I think that was my last DCL Cruise

Mom2MoonKnight

Earning My Ears
I understand we are in a pandemic, but I’m not so sure if DCL should be cruising if they are offering Carnival service at Disney prices.

Just got off the Magic and it was not magical. They arrived at 3 ports at a later time without notification. We booked a lot of private tours because we were not fans of the ones DCL offered. We couldn’t contact the tour operators Bc the wifi rarely worked.

There were 4 shows in 9 nights. Almost every soda machine was either out of soda or out of ice. There were no cups in Cabanas. There were dirty dishes on all the tables. There were no fireworks and no explanation given. Food in Cabanas for breakfast wasn’t good - except for the churro Mickey waffles they had once. Cabanas was closed during dinner.

This could turn into a very long post if I listed all the issues. 😭 I didn’t even book a placeholder cruise onboard. I’m done.

Isn’t cabanas usually closed during dinner? Because if they are supposed to be open that be good to know because we would like to do that as a break from the MDR

On our Lufthansa flight, we were surrounded by other passengers from the cruise. We did not participate in their convo, but they all had the same sentiments.

Please make sure to buy water bottles or bring refillable. Cooling towels and umbrellas. Heat index every day was 100+

That's too bad! I do think it's a disadvantage of doing a unique itinerary, they aren't quite the well oiled machine that the others are.

What was on the main theater the other 5 nights? I do understand that they couldn't put together more shows just for the small amount of 8+ night cruises.

Just got back from 14 night Med Cruise on Princess and had similar experience. Only 2 shows over 14 nights - buffet was same, tired food - frozen pastries, Shore Excursions were all late, etc. I guess the cruise lines are doing the best they can do to Covid but travelers should lower their expectations big time!

Yikes! I understand the feeling, especially because Disney is charging a premium price. We are doing a week long Caribbean cruise in 2 weeks in the Haven on NCL—private pool and sundeck, private restaurant, private bar, butler service, alcohol included, WiFi included, 450 sq foot room with balcony—and it still was $2500 less for our family of 3 than the Fantasy would have been.

Goodness. Getting ready to board Magic in 9 days. Not what I am wanting to hear.

We sailed the Magic the week before this one in the Med and literally had the best vacations of our lives. Services was great, soda machines worked, ice worked, we arrived in every port on time. The shows were normal, well performed, and plenty for the itinerary. Wi-fi even worked like expected - not blazingly fast, but consistent enough for normal use. Adult evening entertainment was fun too. And the crew told us they raced to be the first in port to tender in Santorini. So they were for sure looking out for the guests. Our dinner service was exceptional too - probably the best we have had. Food was even better than I remembered on our last two cruises - maybe because I trusted many of the server's suggestions.

There were some reports of DCL excursions that weren't up to normal standards in our Facebook group. We did a mix of private and DCL, with lot's of research. The two DCL we took were mixed - one great, one ok, but about what we expected. All private were great - do your research and know what you want and what to expect.

The cruise was so fabulous that we are considering DCL for Alaska now, even though we promised ourselves we would try another line for Alaska due to Disney's lack of a permit for Glacier Bay. We just loved coming back to the ship every night, and every time I was happy I had stuck with DCL instead of other lines we had considered that were in port too.

Expectations are very high going into these very expensive (particular this person's 9-day cruise), so I can fully understand being disappointed if they weren't met. I'm not discounting this person's experience, but saying mine was 100% the opposite, despite extremely high expectations, so your experience may be great too.

Last edited:
We sailed the Magic the week before this one in the Med and literally had the best vacations of our lives. Services was great, soda machines worked, ice worked, we arrived in every port on time. The shows were normal, well performed, and plenty for the itinerary. Wi-fi even worked like expected - not blazingly fast, but consistent enough for normal use. Adult evening entertainment was fun too. And the crew told us they raced to be the first in port to tender in Santorini. So they were for sure looking out for the guests. Our dinner service was exceptional too - probably the best we have had. Food was even better than I remembered on our last two cruises - maybe because I trusted many of the server's suggestions.

There were some reports of DCL excursions that weren't up to normal standards in our Facebook group. We did a mix of private and DCL, with lot's of research. The two DCL we took were mixed - one great, one ok, but about what we expected. All private were great - do your research and know what you want and what to expect.

The cruise was so fabulous that we are considering DCL for Alaska now, even though we promised ourselves we would try another line for Alaska due to Disney's lack of a permit for Glacier Bay. We just loved coming back to the ship every night, and every time I was happy I had stuck with DCL instead of other lines were had considered who were in some ports the same days as us.

Expectations are very high going into these very expensive (particular this person's 9-day cruise), so I can fully understand being disappointed if they weren't met. I'm not discounting this person's experience, but saying mine was 100% the opposite, despite extremely high expectations, so your experience may be great too.
Thanks for posting. It is what it is. We decided on DCL for all the reasons you listed above and we have high expectations, but we’re going to roll with the punches. If it comes up short and we need to reconsider future cruises, so be it, but we’re going to enjoy the moment for 12 nights as we visit parts of the world we have never seen before.

Here’s hoping ours is just as magical as your experience. Glad you had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter