I won't give in till I reach the end... and then I'll start again (comments welcome)

Oh yeah one of my editorial notes... I read a woman gloating about her "kills" on the Rise and Run podcast Facebook group and it got me so riled up.

I am the kind of person who doesn't like not being the best. In running, I'm a middle-of-the-pack runner at best. Running teaches me humility every day. I'll never BQ and that's fine. The aspect that attracted me the most to rD races is the fact that it's supposed to be about the pleasure of running and the overall accomplishment. NOT your group placement or your finishing time. It brings me back to why I love running. So it really irks me when I see people boast about "beating" other people, especially in a runDisney race.
I mean, it's especially dumb at a Disney race because probably most people are not running their fastest on purpose. It's not really a victory if you pass someone who wasn't trying...

Thanks Gadget, it helps to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

If I'm a middle of the pack runner, I can't imagine how it is for ppl stressing about the 16-min-mile pacing have people pass them with a kill count on their back.

If I'm a middle of the pack runner, I can't imagine how it is for ppl stressing about the 16-min-mile pacing have people pass them with a kill count on their back.

Honestly, that is in poor taste at any race. I absolutely play the game where I pick someone ahead of me and work to pass them. It keeps me focused and helps me push when I need the help. But it’s stupid to 1. Keep track of the numbers like that matters and 2. Gloat about it on a shirt.

I’m glad you enjoyed your solo race weekend! The conditions sounded tough, especially if you’re coming from somewhere that’s already cooling off. You are so close to breaking the 1hr 10k mark. That’s a great goal headed into the next training cycle! I’m rooting for you!

Yeah I've already thought of the hammer for J. I was going to ask if they're allowed by runDisney or are considered a weapon. I know it'll be in the hands of a 10 year-old boy but still, you never know ;)
Highly likely that you'd be fine. It's more things that look like actual weapons that are a no. But a foam light-up hammer is unlikely to be an issue based on what I've seen in the past.

I carried a pretty realistic looking heavy foam hatchet for the W&D 5K (costume was the bride from Haunted Mansion). Nobody at TSA (it was in my carry-on) or Disney security batted an eye or even asked to see it up close. You'll be fine.

I am the kind of person who doesn't like not being the best. In running, I'm a middle-of-the-pack runner at best. Running teaches me humility every day. I'll never BQ and that's fine. The aspect that attracted me the most to rD races is the fact that it's supposed to be about the pleasure of running and the overall accomplishment. NOT your group placement or your finishing time. It brings me back to why I love running. So it really irks me when I see people boast about "beating" other people, especially in a runDisney race.
THANK YOU for calling this out! The DLS thing has always bothered me and I thought I was just being overly sensitive. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone thinking this is not at all in the spirit of rD.

Back to Princess!

My ultimate goal for Princess Weekend is to run the 10k in under 1 hour. Right now, my motivation just isn't there. I appreciate Billy lowering my expectations and now I'm wondering if I should go for it or not. Should I push during another training cycle, or should I try to maintain over the winter and have fun during the Challenge? Physically and mentally, I feel exhausted. This morning was a Feels Like of 5F when I got up to run and I was like hecknah, I'm staying in bed. For cold temps, I'm usually 100% Canadian - I have no issues going to run in the cold and I thrive in these conditions, as long as I don't get frostbite ;) So if I can't handle the first cold front of the year, what's it gonna be in the middle of January?

At the same time, seeing SheHulk perform so well with her last HM gives me hope that I can achieve similar goals in the coming months/years. But maybe right now is not that time?

Otherwise, my B goals for this training cycle are to:
- Prioritize strength training even if it means running less. I want to stay injury free. I've signed up for Run Fit Mama's 30-day December core challenge as a first step.
- Lose weight. I'm convinced, for better or worse, that I'll be faster if I shed some pounds.

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 29.83k/18.54 miles
  • Running Time = 3:59
  • Strength Training Time = 0:45
Monday
  • Planned: 5.25k @ EB + Strides
    • Completed: 3.28mi/5.27k in 38:01
  • Temps were around freezing point. Felt amazing. Avg HR was 139 and Max HR was 153, which is really good for me.
Tuesday
  • Planned: 2 km @ WU + 4 sets of (150m R + 2 min WU + 150m R + 2 min WU + 300m R + 4 min WU) + 2 km @ CD
    • Completed: 5.14mi/8.27km in 59:30
  • This run was all over the place. I hadn't carefully looked at the plan before going out and I haven't really run 150m/300m intervals in the last year, so I felt like I had lost all my bearings. But I did it! :)
Wednesday
  • Planned: 4k @ EA
    • Completed: 3.18mi/5.12k in 38:12
  • Wednesdays are my running group night, and they'll prolly always do a 5k. Pace was faster than my planned EA, which is in the 12:30mi/min range.
Thursday
  • Rest day
Friday
  • Planned: 4k @ EB + Strides
    • Completed: 2.49mi/4k in 28:50
  • We had our first real snow of the year over Wed/Thurs. The asphalt was icy so I went easy on the strides.
  • I did 45 minutes of strengthening. Yay me! I felt sore the next day so I know I did something good. I'm so bad at Renegade Rows :rotfl2: Anything that's upper body strength really.
Saturday
  • Planned: 8.75k @ LR
    • Completed: 4.45mi/7.16km in 1:14:50
  • Winter running brings trail running! Yay again! Felt good to work other muscles like my hamstrings and my stabilizers.
  • According to Garmin, my run had 280 yards total ascent. 💪
Sunday
  • Rest day
  • No workout with the kids. I kinda forgot we'd be training for a 5k in the middle of winter.

@DopeyBadger since I faded a lot in the last CV workout, should I redo the same one?

Here was the last one:
6 x 4 min @ CV

Here is the one on my plan for this week:
5 x 5 min @ CV

At the same time, seeing SheHulk perform so well with her last HM gives me hope that I can achieve similar goals in the coming months/years. But maybe right now is not that time?

Otherwise, my B goals for this training cycle are to:
- Prioritize strength training even if it means running less. I want to stay injury free. I've signed up for Run Fit Mama's 30-day December core challenge as a first step.
- Lose weight. I'm convinced, for better or worse, that I'll be faster if I shed some pounds.
Who, me? :cutie: A few details that may be relevant only to me:
1) I didn't start training with any kind of urgency until my kids were in high school. I just couldn't fit everything into my schedule prior to that. Especially having a long commute for work and a kid with disabilities that require a lot of appointments and school meetings. I didn't have the mental/emotional/energy bandwidth to train hard prior to that. And I'm fine with that, life has its seasons and I was able to enjoy running as it was at that time. Keeping consistent during the low seasons just keeps you ready to capitalize when a better season comes along.
2) I'm looking to prioritize strength training over the winter too. Here's hoping my motivation for this sticks this time.
3) I don't mention it much on here, but I lost about 20 lbs over covid times and I believe this was a huge factor in the gains I have made on race times in the past 2 years (along with training properly of course). Not saying you personally have that much weight to lose, or if you need to lose weight at all to get faster, but I do believe that was a major factor for me.
PS running in winter sucks and I can't even imagine what you folks north of the border deal with. Super impressive.

@DopeyBadger since I faded a lot in the last CV workout, should I redo the same one?

Here was the last one:
6 x 4 min @ CV

Here is the one on my plan for this week:
5 x 5 min @ CV

Do 8 x 3 min at CV. The reasoning is that coming off the October M you may have jumped back into hard training a touch toon soon. So 5 x 5 min CV is definitely too aggressive at this moment, and even the 6 x 4 min you've already done may have been as well. Better to take a bit of a step back at this moment given the timing since the M and how you currently describe feeling about training.

Don't forget that it's good to take a break sometimes! I've tried pushing through training when my heart wasn't in it, and it never goes well. However, if I take a few days off, all of a sudden I'm wanting to run again.
Yeah, it's why I'm questioning myself at the moment. I jump from one training cycle to the next, without really taking much time off. Maybe this winter is a good time to back off, just enjoy Princess Weekend, and start training harder again in the spring.

1) I didn't start training with any kind of urgency until my kids were in high school. I just couldn't fit everything into my schedule prior to that. Especially having a long commute for work and a kid with disabilities that require a lot of appointments and school meetings. I didn't have the mental/emotional/energy bandwidth to train hard prior to that. And I'm fine with that, life has its seasons and I was able to enjoy running as it was at that time. Keeping consistent during the low seasons just keeps you ready to capitalize when a better season comes along.
Thank you so much for your comment 🙏 My kids are 10 & 7, both have ADHD and don't do too well in school because of that. So that does take up time, and I know you understand that as well.

This being said, I'll probably still follow Billy's plan from last year, cause it looks fun :) And that's what running is supposed to be about no?

Back to Princess!

After my mini downer last week, my running mood has gone back up this week. I've tried concentrating on running by perceived effort rather than looking at my heart rate or at my pace. I feel more satisfied after my runs because of this. So I follow the plan, but I also try to do what feels good that day.

The weather has been fairly cold, around freezing point [30-38F]. I've tried to underdress as much as I can. I can feel my HR staying low because I don't get hot.

Weekly Summary:
  • Running Distance = 34.78k/21.62 miles
  • Running Time = 4:14
  • Strength Training Time = 1:36
Monday
  • Planned: 6k @ EB + Strides
    • Completed: 3.57mi/5.75k in 41:05
  • All I remember is that I didnt go running in the early morning, so I went for a run during my lunch hour. I was in such a hurry to finish it that I forgot about my strides.
  • Strength Training in the evening. Different sets of the following :
    • Side Lunges
    • Triceps Dips
    • Reverse Lunges
    • Biceps Curls
    • Bridges with Leg Extensions (boy do I need to do these. My hamstrings/glutes feel so weak)
    • Lying Straight-Leg Raises, or as Greg McMillan calls them, Jane Fondas
    • Inchworms
    • Fire Hydrants
    • Clam Shells
    • Bird Dogs
    • Dead Bugs
    • Finishing with what I call the plank barbecue, where I rotate the plank on all 4 sides
Tuesday
  • 45 minute yoga class
  • Planned: 2 km @ WU + (4x150m @ R w/ 2 min RI) + (3x300m @ R w/ 4 min RI) + (4x150m @ R w/ 2 min RI) + 1 km @ CD
    • Completed: 5.02mi/8.08km in 1:00:00
  • Went for this run late in the evening.
Wednesday
  • Planned: 4k @ EA
    • Completed: 3 miles in 38:03
  • Running group night. I just follow the group's pace.
Thursday
  • Rest day
Friday
  • Planned: 6k @ EB + Strides
    • Completed: 3.74mi/6.01k in 44:39
  • I was so distracted during my run that I completely forgot about the strides. So twice this week that I skipped them.
  • Strength Training after my run. Different sets of the following :
    • Good Mornings (I don't know what muscle group this exercise targets honestly, I never feel anything except a hamstring stretch)
    • Squats
    • Diagonal Lunges
    • Deadlifts
    • Renegade Rows
    • Push-ups
    • 2x 30s planks +2x 30s side planks
    • Clam Shells
    • Bridges with Leg Extensions
    • Bird Dogs
    • Dead Bugs
Saturday
  • Planned: 2 km WU + 8 x 3 min @ CV w/ 90 sec RI @ WU + 4 x 100m @ R w/ 1 min RI + 2 km CD
    • Completed: 6.3mi/10.14km in 1:10:34
  • I didn't do my CV intervals at all. Went running with my group again instead, since I thought it would help my mood to be around cheery running ppl. And I was right :)
  • The plan planned for a 1:11:40/10.26k run, and I ended up doing 1:10:34/10.14k, so not too far off. It probably didn't achieve the same goals however, since I didn't do CV/RI intervals.
  • My vo2Max went up to 42, which it has not been at since June 💪
Sunday
  • Rest day
  • My daughter has a cheer showcase, so I doubt we'll go out running tomorrow

With my run this morning, I hit 1000 miles for 2022. I achieved that goal on Dec 31st last year, so over a month earlier this time :)

Yesssssss. “Do you want the bigger one?” How is that even a question?! 😂😂 And the SS 10k medal matched the drink too!

I’m 100% sending DH over to get on the waitlist after the half since I haven’t managed to get a reservation yet.

Attachments

• 1AAE5859-A12E-4378-B1A9-37724DAF7DB1.jpeg
    1AAE5859-A12E-4378-B1A9-37724DAF7DB1.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3
I was looking through my W&D pics and I found this, only for you @Herding_Cats :) That blueberry mimosa was somethin' :)

View attachment 721949
I have to ask… Where can these blueberry mimosa be found?

ETA: Or should I try that one:
  • Flower and Garden Festival – Honey-peach freeze with blueberry vodka
I will likely only have one drink, maybe two during the Springtime Surprise weekend, so I have to choose wisely!

Last edited:
I have to ask… Where can these blueberry mimosa be found?

ETA: Or should I try that one:
  • Flower and Garden Festival – Honey-peach freeze with blueberry vodka
I will likely only have one drink, maybe two during the Springtime Surprise weekend, so I have to choose wisely!
It’s a brunch-only item at Homecomin’ in Disney springs. Which means Saturdays and Sundays until around 1pm (although I did ask nicely for one at 2pm during SS weekend so maybe they’re available until they run out in the weekends but they just don’t advertise it)

My new post HM goal is to try #allthemimosas 😂

So far I've done the Dole Whip Mimosa at WBG and the Blueberry Mimosa at Homecomin'

What would you suggest next? I was looking at Olivia's for next time, since it's easy to reserve and open till 2pm. But maybe the POG Mimosa at 'Ohana if I can score the ADR? Any other suggestions from my fellow princess runners?

My new post HM goal is to try #allthemimosas 😂

So far I've done the Dole Whip Mimosa at WBG and the Blueberry Mimosa at Homecomin'

What would you suggest next? I was looking at Olivia's for next time, since it's easy to reserve and open till 2pm. But maybe the POG Mimosa at 'Ohana if I can score the ADR? Any other suggestions from my fellow princess runners?
It looks like Whispering Canyon Cafe has a mimosa flight on their menu!

Mimosa Flight​

Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut with Pomegranate, Blood Orange, and Minute Maid® Passion-Orange-Guava and Orange Juices

$22.00

STK has a 90min bottomless mimosa (with purchase of an entree)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter