I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I took myself to the Courtyard to buy a $200 gift card on my Gold card with my new Amex offer. I got the great news email while standing at the desk. Now to see if it credits.

When I asked the young lady for a gift card, she says we 'don't sell gift cards here.' I said (sweetly) I bought one here a couple of months ago. She was very nice and immediately walked around to ask what I assume was a MOD and he came out and helped her with the transaction. Very easy! He even explained to me, 'You can use it at any Marriott, not just Courtyard.' So I got bold and asked 'How about at the SPG hotels?' just in case news was coming down the pike. Well, the answer was 'maybe. I think they have something to do with us now.' So, I let that one drop and we discussed the windy weather and I moved on to make my next stop at Panera.

Panera is one of my favorite places to eat because I can get soup. So, I paid for my items with the remainder of a gift card and at the ending of the transaction I asked to add in a $50 gift card as they have the $10 bonus cards right now. The guy asked me if I wanted to toss the empty gift card. I passed it to him and he set it down as he stared at the screen. I said the total isn't right. He says it won't let you pay with a gift card since you are buying a gift card. So, I said okay, I'll just take the card back. It had $6 and change on it and my purchase was $59.xx. Buying the new gift card nixed out the original payment which only partly covered the food! No biggie. I just got the card back and went over to the bakery counter and spent it there. But weird programming - you would think it could count at least.

On the way out of Panera an old guy sitting by the fire flirted with me - out of the blue! I didn't make eye contact or even notice him until he made a 'beautiful smile' comment. I'm older also, so this is not the norm, but I didn't mind, I just laughed and kept on walking. I wonder if he likes the beach or Disney, or even better, credit card churning!

Then on to Costco where I broke the bank spending almost $300 and couldn't use my gold card.

I couldn't even use it at CVS as my prescription was one of the free ones on my plan.

I have a few hundred more to put on it as I wasn't able to use it for one my insurances - didn't take Amex. I then tried to prepay my natural gas bill, but they didn't take Amex! And my doctor didn't yesterday! 3 in a row and I'm not used to that - previous Amex spends were no prob at all. This isn't either but I like to knock them out fast.

I could run around and get another $400 in Marriott gift cards with my offers but I don't want too many on hand.

This morning I took myself to the Courtyard to buy a $200 gift card on my Gold card with my new Amex offer. I got the great news email while standing at the desk. Now to see if it credits.

When I asked the young lady for a gift card, she says we 'don't sell gift cards here.' I said (sweetly) I bought one here a couple of months ago. She was very nice and immediately walked around to ask what I assume was a MOD and he came out and helped her with the transaction. Very easy! He even explained to me, 'You can use it at any Marriott, not just Courtyard.' So I got bold and asked 'How about at the SPG hotels?' just in case news was coming down the pike. Well, the answer was 'maybe. I think they have something to do with us now.' So, I let that one drop and we discussed the windy weather and I moved on to make my next stop at Panera.

Panera is one of my favorite places to eat because I can get soup. So, I paid for my items with the remainder of a gift card and at the ending of the transaction I asked to add in a $50 gift card as they have the $10 bonus cards right now. The guy asked me if I wanted to toss the empty gift card. I passed it to him and he set it down as he stared at the screen. I said the total isn't right. He says it won't let you pay with a gift card since you are buying a gift card. So, I said okay, I'll just take the card back. It had $6 and change on it and my purchase was $59.xx. Buying the new gift card nixed out the original payment which only partly covered the food! No biggie. I just got the card back and went over to the bakery counter and spent it there. But weird programming - you would think it could count at least.

On the way out of Panera an old guy sitting by the fire flirted with me - out of the blue! I didn't make eye contact or even notice him until he made a 'beautiful smile' comment. I'm older also, so this is not the norm, but I didn't mind, I just laughed and kept on walking. I wonder if he likes the beach or Disney, or even better, credit card churning!

Then on to Costco where I broke the bank spending almost $300 and couldn't use my gold card.

I couldn't even use it at CVS as my prescription was one of the free ones on my plan.

I have a few hundred more to put on it as I wasn't able to use it for one my insurances - didn't take Amex. I then tried to prepay my natural gas bill, but they didn't take Amex! And my doctor didn't yesterday! 3 in a row and I'm not used to that - previous Amex spends were no prob at all. This isn't either but I like to knock them out fast.

I could run around and get another $400 in Marriott gift cards with my offers but I don't want too many on hand.
Ha, ha. I went to Panera for lunch today also. You are right about the soup. I always get the chicken noodle. And I must have my sister's Panera rewards card because I got a free birthday treat and hers in Nov and mine is in June. So sad though since they no longer have the cobblestone which was my go to breakfast, snack, dessert, etc :(

I am happy to report that calling in for the AmEx Business Platinum still results in the 100K MR/$10K MSR offer. Thank you again @Lain for your help and for the contacts.

I now need to cancel another AmEx personal platinum card. I called in the last time I needed to cancel, but this is for my wife, and she hates calling. Can I cancel via chat?

Awesome news! Congratulations!

:cheer2::cool1:party::cool1::cheer2:
Yes, you can cancel Amex cards via chat. No need to call in unless you’re fishing for a retention offer.

Need some advice. I'm trying to buy one way tickets to Chicago. I can buy two for $140 each but if I try to add the third they are all $376 each. Should I buy one for myself and my 14 year old at $140 then buy my 15 year old's ticket separately at $376. I really want a non-stop that gets in around noon so my options are very limited.

I've done this before. Actually, several times. Often I'll find one ticket will be at the lower price and I'll buy that, and then another ticket for the same low price will pop up in the next couple days and I'll get that for DH. Is there any way for you to see the seating arrangements before purchasing to know if the flight is fairly full or not? If it's getting close to full then maybe don't chance it, but otherwise I'd buy the two and wait a day or two and see if the price on the third one drops.

This is what happened to me at Best Buy too. Tried to buy a movie and a Disney GC using a Best Buy GC for it and was denied. I ended up buying them separately.

Need some advice. I'm trying to buy one way tickets to Chicago. I can buy two for $140 each but if I try to add the third they are all $376 each. Should I buy one for myself and my 14 year old at $140 then buy my 15 year old's ticket separately at $376. I really want a non-stop that gets in around noon so my options are very limited.
I buy one way tickets all individually for our family of 5 just because if the price ever goes lower I can get it. Haven't had a problem yet.
eta with swa I just have to use my confirmation first to buy the kids tickets

Ha, ha. I went to Panera for lunch today also. You are right about the soup. I always get the chicken noodle. And I must have my sister's Panera rewards card because I got a free birthday treat and hers in Nov and mine is in June. So sad though since they no longer have the cobblestone which was my go to breakfast, snack, dessert, etc :(

I brought home a cherry cheese pastry which I'd never eaten before. Usually I get an oatmeal cookie for snack, dessert. The pastry was supposed to be for breakfast tomorrow but I made a 2nd cup of coffee and just finished enjoying it thoroughly! Bad me having 2 cups of coffee! Too much caffeine will keep me awake all afternoon and I won't nap!

But wouldn't Chase recognize that DH already have an AmEx account since I have to enter his DOB and SSN to set-up his employee card and just kick out duplicates?

AU are always temporary anyways on your credit report... If your not looking at Chase cards, i think AO outway the task of having it removed... thats just me though... lol

AU are always temporary anyways on your credit report... If your not looking at Chase cards, i think AO outway the task of having it removed... thats just me though... lol
Sorry, I wasn't clear. This was an employee card on my Biz Gold so no credit report to worry about :) And I see my mistake...it should have said AmEx instead of Chase.

I brought home a cherry cheese pastry which I'd never eaten before. Usually I get an oatmeal cookie for snack, dessert. The pastry was supposed to be for breakfast tomorrow but I made a 2nd cup of coffee and just finished enjoying it thoroughly! Bad me having 2 cups of coffee! Too much caffeine will keep me awake all afternoon and I won't nap!
I LOVE those pastries!!!!!!!!!! A little too much!

I am bored sitting in the sidelines. We just got back from our Disney trip that I paid for most with Chase cards. I am pretty maxed out with Chase.
I’d like to dip my toe in with Amex to hopefully get some good offers everyone gets. The only Amex I have is the spg business. Any recommendations for a beginner? I’d prefer no annual fee or low since I’m not saving for a particular reason.

age is such a relative thing. I know some on here are young with their whole life ahead - @speedyfishy - I'm looking at you. Others - 30ties and settled down (and making some of us think they are older gentlemen). And many of us 50ties - 60ties and retired or ready for it. I just glanced at the time and date at the corner of my laptop and realized that if she were alive, it would be my mother's 100th birthday. She passed in her 70ties and this is not a sad reflection, just an awareness of how life is and an appreciation for the ability to continue to enjoy it!

BTW - I left out the 40 somethings because in my experience no one wants to be reminded they've hit 40.

age is such a relative thing. I know some on here are young with their whole life ahead - @speedyfishy - I'm looking at you. Others - 30ties and settled down (and making some of us think they are older gentlemen). And many of us 50ties - 60ties and retired or ready for it. I just glanced at the time and date at the corner of my laptop and realized that if she were alive, it would be my mother's 100th birthday. She passed in her 70ties and this is not a sad reflection, just an awareness of how life is and an appreciation for the ability to continue to enjoy it!

BTW - I left out the 40 somethings because in my experience no one wants to be reminded they've hit 40.
Since I look like I'm in my 20s or early 30s at best, I'm ok being a 40 something :)

I am bored sitting in the sidelines. We just got back from our Disney trip that I paid for most with Chase cards. I am pretty maxed out with Chase.
I’d like to dip my toe in with Amex to hopefully get some good offers everyone gets. The only Amex I have is the spg business. Any recommendations for a beginner? I’d prefer no annual fee or low since I’m not saving for a particular reason.

I like my Amex Everday card. It gives 20% bonus MRs if 20 transactions are made. Not sure what the current sign up bonus is. There is no AF.

I so agree! My mother's 80th would have been on Thanksgiving day...she passed at age 60. I'm 53 now, planning to retire in 3-4 years. There are no guarantees in life! Time to enjoy is now!

OK - not sure if this has been mentioned here yet but RUN to the Chase UR Portal - search for ORLANDO - THINGS TO DO - THEN Click Universal Studios Tickets - scroll all the way down....... THERE ARE WDW TICKETS!!!!!!

Not that I need this NOW that I spent $900 in free/discounted Disney GC's the day before the price increase. Ugh.

But thank you!!!

Anyone else hoping they will put Disney hotels back in the mix????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter