In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

Week 20: The only non-Disney run! (3 miles on the treadmill)
Tuesday, January 8, 2013

3 miles completed/45.2 miles planned for the week(!!!)

**493.1 miles completed in training**

Stick a fork in it...training is DONE. :dance3:

Total time: 29:40 for 3 miles
Average pace: 9:44ish/mile...eh, who cares. :upsidedow

I have decided that I officially cannot read certain threads in the WISH section anymore. Specifically the weather and Goofy challenge threads...I feel like if I look at either one more time I'm going to freak myself out and start over-thinking things and second-guessing myself. I'd say the Marathon Weekend thread is getting close to unreadable as well, and that's not a dig at anyone else posting there in the slightest...just me being nuts. :upsidedow

With that sort-of-kind-of-not-really rant out of the way, here comes some rambling you probably don't care so much about. :teeth: This is what's left on my agenda:

Today: WORK. :eek: This is getting tough because in addition to taking tomorrow, Thursday and Friday off for the trip I'm also taking all of next week (my present to myself for taking fewer days off around the holidays :thumbsup2). The hope is that by the time I do go back to work I'll be walking normally again...seriously. :eek: Anyhoo, while I'm certainly looking forward to the time off, the crappy thing is that everyone else is getting back into normal work more after the holidays...which means 1. I'm going to be a busy little bee today, 2. People that know I'll be out are bugging me for stuff before I leave (luckily I knew about most of it and am pretty well-prepared :thumbsup2), and 3. My inbox is going to be INSANE when I get back. You know who can handle that problem? Future Shannon.

I asked for this time off a few months ago, so I certainly don't feel guilty about it...if anything it'll just make today go by faster. :woohoo: I dig it.

Oh, and then we'll have waffles for dinner. YUM! :woohoo:

Tomorrow: No work :thumbsup2, but still a full day. I've come up with a small list of things I want to take care of before the trip. First on the list is hot yoga flow - I'm banking on this to calm/relax me after what promises to be a crazy work day today and before the madness of the weekend comes. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to class and am definitely going to be gentle. The downside is that the class is at 6:30AM! :eek: Then again, it's not like I won't be waking up super early 3 days in a row at Disney for the races :headache: (Sidenote: I am getting REALLY nervous for the wake-ups...) After yoga I'll head back home for a shower and off to Weight Watchers to weigh in :headache: followed by breakfast.

Then my little errands...first I need coffee creamer for our hotel room at the Grand, and the stuff I want is only at one freaking store. :headache: I can't use the powder stuff (doesn't agree with my stomach :sick:)...the liquid stuff is fine but I need something that can travel, i.e. doesn't need refrigeration...which means those little plastic containers of cream you see at restaurants. Why are these so hard to find? :mad: So yeah, off to get those, then to Target (sunscreen, contact fluid, HAIR TIES - the ones I have SUCK, always stretching out and/or breaking, so I am going to splurge on better ones, etc.), possibly a stop at our local Disney Store...cuz why not? :teeth: and then to Bruegger's to get bagels for breakfast the morning of the races. WHEW. :faint:

Then pizza for dinner! YUM.

Thursday: DISNEY!!!!! :hyper:

I think it still hasn't hit me that the trip is really almost here. Get with the program, me!!! ::yes::

And before I forget...if you haven't, check out runDisney's Facebook page. They've been posting lots of exciting pictures - a volunteer unpacking Goofy medals, the ribbon on the half marathon medal, the mock-up of the marathon medal...excitement!!!

ETA: Forgot about this...did anyone see the Marathon Weekend Vinylmation? I am not a Vinylmation fan but I think I may need to grab this (along with the medals). Hopefully they don't sell out. And I really, REALLY need to remember to grab my D&B Marathon Weekend bag!

IMG_5154.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Is anyone out there signing up for the 4:15 pace group?

If I weren't planning on stopping for photos or doing Goofy I probably would try for right around 4:30. Check out the Events/Competition section of the WISH area of the boards for pacer information. :)

Ahhhh! I can't believe your training is done!

I have a 3-miler today and a 2-miler tomorrow and then I am done too!

I am seriously freaked out about the weather (mostly because it is winter here in PA and I haven't run in anything over 60º for several months). I am thinking about carrying my water bottles on my iFitness belt, but I seriously didn't want to (doing a long run without that extra pound or so on my back would be so nice! not that they bother me, just didn't want the extra weight). But I know once I get there on Thursday and acclimate to it, I should be fine. I am hydrating like crazy now.

Are you still doing throw away clothes? I am thinking about taking one sweatshirt that I was going to get rid of anyway...

If I weren't planning on stopping for photos or doing Goofy I probably would try for right around 4:30. Check out the Events/Competition section of the WISH area of the boards for pacer information. :)

I'm disappointed there isn't a 4:45 pacer since there are 15-minute increments up until that point. Argh!

I would try for the 5:00 pacer, but I think they will be in a farther back corral. My goal is to keep ahead of them. :)

Ahhhh! I can't believe your training is done!

I have a 3-miler today and a 2-miler tomorrow and then I am done too!

A 3-miler and a 2-miler?! That's nothing! :teeth:

I am seriously freaked out about the weather (mostly because it is winter here in PA and I haven't run in anything over 60º for several months). I am thinking about carrying my water bottles on my iFitness belt, but I seriously didn't want to (doing a long run without that extra pound or so on my back would be so nice! not that they bother me, just didn't want the extra weight). But I know once I get there on Thursday and acclimate to it, I should be fine. I am hydrating like crazy now.

That's why I can't read the weather thread anymore. Thinking about changing your hydration/pace strategy, like you're talking about, is one thing...but people saying stuff like "I was so looking forward to this and now I just want it to be over and it's going to be horrible" (paraphrasing) is a little dramatic for my taste. :confused3 I'm coming from similar weather conditions (Ohio...20s/30s and snow) and I think the fact that you and I have done a few treadmill runs will really help.

And yeah...I'm drinking water like it's my JOB! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Are you still doing throw away clothes? I am thinking about taking one sweatshirt that I was going to get rid of anyway...

I was talking to Will about this yesterday...I do think I am going to bring them, because I want them gone either way. At least I'll be comfy...and if I get there and don't want them right away I'll just put them right in a bin. Then I have lots of room in my suitcase for souvenirs! :thumbsup2

I'm disappointed there isn't a 4:45 pacer since there are 15-minute increments up until that point. Argh!

I would try for the 5:00 pacer, but I think they will be in a farther back corral. My goal is to keep ahead of them. :)

Yeah, not sure why there isn't one? :confused3 I'd like to beat my time from last year but beyond that I'm in it for the CHARACTERS (as you know)...so I'm not envisioning anything amazing from me this weekend. :goodvibes Except for, you know, finishing and being alive while doing so. That's definitely something! :thumbsup2

Before you leave us for your adventure I wanted to say good luck! Thanks for taking all of us along on your training. You are always inspirational! I know you will do great and I can't wait for the trip report so don't make us wait!:rolleyes1

And please, don't worry about the temps. If you have been running on a treadmill you have been running in 70+ temps already. And the weather highs usually peak in the afternoon, so while it will be getting warmer when you run, it's not going to be hot. I did a local Texas half marathon in September so all of my training was in the summer. There where days when the LOWS were 90+ degrees. Yuck! :faint: You won't have anything like that. My recommendation would be to drink water when you are thirsty and stop for character photos for a break and you are already planning on doing those things. So don't psyche yourself out. You've done this before. You will be awesome!

Before you leave us for your adventure I wanted to say good luck! Thanks for taking all of us along on your training. You are always inspirational! I know you will do great and I can't wait for the trip report so don't make us wait!:rolleyes1

Thank you so much! :) I try to write my trip reports quickly so I don't forget any details, so I'm sure it won't be long. Plus I get so excited that I just want to post it ASAP! :upsidedow

And please, don't worry about the temps. If you have been running on a treadmill you have been running in 70+ temps already. And the weather highs usually peak in the afternoon, so while it will be getting warmer when you run, it's not going to be hot. I did a local Texas half marathon in September so all of my training was in the summer. There where days when the LOWS were 90+ degrees. Yuck! :faint: You won't have anything like that. My recommendation would be to drink water when you are thirsty and stop for character photos for a break and you are already planning on doing those things. So don't psyche yourself out. You've done this before. You will be awesome!

YES. I know how challenging it is going to be to run in warmer-than-normal temperatures, but reading about people freaking out and wanting to try salt tablets for the first time, etc. is just going to freak ME out.
ETA: I bolded what you said above, that I've done this before. I think I need to keep that in mind...staring down your first marathon is SO different than getting ready for the second, so I totally understand that people are nervous. But I HATE reading that people just want it to be over. Makes me want to develop some kind of magic powers that allow me to reach through my computer and shake them. I don't know how many times I've typed out something along the lines of "You will love this! You will have a great time!" I hate than people want it to end before it's even begun. I've never felt that way about a Disney race...warm forecast or otherwise. :confused:

90+ degrees as a low?! YIKES. You're a rockstar! :eek:

I'm drinking from my big ol' Nalgene bottle right now! And yep, plenty of character stops in my future. :teeth: Thanks so much for the encouragement, and for reading!!

Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about your races! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for the comment and for reading!!! :yay:

Just read your whole PTR and wanted to say good luck this weekend. My sister and I are planning on doing the goofy (maybe the Dopey) in 2014. You had some great running tips. I was training for the 2011 Goofy when I overtrained and fractured my hip. Haven't been the same since. I am taking it slow though and building back up to running ability again. (I know, it has been over 2 years, but it really threw me off).

Well, good luck and can't wait to read your trip report.

Congratulations on being done with training! Waffles for dinner...I had waffles for lunch yesterday! Made a big batch to freeze so I can take some with me to eat after the marathon (we are driving down and staying in a DVC villa):rotfl2:

Thanks for sharing your training report - you really stuck with your plan and got it all done! So impressed. :worship: I had to modify my plan several times for various reasons. You are going to do great!:thumbsup2

Yay it's almost here!!! I can't wait for your trip report either!!! I fly out at 5:25am tomorrow!!! I am pumped about the weather....it's gonna be great nothing will compare to tower of terror heat!! I am going to enjoy every last second and see as many characters as possible! I wanted to tell you to think about getting some emijay hair ties they are amazing they never break and they don't give your hair that weird pony tail feel;) I'm going to the expo on Thursday I can let you know if they are running low on the 26.2 stickers if you want....

90+ degrees as a low?! YIKES. You're a rockstar! :eek:

Lol. I'm not a rock star. I'm a dope (which is not as cool as being Dopey like you!) And I don't learn because I will be signing up for the Dumbo Double Dare, which means more summer training. Oh well, it will be worth it for my FIRST Disney half marathon! :woohoo:

I just wanted stop by and wish you good luck this weekend! Your training reports have been a huge inspiration to me. I have really enjoyed following along and I can't wait to read your trip report!

Yay for finishing training! I have a 3 mile run after work today and then I'm done :cool1:

Good luck with all your races and I hope you have tons of fun!

I've been following along since I enjoyed your previous Marathon and PHM reports so much :thumbsup2

I've enjoyed your side comments and vents as well as I can relate to most of them - I too get frustrated when people don't plan ahead (or train enough), and I worry that people in my group are in fact having a fun time!

You have done amazing with your training, so go out there and have a great time this weekend...can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

Just read your whole PTR and wanted to say good luck this weekend. My sister and I are planning on doing the goofy (maybe the Dopey) in 2014. You had some great running tips. I was training for the 2011 Goofy when I overtrained and fractured my hip. Haven't been the same since. I am taking it slow though and building back up to running ability again. (I know, it has been over 2 years, but it really threw me off).

Well, good luck and can't wait to read your trip report.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the good luck wishes! Oh wow, a fractured hip...I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( You're smart to take it slowly after recovering fron an injury like that. Best of luck to you and your sister for Dopey/Goofy 2014! :)

Congratulations on being done with training! Waffles for dinner...I had waffles for lunch yesterday! Made a big batch to freeze so I can take some with me to eat after the marathon (we are driving down and staying in a DVC villa):rotfl2:

Thanks for sharing your training report - you really stuck with your plan and got it all done! So impressed. :worship: I had to modify my plan several times for various reasons. You are going to do great!:thumbsup2

Thanks! Oh man...waffles. Yeah, pretty good batch yesterday, if I do say so myself. :rolleyes1 Very smart to freeze some and take them with you. I had never frozen waffles before until very recently...WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS?! So easy to just pop them in the toaster. It's ridiculous how much that revelation blew my mind.

I totally understand needing to modify your training plan...life just gets in the way sometimes.

Good luck this weekend! I hope you have a fabulous time! :wave:

Yay it's almost here!!! I can't wait for your trip report either!!! I fly out at 5:25am tomorrow!!! I am pumped about the weather....it's gonna be great nothing will compare to tower of terror heat!! I am going to enjoy every last second and see as many characters as possible! I wanted to tell you to think about getting some emijay hair ties they are amazing they never break and they don't give your hair that weird pony tail feel;) I'm going to the expo on Thursday I can let you know if they are running low on the 26.2 stickers if you want....

AHHH! Safe travels! I got an email this morning telling me I could check in for my flight online. We are SOOOO close! :yay: I hope you and your husband have a great race...seriously, from what I have read about the night races, this experience is going to be so different for you. It'll be like...night and day.

Okay, that was awful. Apologies. :p

Arg, I wish I had seen your ponytail holder recommendation! I ended up getting these from Target...I hope they work! I am bringing the whole pack with me just in case.

ETA: WOW...that is a large picture. I have no idea how to make it smaller...at least you can see all the details! :rotfl2:

71ki3cJqWdL._SL1500_.jpg

(source: Amazon)

I'll actually be at the expo on Thursday too! Maybe I'll see you there! :wave: Hope you enjoy your first Marathon Weekend!

Lol. I'm not a rock star. I'm a dope (which is not as cool as being Dopey like you!) And I don't learn because I will be signing up for the Dumbo Double Dare, which means more summer training. Oh well, it will be worth it for my FIRST Disney half marathon! :woohoo:

Dope vs. Dopey...LOL!

Lucky you...I would LOVE to do the Dumbo Double Dare and get the C2C medal, but it's just not in the cards this year. Financially and timing-wise it just won't work out. :sad:

I have heard great things about Disneyland. I hope you have a great time!! And good luck with that summer training. :eek:

I just wanted stop by and wish you good luck this weekend! Your training reports have been a huge inspiration to me. I have really enjoyed following along and I can't wait to read your trip report!

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes! Yep, I'll definitely be posting a (massive) trip report afterward. :)

Yay for finishing training! I have a 3 mile run after work today and then I'm done :cool1:

Good luck with all your races and I hope you have tons of fun!

Woohoo! You're almost done too! Thanks for the good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful race! :yay:

I've been following along since I enjoyed your previous Marathon and PHM reports so much :thumbsup2

I've enjoyed your side comments and vents as well as I can relate to most of them - I too get frustrated when people don't plan ahead (or train enough), and I worry that people in my group are in fact having a fun time!

You have done amazing with your training, so go out there and have a great time this weekend...can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

Hi, thanks for reading and commenting! :wave: Glad you've enjoyed my vents and I didn't sound like a huge jerk. :o Yes, I will totally be worrying about whether everyone else is having fun or not (since I feel like I am the one that dragged them on the trip...as much as one can "drag" people to Disney)...I'm going to try not to focus on it so much though, because then I won't have fun.

Thanks again for stopping by! :wave:

Week 20: Yoga
Wednesday, January 9, 2012

So this morning I went to a hot yoga flow class. This was different than Saturday's class, which was "warm" yoga.

Warm yoga: Studio heated to 80-85 degrees
Hot yoga: Studio heated to 90-95 degrees

I have heard amazing things about hot yoga, and I definitely enjoyed the class, but I think I liked the "warm" version better. Hot yoga was just a little too...hot for my tastes. :confused3 It got the job done though - I feel loose, relaxed and calm, and that was the goal. Now that I have found this new studio I am definitely going to try to keep up with yoga regularly. I think it would help with running a lot. :thumbsup2

This class was at 6:30 this morning (!...feels like ages ago at this point in the day) and there were 9 of us (4 guys, 5 ladies). After class I came home, took a shower and then went back to sleep! :o I'm so lame. Then it was time to run some last-minute errands before the trip.

Some of the stops I made were just general things we need around the house, but some were trip-specific. I axed the visit to our Disney Store (because DUH, I'll be in Disney tomorrow and am definitely planning on a World of Disney stop :yay:) and ended up getting the following stuff for my trip:

- Coffee creamer for our room - I can't handle the power stuff, so I got the small liquid containers similar to what you find in restaurants.
- Plain bagels for breakfast the morning of the races (bringing 5)
- Cash from the ATM
- Wet dog food...the pup has an intestinal condition, most likely something that he picked up in the puppy mill he was in before he was rescued, so he needs medicine every day. The medicine is in powder form and it's easiest to just stick it in a small amount of wet food. He gobbles it right up. Luckily the medicine is really cheap ($25 worth lasts us 6-8 months) and it helps him so much. The best way I can describe what he has is to compare it to IBS in people...it took FOREVER to figure out what the problem was. Our vet is a genius.

Apologies for that TMI ramble...in return here's a picture of the little guy:

IMG_2903.JPG

The last stop was Target...the place where I know I will never come out without spending at least $80. :( Lots of trip stuff here - a blank notebook for keeping track of everything (i.e. for the trip report! :yay:), sunscreen, a new razor, travel contact solution, etc.

So I think I'm ready. Just need to finish packing!!!!!

Continued in Next Post

Honestly, that little dog is just the cutest thing ever!

Great job on all the training and great luck (to both of us!) in the race!!! It's almost here!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter