I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot on this tread about the rotating rewards on cards like discover and chase. If anyone is wanting a constant 5% gas card Sam's Club is the way to go. I like that the cash back comes when statement closes but I find myself using the rebate. With Sam's Club the rebate comes back in a check every February. Also, the Sam's Club credit card also gets 3% back on dinning/travel. I use this for air fare since I am not loyal to any company I fly whichever is cheapest. Love it.

I never read about the Sam's card on the blogger articles. Likely, because the focus is on travel and getting the cash back or ability to use points immediately. On the cash back cards they usually write about the Barclay Arrival, Citi Double Cash, Venture and Amex Blue. The Sam's card seems like a nice method to max a cash back back card for those who don't mind waiting and can get great value from the bonus categories. Thanks for sharing that!

before i got involved with Chase UR, Sams Club was on my list on card to apply. It does have a $45 AF(for sams club membership) and it comes to you in check form and u have to go to sams club to cash it. I ended up picking another card over it (Salle Mae Mastercard). It comes close to Costco citi card though, 4% gas, 3% travel/dining, 2% costco. Its weird that the Sams Club doesnt have a category for its own stores...

Good card though, but still rather earn UR pts! haha.

I'm glad you brought this up.
I have a Sam's Club Mastercard that I got when I joined Sam's last September, and other than using it one time in the store (that day actually, they gave me my card number and I got a nice discount on my purchases), I've never used it. It's been stuck in a drawer ever since, mainly because I was thinking the means of redeeming cash back (once a year via check that has to be cashed at Sam's) was not the best.

But, if that check is at least $45 (and I drive a gas-guzzling F-250 pick-up plus have to put gas in two large mowers during mowing season (seven and a half acres to mow), then that cash back could effectively pay my Sam's membership.

Huh. Time to dust off that card!

So glad you posted!! Thanks!

I like the 5% for gas, does anyone know if this would count toward Chase's 5/24? Thanks

Help please!

This morning my husband and I applied for the Chase Ink Business Preferred. It is the first credit card application that he has shown any interest in at all! We got the "thanks for your application, need more time to review, let you know decision by mail in 30 days."

I am thinking now that maybe we filled it out wrong. Under business income we put our total gross annual income. (Over thinking it I guess). The nature of his start up business isn't easily qualified so we also were pretty vague about the description of the business.

He only has a Sapphire Reserve and a Disney with Chase and is under the 5/24. Credit from those two could easily be used for the Ink. Should we try calling? Wait for letter and then call? Send a secure message from his account? What would you all do?

I just feel bad he was not immediately approved since this is the first application he has show any interest in at all. Usually I just get the cards for him and he uses whichever one I tell him too.

Thanks!

I like the 5% for gas, does anyone know if this would count toward Chase's 5/24? Thanks

Yes it would. All new credit cards in the previous 24 months will except for a handful of business cards that don't report the new application to the credit bureaus.

Help please!

This morning my husband and I applied for the Chase Ink Business Preferred. It is the first credit card application that he has shown any interest in at all! We got the "thanks for your application, need more time to review, let you know decision by mail in 30 days."

I am thinking now that maybe we filled it out wrong. Under business income we put our total gross annual income. (Over thinking it I guess). The nature of his start up business isn't easily qualified so we also were pretty vague about the description of the business.

He only has a Sapphire Reserve and a Disney with Chase and is under the 5/24. Credit from those two could easily be used for the Ink. Should we try calling? Wait for letter and then call? Send a secure message from his account? What would you all do?

I just feel bad he was not immediately approved since this is the first application he has show any interest in at all. Usually I just get the cards for him and he uses whichever one I tell him too.

Thanks!

You did the income part correctly and you didn't get the 7-10 day message. That's the one you don't want to see. I'd let it ride and wait for an approval or decline letter.

We got the "thanks for your application, need more time to review, let you know decision by mail in 30 days."

You did the income part correctly and you didn't get the 7-10 day message. That's the one you don't want to see. I'd let it ride and wait for an approval or decline letter.

FYI - the "thanks" message you got after applying means nothing. This is a commonly misunderstood thing. When people in the know refer to 7-10 days they mean they called the Chase Automated Status Line. This can be reached directly via 1-888-338-2586 OR by calling 1-800-432-3117 and hitting #, 3, 1 (basically follow the prompts) and then check your status there. That line will say one of the following:
  • 7-10: days likely denial
  • 2 weeks: likely approval / still processing
  • 30 days: likely approval / still processing
  • Approved: you win
  • It will never say denied, basically just stays at 7-10 days for a month and then falls off the status line.
So just to reiterate...message on the screen or email received after applying = Nothing... Status Line = Great indicator

Ok guys I'm back with a tentative plan but need some more experienced advice. I've been listening to podcasts all day and reading......DH has a we'll established small business. He has to pay a supplier $5000 by the end if the week. How should he, or should he at all, stagger applying for these Chase cards: Ink preferred, CSR and Southwest preferred? The ink preferred is 80,000 right now, is that the one rumoured to be going up to 100,000 soon? The other 2 are 50,000. I am also going to be opening a few but he has a hard deadline of paying this supplier looming so we want to take advantage of meeting the minimum spend right away. Thanks for any help.

Ok guys I'm back with a tentative plan but need some more experienced advice. I've been listening to podcasts all day and reading......DH has a we'll established small business. He has to pay a supplier $5000 by the end if the week. How should he, or should he at all, stagger applying for these Chase cards: Ink preferred, CSR and Southwest preferred? The ink preferred is 80,000 right now, is that the one rumoured to be going up to 100,000 soon? The other 2 are 50,000. I am also going to be opening a few but he has a hard deadline of paying this supplier looming so we want to take advantage of meeting the minimum spend right away. Thanks for any help.

apply for 2. id apply for CSR and Ink Preferred. If your DH has an established business, 100k(already available in branch only) shouldnt be hard to get. Just call the chase around your area and see if they have a Business Managed banker. apply in person. Keep in mind though, the annual fee is NOT waived but the extra 20k makes up for it. He can also then apply for CSR. Of course, if you are gunning for a southwest companion pass, then you would want to include that in the mix of 2. If you do get the CSR/Ink, make sure u tell the banker to next day air the card to u.

FYI - the "thanks" message you got after applying means nothing. This is a commonly misunderstood thing. When people in the know refer to 7-10 days they mean they called the Chase Automated Status Line. This can be reached directly via 1-888-338-2586 OR by calling 1-800-432-3117 and hitting #, 3, 1 (basically follow the prompts) and then check your status there. That line will say one of the following:
  • 7-10: days likely denial
  • 2 weeks: likely approval / still processing
  • 30 days: likely approval / still processing
  • Approved: you win
  • It will never say denied, basically just stays at 7-10 days for a month and then falls off the status line.
So just to reiterate...message on the screen or email received after applying = Nothing... Status Line = Great indicator

I applied for the business and personal SW cards on the 18th. I got the 30 day notice for both and called in daily to the number referenced above. I don't know which is which but application #1 and #2 were both initially 30 days, on the 21st I received a vm to call them back. They verified my address (just closed on a new house so my address is new). She said it was being forwarded for approval. I asked if she was for the personal, she said yes, I also asked if that meant it was approved, she said no. Called Wednesday, one status changed from 7-10, the other changed to 20 days. Called the next day one card is approved the other (which I'm sure is business) is 7-10, where it is as of today. In your opinion, should I just wait for the letter or call them? I want to be able to use it for appliances while they are still on sale. Also, is the 30 days as of the application date or the approval date? If I get approved for the SW business I would like to apply for the United personal and Ink Preferred as soon as possible (and United business if there was anyway to get all 3 approved while applying on the same day, I have read there has been some success with this but I doubt I would be able to pull it off, especially since it does not sound good for my SW business).

Thank you

Just noticed that you recommend to wait for the letter, so that's what I will do.

I never read about the Sam's card on the blogger articles. Likely, because the focus is on travel and getting the cash back or ability to use points immediately. On the cash back cards they usually write about the Barclay Arrival, Citi Double Cash, Venture and Amex Blue. The Sam's card seems like a nice method to max a cash back back card for those who don't mind waiting and can get great value from the bonus categories. Thanks for sharing that!

You are welcome! Blogs are mainly used to promote credit cards and increase applications. You only will see stand alone cards being "pushed" on you. Store cards are up to the store to advertise.

before i got involved with Chase UR, Sams Club was on my list on card to apply. It does have a $45 AF(for sams club membership) and it comes to you in check form and u have to go to sams club to cash it. I ended up picking another card over it (Salle Mae Mastercard). It comes close to Costco citi card though, 4% gas, 3% travel/dining, 2% costco. Its weird that the Sams Club doesnt have a category for its own stores...

Good card though, but still rather earn UR pts! haha.

The Sam's Club card does earn 1% on all purchases so you still get something in store. But this is usually with every card.

I'm glad you brought this up.
I have a Sam's Club Mastercard that I got when I joined Sam's last September, and other than using it one time in the store (that day actually, they gave me my card number and I got a nice discount on my purchases), I've never used it. It's been stuck in a drawer ever since, mainly because I was thinking the means of redeeming cash back (once a year via check that has to be cashed at Sam's) was not the best.

But, if that check is at least $45 (and I drive a gas-guzzling F-250 pick-up plus have to put gas in two large mowers during mowing season (seven and a half acres to mow), then that cash back could effectively pay my Sam's membership.

Huh. Time to dust off that card!

So glad you posted!! Thanks!

Yes dust that card off! It is defiantly my go to gas card! I try to keep my rotating category cards (discover/chase) open for other merchants that particular quarter. I do not want my 5% rewards to get hogged up by gas. I also got a nice perk it was $40 off $100 purchase when I applied in club at Sam's.

I know a lot of people buy their Disney GC at Sam's for a reduced rate (I think it's 5%+/-), if you use the Discover or Chase do you get an additional 5%?

I know a lot of people buy their Disney GC at Sam's for a reduced rate (I think it's 5%+/-), if you use the Discover or Chase do you get an additional 5%?

Yes! I get mine a BJs online. Don't have a be a member. It's $100 gift card for $94.99 cheapest I've found. I've confirmed it does get the cash back from the website too.

Which Chase card earns the 5% at BJ's and what is the total savings on the $100 Disney giftcards? Outside of any special offer I have been buying my Disney cards at grocery stores with my Amex Blue Preferred for 6% back.

apply for 2. id apply for CSR and Ink Preferred. If your DH has an established business, 100k(already available in branch only) shouldnt be hard to get. Just call the chase around your area and see if they have a Business Managed banker. apply in person. Keep in mind though, the annual fee is NOT waived but the extra 20k makes up for it. He can also then apply for CSR. Of course, if you are gunning for a southwest companion pass, then you would want to include that in the mix of 2. If you do get the CSR/Ink, make sure u tell the banker to next day air the card to u.
Need a plan B. There are no Chase branches within 50 miles of me. The last few cards applied for I got almost instant approval. Is that a possibility here and if so isn't there a way to begin using the account right away before the card actually arrived? I do have one more question. If I open lets say 2 cards this week, does the clock start ticking for the minimum spend , in other words if I open 2 cards that each have a minimum spend of $3000 in 3 months, do i have to charge $6000 in the next 3 months? Hope that's clear, lol.

Which Chase card earns the 5% at BJ's and what is the total savings on the $100 Disney giftcards? Outside of any special offer I have been buying my Disney cards at grocery stores with my Amex Blue Preferred for 6% back.

Chase freedom usually earns 5% back at Warehouse clubs but it's not this quarter or next. If you get a discover card it's 5% back right now. Gift cards save you $5 for every $100 gift card you buy. Free shipping no tax. Comes in 5 days. Very fast shipping.

Chase freedom usually earns 5% back at Warehouse clubs but it's not this quarter or next. If you get a discover card it's 5% back right now. Gift cards save you $5 for every $100 gift card you buy. Free shipping no tax. Comes in 5 days. Very fast shipping.
So if it's not a warehouse quarter you pay the $95 and when warehouses are a bonus quarter you're paying probably about $91??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter