I think that was my last DCL Cruise

I’m on the Norway cruise and there are two ports where if you have a long excursion you’re going to miss main dining.

I prefer second so it’s not an issue, but I’d be pretty miserable if I just had pool deck food - although I do love the shawarma on the Magic and I could probably eat that for every meal if I had to.
Shawarma was not open at night.. only the part of the burgers and hotdogs was. Pizaa closed at 6 and re-opened at 9.30. I had roomservice the night I missed dinner

Magic cruising with 1900. So far most things open. Lots of Happy Hours. Bartenders tell me they have been swamped.

Well that’s ruined my plan :(
I was very surprised about that as well.... When I asked about it, I got answer insinuating it had only been like that.. since I hadn't cruised over 10y on the Magic I didn't want to go into a discussion about it and just went to the room and got roomservice instead lol

There are no fireworks in Alaska? I’m environmentally conscious and I guess that makes sense but it’s our first cruise, so sad face.😪

With DCL, when you travel makes a huge difference. For example, before knowing about Princess' environmental problems in Alaska, we recently booked a cruise on their line. To get a room that is about the equivalent to the DCL verandah, you have to get the mini-suite on Princess. Otherwise, you don't have the little couch on the side of the bed, which is really important to my wife for comfort. So that is what we booked. It was non-club level too. But then I started looking at DCL as an option, and found that if we sailed the same week, it was slightly less expensive on DCL. The same room just a couple weeks prior is nearly $3,000 more on DCL. We canceled Princess and are now looking at DCL or Cunard.

In other words, if you can sail when the kids are in school, it makes a huge difference, and DCL might not even be the most expensive option for comparable rooms. I get not everyone can do that, as this option is just opening to my wife and me now that the kiddos are headed off to college and we are going to do more traveling without them. But man, it sure seems like a bargain to start traveling with two people instead of four!

Edit: I just priced NCL Encore for the same time period, and it is about $300 less than DCL for a club-level verandah. It seems mostly comparable to what you would get from a Disney veranda, plus a few modest perks. But it certainly isn't the huge savings many assume you always get. I don't think the ship is what we are looking for for this trip, but it looks great for families looking for a variety of activities and eating options on board, and I like that it ports from Seattle for travel convenience. Looks like a fun cruise!
We booked our cruise over 6 months ago, the price has gone up several times since we booked. When DCL released their Alaskan cruises for 2023 I compared what we booked our cruise for and it was a lot more than just a few hundred dollars. We had always cruised in Jan when my dd was in elementary school. We had to start doing cruises during school breaks once she started middle school. I about died the first time I had to buy airline tickets during Spring break. My dd starts high school this Aug. Once she's off to college and dh and I can cruise anytime, I want to try out some lines that are for adults. The Encore ship is definitely more for my dd.

The didn't tell me til the day after that that could have been an option. But keeping that in mind for August!
Doesn't "change your dining time" come up on your reservation? I have always had the option to change my dining time to late if I wanted to. I am pretty sure that it is an option for most cruises to switch to late since most want earlier seating.

Doesn't "change your dining time" come up on your reservation? I have always had the option to change my dining time to late if I wanted to. I am pretty sure that it is an option for most cruises to switch to late since most want earlier seating.
I think they are talking about being able to change their dining time to the late seating for only one night, not changing all of their dinner to late dining. Like if on night 3 they are late for their early seating because of a port excursion and want to eat at the late seating instead.

isnt that to change it for the entire cruise? I like the early seating but there was one night out of the 9 that didn't work out for me.

isnt that to change it for the entire cruise? I like the early seating but there was one night out of the 9 that didn't work out for me.
Yes, That's if you want to change it for the entire cruise, not just the one night. If you need to adjust your time for a specific day, just talk to your head waiter the night or two before to give them enough time to accommodate.

Yes, That's if you want to change it for the entire cruise, not just the one night. If you need to adjust your time for a specific day, just talk to your head waiter the night or two before to give them enough time to accommodate.
I may need it one night on Iceland cause I have like a 9h excursion at one of the stops (not the overnight, that night I won't go to the dining room at all)

I think they are talking about being able to change their dining time to the late seating for only one night, not changing all of their dinner to late dining. Like if on night 3 they are late for their early seating because of a port excursion and want to eat at the late seating instead.
Got it. I would have asked to be able to eat at the later dining if I missed the main dining time. They always have space with the later dining.

I may need it one night on Iceland cause I have like a 9h excursion at one of the stops (not the overnight, that night I won't go to the dining room at all)
Do ask them. The late dining is not usually full and they most likely will be able to accommodate you. What I know about the cruise line is that they will do whatever they can to make you happy. They will even have someone get you a meal to take back to your room if you don't want to sit in the dining room.

Yes, you are right, I misread the post. Please know that they will do whatever they can to make you happy. They will give you food from the the dining room to take back to your room if you like also. Don't be afraid to ask for something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter