I think that was my last DCL Cruise

We sailed the Magic the week before this one in the Med and literally had the best vacations of our lives. Services was great, soda machines worked, ice worked, we arrived in every port on time. The shows were normal, well performed, and plenty for the itinerary. Wi-fi even worked like expected - not blazingly fast, but consistent enough for normal use. Adult evening entertainment was fun too. And the crew told us they raced to be the first in port to tender in Santorini. So they were for sure looking out for the guests. Our dinner service was exceptional too - probably the best we have had. Food was even better than I remembered on our last two cruises - maybe because I trusted many of the server's suggestions.

There were some reports of DCL excursions that weren't up to normal standards in our Facebook group. We did a mix of private and DCL, with lot's of research. The two DCL we took were mixed - one great, one ok, but about what we expected. All private were great - do your research and know what you want and what to expect.

The cruise was so fabulous that we are considering DCL for Alaska now, even though we promised ourselves we would try another line for Alaska due to Disney's lack of a permit for Glacier Bay. We just loved coming back to the ship every night, and every time I was happy I had stuck with DCL instead of other lines we had considered that were in port too.

Expectations are very high going into these very expensive (particular this person's 9-day cruise), so I can fully understand being disappointed if they weren't met. I'm not discounting this person's experience, but saying mine was 100% the opposite, despite extremely high expectations, so your experience may be great too.
Glad you were able to finally do the cruise. We are on the Magic to Iceland in August.

All three of our DCL cruises this year have been great - and two of them have been on the Magic.

Glad you were able to finally do the cruise. We are on the Magic to Iceland in August.

All three of our DCL cruises this year have been great - and two of them have been on the Magic.
Thanks! It was a long time coming, but all the planning, worries, and patience (or lack there of at times) really did pay off. Unfortunately for my wallet, we have been bitten by the European bug now and can't wait to go back. Enjoy Iceland! That sounds like a great cruise.

Sorry for your experience. Some of that is certainly troubling. Just so everyone else knows though, what you went through is the exception, not the norm. We got off the Magic 4 weeks ago in Europe with very few issues. The covid testing was a disaster since it was their first cruise out of Barcelona but everything else was perfect. We arrived on time at each port. Fireworks were great as usual. We saw all 3 shows plus variety acts. The only negative thing we both experienced was the lack of "ice" in the drink machines. That did get annoying when every machine was out, usually later at night.

We went ahead and booked a Pacific Coast cruise in January while onboard!

Judging from the Vlogs I follow the ENTIRE cruise industry is in a huge mess because they can't get staff. Getting Visas, vaccines combined with people just not thinking it is safe yet to return to work causing the mess.

Just got back from a 7 day western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. This was our first post COVID trip. The service and experience was at least 50% worse then our previous 4 DCL cruises. If you have a DCL vacation coming up be prepared for self service galore. The only consistent response from the on board staff was to look at the Navigator app. The info was there when it was not glitching or after you figure out where to look (good luck finding Dining options). We are DONE with Disney as well. Service over the last 5 years has plummeted from the Parks to the cruise as well as the resorts.

We've done 5 cruises since November, 4 on DCL, (1 WONDER, 2 DREAM and 1 FANTASY) the first being the EBPC on the WONDER which was the the longest post COVID cruise of any cruise line and found the service to be the same as our previous 12 others, including two other PC. Yes, using the phone app took some getting used to, but it always worked. We found the CM's to be just as friendly and helpful and at times more so than before COVID. As I mentioned on a previous thread, paper menus were always available and on the FANTASY we got them nightly without even asking. Our last cruise was with our entire family, 15 in all and everybody said it was awesome. Our one SIL has been in the food service industry for years and he was extremely impressed with the service and food quality.

Bottom line, I guess some do have a bad experience, but overall, to us, DCL is still the most impressive and our favorite.

I agree that many cruise lines are struggling post-Covid; of course, one major difference is that the response for a lot of cruise lines is to slash prices. It is tough to pay Disney-level prices and then to feel like you didn't receive Disney-level service :(

Haven’t sailed on the Magic since 2006, it was exceptional. We have sailed on the Dream last Oct, Fantasy in March, and the Dream again in May. Our Dream Oct experience was awful. The Fantasy was one of the best cruises we’ve been on. Dream in May was pretty awful too. We sail the Dream again this Oct, Wonder in Nov, Dec, and Jan, then Fantasy in April and Dream in Sept 2023. Hoping with the Dream sailing in Europe, it will be better! Also hoping our next HOTHS cruise in Oct is better than the past two experiences. Yet people have said the Dream is fantastic and they never have a horrible time, we must pull the short straw and get horrible service every time. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I was adamant we wouldn’t sail Disney again, but we had SB planned. Glad we gave it another go.

We sailed our 1st post COVID cruise in January on the Fantasy and I was not happy. I paid premium DCL prices and didn't get adult entertainment except trivia, daytime activities were almost non-existent and constantly repeated, and several of the shows in the Walt Disney theater were canceled. It wasn't a premium product. My second cruise post COVID was in April and we did a special rate for $136/nt per person. Since I paid so little, I wasn't upset that there wasn't as much entertainment. Service was great on both cruises but they both were lower capacity cruises. Most servers were on their first DCL contract, though many had worked for other lines. I think it will take awhile before DCL gets back to its glory.

I understand we are in a pandemic, but I’m not so sure if DCL should be cruising if they are offering Carnival service at Disney prices.

Just got off the Magic and it was not magical. They arrived at 3 ports at a later time without notification. We booked a lot of private tours because we were not fans of the ones DCL offered. We couldn’t contact the tour operators Bc the wifi rarely worked.

There were 4 shows in 9 nights. Almost every soda machine was either out of soda or out of ice. There were no cups in Cabanas. There were dirty dishes on all the tables. There were no fireworks and no explanation given. Food in Cabanas for breakfast wasn’t good - except for the churro Mickey waffles they had once. Cabanas was closed during dinner.

This could turn into a very long post if I listed all the issues. 😭 I didn’t even book a placeholder cruise onboard. I’m done.
By "Carnival Service", you mean "excellent", right? ;)

(Because it is.)

Op
I’m so sorry to hear of your experience.
I so wish you could have been on our sailing
We were on the Magic June 10 to 18th
We had the time of our lives. Everything one would expect fromDCL.
The only very minor disappointment was for the new Buz Lightyear movie to be shown but it sounds like it was only shown on USA sailing ships.
Wishing you more magical vacations

Yikes! I understand the feeling, especially because Disney is charging a premium price. We are doing a week long Caribbean cruise in 2 weeks in the Haven on NCL—private pool and sundeck, private restaurant, private bar, butler service, alcohol included, WiFi included, 450 sq foot room with balcony—and it still was $2500 less for our family of 3 than the Fantasy would have been.
I REALLY liked the haven on ncl. really really liked! Enjoy!

What was on the main theater the other 5 nights? I do understand that they couldn't put together more shows just for the small amount of 8+ night cruises.
The 1st night of the cruise, there was NO entertainment offered in main theater. I was shocked.

Pirate Night was almost a joke. The show wasn’t the same. The buffet afterwards was so bad I didn’t even eat anything. No theming whatsoever. No fireworks was icing on the cake.

Just got back from a 7 day western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. This was our first post COVID trip. The service and experience was at least 50% worse then our previous 4 DCL cruises. If you have a DCL vacation coming up be prepared for self service galore. The only consistent response from the on board staff was to look at the Navigator app. The info was there when it was not glitching or after you figure out where to look (good luck finding Dining options). We are DONE with Disney as well. Service over the last 5 years has plummeted from the Parks to the cruise as well as the resorts.
Same. First, I dismissed the Parks. Now DCL. I’m not okay with paying premium prices for half the experiences.

I was on that same sailing as the OP and LOOOVED my cruise! Out of the 17 I've completed def top 3 material!
- entertainment: 3 broadway shows plus Once upon a song and three guest performers is really not that bad imo The times they added a 4th broadway show are long long ago... and the welcome aboard and farewell show are build up wih guest performers. Nowaways these guest performers dont stay the whole sailing but board and disembard at ports of call so a hard one
- I had a great team in the dining room, the food was allright not bad not wow but that has always been with DCL imo. I was disappointed in brunch at Palo (my first time a la carte and I was ALONE in the restaurant)
- yes tours were terrible at times, my friend an I did seperate ones and we had several nope experiences
- I loved Cabanas selection and enjoyed lunch there often more than dinner in the main dining room
- we only had 1614 people on the ship, around 200 minus 18 and only 125 firsttimers so the ship was superchill
- even though I dont have kids I noticed few activities at the kids club and a lot of open house or freeplay but once again for a port intensive cruise this is not that exceptional.
- pirate night is not the same without fireworks and I dont like the current songs in the show. There was also a few things that didnt go they are supposed to be but one deck party doesnt break or make my cruise. i also found it very strange there was hardly anyone for the dance deckparty a few nights before

50 days til Iceland!

Make sure you email them all your comments and suggestions OP. They might be able to do something for you if you decide on another cruise or refund you something if you email them. I would definitely set expectations low for cruising. First time I sailed concierge and was so excited based on what I read about the wonderful service, it was definitely not as what I was expecting. Certain things they cannot resolve so you will have to email them.

I was on that same sailing as the OP and LOOOVED my cruise! Out of the 17 I've completed def top 3 material!
- entertainment: 3 broadway shows plus Once upon a song and three guest performers is really not that bad imo The times they added a 4th broadway show are long long ago... and the welcome aboard and farewell show are build up wih guest performers. Nowaways these guest performers dont stay the whole sailing but board and disembard at ports of call so a hard one
- I had a great team in the dining room, the food was allright not bad not wow but that has always been with DCL imo. I was disappointed in brunch at Palo (my first time a la carte and I was ALONE in the restaurant)
- yes tours were terrible at times, my friend an I did seperate ones and we had several nope experiences
- I loved Cabanas selection and enjoyed lunch there often more than dinner in the main dining room
- we only had 1614 people on the ship, around 200 minus 18 and only 125 firsttimers so the ship was superchill
- even though I dont have kids I noticed few activities at the kids club and a lot of open house or freeplay but once again for a port intensive cruise this is not that exceptional.
- pirate night is not the same without fireworks and I dont like the current songs in the show. There was also a few things that didnt go they are supposed to be but one deck party doesnt break or make my cruise. i also found it very strange there was hardly anyone for the dance deckparty a few nights before

50 days til Iceland!
So they did have some kind of entertainment on the nights without a Broadway style show? That is what I was confused about the OP's post. They made it sound as if there were only 4 nights that had a show and then nothing the rest of the time. I thought that was normal to fill in with other kind of entertainment the rest of the nights. I mean, you can't really work your performers 7 days a week with no days off.

So they did have some kind of entertainment on the nights without a Broadway style show? That is what I was confused about the OP's post. They made it sound as if there were only 4 nights that had a show and then nothing the rest of the time. I thought that was normal to fill in with other kind of entertainment the rest of the nights. I mean, you can't really work your performers 7 days a week with no days off.
yes exactly only the very first night the theatre stayed dark. The sailing before did not have Once upon a song so I'm glad we did get to experience the opening cause I didnt get to see that show in 11 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter