Ideas needed for 8 yo BOY for Christmas that is not into toys

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
The title of the thread makes me sad! My daughter played with toys until 7th grade! My nephew isn't into toys. He loves helping, fixing, etc. I purchased him a tool kit for Christmas. My mom is trying to think of something to get him as well since he is not interested in toys. Anyone else have a similar situation and gift ideas? My parents make a generous donation into his education fund but do like him to have something to open as well. THANKS!!!!

The title of the thread makes me sad! My daughter played with toys until 7th grade! My nephew isn't into toys. He loves helping, fixing, etc. I purchased him a tool kit for Christmas. My mom is trying to think of something to get him as well since he is not interested in toys. Anyone else have a similar situation and gift ideas? My parents make a generous donation into his education fund but do like him to have something to open as well. THANKS!!!!

It depends on what help/fixing he likes to do?

For my similar no toy boy, he's totally into movies and being a director. So, he's getting a how to do horror makeup kit, tons of DVDs and Blu Rays, a scratch off classic movie poster (so he can mark off as he watches movies), and some horror movie icon Tshirts...

For my no toy girl who wanted to learn how to hand sew stuffies, but wanted no kits, I got a sewing kit with the works, 6 different fabrics at 2yrds each, and 2 lbs of Poly Fil...I'm still deciding if I'll add any extra to her idea:)...

If he's a builder, you could literally buy him the parts to build things. I know you got the tool kit, but you could also get the raw materials for him to build. Not sexy, but probably gonna make his year (and with the raw materials, I might also get 1-2 kits so he has something he could build already with step by step instructions).

What about Kiwi crates? There are subscriptions or you can just buy individual crates in their store. My son also loves to build and these have been a hit!

There are loads of STEM kids on the market that would probably interest him.
You could also ask people to contribute to his 529 plan in lieu of gifts if he's not really super into gifts of any type. College savings is never a bad thing.

Bike accessories such a a light, or lock?
Mini hockey sticks?
Slippers, etc.?
Interesting candy?

Would he play with Legos? I know that’s a toy, but I’m 45 and I love Legos!

Does he like sports? If so, sportswear, tickets to a sporting event, sports equipment, etc?

Board/card games?

Does he play video games? Around here, that is the thing with boys that age.

Small bars of precious metals like pewter or silver were of interest to friends of mine at that age. Also, collectible coins.

Model car kits to differentiate a bit from the building, craft style kits. Would also second the idea of experience themed gifts - who doesn't enjoy a movie day or a trip for their favorite snack.

hoverboard
scooter
new bike
sports equipment
favorite team merchandise
a nice set of books
musical instruments
science kits
models
a pet lizard, turtle, fish, hamster etc (with parents permission of course)

a pet lizard, turtle, fish, hamster etc (with parents permission of course)

Unless the parents are cool with handling a 200$ vet bill for a sick hamster etc. please do not gift animals even with permission. Animals are not gifts.

Those other ideas are all good things. Not trying to offend but with animal rescues around here there are far too many animals the parents think are a great idea to 'teach responsibility' which are then abandoned once the real cost of proper animal care comes along.

Unless the parents are cool with handling a 200$ vet bill for a sick hamster etc. please do not gift animals even with permission. Animals are not gifts.

Those other ideas are all good things. Not trying to offend but with animal rescues around here there are far too many animals the parents think are a great idea to 'teach responsibility' which are then abandoned once the real cost of proper animal care comes along.

I'm not offended at all, it was a suggestion based on the assumption that OP's parents would know whether or not their child (not sure if it's mom or dad) would be willing to take on the responsibility of a pet.
For the many people who do abandon those "so cute" pets when the reality of pet ownership sets in, there are more that are loving, responsible owners.

I'm not offended at all, it was a suggestion based on the assumption that OP's parents would know whether or not their child (not sure if it's mom or dad) would be willing to take on the responsibility of a pet.
For the many people who do abandon those "so cute" pets when the reality of pet ownership sets in, there are more that are loving, responsible owners.

No worries. I like to think that, I'm just a part of a lot of rodent rescue boards and people don't realize a hammy or rat can cost 500$ plus for basic care (First vet + cage + basic supplies). Too many think "Oh, it cost 12$ so I'll just get a new one." Which is terrible. The smallest pets are the biggest responsibilities. <3

To stay on topic I cruised around a few things online and had some gift ideas
Kids art projectors are great for drawing
lap desk for reading or doing schoolwork
Leatherworking or wood carving tools
Some nice new markers or pens if he draws
One of those nice backpacks with the padded straps for schoolbooks
Maybe some jeans or a jean jacket and a denim decorating kit
New shoes because man does that age group grow fast!
Theme park tickets, or a night at a Great Wolf Lodge for him and family
Maybe a cooking class that's appropriate for his age group

Guiness Book of World Records book - my DS always loved that one every year.
Snap Circuits - a toy - but about electric circuits, so more of science project.
Mini drone
Geodes or crystal growing kits
Rock tumbler kit or paper making kit
Ant farm or butterfly garden
Terrarium
If a cold climate - sled and those snow brick makers - he can build forts!

Last edited:
There's a store close to where I live that has geodes you can open yourself. My nephew loved doing this at that age. I'm sure they have them online as well.

No worries. I like to think that, I'm just a part of a lot of rodent rescue boards and people don't realize a hammy or rat can cost 500$ plus for basic care (First vet + cage + basic supplies). Too many think "Oh, it cost 12$ so I'll just get a new one." Which is terrible. The smallest pets are the biggest responsibilities. <3

I was going to post the same for the turtles - my kids both bought a $10 turtle at a fair 6 years ago. I googled how to take care of them on the way home and just about sent them back. We are well over $1000 just in equipment (which they keep outgrowing) plus food and vet bills (try even finding a vet that sees turtles). Now, they have decided they can no longer live in the same tank so I'm in the process of putting a second one together. Lizards aren't any easier from what I understand. Thankfully, the poster that suggested did clarify "with parents permission."

It sounds like the OP figured out an awesome gift. I've got 2 boys that were never into toys. My youngest is 9, he wants an erector set, KNex crane set, and I found a microscope on Amazons cyber Monday sale. I've also done the tool and building material thing.

Another suggestion would be kitchen stuff and a kid level cookbook. That way he could help in the kitchen.

Thank you DuskKodesh, Animals are living creatures. A Venus fly trap could be kind of cool though.:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!