we run on the Boardwalk and I get all kinds of splinters from it and Mickey Mouse tries to help but with those big gloves he can't and he refuses to take them off.
I actually had another dream the other night about the 5K. I forget what happened, but I woke up with an unsettled feeling. :worried:

What is it with barefoot running dreams? Yikes! That's funny that Mickey couldn't help you because of his gloves! :rotfl2:

I can't imagine how tired you will be after all of those races! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I'm gonna need it! :faint:

Week 19: Run #1 (6-mile out-and-back)
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Weather: mid-low 20s with light snow and a slight breeze, overcast

6 miles completed/21 miles planned for the week
475.1 miles completed in training

:yay: HAPPY NEW YEAR! :yay:

So this is exciting. I flipped the calendar today and now the trip is just right there staring back at me. A momentous occasion indeed!

Anyhoo, I started off 2013 with a negative-split out-and-back. It was okay...I probably would have enjoyed it more if it were at least 10 degrees warmer out though. I felt like my legs never really got warmed up and came home with a headache from the cold. I feel better now though!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:20
Mile 2 - 10:25
Mile 3 - 10:27
Mile 4 - 9:51
Mile 5 - 10:04
Mile 6 - 10:01

Total time: 1:01:09
Average pace: 10:11/mile for 6 miles

First 3 miles: 31:12
Second 3 miles: 29:56 -->Negative split!

I think...math might be fuzzy.

In other news, I chatted with my brother today (I called to remind him to send me his stuff so I can pick up his bib at the expo) and flat-out asked him if he's going to run the marathon. My mom has been telling me that he told her he may not, but he hadn't said that to me yet. At first he said probably not, but then he was saying he'd see how he feels after the half. :confused3 We'll see. I think he knows he shouldn't run the marathon but doesn't want to admit it yet. And he's bummed about paying for Goofy but potentially running the half only. Oh well.

So I guess the smart thing for me to do is to really start getting ready to run the marathon by myself. I have mixed feelings on this...I know I'll still have fun, and I'll certainly enjoy being able to call the shots on the pace of the race and when to stop for character pictures and stuff like that (since I'm more into that stuff than he is), but I really do enjoy doing these races with him. But the most important thing is staying smart and safe, and I'm not sure him running the marathon WOULD smart or safe. Not ideal, but at least I still get to run.

Have a great day! :yay: Just 4 more training runs left!!!!!

89678-8937-001f.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Glad you got your first 2013 run out of the way - I did 4 miles on the treadmill.

I can't believe the marathon is so close! Yikes! Last January I was just starting with Couch to 5k again (I always do it in the spring and fall off in the summer - not this year!) :)

If your brother decides not to run the marathon, I am also in Corral C and can hang with you for at least a few miles (I plan on some pictures, but not waiting in super long lines). :)

Glad you got your first 2013 run out of the way - I did 4 miles on the treadmill.

I can't believe the marathon is so close! Yikes! Last January I was just starting with Couch to 5k again (I always do it in the spring and fall off in the summer - not this year!) :)

If your brother decides not to run the marathon, I am also in Corral C and can hang with you for at least a few miles (I plan on some pictures, but not waiting in super long lines). :)

Another C25K graduate! :thumbsup2 That's what I started with, too.

Thanks for the offer to run together for a bit! :) Don't you have a goal time you're shooting for? I thought I remembered you posting that somewhere. I'm not sure that you'd want to run with me since I stop for most of the character photos...wouldn't want to slow you down! :)

Week 19: Strength Training (50% of max reps)
Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Darn. Until I typed out the date above, I totally thought today was Thursday. :sad: I hate when that happens!

I'm calling it - today was my last day of strength training before Marathon Weekend. I feel like I pushed my luck by breaking a taper rule and started having visions of myself tripping over a dumbbell or something. So I'm dunzo. :thumbsup2

Continued in Next Post

Another C25K graduate! :thumbsup2 That's what I started with, too.

Thanks for the offer to run together for a bit! :) Don't you have a goal time you're shooting for? I thought I remembered you posting that somewhere. I'm not sure that you'd want to run with me since I stop for most of the character photos...wouldn't want to slow you down! :)

Uh, I have a time goal, but I am just going to see how it goes. It's my first marathon so I feel like I need to have a goal, but it's Disney and I want to have fun. :confused3

A weight-y issue...Running and Weight Loss

WARNING: This is a long post. If you're not interested in weight loss, you have my permission to skip. Go ahead. I'm not mad. :thumbsup2

I lurk on the WISH boards a lot and really enjoy reading the weight loss journals. It's so inspiring to read success stories and see people like me get healthy. It gives me faith that I can do it too! :cheer2:

Quite often these journals include training for a Disney race as part of the "get healthy" plan. It makes sense - we all love Disney and exercise is an important part of any weight loss plan - but it's interesting that a lot of us seem to equate running alone with weight loss. "I want to lose weight, so I'm going to start running."

So is that how it works? Consider my weight-loss story...

In December 2008 I was in the middle of wedding planning and decided that I could stand to lose a little bit of weight to look my best for the big day. I've mentioned before that my employer (a hospital) is very "wellness"-minded and that those of us that work here have free access to a lot of nice tools to get healthy. For weight loss in particular we can get free memberships to Curves or the fitness center here (which I use for strength training and treadmill runs). There are also at-work Weight Watchers meetings and free visits to the Nutrition Therapy (i.e. dietitian) department available to employees.

To lose weight for my wedding I decided that visits to the nutritionist were the way to go. I'd tried Weight Watchers before in high school and didn't really like the meeting format...a one-on-one visit with a medical professional seemed like a better fit. I'd been living with an "ignorance is bliss" attitude when it came to my weight for quite a while, and my first weigh-in with the nutritionist was shocking - I was 28 pounds over the highest healthy weight for my height. I thought it was more like 10 pounds. :eek: I was so incredibly embarrassed - I had been involved in sports in high school and college, and despite the fact that I wasn't doing any regular exercise at that point I definitely considered myself "active." Clearly something had gone wrong.

It shouldn't have been so shocking, really. I knew what a big part of my problem was - what I ate. I definitely have a sweet tooth and one of my biggest weaknesses is Coca-Cola (regular, not diet or Coke Zero). So in 2008 right before Christmas I began following the plan that the nutritionist laid out for me: eating mostly fruits and veggies, more protein, some dairy and fewer carbohydrates. No sweets and no Coke. In addition, I was also instructed to fit in some regular exercise. I forget how much I was expected to get in, but I know my method of choice was to hit the elliptical some days and do an arm/ab workout on others...gotta look good in the wedding dress, right?

At some point along the way I re-started the Couch-to-5K training plan. I'd already run my first 5K that spring (finish time 37:25, a 12:14/mile pace) and had promptly fallen off the running wagon. I'm not sure what made me re-start training, but my maid of honor/cousin and I completed the same 5K race 2 weeks before my wedding. By my wedding day I'd lost almost 22 pounds, and it showed in my race time - a shiny new 5K PR of 30:23 (9:48/mile pace). I hadn't done any speedwork at all...but it's a lot easier to run when there are 22 less pounds to carry.

So after the 5K came the wedding and our Disney honeymoon! We were on the dining plan and I didn't think about my diet at all...exactly how a honeymoon should be. Somehow I managed to come home at the same weight as I'd been on my wedding day.

smwm_i-211.jpg

DSC01025.JPG

With the wedding over I had absolutely zero motivation to follow the plan the nutritionist had laid out for me. I'm not exactly sure what happened with my weight through the rest of 2009 because I was back to the "ignorance is bliss" state of mind when it came to stepping on the scale. I am also not sure how consistently I ran for the rest of the year, but I did train for and complete my first (and so far only) 10K race. My time was 1:07:36, a 10:38/mile pace...I'm guessing I'd gained back some of the weight already looking at that time, and I remember huffing and puffing a LOT throughout that race.

In January 2010 we bought our house and I set my sights on doing longer races. I had a 10-mile goal race in mind for April...and then I blew out my back (which I talked about here). I know for sure that I gained back a decent amount of weight while recovering from this injury. The recovery was long and painful, and I was just so sad...at times I felt like I would never get back to normal. :sad2: I still ran the 10-miler, finishing in 2:00:42 (12ish min/mile pace). I ran this race with my cousin, brother and friend, and they all smoked me. I think they waited 15-20 minutes for me to finish. I felt out of shape and embarrassed...it was awful.

However this race sort of lit a fire within me - I was determined to feel better about myself. Disney races were on my radar at this point, and my brother agreed to run the 2011 Princess Half with me. I followed the Galloway training plan to the letter and finished with a smile on my face. But despite running consistently leading up to the Princess Half I hated how I looked in the pictures from that trip.

IMG_0160.JPG

Standing super awkwardly in this photo because I had realized how bad I looked in other pictures we'd taken so far on the trip...:worried:

IMG_2482.JPG

Right after the Princess Half I trained for and ran a half marathon at home (finishing in 2:34:53). While training for that race I also ran that same 10-mile race (shaving 6 minutes off my time) and signed up for the 2012 WDW Marathon. By the time our June Disney trip rolled around I'd been running consistently for about a year, and yet when we got pictures taken of ourselves on our trip I still hated the way I looked in the viewfinder. Again, I found myself posing weirdly to try to cover up my flaws.

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_4031.jpg

While training for the 2012 WDW Full Marathon I ran a 5K at home and another half marathon. No improvement in either of my times at those distances.

I forget what made me do it, but earlier in the year I'd asked a co-worker about joining the Weight Watchers At-Work meetings that are run in my department. I was still in my "ignorance is bliss" period when it came to the scale, but I couldn't ignore the fact that I'd gone up a size in all of my clothes, that I cringed every time I looked at photos from our trips to Disney in 2011, and that my running times were not improving. In fact, running wasn't all that enjoyable...just difficult. When I'd originally asked about the meetings it was in the middle of a session, so they weren't taking new registrants at the time and I forgot about it. Then my co-worker approached me again right before the new session began  was I still interested in joining? They needed at least 15 people to be able to hold the meetings.

At first I said no. I was training for the marathon and knew this wasn't the right time to radically change my diet, but she talked me into it, pointing out that I could just phone it in until after the marathon and then fully commit. I said sure, what the heck, and had to face the scale once again the week before Christmas 2011. The verdict? I guess it depends on how you look at it - I either kept off 9 of the pounds I'd originally lost (glass half full) or I'd gained 13 of it back (glass half empty). :headache: Or, duh, it's both. At this point I was just starting to taper for the 2012 Marathon, so I was already done with the higher-mileage weeks. Obviously running more had not helped me lose weight.

So I began following Weight Watchers somewhat half-heartedly - like I said, I didn't want to mess up my marathon training by radically depriving myself of food. I don't want to turn this into a big Weight Watchers ad (I'm sure you all have seen lots of them lately since it's the New Year - so funny to me that this is when they run tons of ads :rotfl2:). There are things I love about the program and things I don't love so much, but I think what made it click for me was the fact that I wasn't depriving myself. I was just forced to become aware of what I was eating. I think this is why I haven't gone back to the nutritionist - initially the plan she gave me worked, but there was always a small voice in the back of my head saying, "this is only temporary. You're going to gain the weight back...this isn't realistic. You can't eat like this forever" (specifically the little-no carbs and no desserts ever - and NO COKE. Are you kidding me?! :faint:). And when I first started the nutritionist's plan I remember a feeling of dread knowing that I was going to have to be super strict and cut out a lot of stuff I liked. In the end over half of the weight I had lost for the wedding came back. :sad2:

Being more aware of what I was eating - portion control, I guess - while not depriving myself really worked for me. So much so that even though I wasn't trying very hard in those first couple of weeks, I headed down to Marathon Weekend 2012 having lost almost 7 pounds in the first two weeks of Weight Watchers...and I felt great! I still didn't love how I looked in pictures, but I definitely saw an improvement compared to the last 2 Disney trips wed taken.

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

After the marathon I kept up with the running and Weight Watchers and got down to my lowest weight in mid-September, right after beginning this thread! :thumbsup2 I weighed 15 pounds less than what I weighed on my wedding day...36 pounds less than I was at my heaviest (at least as far as I know!) :eek:

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

The most interesting part? I averaged 14 miles per week of running during this time and didn't take up strength training until early June. Less than 2.5 hours per week of running. That's not that much...and yet I lost 27 pounds during this time, where I'd been totally stuck in the weeks leading up to the 2012 WDW Marathon.

So what's changed since the fall? Right now I'm about 2-3 pounds above my lowest weight that I hit in September - so I've GAINED weight during marathon training despite the fact that I'm consistently running 4 times per week and am doing strength training 1-2 times per week. And remember how I said above I lost most of the weight while running an average of 14 miles per week? For marathon training I've been averaging 25 miles per week so far...and yet the scale only moves in the upwards direction or doesn't move at all from week to week.

It's funny  my extended family knows I run a lot and when I was at holiday gatherings I got a lot of compliments on how I look, followed by "I need to take up running!" I think this is so common - people think you can just pound the pavement and the weight will fall off. I'm sure that is true for some people, but I can definitely say that for me personally, running alone is not enough. For the past few weeks I've been eating when I'm hungry and it hasn't been the healthiest stuff, to be honest, and I haven't written any of it down (which is one of the cornerstones of Weight Watchers). My number 1 priority has been to prepare for Marathon Weekend, so I'm not surprised that I'm not losing weight right now.

Another reason I wasn't expecting to lose weight while training has to do with what happens to the muscles when training for long-distance running. Part of training is teaching our muscles to store glycogen (carbohydrates) for fuel during the long runs, and along with this glycogen the body needs to store water. This is important - it's what helps keep runners from "hitting the wall" during the marathon...so I definitely dont want to fight it! :teacher: SCIENCE! And also...I'm totally ripped now. HAHAHA not really, but I'm sure I've gained some muscle over the past few weeks (well I'd hope so, anyway), and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. :idea:

And lastly, I've heard that people who sleep better tend to have an easier time losing weight, and Im sure I've whined here a lot about how I didn't get enough sleep the previous night. I'm such a dummy, this is so easy to fix.

INFO!
http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/miles-and-meals
http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-...ure-not-losing-weight-while-training-marathon
http://running.about.com/od/runningandweightloss/f/weightgain.htm

So there you have it. My way-too-long weight loss story, the moral of which is...its not always just about running. Unfortunately one may need to think about diet as well. Which is sad since there's so much delicious, bad-for-you food to eat. :sad:

I'm not sure of a great way to end this post...except to say that one week from tomorrow, I will be in Disney. YAY! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Your trip reports have been so inspiring! I took the plunge and signed up for the WDW marathon in part because of your marathon report, so thank you for that! I am so excited for the race.
I am in C corral too - wouldn't mind some company for at least a few miles if you want! Targeting a 10min/mile pace and planning character stops too. Probably only characters that are unique/unusual or who don't have big lines.
I am Bib # 3538 :cool1:

I did what I think is my last strength workout this morning, along with 4 miles on the treadmill. Glad to finally be tapering!

Go you! Awesome job on the weight loss! :thumbsup2

Running has actually made me gain weight (mostly muscle, I am thin to begin with) but marathon training makes me hungry all the time, so I haven't been eating very well either lately! Running burns a lot of calories, but the intense hunger (and subsequent eating when I haven't been able to fight it) kind of offsets that calorie burn! :rotfl:

Uh, I have a time goal, but I am just going to see how it goes. It's my first marathon so I feel like I need to have a goal, but it's Disney and I want to have fun. :confused3

Gotcha! You will definitely have fun, no doubt about that! :thumbsup2

Your trip reports have been so inspiring! I took the plunge and signed up for the WDW marathon in part because of your marathon report, so thank you for that! I am so excited for the race.
I am in C corral too - wouldn't mind some company for at least a few miles if you want! Targeting a 10min/mile pace and planning character stops too. Probably only characters that are unique/unusual or who don't have big lines.

I did what I think is my last strength workout this morning, along with 4 miles on the treadmill. Glad to finally be tapering!

Awesome, I'm glad I could help you take the plunge! :rotfl2: Well now that I've posted a ridiculous amount of pictures of myself you know what I look like, so definitely say hi if you see me! :)

I'm with you on unique/unusual characters only. Last year I remember seeing a pretty decent-sized line for Tigger and Pooh near the Grand Floridian...:confused3 Perfect example of characters that I like but wouldn't stop for during the race.

And WELCOME TO TAPER!! :yay:

Go you! Awesome job on the weight loss! :thumbsup2

Running has actually made me gain weight (mostly muscle, I am thin to begin with) but marathon training makes me hungry all the time, so I haven't been eating very well either lately! Running burns a lot of calories, but the intense hunger (and subsequent eating when I haven't been able to fight it) kind of offsets that calorie burn! :rotfl:

Thanks! :thumbsup2

OMG...I totally know what you mean about being hungry all the time. I don't know about you but I HATE that. Will and I have this term - "panicky hungry" - where you get so hungry that you start to not feel well. Dizzy, nausea, etc...and then you start to panic. It's the worst, and I have definitely had that feel more than a few times over the past couple of months. :( It's starting to go away now that I've cut back on the miles though! :thumbsup2

OMG...I totally know what you mean about being hungry all the time. I don't know about you but I HATE that. Will and I have this term - "panicky hungry" - where you get so hungry that you start to not feel well. Dizzy, nausea, etc...and then you start to panic. It's the worst, and I have definitely had that feel more than a few times over the past couple of months. :( It's starting to go away now that I've cut back on the miles though! :thumbsup2

OMG! Yes, I get that! I think it must be my blood sugar levels plummeting or something. I start sweating, getting dizzy, feeling like I might pass out, etc. And sometimes, it isn't even that long since I have eaten last!

OMG! Yes, I get that! I think it must be my blood sugar levels plummeting or something. I start sweating, getting dizzy, feeling like I might pass out, etc. And sometimes, it isn't even that long since I have eaten last!

YES. :( Not fun at all! It's frustrating. I am looking forward to eating lots of delicious food at Disney next weekend (!!) to combat my panicky hunger. :thumbsup2

Congrats on the weight loss! I've been doing pretty good with maintaining my weight for the last few years. Certainly running has helped with that but I would like to lose a few more pounds that just won't budge. I know it comes down to eating better but with the holidays and long runs with training for the half that was not happening. A celebratory I-just-ran-over-10-miles beer and of course cookies and rich foods being all over the place these past few weeks has not done me any favors. Now that our vacation is in less than 10 days I'm going to try and be good until we're in Disney World. Then all bets are off while we're there!

I'm right around there - but planning a little slower around 10:45/mile and planning on some character stops without big lines as well. If you want some slower company, I would be glad to run a while with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter